New Interstate Through Texas or Revamping other Ones - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 AM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,176 Times in 826 Posts

Advertise Here

If the pace of work on I35 is any indication the project should be finished by 2099...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 03:48 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 52,632 Times in 18,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEastTexan View Post
I know that after huricane Katrina Hwy 69 from Beaumont to Lufkin and 69&59 going north from there up to i-20 were designated to be 4 lanes non stop once completed as a hurricane evacuation route after the traffic jam we had. Hwy 59 from Houston to Lufkin was added to that after hurricane Rita where the same thing happened. Our company has and is still having to move a lot of our fiber optic cable that follows 69&59. It just took a LONG time to really get things rolling, but we movedo our cable around Lufkin and Nacogdoches years ago for this project. The town of Zavalla is a train wreck right now.

I have been a bit out of the loop on this for the last few years as we contract out locates now, so this is the first I have heard of i-14. But at the rate it takes to get things done i-14 will be for hover cars and tanks before it's done lol. No joking here a TX DOT engineer once told me it takes about 10 years from initial project startup to get through design, approval, funding and final construction. Hence the reason everything is congested; it was designed based off 10 year old predictions of traffic needs in 10 years.
Having lived in Houston since it went from a very large town in the 60's to the megacity it is today, I have seen multiple freeways and 3 loops put over the decades. But there has never been a day in my life where there wasn't a section of I45 from downtown to Galveston where some part has the cones up for a section under reconstruction. They never actually get I45 completely finished. They just move the cones and barrels to a new section and work on that a bit more. Talking to older folks this habitual reconstruction predates me by over a decade. For the past 70 years a road crew has been working on this 50 miles stretch.

It brings to mind the ancient cathedral builders in Europe. There could easily be a 4th generation engineer or concrete pourer on the section of highway. It's good money being a freeway worker. Daddy gets his son the state civil engineering gig there and he tells his son that his grandson has a job already waiting on him in the future. Hundreds of years from now there will be some genealogist wondering where the surname Fortatfive originated from.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 9,634 Times in 3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
If the pace of work on I35 is any indication the project should be finished by 2099...
And then it will not be able to carry the increased traffic load so they will start over.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:

Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_]ni/\/\og View Post
Not even with I35
Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,217 Times in 3,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingyow View Post
Hmmmm! Do you think that "they" KNOW something? We never spent money for projects like this before. Maybe we should start researching if other states are getting similar projects. Lots of NOT GOOD things/changes on the near horizon! We need to increase our situational awareness!
Well, they've already been in the process of converting US 59 (Laredo to Chicago) into Interstate 69 for a number of years. We've been spending money on projects like this for years. I just think it's under most people's RADAR.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Projects ramping up in BASTROP county to improve US290 and SH71. Not for military readiness, no. It is to relieve congestion when Houstonians have to unass the area for approaching storms.
Couldn't have anything to do with the population explosion in Travis and surrounding counties? Naw, couldn't have anything to do with that.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Couldn't have anything to do with the population explosion in Travis and surrounding counties? Naw, couldn't have anything to do with that.
Federal grant money applied for after the Harvey grid lock and the resulting violence. There where shoot outs over the limited fuel supply, one less than 5 miles from the house. Widening shoulders to be able to use them as additional traffic lanes, putting in over passes to replace intersections with traffic lights to allow continuous flow, and making it so the east bound lanes to be shifted to counter flow are all part of the design.

The improvement in local commute times never entered their minds and will be a welcome side effect.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Federal grant money applied for after the Harvey grid lock and the resulting violence. There where shoot outs over the limited fuel supply, one less than 5 miles from the house. Widening shoulders to be able to use them as additional traffic lanes, putting in over passes to replace intersections with traffic lights to allow continuous flow, and making it so the east bound lanes to be shifted to counter flow are all part of the design.

The improvement in local commute times never entered their minds and will be a welcome side effect.
Got a source for that? All I could find was reports on separating the lanes with a median out around McDade.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Got a source for that? All I could find was reports on separating the lanes with a median out around McDade.
You should have attend the 71 meeting at the Bastrop convention center last week.

Most of the McDade stretch of 290 upgraded 18 months ago. Giddings to Brenham is finishing up now. Paige is next. Still waiting to see how they deal with the part in Giddings.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
You should have attend the 71 meeting at the Bastrop convention center last week.

Most of the McDade stretch of 290 upgraded 18 months ago. Giddings to Brenham is finishing up now. Paige is next. Still waiting to see how they deal with the part in Giddings.
Don't get up to Bastrop all that often anymore. My cousin is a muckety muck for TxDoT. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Don't get up to Bastrop all that often anymore. My cousin is a muckety muck for TxDoT. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Our resident engineer may be stretching the truth, not that a state employee would resort to such conduct, but that is the gist many of us took away from the meeting and the ones before it.