Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,069 Times in 310 Posts

Advertise Here

Bobcat, I applaud your choice of gun. The .32 is a great caliber in spite of what the gun shop guru's and the sheep that follow them think. In fact, the most popular gun among the O.S.S. personal that got dropped into Nazi occupied France was the Browning designed Colt pocket model in .32acp.

Growing up in an inner city less than good neighborhood, there was a lot of guns on the street. Small .25's, .32's, and the ubiquitous .22 RG revolvers were common. They all killed or seriously wounded people. My friend Al was killed by a teenage punk with a Raven .25 auto. One shot right in the chest at arms length and that was it. My friend Eli was shot in the stomach with a .22 revolver and lived, but he was down on the pavement in agony. Getting shot by ANYTHING is very bad and maybe fatal. A .32 will do just fine. Don't get caught up in the caliber wars, most people have never been shot or even seen someone shot and just parrot off what they read on the internet or here from the idiots at the local gun shop.

As for the Ruger LCP, yes its a bit snappy, but the addition of a Hogue grip sleeve does wonders at taming it down a bit. Our daughter has one, and at first I didn't like it, but after two boxes through it after the addition of the grip sleeve I actually began to like it. Not enough to buy one, but the daughter loves it and it's her carry gun. My own preferences the NAA .22 mini revolver as a "get off me" gun. Look at the video from the president Reagon shooting and keep in mind Hinckly used a 39.95 RG .22 revolver. Nobody shot was up and doing the Walter Houston Jig because it was only a .22.

You've made a great choice!

Pay no attention to the keyboard commando's who have never shot anyone in their life or been present at a real shooting. If you ever have to use that gun, it will be at arms length, if that. Almost all assaults take place at bad breath range.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbl51 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,205 Times in 1,648 Posts

I am glad you found what you were looking for
I will stick with the 10 oz LCP II
I want better ballistics in a pocket-gun
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
I can't think of a better 32 then the Beretta Tomcat. Get an inox widebody, and it's the last 32 you'll ever buy. If the ammo was cheaper, and I could find a Tomcat for a good price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Beretta Tomcat in either the original blued version or the wider, heavy-slide INOX version WILL FAIL eventually when shooting Euro-CIP ammunition. I shot two of them to destruction. Frame cracks through thin section above trigger pivot and also at hinge pin. My original blued version failed before it reached 1000 rounds. The INOX version Beretta USA replaced it with went about 2000 rounds before the frame cracked. See the photo.

My deep cover backup now is original model Ruger LCP, DAO. I don't care for the LCPII with its Glock-style trigger, because I am an old wheelegun guy and want a DA pull like I am used to. Shot the heck out of my first one right away. After 1000 round shakedown with no bobbles, I bought a second one as New York Reload. DOn't use LCP as a primary carry, but as backup, low profile "Church Gun" and summertime walking down the beach bathing suit and flip-flops gun.

Better .380 pistol for carry is the SIG P230. Back in the 1980s these were a popular choice for SWAT, etc. to carry as backup under body armor. FBI-HRT, SAS, DEA and US Marshalls all had them. Shot one at Quantico instructor had, ended up with 3 of them! Most accurate .380 I have ever owned, a wee bit lighter and very slightly smaller than a Walther PP. P230 is more reliable than the Walther. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP if you have a German former police Walther PP replace the safety NOW before it fails!

I love my P230s. Again not as primary carry, but when on travel if companions are a carrying .380 rather than .38/.357, when in Rome do like the Romans do. I also have a P230 chambered in .32 ACP for the same reason. The .32 ACP P230 gets over 1200 fps with S-B steel-core PS Ball from its 10cm barrel and 1000 fps with 90-grain Hornady XTP .309" with 3 grains of AutoComp. No difference in energy than .380 ACP.

I don't know for a fact, but heard from retired DEA who has them that the later P232 with its MIM parts is a less reliable in heavy use than the original P230. The older models can be found on GunBroker used for $300-400. Original SIG mags are pricey, but the Pro-Mags work OK in my two .380s. The .32 ACP version requires SIG mags, for which I have five bought in Germany when I was last there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32ACP_HdyXTPExpTest3grsAutoComp.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	288194   Click image for larger version

Name:	32TomcatFrameCrack1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	288196   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP_BrokenSafety1.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	288198   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCP7ydsRP102GS.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	288200   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGP230.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	288202   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-B765SteelCore.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	288204  

Name:	Romanian765mmctgs.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	288206   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW2German765mm.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	288208   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW2GermanBringback765mmEstateCtgs.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	288210   Click image for larger version

Name:	JamO-Matic32ACP.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	288212  
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:

Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Awesome

Thanked 21,852 Times in 7,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
Bobcat, I applaud your choice of gun. The .32 is a great caliber in spite of what the gun shop guru's and the sheep that follow them think. In fact, the most popular gun among the O.S.S. personal that got dropped into Nazi occupied France was the Browning designed Colt pocket model in .32acp.

Growing up in an inner city less than good neighborhood, there was a lot of guns on the street. Small .25's, .32's, and the ubiquitous .22 RG revolvers were common. They all killed or seriously wounded people. My friend Al was killed by a teenage punk with a Raven .25 auto. One shot right in the chest at arms length and that was it. My friend Eli was shot in the stomach with a .22 revolver and lived, but he was down on the pavement in agony. Getting shot by ANYTHING is very bad and maybe fatal. A .32 will do just fine. Don't get caught up in the caliber wars, most people have never been shot or even seen someone shot and just parrot off what they read on the internet or here from the idiots at the local gun shop.

As for the Ruger LCP, yes its a bit snappy, but the addition of a Hogue grip sleeve does wonders at taming it down a bit. Our daughter has one, and at first I didn't like it, but after two boxes through it after the addition of the grip sleeve I actually began to like it. Not enough to buy one, but the daughter loves it and it's her carry gun. My own preferences the NAA .22 mini revolver as a "get off me" gun. Look at the video from the president Reagon shooting and keep in mind Hinckly used a 39.95 RG .22 revolver. Nobody shot was up and doing the Walter Houston Jig because it was only a .22.

Pay no attention to the keyboard commando's who have never shot anyone in their life or been present at a real shooting. If you ever have to use that gun, it will be at arms length, if that. Almost all assaults take place at bad breath range.
there are scenarios where i can understand using a 22 for deep cover or as a get off me gun, and thats because the .22lr ammo is dirt cheap and available in every store across the country that sells ammo.. .32acp falls somewhere between a 22 and a 9mm in capabilities, but far exceeds both in costs, and doesnt come near either one in availability... so from a prepper/shtf standpoint, a 22 makes more sense than a 32, although you are taking a significant hit on performance

last i checked, .32acp was close to $0.30/rd, i'll check again

$0.23/rd now
Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,331 Times in 3,813 Posts

I'd get a 22LR w/ pink grips for the Girlfriend and a 9mm for yourself.

I've been pocket carrying my Ruger LC9S Pro every day for the past month. With a mag carried in the same pocket and a pocket holster, it disappears in my Wrangler cargo shorts front pocket.

32 ammo is expensive and I just don't get the Hype.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,034 Times in 6,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post

I've been pocket carrying my Ruger LC9S Pro every day for the past month. With a mag carried in the same pocket and a pocket holster, it disappears in my Wrangler cargo shorts front pocket.

I agree pocket carrying is my most convenient carry method. LOL you would not believe the method I found for concealment and quick retrieval I found for my truck. Sometimes an idea is too good to share.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I agree pocket carrying is my most convenient carry method. LOL you would not believe the method I found for concealment and quick retrieval I found for my truck. Sometimes an idea is too good to share.
the visor?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
there are scenarios where i can understand using a 22 for deep cover or as a get off me gun, and thats because the .22lr ammo is dirt cheap and available in every store across the country that sells ammo.. .32acp falls somewhere between a 22 and a 9mm in capabilities, but far exceeds both in costs, and doesnt come near either one in availability... so from a prepper/shtf standpoint, a 22 makes more sense than a 32, although you are taking a significant hit on performance

last i checked, .32acp was close to $0.30/rd, i'll check again

$0.23/rd now
As a reloader, I can skirt that problem a bit. And if SHTF, the 32 is staying in the pocket and the full size 9mm is going on the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post

If I did that, I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a bigger gun later on though.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post

I've seen a couple fatal incidents first hand from 22 and 380. I also knew a guy who survived a 44SPL to the temple (failed suicide). Humans are weird critters. I'm more worried about having a gun and getting lead into the bad guy than how wide the bullet is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Awesome

if you want an excuse to buy something else, consider .32acp and 7.62x39 both have roughly the same bore diameter and twist rate... think chamber adapter
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 16,771 Times in 5,744 Posts

Today gun mfgrs are trying to make small carry guns, especially .380s, too light. Gives them "sales-counter appeal" but as several have said the recoil is "snappy". Hence the idea of a smaller round with less recoil. For my part I'll carry a Makarov if I feel a need a small gun. It's got enough mass that the recoil isn't objectionable, and fires a round that's got more punch than the .32 ACP. Not that I'm hating .32 generally. In the less concealable revolver format, much more powerful .32 cartridges are available.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,331 Times in 3,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Put it in your sock?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Today gun mfgrs are trying to make small carry guns, especially .380s, too light. Gives them "sales-counter appeal" but as several have said the recoil is "snappy". Hence the idea of a smaller round with less recoil. For my part I'll carry a Makarov if I feel a need a small gun. It's got enough mass that the recoil isn't objectionable, and fires a round that's got more punch than the .32 ACP. Not that I'm hating .32 generally. In the less concealable revolver format, much more powerful .32 cartridges are available.
the problem i have with small pocket guns in calibers like 380 and 9x18 is that you really get two options.. you get a blowback, which is most reliable, but is going to exacerbate recoil, and be even snappier, or you get a recoil operated gun which the smaller cartridge carries substantially less energy and bolt thrust, with much lighter slides than their 9mm and bigger counterparts.. so less snappy, but generally speaking, wont be as reliable

the fact i carry a makarov shows i decided to go with the more reliable blowback, but also the steel frame to mitigate a lot of the kick too and in my opinion was the better tradeoff over buying something like an LCP, but these are closer to the side and weight of a G19

the 32 you may be able to get away with a lighter frame, im not sure how id feel about the reliability of them being recoil operated like the kel tec.. i'd have to look into the beretta or the seecamp as alternatives, but if i was going to carry a .32 i'd likely end up doing so with a CZ70
Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,384 Times in 6,263 Posts

I see nothing wrong with a P32 or some other .32ACP gun.

For the comments that followed the OPís post....

I really donít understand some peopleís idea of ďproficiencyĒ.

I donít believe it takes 1000 rounds to be proficient with a specific gun.

And sights? Iím probably not shooting eyeballs at 25 yards, Iím shooting bad guy bodies at 10...or less. Itís point and shoot.

Recoil? Yeah, I dislike it. But I can mag dump a P3AT into a paper plate at 7 yards with no issues, despite only shooting a mag or two per range trip. I donít ďlike itĒ, but it works, and I can accept it. I mean....I donít ďlikeĒ a quarter twist throttle on my street bikes, but on a race bike, itís the answer.

Then I found a $170 Taurus TCP, in that pretty car ion fiber look, so now itís my pocket gun.

Iím not a Glock guy at all, but the SIL got a G43, and compared to my PF9, itís a really nice gun. Good sights, very nice trigger (even for a Glock) and far better recoil management, IMHO. Always wondered how the 42 felt. But at $150 more than a Ruger LCP II, in a larger size, I donít care that much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Hiker

Quote:
By comparison, 32 H&R is pretty tame, and can also shoot 32 S&W long/short, and 32 ACP (I'm going to come back to this last point in a minute) for lighter recoil practice. Also, the 32 holds 6 instead of 5 rounds, which for someone who frankly isn't going to practice a lot with their gun, nor is likely to carry a reload, could come in handy.
Quote:
Also, the 32 holds 6 instead of 5 rounds,
Sorry but the CA Undercoverette only holds 5 rounds. Most think this is because they can use the same 5 round 38 Special cylinders without having to make a new 6 shot cylinder.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercoverette

I am all for a 32 caliber gun. But I would want the advantage offered by the smaller round to load 6 in the gun. I have one of the S&W model 431PD guns in 32 mag and its the best of all the small J-Frame sized 32s. Too bad S&W doesn't offer them anymore.

