Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
Price is open at this point, but I don't want to go totally crazy either. All suggested rifles in answers here are much appreciated and now I reckon it's time to do some more reading. But I have more than a few acquaintances stating, "AR-10 type rifle". So I asked a few of them that own one to take me shooting.
I would agree 100% with doing your homework prior to buying anything.

This might prove important since you mentioned Remington earlier.....

https://xmprecall.remington.com/

11B
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 03:44 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,076 Times in 1,685 Posts

So why again would you want/need a 12+ pound with optics 24-26" barrel length, magazine feed, tactical precision bolt action rifle when the SHTF.

I completely understand want or owning one for fun or competition. Or if it's used in your job.

But if you live in a heavy urban environment you aren't going to need to shoot farther than a simple bolt action in a simple hunting caliber. If you live in a country environment the same applies.

The idea of a sub MOA, 800m+ , tactical precision rifle, as you're go to gun for protection or hunting seems a little like sand blasting a soup cracker.

A simple hunting bolt action, in a common caliber, or AR-10 is more practical for a variety of reason, but primarily weight.

Don't get me wrong, THIS is a hoot to shoot. But definitely not practical for anything other than prone competition or bench fun out to distance. I don't want to lug this around.

This is a far easier rifle to deal with and gives the same results.

The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 04:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
So why again would you want/need a 12+ pound with optics 24-26" barrel length, magazine feed, tactical precision bolt action rifle when the SHTF.

I completely understand want or owning one for fun or competition. Or if it's used in your job.

But if you live in a heavy urban environment you aren't going to need to shoot farther than a simple bolt action in a simple hunting caliber. If you live in a country environment the same applies.

The idea of a sub MOA, 800m+ , tactical precision rifle, as you're go to gun for protection or hunting seems a little like sand blasting a soup cracker.

A simple hunting bolt action, in a common caliber, or AR-10 is more practical for a variety of reason, but primarily weight.

Don't get me wrong, THIS is a hoot to shoot. But definitely not practical for anything other than prone competition or bench fun out to distance. I don't want to lug this around.

This is a far easier rifle to deal with and gives the same results.

Why? Because puttin pigs in the dirt out past 800 meters is fun.
And you can stick me in any urban enviroment, and I can promise you that long range opportunities can be utilized. ( Need to know how to exploit them to your advantage along with the group you are with).
It is a specialized weapon better suited to it's primary tasks, just as your fine example suits your specialized role.

A "PDW " is not one of them, and would agree that a well built semiauto would be a more useful tool for what is considered here to be " more common."

4 examples below:

AK pistol : Primary task is as a personal defensive weapon. Dry weight = 6.7 lbs
M14 S : General/ All purpose / DM rifle. Dry weight = 8.3 lbs
Ruger GSR SS: All weather hunting rifle. Dry weight = 7.5 lbs
GAP10: Long range precision rifle. Dry weight is over 12 lbs

In this case ( thread specific) Weight of ammunition is the same regardless of if it is a bolt action, semiauto, etc........ ( Only way you get to lighten that load is to roll out with less ammo, other than weight of actual rifle.

More important.........overall length and balance via loaded weapon should be of a higher priority for intended/ expected tasks.
My example puts a GSR next to a " Socom 16 length " M14. Both are well balanced loaded/ ready to use, and the GSR weighs about 1 lbs less. For an all purpose go to rifle, the M14 is my preference despite that extra 1 lbs of weight, as semi auto more than makes up for it when it's needed.
Note: Pie a corner with one of yours, then try it with one of mine....for example.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_150138.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	287794   Click image for larger version

Name:	002_zps98f5bc0a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	287796  
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,076 Times in 1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Why? Because puttin pigs in the dirt out past 800 meters is fun.
And you can stick me in any urban enviroment, and I can promise you that long range opportunities can be utilized. ( Need to know how to exploit them to your advantage along with the group you are with).
It is a specialized weapon better suited to it's primary tasks, just as your fine example suits your specialized role.

A "PDW " is not one of them, and would agree that a well built semiauto would be a more useful tool for what is considered here to be " more common."

4 examples below:

AK pistol : Primary task is as a personal defensive weapon. Dry weight = 6.7 lbs
M14 S : General/ All purpose / DM rifle. Dry weight = 8.3 lbs
Ruger GSR SS: All weather hunting rifle. Dry weight = 7.5 lbs
GAP10: Long range precision rifle. Dry weight is over 12 lbs

In this case ( thread specific) Weight of ammunition is the same regardless of if it is a bolt action, semiauto, etc........ ( Only way you get to lighten that load is to roll out with less ammo, other than weight of actual rifle.

More important.........overall length and balance via loaded weapon should be of a higher priority for intended/ expected tasks.
My example puts a GSR next to a " Socom 16 length " M14. Both are well balanced loaded/ ready to use, and the GSR weighs about 1 lbs less. For an all purpose go to rifle, the M14 is my preference despite that extra 1 lbs of weight, as semi auto more than makes up for it when it's needed.
Note: Pie a corner with one of yours, then try it with one of mine....for example.

