Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bore Boss Bore Cleaner Review AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-20-2018 01:30 PM
Big Bore Advice Woodsman 16 Firearms General Discussion 56 04-07-2018 02:51 PM
Looking for a new gun cleaner Joseph51494 Reviews and questions 17 11-30-2017 06:25 PM
Mossberg 500 12ga 24" Smooth Bore Barrel w/Cant. Scope Mount Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 07-14-2017 03:55 PM
Real Avid?s Bore Boss Pull-Through Bore Cleaner AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-19-2017 05:00 PM

Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,363 Times in 1,514 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
taufladermaus or however you spell it did slow mos of rifles forster slugs through a smooth bore barrel and confirmed that they did in fact spin out of the barrel...
How did he determine that? What was his methodology

That if is conflict with flash-xray photography results in BRL Report 1630.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Awesome

Thanked 21,751 Times in 7,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
How did he determine that? What was his methodology

That if is conflict with flash-xray photography results in BRL Report 1630.
they painted a stripe on the back of the bullet and filmed it flying through the air with a highspeed camera so they could actually physically see it spin

The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,080 Times in 1,589 Posts

Every single dollar, every ounce and any time spent on muzzle loaders, is all better spent on modern military grade firearms and training.

Sorry, Fred Flintstone, you will be long dead before or even if society ever collapses into so dark an age that we are using smooth bore muzzle loaders. Black powder is a hobby and has zero place in prepping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:

Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,866 Times in 708 Posts

Sorry. Typed a response and realized I don't care to post it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Hiker

If its the end of the world and you are the last man standing and all you have is a flintlock with a smooth bore then you planned poorly. A good smooth bore will cost you $1200+ dollars like the one Mike Beleview was using. For that amount you could buy a single shot shotgun a 22 and a 30-30 rifle and all the ammo you will need and be better armed.

Now is the time to plan. If you wait you lose.

I edited some of what I wrote. Those that wanted to see it should have by now and some prying eyes don't need to see.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM

You have to remember, the First Civil War of the American Continent is the first time the English had people firing back at them with anything other than spears and arrows. Accuracy didn't matter, it was just a longer range, and greater ammo count per person than that of the longbow. Smooth bores are just as accurate with a patched ball as they are with shot for same distance. As an aside, them living at that period didn't go out and hunt for food, They walked their trap and deadfall lines, collecting whatever they caught/trapped with the least energy expended.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Hiker

Quote:
As an aside, them living at that period didn't go out and hunt for food, They walked their trap and deadfall lines, collecting whatever they caught/trapped with the least energy expended.
Sorry but thats wrong. People have been hunting with firearms since firearms were first invented. People have been hunting for food ever since they attached a sharp rock on the end of a stick.

Quote:
You have to remember, the First Civil War of the American Continent is the first time the English had people firing back at them with anything other than spears and arrows.
The French were firing guns at the English way before the American revolution. The French and English/British have been at war with each other since around the 1100s when the British were called Saxons. I am sure they were firing at each other as soon as they had guns and cannons.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 5,707 Times in 2,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Accurate enough to send Old King George's boys running. ;-)
Well said.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Hiker

From the original post.

Quote:
so when shooting for accuracy, using a tighter fitting ball, maybe no patch and sized to shave a bit of lead.. i think you could probably get better than fist size groups at 50, which should be good enough for deer out to 100
Any ball that shaves lead at the muzzle will have to be beat down the barrel all the way to the powder. Normally not considered good for accuracy. The patched ball would be a better choice. But being able to put a round ball from a smooth bore in to the kill zone every time at 100 yards is most likely not in the cards. And the game deserve this level of accuracy.

There is nothing wrong with a smooth bore for a hunting gun. No matter if its a BP or smokeless powered gun. But if you are going to depend on a smooth bore you better know how to hunt and how to get close enough to make your shot count. I would think 50-60 yards tops for deer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,775 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
so when shooting for accuracy, using a tighter fitting ball, maybe no patch and sized to shave a bit of lead.. i think you could probably get better than fist size groups at 50, which should be good enough for deer out to 100
That works fine in BP revolvers, but no so much in long guns.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,515 Times in 8,127 Posts

M1 Abrams 120mm main gun. Smooth bore. Fin stabilized, discarding sabot. 20# projectile doing 5200 feet per second at the muzzle (theoretical max is 5600 fps burning gun powder). First round hits at 2 miles. Hell of a varmint gun.