I would look for an older S&W J-Frame 32 long model 30 or 31 in 32 Long before I bought the charter. They are a steel gun so are a little heavier but they are also softer shooting if thats important to you.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Sorry but the CA Undercoverette only holds 5 rounds. Most think this is because they can use the same 5 round 38 Special cylinders without having to make a new 6 shot cylinder.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercoverette

I'll be darned, you're right. I could have sworn it was 6. I guess maybe I got it mixed up with the LCR or something. That does throw a wrench in my works though...
Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Pusher of brooms

How about a Colt Agent or Cobra in .32?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:22 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
I think either one costs more than my truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
the problem i have with small pocket guns in calibers like 380 and 9x18 is that you really get two options.. you get a blowback, which is most reliable, but is going to exacerbate recoil, and be even snappier, or you get a recoil operated gun which the smaller cartridge carries substantially less energy and bolt thrust, with much lighter slides than their 9mm and bigger counterparts.. so less snappy, but generally speaking, wont be as reliable

the fact i carry a makarov shows i decided to go with the more reliable blowback, but also the steel frame to mitigate a lot of the kick too and in my opinion was the better tradeoff over buying something like an LCP, but these are closer to the side and weight of a G19

the 32 you may be able to get away with a lighter frame, im not sure how id feel about the reliability of them being recoil operated like the kel tec.. i'd have to look into the beretta or the seecamp as alternatives, but if i was going to carry a .32 i'd likely end up doing so with a CZ70
That's one of the problems with the micro 380s in my mind. The cartridge is being shoehorned into guns too small for it. I got my mom a Bersa 380, which is too big for pocket carry, but soaks up recoil pretty well. But it's bigger than my dad's Shield 9, so give and take.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Good guns, but highly collectible and pricey!

The later post-1960 manufacture steel-frame Colt Detective Special or Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police and the post-1957 S&W Models 30 and 31 will stand up to high volume use of heavier loads, approaching .32 H&R Magnum levels, whereas the alloy-frame Cobra or Agent, old S&W Hand Ejectors and prewar Colts will not.

.32 S&W Long Factory Vs. Handloads In .32 Revolvers

Remington cases, Federal 200 primers in all handloads:

Ammo Type_____________Colt 2Ē__________Colt 4Ē

PMC 98 LRN ____________687, 13 Sd______797, 17Sd

Remington 98 LRN _______645, 20 Sd______729, 12 Sd

Western 98 LRN (1960s)__643, 19 Sd______658, 22 Sd

Privi-Partisan 98 LRN_____656, 28 Sd______675, 11 Sd

Accurate 31-090B, 2.5 BE_731, 26 Sd______773, 11 Sd

Acc. 31-090B, 7.0#2400__860, 22 Sd_____1066, 31 SD
Post-1960 steel frames only! Max. load for 85-grain Hornady XTP, approximates .32 H&R Magnum

Accurate 31-114D, 2.5 BE_746, 9 Sd_______795, 15 Sd
Max. for alloy frames and pre-1960 revolvers

Accurate 31-114D, 3.0 BE_868, 10 Sd______902, 11Sd
Post-1960 steel frames only, approximates .32-20 Winchester factory load
__________________________________________________ __________
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-inchColtDS32.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	288328   Click image for larger version

Name:	ColtDS32NP.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	288330   Click image for larger version

Name:	BulletProfile32ColtNPvsS&WLong.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	288332   Click image for larger version

Name:	32SWLfiredIn32-20 005.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	288334   Click image for larger version

Name:	32SWLfiredIn32-20 001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	288336   Click image for larger version

Name:	32S&WLModTo90grainFN.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	288338  

Name:	31-090B-D.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	288340   Click image for larger version

Name:	31-114D-D.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	288342  
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 04:33 PM
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat In The Woods View Post
I think either one costs more than my truck...

That's one of the problems with the micro 380s in my mind. The cartridge is being shoehorned into guns too small for it. I got my mom a Bersa 380, which is too big for pocket carry, but soaks up recoil pretty well. But it's bigger than my dad's Shield 9, so give and take.
well when it was invented, the .380 was designed to fit for the most part existing .32acp pistols.. i think .380 and .32acp both are trying to be shoehorned into something too small, and if you get the metal framed versions of these guns, the size they were designed to be, a CZ70 in .32, a makarov, both are about the same overall length and weight as a G19

pocket guns of the era, the size people are discussing on this thread were the size that worked best with .25acp