Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your favorite non-prep prep item? Alore Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 02-18-2019 09:16 PM
new to prep..think i live in a prep nightmare! itwprp11 New Member Introduction 34 01-08-2019 10:39 PM
When do your kids go from prep liability to prep asset? Jack1228 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 08-13-2015 11:00 PM
My Church Is Ready To Prep. What Do We Prep? Doginit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 01-10-2014 05:28 AM
PRINTER as a prep idea (Cheap Prep $$$) MikeV1234 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-24-2013 11:28 PM
To Reporters’ Horror, Minnesotans Following the Law burdock41 Political News and Discussion 0 02-19-2013 11:42 PM
Minnesotans! Beware! TXsurvivor Political News and Discussion 10 02-03-2013 10:11 AM
Prep to maintain standard of living or prep to survive? JohnWStiner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 01-28-2011 03:50 AM
Minnesotans for Global Warming Moose711 Jokes, Humor & Music 4 02-14-2010 05:02 PM

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,439 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesarechanging View Post
Now, the power plant scenario is much more plausible. The Monticello plants are older and still heavily needed. With that scenario, they could become more of a target. Fallout would depend on wind direction and weather, but it is something to be concerned about.
Furthering my concern is that there have been reports in the relatively recent past of unusual activities /vandalism at nuclear plants out in CA. Some reports characterized it as attacks on the facility with the intent of seeing what the response was, as in a recon mission of sorts.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesarechanging View Post
Now, the power plant scenario is much more plausible. The Monticello plants are older and still heavily needed. With that scenario, they could become more of a target. Fallout would depend on wind direction and weather, but it is something to be concerned about.
Furthering my concern is that there have been reports in the relatively recent past of unusual activities /vandalism at electrical facilities out in CA. Some reports characterized it as attacks on the facility with the intent of seeing what the response was, as in a recon mission of sorts. It wasn't a nuclear plant, but why couldn't one of those be the targets just as easily? My concern is the thought of a coordinated, simultaneous attack on several nuclear power plants.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...for-utilities/
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM
knowledge is power

I'll almost bet you that was an internal test of security measures, (or lack thereof).
Seal teams test out facilities here and especially abroad against attack by specifically playing the "bad guy."
They took out a bunch of equipment and never lost power - by whos decision did that miracle happen?
As one commenter on that link put it, how does someone spend an hour on a barret 50cal, walk away undetected and leaving no fingerprints?

As for the full scale war scenario, ask yourself if Hitler, in his final days, would have pushed the button? I can think of 2 political figures that have arsenals at thier disposal that imo would push it if they were going to completely loose power of thier country and probably thier life anyways.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Just a quick word of support for anyone currently accustomed to sleeping in climate-controlled conditions, and planning on surviving Winter without a warm living space. It will not happen wearing warm clothes inside a cold space. Your lungs are not used to breathing cold. You will get sick and die if you plan that way. You must have a warm living space, even if just a camper.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimveybe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Likes freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimveybe View Post
Just a quick word of support for anyone currently accustomed to sleeping in climate-controlled conditions, and planning on surviving Winter without a warm living space. It will not happen wearing warm clothes inside a cold space. Your lungs are not used to breathing cold. You will get sick and die if you plan that way. You must have a warm living space, even if just a camper.
Also, your typical sleeping bag will not be adequate to keep you warm outdoors anyway. I suggest you go buy the MSS (Military sleep system) bags. Since the forest camo has been replaced, a lot of these bags can be had for under $100 on Ebay. They come with a sleeping bag, and outer layer, and a gortex bivvy that all fit together and are rated to -40 degrees.

I've used them in subzero temps and they work great. But even so, you really should plan on a shelter of some sort if you will be stuck outdoors, even a canvas tent or enclosed trailer with a wood stove works good when needed. We often use such setups for hunting, and they warm up nice and toasty!
The Following User Says Thank You to timesarechanging For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 AM

Yes. One cannot sleep restfully if they are shaking from cold. I did not touch on a bag because my first priority is protection from windchill, and for that I need shelter. All in the cause of getting home ASAP. But of course you are correct; shelter itself provides no warmth, the body will be the heat-producer in many shtf bug-out scenarios, and that heat must be retained to achieve any level of comfort for rest.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your well thought out info about Monticello. I have shown my teens the outline of towers when in that area. They seem glad to be east and north of it. Don't know if that could make a difference. Heard the powers that be have upgraded it. Any true news?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Not to make light of serious prep education needed, but it occurred to me I need cases of flystrips or a honey maker close by to make my own. Then I need cases of canning lids with rings if possible. A case or two of miracle gro would be helpful. Extra rope that won't rot. For true comfort, I need a vodka recipe. Would appreciate a Prepper friend who can make that. Seriously. Heck, I figure most neighbors who work in town won't make it home if shtf. Especially in winter. Ready supplies if it came to it, except I know they wouldn't have extra flystrips or canning lids. I guess the library miles away might have books to teach me how to make vodka from old potatoes! Peace to all.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM

Default What we prep for...... well

As a former emergency manager i can tell you that both nuclear power plants and both refineries as well as the MOA are on the list of primary targets for tis area. Aside from that, we are the number 1 recruiting area in the country for terrorists. Of course all of the typical natural disasters. My biggest reason for prepping is that it is the responsible thing to do. In my opinion anyone responsible for other lives and does not do some degree of prepping is just not a responsible adult.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:40 PM

Default what do minnesotians prep for

1.) source of heat/power - a generac is nice with a 200 gallon propane tank $2500
2.) be sure to have a hand pump to place on the well head
stainless steel $1000
3.) firewood
4.) I love these, have at least 50 of those little dollar store decorative solar lights . I keep some charging in the sun, and when we get power outages (every winter), they work great indoors and hold a charge at least until bedtime , some times all night
5.) buy a half dozen solar lights, intended use is for security lamps. sams club has for less than $30 each Incredible light after 2 days in sunlight (for indoor use in basement to not attract unwelcome visitors.
6.) minimum 10,000 rounds 22lr ammo and three or more rugers with scopes, and certainly 10 or more 30 round quick clips
yes i know that other weapons are better, but ammo is cheap and scavenger able use the big stuff in your handguns for up close
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Yes, I realize that this is an old thread. That said...in addition to what everyone else has said about prepping for winter, I have this memory from when I was growing up on one of the farms.

We lived close to a fairly busy intersection in the middle of nowhere. During blizzards, it never failed that some seriously unprepared idiots would go off the road and stumble up to our house. My folks always took them in (not really much alternative) and let them sleep in the living room. For the most part they were scared city people who were shaken up by their circumstances. Regardless, my parents always kept a close eye on them to make sure they weren't trouble makers.

I was too young to really remember much of the conversations my parents had about this, but it happened several times each winter and I know they had some sort of logic/plan for what to do when it happened. This was the 1970's and if the power/phones were out due to the blizzards, then there we were - totally isolated in the country with complete strangers in our house for who knows how long. As a little kid, I thought it was creepy. It has stuck with me in terms of how I would respond in similar situations if SHTF - people coming up to your door, I mean.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Oalo: this scenario is familiar to me, but I lived in SD back then, lol. My dad would get out his really old tractor in the morning, use a chain to yank people out of ditch. Lmao, it was usually teens! We never worried if the people were bad, they just needed help. I live now in East Central (north) MN, and I stop to help people often who go in the ditch, have a flat. Karma can be a Good Thing. I get help when I need it, so does my young adult son and grandson. Couple weeks ago, my 18 yr old grandson had a flat (new tire, too!). His jack broke during changing tire. Called me, and in the few minutes I got up, dressed, he called back, said a guy stopped, used his triple A card, got somebody to change the tire: for free. The guy saw the kids all standing around the car with it's flat. Said he'd needed help a time or two also. And maybe in answer to the original site question " what do us minnesotans prep for?": Well it's that we are ready to help others!