Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Vegan Preppers or Preppers with Allergies to food RebelQueen Food and water 67 10-01-2018 11:07 PM
North Alabama Preppers WoodsnwaterWPP Alabama 49 08-04-2018 10:02 AM
Identifying other possible preppers (Doomsday Preppers?) goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 100 07-01-2018 05:11 PM
**Ladies Section** Any Vegan preppers or allergic to food preppers? RebelQueen Ladies Section 29 03-31-2016 05:13 PM
Hello from Alabama xalah New Member Introduction 8 06-03-2013 12:38 AM
New Gal From Alabama Maiara New Member Introduction 27 06-08-2012 05:36 AM
Alabama Members - Please visit the Alabama Group. Trekker General Discussion 14 04-29-2012 03:23 PM
greetings from Alabama TacHipp New Member Introduction 19 06-15-2011 01:11 PM
Hi from Alabama XM15M4Guy New Member Introduction 21 01-07-2010 08:11 PM

Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 PM

Default looking for preppers in n e alabama

Advertise Here

Looking for preppers in dekalb county al. area . Looking to maybe meet in neutral place and share ideals with like minded people . On things like canning meats , vacuum sealing foods . Long term storage food you can buy at your local gocery store .
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Deo Vindice

I'm in Gadsden.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM

Thats close enough lol . You think we could get one or two to more to get together with us ?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Deo Vindice

I can ask around.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. boomer View Post
I can ask around.
Ok great . I dont kno any other preppers myself . All my family and friends think iam wasting my money or prob think iam nuts lol . Some agree with the concept and the need to prep but wont take that first step . I have even put out invites on other sights local to my area but no bites yet .
Old 04-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Deo Vindice

I think many are put off on face to face meeting unless there is a large group. Too many nuts out there, and nobody wants to end up in pieces somewhere.

I think that the "prepper" term conjures up a lot of unflattering stereotypes too.

Even the lame-stream media defines "preppers" as tea party nuts, or Rambo wanna-be's stocking up on ammo & beanie-weenie while living in Mom's basement.

I prefer to focus on things my grand parents did, growing and canning their own food. Stocking up on canned goods just in case, and preparing for emergencies. I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms and blizzards. I made notes then, what I needed but didn't have and planned accordingly.

Try appealing to farmers and home canners.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Yeah even some of my family think I must be nuts to waste my time and money on prepping . But you have to admit some preppers should be avoided lol . I hqve a friend that is gona help me learn to can meats this year . From ham to rabbits n chicken and such . Her mom used to can meats when she was a kid so she learned from her .

Please dont get me started on the media . That can turn into a long rant lol

As a young man I helped harvest the garden but never had anything to do with planting . So I am at a loss as where to start . And not even sure I wjll be physically able to do what is required to keep a garden up . I do well in very short spurts . But I had my first garden turned a few weeks ago .

I been working on radio Communications for me and my son . I think iam on the right track for cheap 20 mile are so radios with repeter ability . I am well pleased anyway and learning something new every day .
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM

I checking into solar panels . I have a small set up for charging my radios and a hand crank dynamo as a back up . I read where harbor frieght has a decent priced 3 panel solar panel setup I need to check into for lighting and such . Good thing iam not rich or I would have more stuff than a man would kno what to do with lol .
Old 04-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Jackson county
Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Deo Vindice

Quote:
I hqve a friend that is gona help me learn to can meats this year . From ham to rabbits n chicken and such . Her mom used to can meats when she was a kid so she learned from her .
The best stuff I've ever had was canned Caribou from a relative in Alaska. His canned salmon was great, but the caribou was packed with onions and garlic and kinda just melted in your mouth.

Grandpa packed his own whole kernel corn, green beans, potatoes, etc. Father in-law showed me how to can tomatoes and make "real" spaghetti sauce....and muscadine wine.

I have a building project that's taking up all my time at the moment, but I'm looking into exercise bike powered dynamo's to charge storage batteries, etc.

The main problem there is that a human can't usually pedal fast enough to power a whole lot of devices directly so you need batteries, and maybe a capacitor and the most you are going to get by peddling is a little less than an 1/8th of a horsepower. Which is around 93 Watts.

Not only that, 93 Watts of mechanical energy translates to almost 50 W or so of electrical energy, depending on your dynamo, alternator, etc and how efficient it is. But, I saw a guy years ago who rigged up gears and chains on an old Sears stand up exercise bike so that when he pedaled, the final wheel was traveling much faster than he was pedaling. The result was that he could power several bicycle dynamo's in series and could generate a lot of electricity pretty quickly.

Just have to remember how his set up looked. :/
Old 05-07-2015, 12:15 AM

Saw sum guys build a dynamo for a wind powered genarator . Wasnt really that hard . But those magnets are not easy to find .

My brother haa canned sum venison and says if ya dont put raw onion in it that it wont be fit to eat .

I wondered about an alternator an a weedeater motor . Maybe running the belt off of a bicycle wheel so the motor dosent have to run so high an rpm to charge a battery . Or even better a big truck alternator charging a series of batteries at once . Then break the series and just run 12 volt . A water wheel wud be even beter lol man power sux . i wonder if you can run a series of alternators . Wudnt help cuz u wud just have to step it down to 12 volts lol oh well