Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want Free Beer? Go Hiking in a National Forest. AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 4 09-29-2018 12:53 PM
Ocala National Forest meth problem? Dannythecat Florida 15 12-13-2017 09:48 PM
Buying land adjoining state / national forest area advantages and disadvantages? MikeSuvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 12-03-2017 08:36 PM
Hickory Creek Wilderness in the Allegheny National Forest dandanthearmyman Pennsylvania 0 01-30-2017 03:09 PM
Tipsaw Lake Trail-Hoosier National Forest Xi Bowhunter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 01-26-2017 06:28 PM

Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Best camouflage for Angeles National Forest?

Advertise Here

Hello. I have family members in La Cresenta that are planning to bug out to the forest. They wanted me to help pick out a camouflage pattern for them. I have been looking at images of the National Forest and it looks rather green from what I have heard. I was always told it was a desert. Would a brown or tan desert pattern work better than a green forest pattern?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,536 Times in 6,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide76 View Post
Hello. I have family members in La Cresenta that are planning to bug out to the forest. They wanted me to help pick out a camouflage pattern for them. I have been looking at images of the National Forest and it looks rather green from what I have heard. I was always told it was a desert. Would a brown or tan desert pattern work better than a green forest pattern?
Depends on what elevation they plan on going to. When you hike the forest the terrain changes from desert to pines. Plus if they bug out in winter they'll likely encounter snow, which your standard camp won't hide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 05:43 PM

TRyan has a good point the terrain changes as you gain elevation and time of the year has a lot to do with it. I live in the San Gabriel mountains Also and have a few different camos including snow that I will carry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistd For This Useful Post:

Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 PM

I go up to the radar range at the top of the mountain right in that area. Right now it's mostly just brush as it has been burned from the fires. Some trees in areas. I'd go with a green/tan camo. The darker the better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_070943.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	281452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171129_084820.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	281454   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171012_090717.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	281456  
Old 12-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,113 Times in 4,731 Posts

I don't know why I like it but the Army's new OCP seems to be very effective.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,251 Times in 8,943 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I would not use a patterned camouflage at all. Use a solid and add what is needed as needed. Khaki is almost always a good base. Very light tan can work well if snow is involved.

Avoid very dark colors, especially black. Avoid any clothing that has a shiny finish. Or treat it to remove the shiny finish.

Having three sets of khakis, all the same, and some attachable pieces to break up the silhouette, add appropriate colors, and are reversible is much better, in my mind, than three different sets of clothing each in a different camouflage pattern.

By having two reversible cloaks, you can have four camouflage patterns, plus the plain khaki which will work just fine when not in a wilderness area, where any camouflage at all is going to stick out like a sore thumb and draw attention.

Use role camouflage when needed, as well.

There are far too many possibilities to be able to cover them all with dedicated sets of clothing for each. At least I think so.

And just FYI: Black clothing, especially most commercial black clothing, is not the best choice for night time concealment. Much of it is fairly reflective until worn and washed many times. Whereupon it often gets pretty gray rather than just becoming matte. A very deep purple or very deep blue often works better at night, especially if treated to make them a matte, non-reflective finish.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,113 Times in 4,731 Posts

The color black is rarely found in nature. So agreed it's best to avoid it.

Here in the desert southwest, faded woodland actually works very well across most of the zones except for places out near Yuma. In that case I too would stick with a khaki or light tan color.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I would not use a patterned camouflage at all. Use a solid and add what is needed as needed. Khaki is almost always a good base. Very light tan can work well if snow is involved.
Why not a patterned camo? It seems to be much more effective than solid colors. During SHTF and when trying to bug out I can understand, but Post-SHTF, it will not matter as everyone will see you as a threat.