Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2019, 02:27 AM

Default Need Advice

Advertise Here

Wife and I live in Pinellas County.She is a double amputee (legs), as well as diabetic. Our Apt is in a level C Evac zone. We've discussed staying put for a less serious storm, because our building is really solid.
If we did have to Evac, it would be to a special needs shelter due to her medical issues. I'm looking for advice on what to take, being that space in a shelter is so limited.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Trapper

Assuming you're talking about hurricanes, I'd think it best to focus on medications and food stuff that she can eat. As a recently diagnosed diabetic myself, I know the choices are limited, but the frequency in eating may vary due to the diabetis.
Then you'd want to prepare his/her bug out bags for the essentials. I don't know what the "special needs" shelter will/won't supply, but there's a list on this board to help with what might be needed. Thing is, you'll want to do the bug out bags BEFORE the shelter is warranted, i.e, ready & waiting to go .
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,108 Posts

Going to a limited space facility at the last moment doesn't sound like a great idea. Maybe you could get a volunteer position with perks like a close in parking space, good to have extra storage but liable to be broken into.
I just got a print out from my doc for my prescriptions. Good to have if pharmacy is shut down or no power or computer records available.
Ask center what to bring and see how you can help now. Be known and recognized. Maybe join cert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 04:16 AM

Great advice folks! Thank you!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,537 Times in 8,721 Posts

+1 for ask them what to bring. Great idea to see if you can get some training and become volunteer staff - helps insure your places. Being early to arrive is much better than late.

Does she walk? If so then extra socks if she uses them for the prosthetic. If she has a really good fit and doesn't use them, then have a few thin ones to compensate for weight loss. An set of extra liners. I would have extra cleaning supplies to keep the stumps and liners clean. Extra ointments for the stumps too.

Extra testing supplies and meds. Some insulin doesn't require refrigeration, which is much easier to deal with. I was so happy to get off insulin and onto pills that store well.

Diet and exercise is my best control device. When someone else is providing the food, diet is much harder. They might have different foods like white rice vs. brown.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,108 Posts

How is her mobility? I knew a high double amputee that used shorty stump covers or regular prosthetics and a cane to get around. Could even drive a stick with clutch though it had hand controls for gas and brakes.
My local senior center and soroptimists have medical equipment you can borrow, like canes, shower stools, mobility chairs, commodes.