Hunting with a short barrel shotgun - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who has a short barrel rifle/ shotgun and silincer? kukuri Military Weapons Forum 64 11-01-2015 12:31 PM
First Short Barrel Shotgun Project Underway patriots1787 Firearms General Discussion 4 12-31-2014 04:50 PM
Short Barrel Hunting Rifle? Yehudi Rifle Forum 8 10-27-2014 10:34 PM
Long barrel vs short barrel NY74 Rifle Forum 15 08-21-2014 08:17 AM
Which Optic for Short Barrel 5.56? goatscapeable Rifle Forum 30 05-06-2014 06:52 PM
When is a long barrel better than a short barrel AmericanPatriot121 Shotgun Forum 18 03-18-2014 12:33 AM
shotgun with rifled barrel...shotgun or rifle? lexmark Shotgun Forum 15 09-04-2013 07:54 PM
shotgun barrel question: better to buy a new 18.5" or modify existing barrel Casio Shotgun Forum 20 05-18-2013 10:28 AM
.357Magnum in a short barrel. JackBohm Pistol and Revolver Forum 10 11-24-2012 07:43 PM
Short Barrel .45 HP ACP Ammo Hungry Pistol and Revolver Forum 5 10-16-2010 02:08 PM

Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,946 Posts

Advertise Here

My son, who is becoming a lawyer bought a mossberg with short barrel for home defense. I chewed him out over the short barrel issue and for Xmas last year I bought him a 26" barrel to hunt with. One should always use the best tools to get the job done.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Prepared

Wink WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1 View Post
If you're getting a Mossberg 500, and want a barrel capable for HD and hunting, get whatever 500 you wnat, and then buy a 20' choked barrel. It's that simple.
I'll bet that 20 foot long barrel really REACHES OUT!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Prepared

Default Clays

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan saas View Post
ok what about the MOSSBERG SHOCKWAVE ??
I use my Shockwave for fleeing clay birds, fugitive plastic bottles, anything within 20 yards with 7 1/2 shot. Haven't taken it out with a hunting license yet, but adjusting the shot size to the game and distance, it ought to do the job.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:06 AM

Few months ago picked up a Midland Backpacker in 12ga. $150 https://www.shootmidland.com/product...ge-18-5-barrel Found it at the local LGS. Not many online at the time. Short. Well built and has interchangeable chokes. Supposedly, there will be additional rifle barrels out for it in the future.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,677 Times in 4,814 Posts

Necro thread revival but I'll play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
My son, who is becoming a lawyer bought a mossberg with short barrel for home defense. I chewed him out over the short barrel issue and for Xmas last year I bought him a 26" barrel to hunt with. One should always use the best tools to get the job done.
Depends. For turkey hunting I just bought a purpose built turkey gun that only has a 20" barrel. This will help cut down on weight as well as snagging on brush when sitting on the ground. See attached pic for visual.

It also doubles as a nice home defense gun with fiber optic sights, shell holder and adjustable stock.

For upland birds I like my Winchester SX3 with a 28" barrel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Gun.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	276568  
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
(Since I couldn't find a more retarded looking smilie). Nothing wrong with a short barrel for home defense- if he chooses an appropriate load (not birdshot) and patterns it. A longer barrel may have a smoother flow and follow up when wing shooting but it's not necessarily a "best tool" choice. A shorter barrel with an appropriate choke and proper loads will be much more effective than the wrong load and choke and the shooter's skill will play a major role as well.

The Mossberg barrels are thick enough to be threaded and you can have it done for very reasonable prices if you know where to look (ex. shotgunworld.com). I have shot skeet with an 18.5" H&R single shot 20ga, including doubles, to prove this point on more than one occasion. It's my tractor gun for shooting rats as well as my favorite rabbit gun since it's very quick in tight brush where you're not likely to get a second shot anyways.

The more you know.....
Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 2,898 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajatacoma View Post
I have shot skeet with an 18.5" H&R single shot 20ga, including doubles, to prove this point on more than one occasion.
Say what?!?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlrhiner View Post
Say what?!?
The H&R has had the barrel chopped and threaded for choke tubes so distance isn't an issue, just choose the correct choke.

The key to shooting a single barrel fast(er anyways) is to hold the second shell in your left hand (assuming right handed shooter). Fire, break the gun open (move your head slightly to the left or it'll nail you in the forehead with the spent shell), cock the hammer with your right thumb while popping the second shell in with your left hand then close it and shoot. It sounds complicated but after you try it a few times it's a lot faster than you'd think. I'm not saying it's the best gun for the job, only that you can make it work if it's all you have and you're willing to put some work into it. I have better guns for hunting and social purposes, but I have the H&R in my truck more often as I use it as a tractor, beater, woods, whatever gun.

It never occurred to me that it could be shot this way until I watched one of Clint Smith's videos. Darned if he wasn't right about being able to cock it while the breach was open- I'd never thought to try it. Start at 1:45

https://youtu.be/-NSLxxDWpOI
Old 08-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Curmudgeon

Ok, lets both get on the same page here. You shoot skeet with a single barrel H&R that you can hit doubles (stations 3,4,5) with that gun?!?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Midwest Born

When I was younger I would occasionally use an 18" double for quail and pheasant..but it was only when I was forced to be in the middle of the sloughs and other tall grass with marsh like soil. It was easier to get up and shouldered in 4 to 5 foot grass. That was before we had dogs and when I was the youngest hunter.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlrhiner View Post
Ok, lets both get on the same page here. You shoot skeet with a single barrel H&R that you can hit doubles (stations 3,4,5) with that gun?!?
You're talking a formal skeet range. I'm talking about informal, two skeets (clay pigeons or whatever you want to call them) from a thrower at the same time. No, I seriously doubt I could pick up the second bird on those stations with the H&R.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bajatacoma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Curmudgeon

When someone says they shoot skeet, thats formal and done at a skeet range. So's trap, 5 stand, sporting clays, they all mean something different, and each is done differently. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thats a pretty good accomplishment though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Around here skeet is a pretty generic term. Unless you say you're going to one of the clubs/ranges it's pretty common for folks to mean getting together and busting clays at the farm just for fun or when the dove aren't flying, etc.

I'm sure most folks who can shoot shotguns could do it with some practice. It was easier than I thought it would be but I also grew up shooting dove and quail (when we still had quail) as well as skeet (including on ranges ). I definitely wasn't new to break open guns either when I got the single shot H&R.

Like I said though, I'd never even thought about cocking the gun while it was open until someone posted that video on another forum and asked if anyone had tried it. He's pulling shells from the stock carrier but having a round in your left hand speeds it up even further. I found having the shell between my pointer and middle finger with the bulk of the shell pointing into my palm allowed me to use my palm and ring/small fingers to index on the barrel. Part of the reason this works is the H&R has a strong ejector, not an extractor, and it really kicks the spent shell out with some force when you snap it open. Obviously you want to use a dummy shell/snap cap to practice and always keep the muzzle downrange when you do try a live shell. Notice also Clint's trigger finger is pushed forward in the trigger guard but he hasn't removed it entirely from the trigger guard. It's not something I'd recommend a new shooter try but it looks pretty cool when it works.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Curmudgeon

That technique (holding the spare cartridges between the fingers of the off hand) originated with the nitro express dangerous game rifles of the late 1800 early 1900's. With practice, a very fast and smooth reload. Especially when something large that has either horns or teeth is trying to rearrange your general appearance.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,149 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
What is your opinion on using a short barrel shotgun (18 to 20 inches) to hunt with? Such as squerill(I know I spelled it wrong) or rabbit hunting? I'm looking at a Mossberg Persuader primarily for home defense but I want to be able to occasionally hunt with it also.
Im sure that within 3 pages of discussion, you have already heard the " get the perfect hunting tool" / HD shotguns are not for hunting , and so forth.

With that said, your shotgun will kill plenty of bunnies and tree rats, provided you know it well enough to use it in that application.

I have been hunting with mine since I traded for it in the early 80s. ( A Benelli M1-121 semiautomatic 12ga) Never needed multiple chokes/ bbls/ 3in shells/ etc.... for hunting small critters, hogs, coyotes, deer, or bear for that matter.

No reason why you cant use your shotgun for the same .

Mine pictured below, and exactly how I have used it for hunting, shotgun courses, skeet shooting, and as a fun gun since 1983 or so.( Last pic shows it next to my primary CF hunting rifle, which is also my primary rifle for security/ shtf/ whatever you wanna call it.) Don't have a need for any other shotgun myself.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171217_151015.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	278972   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171217_150913.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	278974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171217_150839.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	278976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_102914.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	278978  
Old 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,036 Times in 3,116 Posts

I have a couple short barreled options, honestly besides a .22lr they're the only options I would take with me into the bush.

The bush here is incredibly dense, good luck seeing 5ft in front of you and having a clear shot anywhere.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 AM

Picked up a used Tru Test 20g with the barrel (badly) cut down to 19.5"-19".
Got it for home defence primarily, wasn't sure about taking it out to gather tree-rats or any other small game or birds with.
I'm seeing a lot of "chokes" on here.
Until I can get the muzzle straightened out, I'm not gonna worry about putting a choke on it. Figured anything within 10-12 yards won't stand a chance with the #6 or #7 bird shot I have.
Looking to pick up a used 20g for my daughter for clay shooting (she joined a school club. I know, surprised me that they still have them too!) Just not sure what to get her (length, action).