Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-08-2019, 02:48 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,556 Times in 1,872 Posts
Default Need help with tiller (Husqvarna DRT 900 Rear-Tine Tiller)

Advertise Here

I am trying to use my Husqvarna 900 DRT rear-tine tiller today for the first time in two years. I did manage to get it started this morning after consulting the poorly written user manual and playing around with some of the controls on it. But I don't know if I'm even using it properly.

It does till - no problem. The issue is that I don't know if I'm starting and using the engine properly. One thing that concerns me is that I might be running the engine with the choke in the wrong position. One time I did that by mistake with my Yamaha gas generator, and it messed up the carburetor.

Here are the startup instructions in the manual for the tiller:

- Place throttle control in "FAST" postion.
- Push fuel valve to "ON" position.
- Turn engine switch to "ON" position.
- Move choke control to full "CHOKE" position.
- Pull recoil starter handle.

I know where the throttle control is - it's on the handlebar of the tiller - so no problem there. And no problem with the recoil.

My problems are:

I don't where where the fuel valve is.

I don't know where the engine switch is.

I don't know where the choke is.

Here is a photo of the right-hand side of the tiller. Approximately in the center of the photo there are two things I can move (i.e., "controls"): a black rectangular thing and, above it, a white irregularly shaped plastic thing. Each of these things can be moved left and right. I'm pretty sure one of these two things is the choke. The other is probably the fuel valve or the engine switch. There is an icon molded into the plastic below the black rectangular thing, but even with aid of a magnifying glass I can't figure out what it means.

I can start the tiller and run it with the rectangular black thing and the white plastic thing positioned at their midpoints, but I'm pretty sure that's not the proper way to run the engine.

The engine dies if I move the white plastic thing all the way to the left.

The illustrations and text in the user manual don't explain any of this adequately.

Any advice?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 02:56 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,526 Times in 5,582 Posts

I don't have that brand but it looks like that is the gas shut off/fuel flow valve. It should be open all the way when running. It does not have to be closed when you shut it off but it is a good idea to do so.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,491 Times in 899 Posts

The fuel valve normally will turn, and normally will turn 90 degrees.
From the pic, I would say the white lever is the choke, I would guess that moving it to the right turns the choke off.

At the 11 second mark of this video, the fuel shut off is red, and the choke is under it and to the right, silver control.

The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:06 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,294 Times in 8,915 Posts

The white one is the throttle. All the way left is off, and it should die. The black one is the choke, all the way right should be off. The fuel valve is a pet cock, should be a silver lever a few inches toward the front of the engine. The on/off switch is a black knob on the front of the engine.

It appears there are many different models.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/55...?page=7#manual
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,480 Times in 10,676 Posts

Use to own the same tiller. The bottom black lever is the fuel shutoff. You position all the way to left or right in order to be open/shut. The upper white lever is your choke. It also gets positioned all the way left or right for open/shut. When you go to start the choke should be full on until engine catches. Then you slide it all the way across. It helps to have a small amount of throttle open when starting.

Once running the choke being applied will kill the engine. The gas shutoff being shut will do the same though it takes a fair length of time. I used to shut mine off and still have enough gas to power roll the tiller back to the garage from the garden. Before quitting the engine lugs up and down. So I would turn off the ignition switch at that point.

ETA: If you look closely you will see symbols on the plastic shield showing a choke symbol icon for the upper control and a fuel valve icon on the lower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanks for the quick responses, everybody! I really appreciate it.

woowoo2, I actually watched that same video before I started this thread. Too bad the engine area on the tiller in the video looks nothing like the engine area on my tiller.

Matt: One of the things I'm always confused about is what is meant when somebody says a choke is "open or closed," or "on or off." Do "open" and "on" mean the same thing, and do "closed" and "off" mean the same thing. (I think so.)

And, do I want the choke open when starting a cold engine and closed once the engine is running well, or is it the opposite?
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:38 PM
reluctant sinner

To me choke open means it is off, choke closed is choke on - relates to the air flow.

You want to restrict the air flow to make the mixture rich when starting a cold engine. This is choke on position.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,491 Times in 899 Posts

When starting the choke should be on/closed
Closing it "Chokes" off the incoming air.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:53 PM
MyPrepperLife

So apparently I had it backward, charlie and woowoo.