In WWII the nazi's used the ground mount 88mm (rifled) as a sniper rifle out in the wide open desert.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
Hiker

Quote:
M1 Abrams 120mm main gun. Smooth bore. Fin stabilized, discarding sabot. 20# projectile doing 5200 feet per second at the muzzle (theoretical max is 5600 fps burning gun powder). First round hits at 2 miles. Hell of a varmint gun.
What does that have to do with a smooth bore BP musket?

I am guessing everyone here knows how tank rounds work but that type of ammo will never be used in a smooth bore BP gun.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
reluctant sinner

To answer the OP question, I think there is potential for surprising accuracy with a smooth bore. Thus the 120 mm Rheinmetall example.

I had plans to make sabots for bushing out 162 gr 7mm boattails to 45 cal. for my 45-350 RM P. O. Ackley rifle, that has a very quick twist rate. I developed shot loading's for it that print as well as .410 but has a muzzle velocity of about 2500 fps. 9 grouse with 7 rounds. 2 pair of doubles on the ground by kneeling down and lining them up - the rest shot on the wing. It's my INCH cart rifle, weighs 5 1/4 pounds load with the sling. Most people will only shoot it once with full loads.

I made a breach seater for it and took it to an black powder iron chicken shoot. I shot it in the unlimited class, 540 gr cast bullet on top of a case full of Dupont 4Fg. It punch holes in their steal plate, so I finished the match with a borrowed 50-70 trapdoor.

I think one could manufacture fins and sabots for say a tungsten welding electrode that could work in a black powder smooth bore.

They did flechette's out of 12 gauge shotguns, and rockets plus various rifled cannons.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Hiker

I admit its an interesting idea but since the OP asked about a smooth bore flintlock for a last ditch end of the world Omega man gun I don't think finned sabot rounds are in the picture. Besides smooth bored BP musket bores are all over the map on dimensions. Thats why there are so many RB and mold sizes so you can find what works best in YOUR gun.

Sam Fadala did test with one of the T/C Renegade 56 caliber smooth bore guns and actually got decent groups at 100 yards with his. Like in the 3" range IIRC. So its possible to get decent groups from a smooth bore but not without a lot of testing and experimenting. And the OP wants to make his own powder so there is another variable thrown in the mix.

But I think there are much better end of the world options if the person starts planning now.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Hiker

Quote:
9 grouse with 7 rounds. 2 pair of doubles on the ground by kneeling down and lining them up - the rest shot on the wing.
I have done sort of the same thing blasting doves off a highline and killing 3-4 with one shot. It works for pigeons under a bridge too. My bud was on his deer stand and saw a covey of Quail on some bare ground. He fired his 270 in the middle of the flock and killed 5 from bullet and gravel fragments.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
reluctant sinner

I was 14 and bought a beat up 303 SMLE for $5. I cast the bullets, made the black powder, and re-loaded the primers. High school chemistry was my favorite class. It shot well and hard enough to take big game.

I agree, plan ahead. However, I think it pays to know how to make and do things. They can't take everything away. Knowledge and skills are the lightest thing to pack on you back.

Yes have caught lots of small game with secondary missiles from shooting low and bouncing 'stuff' into them.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,792 Posts

I picked up a couple BP rifles in case California went nuts on guns. I like my .36. It is frugal with both lead and powder. 25 yards is realistic, 50 is pushing it. It is rather accurate. I picked up some 38 cal. shot capsules for a 357 shot round. total disaster in the rifle. Group too large with poor coverage. I did find a 160 gr round nose, hollow base mould which cast 358 projectiles. They shoot very well, I would be willing to take deer out to 50 yards with them. I think the reality of the smooth bore for mass military activity has been well cover. The versatility of shot in the smooth bore is a good concept. In a time of chaos one should one should cover as many as many bases as one can.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Hiker

I have owned a couple of 36 caliber BP rifles, A TC Seneca and a Traditions full stock Pennsylvania rifle and liked to shoot them with hollow base WC bullets used for 38 Special target loads. They shot really good groups and I would have used them for deer out to 50 yards no problem. They were my favorite bullets to shoot from a 36 cal BP rifle.

Quote:
I picked up a couple BP rifles in case California went nuts on guns.
Good idea. Buyt what about the california ban on lead bullets? How do you all get around that? Whats funny is that lead is one of the most common elements in the earth.