Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleeping Bags in your BoB? Loxley Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 05-30-2018 06:27 AM
I'm new to sleeping bags, was thinking of getting a military surplus example... Punchy71 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 04-25-2018 09:10 AM
How to store sleeping bags in a seacan MsMaddy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 03-12-2018 11:13 AM
Keeping your feet warm? Red Dirt Walker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 90 11-27-2017 04:35 AM
Need some guidance on sleeping bags. SingleMomPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 09-04-2017 01:21 PM

Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM

Default Mountain hardwear sleeping bags

Advertise Here

Anyone have experience with their higher end bags?

What about big agnes, the ones where you can stick a inflatable pad in a pouch underneath
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 AM

I have owned both and have had pretty good luck with both. I use my Big Agnes bag the most because I like being able to insert my Thermarest into it.

It saves weight and bulk because they don't put loft into the underside of the bag where the sleeping pad goes.

It also like it because with a separate sleeping bag and sleeping pad I somehow always manage to slide off of my pad in the middle of the night.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM

What model is that bad and also How cold of a temperature have you tested it to?

How cold can it get while you still feel toasty and before you get actually chilly?

What's the bag rated for?

Reading reviews on line for these bags is extremely frustrating, because I read 5 reviews of people saying that the bag Works down to the stated temperature and then immediately five other people say that it sucks doesn't work/it only works about 20-30 degrees above the state of temperature

so I don't know what to believe

I've only tested two relatively cheap bags and although I survived I was not as toasty as in my bed.

Thre following is not just concerning sleeping bags but almost every other piece of gear like knives and water purification, etc...I am beyond sick and tired of stuff that works barely good enough. Good enough is not good enough for Me. I want the best

good enough as frustrating as hell
Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM

Yeah it is hard because everyone sleeps different. Your metabolism, what you ate for dinner, how big you are, what you are acclimated to, etc. all play a part in staying warm. What is warm and toasty for me may or may not be for you. Camping in the cold you are not going to be as warm and toasty as you are in your bed.

I don't remember the model numbers off the top of my head because my bags are each 10+ years old. But the Big Agnes bag I use is very similar to the Buffalo Park 40 degree bag. I have slept with it down to around the low 30s and been warm. My Mountain Hardware bag is a 0 degree rated down-filled bag. I have slept in that one down to around the teens and been ok, not super toasty, but not chilled to the bone either.

When the weather is above freezing I usually sleep in a light weight base layer with wool socks. When it is below freezing I usually add a mid-weight fleece and a beanie. Having a good 4 season rated sleeping pad makes all the difference as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .25 View Post
Yeah it is hard because everyone sleeps different. Your metabolism, what you ate for dinner, how big you are, what you are acclimated to, etc. all play a part in staying warm. What is warm and toasty for me may or may not be for you. Camping in the cold you are not going to be as warm and toasty as you are in your bed.

I don't remember the model numbers off the top of my head because my bags are each 10+ years old. But the Big Agnes bag I use is very similar to the Buffalo Park 40 degree bag. I have slept with it down to around the low 30s and been warm. My Mountain Hardware bag is a 0 degree rated down-filled bag. I have slept in that one down to around the teens and been ok, not super toasty, but not chilled to the bone either.

When the weather is above freezing I usually sleep in a light weight base layer with wool socks. When it is below freezing I usually add a mid-weight fleece and a beanie. Having a good 4 season rated sleeping pad makes all the difference as well.

Thanks. I love details
Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,952 Times in 3,700 Posts

When it comes to sleeping bags...

Light Weight, Warm, or Affordable. Pick Two.

At the high end, Mountain Hardwear makes good stuff, but you need a bit of nuanced experience when choosing bag ratings & fills. Most folks mistakenly err in choosing not enough bag. When a bag manufacturer claims a model rating of say EN Lower Limit 30F... that doesn't mean that you'll be toasty at just below freezing. It usually means you'll sleep chilly (even with added worn clothing), but survive. But inside of a lower rated bag (0F, 10F, or 15F), you will sleep nice and warm.

I carry bags rated for at least twenty degrees Fahrenheit below the worst forecasted temperatures. That rule of thumb has saved my butt many times. When it's predicted to be 32F or a bit under... I'm sleeping in a bag rated for 0F. If it's anticipated that a blizzard could blow in and drop temps to single digits... I'm snug inside of at least a -20F down bag.

It's damn near impossible to make a too-cold bag any warmer, but a bag that seems too warm merely needs to be unzipped to obtain ventilation comfort.

I own two Mountain Hardwear bags. I have never slept cold using them. Nor has anyone borrowing one of them. Then again, they're both rated for -40F. LOL. Monster synthetic bags, with too much volume (even compressed) for backpacking. But they are perfect for snow machine & towed pulk use. Or car camping. Or cabin/hunting camp occupation. They've lasted me through many winter seasons and feature excellent materials, design, and construction.

Mountain Hardwear falls into the same performance, quality, and price ranges of similar firms like Big Agnes, Marmot, Sierra Designs, Rab, the better North Face & REI bags, etc.

Better than average sleeping bags at prices ranging from mid-level performance & cost... to very expensive high end bags that handle extreme cold.

With sleeping bags, you get what you pay for. $120 bags will not hold a candle to $500 bags... even if they both "claim" the same nominal temperature ratings. But, if you are willing to carry a little bit more stowed volume & weight, synthetic fill bags can match much more expensive down bags (in terms of warmth)... for a lot less money.

Mountain Hardwear is a GTG brand that offers everything from casual summer recreational to professional winter grade bags. But do yourself a favor and buy more bag rating than you (presently) think you might need. 'Bout 20 degrees more. You'll thank me one day. I guarantee it.

If you really want the best (and don't mind paying for it), I'd recommend looking at down bags from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. They sell top quality models for every climate and temperature range... but with steep prices to match.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 PM

The type of bag you want also depends on what type of camping you plan to do and where.

The vast majority of my nights I spend in a sleeping bag are while backpacking so size and weight matter a lot to me.

What I have found works well is to get a bag like the Big Agnes I mentioned in my previous post that is cut large so you can use it alone in warm weather or as an over bag. Also get a 0 degree down. That way you can use either of your bags or both together depending on the conditions. That setup works for anything from a warm summer night to well below zero.

My 0 degree down packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread. My 40 degree Big Agnes overbag is even smaller. The two of them combined keep me as warm as a bag rated to -20 or -40 but the size and weight are more manageable even if I have to carry them both.

If you don’t plan to camp in the winter or it doesn’t get that cold where you live get a 20 degree rated bag and wear a puffy jacket and beanie if you get cold. When it’s warm wear baselayers and keep it unzipped.

A good sleep system is like outer wear, a system of layering is more effective than relying on one single item to do everything.