You are saying I should CLOSE the choke (that is, turn it ON) to start a cold engine. I should OPEN the choke (that is, turn it OFF) after the engine has been started.

Ok.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Don't get me started

The other posters covered it, but to explain a bit, the choke controls a flat disc that closes off the air flow to the carburetor. When it is closed, less air gets in and this forces a heavier fuel mixture into your combustion chamber. This heavier gas/oxy mix is easier to ignite. Once your engine begins running it needs a higher oxygen flow in order to function properly so you turn off the choke which moves the disc edge on to the air flow and allows more threw.

Choke on, air restricted. Choke off, air free to flow. But I'm thinking we have had enough choking around for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 04:20 PM
MyPrepperLife

Okay, everybody - I'm in business! The tiller is running like a champ, with the white lever (choke) and black lever (fuel shutoff) in their rightmost positions.

I still haven't found the engine switch, but wherever it is, it is obviously in the proper state for running the engine. Someday I will find it, probably.

The main thing is that now I can till my little garden plot.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I'm thinking we have had enough choking around for now.
Puns are my favorite form of humor.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:21 PM
reluctant sinner

How long you leave the choke on when starting a cold engine is a good question. I usually have the choke in the full on position to start the engine, and then I start turning the choke off a little at a time. If its really cold it may take quite a while to fully turn the choke off.

If you leave the choke on for too long you can flood the engine and foul the spark plug, which can cause the engine to die and make restarting it very hard without pulling the spark plug.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
How long you leave the choke on when starting a cold engine is a good question. I usually have the choke in the full on position to start the engine, and then I start turning the choke off a little at a time. If its really cold it may take quite a while to fully turn the choke off.
I have developed a feel for this, because here in my area temps range from ~ -35F in winter to 90+F in summer, and I have quite a few machines with small gasoline engines (two ATVs, lawn tractor, snowblower, two generators, the tiller, and a couple other things). I do the same thing you do: push the choke in gradually. If the engine starts to die, I pull the choke out a bit, then try pushing it in again a few moments later. And so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
If you leave the choke on for too long you can flood the engine and foul the spark plug, which can cause the engine to die and make restarting it very hard without pulling the spark plug.
Right. I know better. When I made this mistake with my generator, it was because I was distracted by something just when I was starting it up, and I forgot about the choke. This is why I knew it was important to have the choke in the correct position when using the tiller.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Don't get me started

The engine kill is either a red throw switch on the side of the engine or it is the throttle full off position where it grounds out the spark plug.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 AM
MyPrepperLife

Hi guys.

The tiller has been working fine, except that it got some vegetation (roots) wrapped around the axle, or whatever it is called, that the tines are attached to, and so the tines were not rotating. I have been able to get it working again by using some tools to clean the vegetation out of there.

As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't believe I received all the documentation I was supposed to receive when I bought this tiller, and the videos and doc I'm finding on line don't match this particular tiller.

So, I have have a question about the two yellow dipstick-type things on the tiller. One can be seen and accessed from the back. The other can be seen from the front and could probably be accessed from the front, but that would be difficult because it is tucked away in an area barely big enough for me to reach my hand in. See photos below.

This is the view from the front.
The yellow dipstick cap is in the lower right.

This is the view from the back.
The yellow dipstick cap is sort of in the center of the photo.

One of the yellow things is probably the oil dipstick and the access to the oil-add orifice. The other is obviously for some other kind of fluid - maybe transmission fluid?

Does anybody know what these are for? At a minimum, I want to be sure the engine isn't low on oil, and I should probably check the level of the other fluid, too, whatever it is.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM
reluctant sinner

You should contact husky and get the proper manual for it.

The one in the top picture looks like engine oil dip stick and fill port.

The ones I found on line have a grease fitting, maybe it under that cap in the bottom pic.

It's really hard to tell from your pic's. Some engines have 2 dip sticks so depending on the application you have easy access to one of them.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Don't get me started

They are both for engine oil and are connected to the same sump. B#S designed them so depending on mounting you can access one or the other.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 AM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
They are both for engine oil and are connected to the same sump. B#S designed them so depending on mounting you can access one or the other.
Thanks so much, Matt.

So, just to clarify: I need to put the oil into only one orifice, not both - correct?
Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
Thanks so much, Matt.

So, just to clarify: I need to put the oil into only one orifice, not both - correct?
So long as you do not overfill it, Dealers choice.