Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie in CO Springs Isheian New Member Introduction 19 09-01-2012 01:58 AM
new from Colorado Springs, CO modarmory New Member Introduction 10 08-26-2012 07:05 PM
Hello from Colorado Springs, CO jwgottabass New Member Introduction 18 06-08-2012 06:24 AM
Radiator Springs Robot General Discussion 0 05-29-2012 08:03 AM
Hi -- From Colorado Springs jinja New Member Introduction 19 11-15-2011 04:21 AM
Colorado Springs Hodgeman New Member Introduction 17 11-13-2011 11:05 PM
Hot Springs,AR saying hello...... Tigger61 New Member Introduction 16 05-07-2011 01:36 AM
Colorado Springs Lisanna General Discussion 11 01-09-2011 09:29 AM
magazine springs hkgonra Firearms General Discussion 3 10-13-2010 09:36 PM

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Default Manley Hot Springs......

Advertise Here

Would anybody here happen to know anything about the area south of there....say about 20-30 miles.........
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 02:51 PM

I did a project out there a few years ago. 120 miles from the nearest store, there are some strange folks out that way, like Deliverence style weird. Aside from the locals which account for a handful of folks, there is a influx of small claim miners who come to the roadhouse for a drink. The store/ gas station are owned by the same family which owns the roadhouse, thus they open and close as they please and I don't believe they stay open much past September.
IMO if you are looking for a bush experience that is not road accessible you might take a look at McGrath. It's one of the villages that I might consider ok to live in, and the hunting and fishing there is considered outstanding
The Following User Says Thank You to SunDog 907 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 AM

I know Manley well I trapped there.I know down river lots of sand bars wood chopper is ok hard damm country in the winter hard to get a job around there and the locals can be ass hats.
The Following User Says Thank You to pale horse For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,379 Times in 1,669 Posts

What exactly are you looking for in a place to live in Alaska........??? And roughly what do you bring with you to make that possible......?

There are many places you can live where you will have no human contact if that is a goal, and many of those are road accessible.

In Alaska just because a property is road accessible does not mean other humans.

I go to town (4) four times a year for supplies.......I only have human contact if I go to where there are humans. But I can drive to my property in 4X4 truck in the summer, or chained up most of the winter (the truck has a removable snow plow)........and if need be I can haul in supplies with a snow machine.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM

What I want is subsistence living......what do I want to take with me, at first as little as possible......I would'nt mind a set up like you described....sounds good....... I want to trap and maybe find some gold.....lol..........6.8SPC any info would be much appreciated........ Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,379 Times in 1,669 Posts

Well, you could have my set-up for $870,000.00

My point is it takes a lot of money to live the lifestyle you quest. I would suggest you budget about $15,000.00 for start-up cost to become a trapper, and you should be profitable with-in three or four years. So you will need another $8,000.00 to $14,000.00 for each of those years to subsidize the effort, and stay alive. So bring about $90,000.00 to $120,000.00 cash, work you butt-off doing a semi-dangerous trade for four or five years just to break even.

If you are serious........move to an Alaska city, get a job, work, save lots of money, learn the truth about the "Easy" & "FUN" and romantic life in the wilderness from those who are (Busting-Their-Butt) doing it.

Then just keep moving more and more rural. Your NOT going to just jump into what you want, unless you have a lot of money. For about a half-million you could buy a place, plus have enough to sustain you for about five or eight years.

Not trying to discourage you, but you should have been here 40 to 50 years ago. When land was free, Wilderness construction employment was available, and Alaska was just coming of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpayne View Post
What I want is subsistence living......what do I want to take with me, at first as little as possible......I would'nt mind a set up like you described....sounds good....... I want to trap and maybe find some gold.....lol..........6.8SPC any info would be much appreciated........ Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 250,453 Times in 30,357 Posts

That is a realistic and pretty accurate description of what it would take.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,204 Posts

Better yet... Please don't.

Not trying to be rude, but lots of people come up here with those ideas, get whipped, and go back home. I'd rather fewer people come up and leave our woods alone.

Alaska attracts way too many people full of **** and vinegar and something to prove.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Well if that's how you feel......I hope I don't run into you anywhere....you dont know a thing about me...........
Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,204 Posts

You would be correct. I don't. But I do know how people who fantasize about making it in the wilderness up here tend to be.

I also want to see more people leaving the state, not arriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpayne View Post
Well if that's how you feel......I hope I don't run into you anywhere....you dont know a thing about me...........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post: