Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What phone OS do you prefer? (Android vs. iOS/iPhone) Lockheed The Tech Zone 31 12-14-2017 01:57 PM
Melenia cuts staff well beyond Micelle O's InfScout General Discussion 24 10-23-2017 06:11 PM
Minorities blast O's legacy of transgendered toilets & Obamaphones.! RECTIFIER General Discussion 6 09-28-2016 07:25 PM

Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,532 Times in 5,594 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
that daiwa switch will work, you just need so239/pl259 pig tails for dongles..

https://www.amazon.com/RK-SMA-PL-259...SIN=B07RT1HTN8
Yes, it will switch back and forth right? But both dongles need an antenna at the same time. That's the way to set up scanning trunked systems on SDR. You need two dongles, each with an antenna.

So the SDR side of the switch output would pigtail to a SMA splitter (not switch) with both pigtails out of the splitter going to the dongles, both being connected to the one antenna.

Is it possible? Or do I have to get 2 antennas?

Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,300 Times in 3,828 Posts

you got me stumped, but go here: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Catego...p?sub=0&ref=21

they may have it.....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Yes, it will switch back and forth right? But both dongles need an antenna at the same time. That's the way to set up scanning trunked systems on SDR. You need two dongles, each with an antenna.

So the SDR side of the switch output would pigtail to a SMA splitter (not switch) with both pigtails out of the splitter going to the dongles, both being connected to the one antenna.

Is it possible? Or do I have to get 2 antennas?

Try one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-RF-Mic....c100005.m1851

If you want the best sensitivity put an LNA before the splitter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Noise-L...4AAOSwhfxZbW~-

Get some SMA pads because you will probably have too much gain. Place the pads between the LNA output and the splitter. Try 3 or 6 dB if the front end of the SDR appears to have distortion.

Ideally the LNA gets mounted close to the antenna but being outdoors it's a challenge. Also LNAs and also SDRs don't have much surge immunity on the input. Good chance it blows the input if you have a nearby lightening strike. LNAs are cheap enough to act as fuses to protect the SDR. I'd still put a surge arrestor in front of the LNA with the lowest voltage gas tube I could find. (When you select gas tubes for transmitters you need to size the tube for the Tx power. For Rx get the lowest you can find.)
The Following User Says Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM

I finally was able to install Sigint OS and it asks for a password ... admin , password, root, administrator as password (and blank form) dont work.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Tried changing password on livecd to not requiring one, still asks for a password when install boots up.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Thanks!. I have been a Linux nut for over 30 years. This looks like a really interesting tool for any ham radio and Linux enthusiast.
The Following User Says Thank You to jose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Ok I have an SDR scanner related hardware question. Have any of you guys every built one?

To build an SDR scanner for trunked systems you need 2 dongles and either 2 antennas or an antenna splitter.

I currently have a single RTL-SDR which has a SMA antenna connection, some good cable (I think it's LMF400 IIRC) with PL2959 connectors and I have a Tram 1410 doscone antenna on order. At some point I'll be getting another RTL-SDR. Also in the future I'll build this thing into an RPi box with a touchscreen but that's irrelevant.

Note that I live really far out in the boonies so indoor antennas don't get me much traffic. My discone will be going on the roof and I don't want to run a 2nd discone and more cable.

Here is the question. What is a good antenna splitter to get from my PL259 cable to the 2 RTL-SDR dongles for UHF, VHF and possibly 800 Mhz? I understand I will probably have to use adapters, but what is a good splitter that won't lose too much signal?

Also, if I want to use the antenna to RX/TX on my UHF/VHF commercial style radios, what is a good antenna switch to use to go back and forth from that to the scanner?

Check out kerberos SDR for tracking
The Following User Says Thank You to R3mux For This Useful Post: