Safe storage of 1lb propane tanks - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 95 07-07-2019 07:23 PM
Different size propane tanks RossA Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-17-2016 11:43 AM

Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
There is a pressure-temperature relationship with propane. He's saying the warmer propane will have a greater pressure so it transfers easier. Some people put the 1-pound bottles in the freezer before refilling them. The will also store more propane, but I advise against putting more propane in a 1-pound bottle than they are designed to hold. Use a small scale when filling 1-pound bottles. Weigh a brand new bottle and never exceed that weight when re-filling the bottle. The weight of the empty bottles does vary by manufacturer.
Even freezing the empty bottles beforehand and warming the mother tank you are not likely to be able to overfill the 1lb'er.

Freeze a half full bottle and then go to refill from a warmed mother tank and yes that is going to hold a tiny bit more than it did when purchased new.

Not an issue if used right away or stored in the freezer until needed.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 02:03 AM

I think this has been covered but I thought I'd mention that my wife and I have been storing 25 one-pound tanks in an unheated/non-air contitioned room inside the house for more than 10yrs ... along with two 20lbs tanks and another 10 or so one-pound tanks in our garage (which gets ridiculously hot during the summer) and we've never had any problems. Not even the slightest leak.

Just don't leave them on your car's dashboard in the middle of August

Edit for typos
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Vane For This Useful Post: