Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Obamacare MERGE Thread. All others merged here. RECTIFIER General Discussion 2285 12-21-2017 03:59 PM
New AK sales just got halted by the government...OFFICIAL MERGE THREAD Steverino Military Weapons Forum 159 08-02-2014 01:18 PM
EBT down-OFFICIAL MERGE THREAD! ALL EBT THREADS MERGED HERE Glock755 General Discussion 448 11-11-2013 02:21 AM
merge thread request Absolutely! Site Information & Suggestion Box 12 08-21-2013 11:10 PM
IL gun ban MERGE THREAD. Discuss IL gun ban here wtr100 Firearms General Discussion 190 01-07-2013 10:53 AM

Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,249 Times in 545 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
Would I still be affected on the west coast? How much? Would I have any chance of survival or if so, how long would I have?
For the most part, since the wind blows from the west to the east , you should be fairly safe .
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Passin thru is so right
Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,792 Times in 3,503 Posts

Finally somebody giving the Long Valley Caldera the credit it deserves!

Every couple hundred thousand years one of these things goes off somewhere in the world. If it's not Yellowstone, it's Toba or it's Long Valley or it's Taupo. Volcanic eruption is one of the few disasters where bugging out is the only option. Fortunately they don't happen without a lot of advance warning and big events are hundreds of thousand years apart.

Lot of smaller volcanoes going off all the time. St Helens, Pinatubo, Santorini, Lassen, Krakatoa, Montserrat, etc. It is part of the natural cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Hunter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
What does this 100 mile line represent? If the supervolcano goes, the concussion will circle the globe.

When Krakatoa blew in the 1880's, the sound wave circled the planet 11 times. It was measured in London just by chance. They happened to have recorders on those huge natural gas tanks with the floating tops. You know those huge white cylinders you sometimes see in industrial areas.

Yellowstone would be vast compared to Krakatoa.
Jellystone according to the experts is about 1 million times bigger then Krakatoa. They also call it the planet killer, as the educated figures are staggering to say the least. In short term affects, they figure about 10 % of the pop would expire and the long term effects bring that up to about 90%. The long term affects would be no sun to grow crops with, no grids anywhere on the planet, no transportation for the most part, which then says no food delieveries or rx supplies. No power means no tv, computers, phones etc No Nothing Then after a couple of years or so, they figure the ash cloud will be dispersed enough to allow the rains to once again start. The planet would go into a "mini ice age" if you will. It would drop a few degrees and that would make winter really tough at best. Not a very good outlook at all
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadja For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,417 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadja View Post
Jellystone according to the experts is about 1 million times bigger then Krakatoa. They also call it the planet killer, as the educated figures are staggering to say the least. In short term affects, they figure about 10 % of the pop would expire and the long term effects bring that up to about 90%. The long term affects would be no sun to grow crops with, no grids anywhere on the planet, no transportation for the most part, which then says no food delieveries or rx supplies. No power means no tv, computers, phones etc No Nothing Then after a couple of years or so, they figure the ash cloud will be dispersed enough to allow the rains to once again start. The planet would go into a "mini ice age" if you will. It would drop a few degrees and that would make winter really tough at best. Not a very good outlook at all
Thanks for all that. I am still curious about that 100 mile line.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for all that. I am still curious about that 100 mile line.
From what I have seen on disc. channel, and others it is where if you are within the 100 mile line, you would pretty much go with the first major explosion. That is the general feeling anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to nadja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Expndbl Scndry Chrctr

Being within the 100 mile line would be ideal in a massive Yellowstone eruption. The ones that died instataneously would be considered the lucky ones by the people who would suffer survival in a scenario such as this. Your best hope would be reincarnation maybe 50 years later. The Earth might be really pleasant at that point!
The Following User Says Thank You to MXJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,640 Times in 3,755 Posts

I'm well outside the 100 mile line, though still close enough to feel the heat if it did go off. I'd better stock up on marsh mellows and hotdogs cause if that thing goes, It'll be one heck of a weiner roast...smores anyone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Adventurer

I'm thinking I may just move to Canada :D East coast, too populated. Midwest, this thing. West coast..well, nuff said.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATLPilgrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadja View Post
just like the movie "the road"?
The Following User Says Thank You to m4bako For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp111 View Post
I don't live there, but I am there often and have asked the locals about an Yellowstone eruption. They look at you like your crazy. I think the Yellowstone eruption is more an Hollywood issure.
Have you ever looked at the ash map? I think you need to look at the ash map. Not only that, but lets consider that we can look back and see what has happened in the past to know what the possibilites are. To scoff is folly. Hence why the locals live where they do. It hasn't happened ever, so it can't possibly, that's just crazy talk, right?

I'm in AZ and I'm in the ash fallout zone. We're somewhat ready, still kind of figuring that one out. We have a couple of masks at this point, and the kids know not to turn on the a/c or heat to hopefully prevent the unit from sucking ash, and we'll close our roof vents. Right now I'm really not sure what else we'll be able to do, but sit at home and wait it out and see what happens afterward.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,554 Posts

I really liked this movie. They did a great job of depicting a plausible case scenario:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,548 Times in 10,480 Posts

go to myrtal beach and sail to uraguay
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Hunter

Why be concerned about something that is very unlikely to occur during your lifetime when there are several events just as bad as a Yellowstone supereruption that are very likely to occur and in just the next 10 years namely widespread economic catastrophe, famine, plague and war.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsidedigger View Post
Why be concerned about something that is very unlikely to occur during your lifetime when there are several events just as bad as a Yellowstone supereruption that are very likely to occur and in just the next 10 years namely widespread economic catastrophe, famine, plague and war.
Even if the odds are against it blowing up. There is no harm in being informed. All statistics point to the fact that it will most likely blow up again. Just because it doesn't make "your" top 10 list doesn't mean that others are not allowed to talk about it. So, why not leave the negative critiques out of the threads and allow the others to have an honest discussion over something that interests them?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,640 Times in 3,755 Posts

This thread reminds me I should take up Yoga...
I live close enough to yellowstone that if it ever does go super volcano, I'll need to be flexible enough to bend over and kiss my behind goodbye.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,548 Times in 10,480 Posts

Quote:
What does this 100 mile line represent? If the supervolcano goes, the concussion will circle the globe.

When Krakatoa blew in the 1880's, the sound wave circled the planet 11 times. It was measured in London just by chance. They happened to have recorders on those huge natural gas tanks with the floating tops. You know those huge white cylinders you sometimes see in industrial areas.

Yellowstone would be vast compared to Krakatoa.
its not the sound wave but the vibrations of the earth just like a siesmagraph can feel an earth quake a long way off the hundred mile line is your ****ed
Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM

HAARP can blow it anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenn197399 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Learning

Thanked 1,967 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
I really liked this movie. They did a great job of depicting a plausible case scenario:
YouTube - supervolcano part 1 1/6
Saw that one, it was pretty good. Gives the idea of Old Faithful a new meaning.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts

You could survive fairly easily in tropical places and near warm ocean currents.

Remember, all the animals in north america (bears, wolves, deer, etc) survived Yellowstone the last time it happened. It would kill anything nearby but it wouldn't be a "world-ender".

Surely it would cripple the USA. No country on earth could take that devastating a hit. Full economic shut down, complete chaos. Americans would be fleeing to Canada, Mexico, and Europe. The west coast would not be safe either. Without the food crops coming in from the midwest, which would be completely tanked, no one could remain near a city and live.

Yellowstone blowing would suck.