11B
I don't like to shoot things I eat at those distances. I don't like to walk that far. I do enjoy shooting yotes as far as I can see them.

Here is where you and I would differ. I don't see long range bad guy stuff happening. I want to interact with people as little as possible. I have the ability to do that where I'm at. But everyone will differ.

I would take a AR-10 and a AR-15 with QD optics choices, QD thermal and cans for all. I'd also take a .22lr, a .308 bolt gun and 12 gauge. Enough ammo to get along for a while.

Something semi-auto like these:

Thermal:

The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,482 Times in 574 Posts

New model, old name as in Mauser M-18.

Not overly familiar with an original but have shot a sporterized Springfield 1903 that my grandfsther brought back from his draft days in France during WW1.

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/26...user-m18-video

Comment, that lady in the video can flat out shoot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 06:26 PM

Another good value rifle to consider is Tika. They are guaranteed sub moa and are available in a number of different configurations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-line For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 06:41 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,191 Times in 830 Posts

I purchased a Howa ranch .308 several years ago, nice Hogue stock, came with an acceptable optic mounted, just a good all around, lightweight short rifle.

Has not failed on several hog hunts. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,063 Times in 353 Posts

go with Savage, i did and love it!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,846 Posts

Mossberg MVP. The early ones had some issues, but they are good to go now.

They are chambered in 7.62x51mm, take SR25 or M14 style magazines, and come with factory iron sights and a pic rail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 01:58 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,740 Times in 2,436 Posts

The Bergara B14 has everything, all the features out of the box.

M 700 action
Aluminium chassis
Heavy threaded barrel, can or muzzle brake ready.
Fully adjustable stock
Sako extractor
Ten shot detachable magazines
All the parts and accessories for M 700 easily available cheap and prolific.

All from the factory ready to roll. It's what Remington should have been making all along.

Just need a butt pouch with mildot master, small engineers ruler, Allen keys, mini screwdriver, blue loc, boresnake, spare firing pin, and bolt stirrup, half tooth brush.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 08:58 AM

Default question?

I'm new to the Forum have a 30-06 recently got a cartridge jammed. Now that I have the cartridge out I load my magazine put one in the chamber, fire, it ejects loads the next one in but doesn't reset my firing pin. what to do?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:19 AM

I have a Ruger GSR and absolutely love it!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,958 Posts

I don't see any difference between the 30-06 and the 308. I'm a big fan of bolt action rifles. I have a 308 built on a mauser 98 action. It shoots well enough. Choose a rifle that fits your budget and feels good when you hold it to your shoulder. There always add ons like triggers and what ever you can do to it once you have shot it a little. Most of the guys in my hunting group have a 308. I have never seen one in hunting camp? I pulled mine out of the safe 4-5 years ago, sighted it in with Barnes projectiles and put it back in the safe. It hasn't been out since.
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,923 Times in 7,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusstix View Post
I'm new to the Forum have a 30-06 recently got a cartridge jammed. Now that I have the cartridge out I load my magazine put one in the chamber, fire, it ejects loads the next one in but doesn't reset my firing pin. what to do?
gusstiks, we generally help with a thing like this by private message. Prevents loading the thread down with off topic things. You don't have enough posts yet to access private messaging, so I'd suggest finding some things to say so one of us can help walk you through your rifle problems.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,377 Times in 6,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusstix View Post
Find a forum that deals specifically with your brand of gun.

Then, take your bolt and gun apart and see if you broke anything while fixing it. Take pictures, it will help the guys on that other forum.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,848 Times in 2,594 Posts

Remington 788. Great rifles and known for accuracy. I've owned many. Don't break the bank either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Stolen Valor

Professional opinion, research Fort Greely.
Accuracy International.
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/

Spend your Republic Credits Wisely....................
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,561 Times in 2,077 Posts

Get a CZ or a Howa
Get something nice, quality, but not too expensive
CZ or Howa
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Get a CZ or a Howa
Get something nice, quality, but not too expensive
CZ or Howa
I agree Howa makes a dang fine rifle for a good price
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Prepared

What a great time to be getting into a bolt action .308!

I don’t believe there have ever been so many decent choices at amazingly reasonable prices since the cartridge was introduced.

Your biggest concern should be the niche you expect it to fill.

Your forum ID as “InfScout” gives me a clue that what you should have is something as close to Cooper’s Scout Rifle concept as you can reasonably cobble together.

Some adjustments you may choose to make would include elimination of iron sights and large magazine capacity. That reduces cost greatly.

You should be able to totally ignore the ability to replace parts. Today’s rifles should be plenty durable for you to experiment enough to trade up to whatever you want and not lose much if any of your initial investment.

You're ahead of the game if you know what kind of glass you want.
You’ve got the ammo.
Just pick up something for less than $300 and get started!