Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Staying put during Irma - south florida Revmgt General Discussion 131 09-23-2017 12:06 AM
FBI arrests Tucson man over threats to U.S. Rep. Martha McSally clocker General Discussion 6 05-17-2017 06:40 AM
Progress on National Concealed Carry Reciprocity and Florida pro-gun legislation? JBryan314 Political News and Discussion 30 05-08-2017 08:18 PM
Catching Live Florida Panther Cubs Lands Man In Jail AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-20-2017 07:30 PM
Free Wounded Veteran Hunting, Fishing On Tap In Florida AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-03-2017 06:30 PM

Old 08-17-2018, 04:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,434 Times in 1,697 Posts

Advertise Here

Yep,lived in south dade at the time.I think it was the Rodney King incident that sparked it..was it that long ago?
There was only 1 reason you would see a white face in liberty city at the time...easy pickings for the cops..not sure about now.Just like every drunk driver only had"a couple'beers..everyone stopped said"I took a wrong turn"
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,486 Times in 625 Posts

Facts (and possibly threats) of Florida:

- 25% of all Florida drivers are uninsured
- 5% of the population are illegals
- 1:5000 died due to drug overdose in FL in 2016 (that's for the entire population not just users)
- Miami's Biscayne aquifer will be overrun by salt water by 2025
- Florida has roughly 16,000,000 residents (age 21+) and has issued 14,500,000 concealed carry permits
- Florida ranked 1st in new HIV cases in 2015
- Palm Beach County has been dubbed the drug and alcohol Rehab Capital of America
- Florida has the second highest negative equity mortgages behind California.
- West Nile, Dengue Fever, and Malaria cases still show up in Florida yearly due to mosquitos and the vastness of the Everglades.
- Florida Chamber of Commerce expects the population to grow by 28% (6 Million) by 2030.
- Population density is currently 350 per sq/mi.
- 25% of Florida population is concentrated in 3 counties - Dade, Broward & Palm Beach
- Over 500 Tropical Storm/Hurricanes have hit Florida - there have only been 18 years in the past 170 that a storm did not affect Florida. Florida is the #1 affected state.
- 43,800 DUI tickets were written in 2017 in Florida.

Just to name a few...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 PM

Older thread but here's some from my perspective.

1. Prosecutors. A criminal defense attorney on speed dial is as much prepping down here as anything. Even if you're an honest person, Florida is VERY aggressive on prosecuting folks down here but you have great tools to protect yourself if you get the right attorney. It's hard to prep without all your rights.

2. Infection. No winters to kill micro-organisms down here. I got an infection on my foot from coming into contact with a potted plant.

3. Bites from everything. Everything bites and venomous or not you can get infections from it all (See #2).

4. Drivers. I drive a big SUV primarily to increase my chances that the idiot on the road will go under me.

5. Sun. Cancer and dehydration. You'd also be surprised how bad road glare can get after a storm. I keep ANSI rated impact polarized sunglasses in the car for driving after a rain.

6. Crazy people. I tell folks WTF means "Welcome to Florida". You have everything here from cultists to addicts to scientologists. You need to develop a keen sense of situational awareness in case there's a crazy around.

7. Hurricanes are obvious but it's the smaller wind events that catch you off guard. We just had a couple hurricanes near Tampa a few weeks ago that popped up out of nowhere. Knocked out power for some folks. Half a day of no power in Florida for unprepared people means throw out all your refrigerated food.

8. Flood. Before buying a place, check its elevation on Google Earth. You want to be well above sea level.

9. Finally - and this one irritates me - limited escape routes. If you do need to get out Florida's biggest problem is there is usually only one or two roads available to take to get from one place to another. This creates massive evacuation bottlenecks. You can help this by planning alternate routes but even then your options are limited.