Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone measure their goats for me kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 08-15-2014 06:58 AM
Which powder measure? jodier7 Firearms General Discussion 26 11-06-2013 12:24 PM
Alabama: Governor Signs Omnibus Firearms Reform Bill into Law Tap Water Political News and Discussion 8 05-24-2013 09:20 AM
Sheriffs and others coming together TachMed Political News and Discussion 7 02-08-2013 02:45 PM
Alabama Members - Please visit the Alabama Group. Trekker General Discussion 14 04-29-2012 03:23 PM
who wants to measure for me? 8valve Firearms General Discussion 3 01-01-2012 05:32 PM
Why does a 5.56 measure 5.70, and... Just Jeff Rifle Forum 15 05-08-2011 07:50 AM
how ALL sheriffs should be like Dwind Firearms General Discussion 10 09-13-2010 03:51 PM
where do you measure a barrel? trixie Firearms General Discussion 9 10-27-2008 06:41 PM

Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,697 Times in 639 Posts
Default Alabama sheriffs unite against gun reform measure

Advertise Here

Recent article at Guns.com site:

http://www.guns.com/2015/08/12/alaba...eform-measure/

From the article:

Quote:
Bemoaning the loss of may-issue practices, a group of Alabama sheriffs assembled Tuesday to stand against a bill to expand carry rights to vehicles in the state.

At stake is a measure proposed by Sen. Gerald Allen, R-Tuscaloosa, which would allow the carry of loaded guns in vehicles by those without a current concealed carry permit. The measure passed the Senate Committee on Finance and Taxation by a 7-1 vote without debate earlier this month. The bill had passed the Senate as a whole during the regular session in May but was left in a holding pattern until brought back up in the current special session.

And the sheriffs do not want it.

“There’s legislation being put forward that wants to allow you to have a loaded weapon in your car, under your seat, without any background check, without any pistol permit as an extension of your home,” Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor said Tuesday. “And we are absolutely opposed to that.”
)))
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,624 Times in 6,837 Posts

I don't think that I would like living in Alabama.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 05:40 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,861 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I don't think that I would like living in Alabama.
Despite this exception, it's generally better than most of the rest of the country,as far as gun-rights go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,053 Times in 4,832 Posts

Sounds like the voters need to get rid of these sheriffs. Their arguments sound an awful lot like gun grabber arguments. If someone owns a firearm already that means they have ALREADY passed a background check through the NICS system when they obtained it. The only difference is they would have the firearm in their vehicle instead of at home. These sheriffs make it sound as if someone has a loaded firearm in their vehicle its the end of the world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,122 Times in 703 Posts

They like it so they can throw that extra charge of having a gun ,even though it is under the seat. I guess the juries here are more likely to convict if you have a gun.

My sheriff, offered to get a pic of my wife from her driver license and put it on her ccw license because she wouldn't take time to get it.

He wants all women to carry. Well maybe not all.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Despite this exception, it's generally better than most of the rest of the country,as far as gun-rights go.
When Alabama was a may issue state, in all but a few counties, the only thing that stood between a law abiding person and a ccw was the $20 they charged.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Never compromise.

Thanked 12,197 Times in 3,712 Posts

I still love my home state. But damn its messed up in some of its laws.

But, what can you expect from the state that outlawed dildos. Seriously. If that law got repealed, I've got no reason to believe that shall issue won't pass as much as we love our guns.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,253 Times in 5,001 Posts

I'm guessing those Sheriff's aren't Oath Keepers...
Old 08-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Hunter

Shall issue passed a few years ago. Alabama is a shall issue state. Open carry is ok too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Hunter

Out of 67 sheriffs, only 12 or so oppose it according to the article.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Alabama permits are issued by the sheriffs department and the fees go to the department. Since a lot of permits are obtained so that that the permit holder can keep a gun in the car (and they don't carry concealed otherwise), these sheriffs may be concerned about a loss of revenue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icanoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,624 Times in 6,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanoe View Post
Alabama permits are issued by the sheriffs department and the fees go to the department. Since a lot of permits are obtained so that that the permit holder can keep a gun in the car (and they don't carry concealed otherwise), these sheriffs may be concerned about a loss of revenue.
If the problem is a lack of profit, or revenue flow in a Sheriff's office during the normal course of granting our civil rights then the wrong people are in uniform.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 11:31 PM
Troll Slayer

Saw this, a Sheriff from a nearby count is one of the 12. Even though I don't live in that county I still wrote in a complaint then shared it on the local news channel's Facebook hoping others would at least copy/paste it to the offending Sheriff as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CritJoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,013 Posts

All citizens for which it is legal for them to own firearms should be able to carry, open or concealed, on their person or in their vehicles anywhere if you asked me. I believe in Constitutional open carry and Constitutional concealed carry.

The only reason to make it illegal to have a gun in your car is to be able to throw that charge on you and make you into a criminal . That is utter BS.

Felons are already forbidden from owning or possessing firearms; there's no need to create a new charge for them; nor will a new law deter them.. nope, those sheriffs should be fired & replaced. Nothing that they are suggesting will increase LEO safety; just laws to fine, and to turn the rest of us law abiding citizens into criminals ..
The Following User Says Thank You to MadDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,065 Times in 2,546 Posts

I'm not sure what they are so worried about. Anyone who intends to shoot at them if they are pulled over are likely already driving around with a loaded weapon and no idea what is is isn't legal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,813 Times in 654 Posts

You can already carry it unloaded and out of reach in your car now. You can also open carry, even though in some places one might get charged for "inciting a riot" or something if someone freeks out about you carrying openly.

I live in a town of 52,000 people (college town). I would not open carry in public as someone might freek out and call the cops. Now, I do know of a retired Army officer who carries his Colt 1911 openly when he is outside cutting grass or trimming bushes on his property. He just want's anyone who happens to drive by to know he is armed. I may start doing that myself as they are building a new high school 2 blocks up the street from me. Let the kids know I am armed and carry. Our town is fairly conservative yet still has a lot of liberal professors at the college, and a lot of out of town and out of state students. (Student population is 25,000). It is however an agricultural, engineering, vet school, big ROTC program, etc, thus the more conservative nature.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Troll Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude View Post
You can already carry it unloaded and out of reach in your car now. You can also open carry, even though in some places one might get charged for "inciting a riot" or something if someone freeks out about you carrying openly.

I live in a town of 52,000 people (college town). I would not open carry in public as someone might freek out and call the cops. Now, I do know of a retired Army officer who carries his Colt 1911 openly when he is outside cutting grass or trimming bushes on his property. He just want's anyone who happens to drive by to know he is armed. I may start doing that myself as they are building a new high school 2 blocks up the street from me. Let the kids know I am armed and carry. Our town is fairly conservative yet still has a lot of liberal professors at the college, and a lot of out of town and out of state students. (Student population is 25,000). It is however an agricultural, engineering, vet school, big ROTC program, etc, thus the more conservative nature.
Not trying to out where you live but it sounds like you live near a place that many SEC fans would call West Georgia.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:15 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,186 Times in 4,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6Niner View Post
I'm not sure what they are so worried about. Anyone who intends to shoot at them if they are pulled over are likely already driving around with a loaded weapon and no idea what is is isn't legal.
We can carry, loaded, and concealed in our vehicles as an extension of our homes. To the dismay of liberals, there is no "blood in the streets" here. Actually, there are few to no car jackings here either, come to think of it.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,813 Times in 654 Posts

East Alabama, WAR EAGLE!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Troll Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude View Post
East Alabama, WAR EAGLE!
Lol War Eagle my friend.