Intriguing Knife Find - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do you prefer the handgun you do? PalmettoTree Pistol and Revolver Forum 184 10-06-2019 01:12 PM
My Survival Knife "collection" Gaston444 Knives, Swords & Axes 44 09-14-2018 11:31 AM
Article - How To Pick a Skinning Knife kev Knives, Swords & Axes 45 02-22-2018 01:15 PM
Not one knife to survive, I count at least five. Hick Industries Knives, Swords & Axes 61 01-21-2018 02:03 PM
A good knife for every price under $100 - List panoz77 Knives, Swords & Axes 19 07-31-2017 07:59 PM

Old 07-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

Thanked 1,331 Times in 544 Posts
Default Intriguing Knife Find

Advertise Here

Scored this beauty at an Estate Sale yesterday. After some price bickering I managed to pick it up for $25. I know absolutely nothing about it other than it appears to be custom made. It has no makers mark anywhere on it. It is a full tank with perfect handle fit and finish. The grind seems to be professionally done and it is razor sharp. What intrigues me most is the blade coloring. Looks like either heat or oil type coloring with browns to blues to purples as it moves through light.
Just wondering if anyone has seen any like this. What do you guys think?

Warning, Pic heavy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,344 Times in 11,462 Posts

heat blush finish,probably by the look of it, carbon steel, but you would have to spark test it to figure that out. nice looking score in any case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
heat blush finish,probably by the look of it, carbon steel, but you would have to spark test it to figure that out. nice looking score in any case.
Thanks GX, I was hoping you would chime in on this. Really hard to capture the color change as you move it through the light. I've seen these before but this is the first one I've ever owned. What is the procedure to spark test without damaging the blade?

The Following User Says Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,344 Times in 11,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus7 View Post
Thanks GX, I was hoping you would chime in on this. Really hard to capture the color change as you move it through the light. I've seen these before but this is the first one I've ever owned. What is the procedure to spark test without damaging the blade?

there is none.you got to grind a spot to check the size of the spark, color and size denotes carbon content..... you could, if you really had to know the material, find a NDT lab and have it annualized, but that would be expensive. Be better to just enjoy it for what it is, a mystery well made custom blade.you say you got it in a estate sale, doesn't have mars on it from use, and the blush isn't worn off, next gun and knife show you have close to that area, carry it there, some of the small knife maker's that go to the local shows can probably ID the work........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 07:16 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

The estate sale was at a very nice home in a ritzy neighborhood. I'm thinking the owner was probably gifted it and never used it. I'm thinking I'll probably never use it as I have plenty of others that I use. Just put it in my collection.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:10 PM
✝️🗽🏹🗡️🔥🥓💰🛠️💉📻

Thanked 28,829 Times in 8,373 Posts

What a beautiful knife, Damascus. When you get the chance, would you post a pic of the spine, as well as one with it next to a ruler?

Now not to be critical, but IMO, an unused knife is a wasted knife. It appears to be decent enough to field dress multiple sizes of harvests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sockpuppet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

As requested. The spline measures just a hair over 1/8".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 08:19 PM
Shotgunner

Thanked 1,010 Times in 454 Posts

Reminds me of a few galloways I've had and seen over the years. I'm thinking it's probably a custom made knife. Someone probably commissioned it and thought it was too beautiful to use. Look like it's one stout of a knife!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debx36 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,077 Times in 4,381 Posts

You did good on that deal. Nice looking knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,991 Times in 7,731 Posts

I picked up a similar apparently hand made knife a couple summers ago at a garage sale, maybe a few dollars, hand made blade I picked up for maybe a few dollars was very well crafted. Has a D and an arrow point stamped in the blade. Dunno who made it. Great beautiful little knife though, well balanced, full tang, razor sharp. Very well made from the feel. Small blemish in the blade spine. The sheath is leather and poorly made, low end, not much skill. Tells me it was a hand made deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03442.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	276116   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03443.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	276118  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,743 Times in 773 Posts

Damascus7
Do yourself a favor an try out how it cuts. A lot of tool makers in shops all around tinker with making knives on their downtime in the shop. That means they set aside some expensive/great steel known as drops (unused waist) for their knives often. Your new custom knife may have superior steel that the knives you are currently using. Since you gota deal on it anyway so if it is not up to par just park it in the collection. If you have never owned a one off custom or custom knife they are often superior but you want know if you do not try it out.

Let us know if you try it out an how it performs.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Old Reformed Rogue

This knife appears to have never been used, maybe for a reason, I don't know. I think I will just take for what it appears. A custom made knife, possibly commissioned by someone. As for using it I have many, many other fixed blades that I could use. Think I'm just gonna park it in my collection and describe it as Goblin stated, " a mystery custom made knife.". I'm sure I'll pull it out from time to time to admire and show off. I do think I'll take it to a few gun & knife shows just to see if anyone recognizes it. Good suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Damascus7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,991 Times in 7,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus7 View Post
This knife appears to have never been used, maybe for a reason, I don't know. I think I will just take for what it appears. A custom made knife, possibly commissioned by someone. As for using it I have many, many other fixed blades that I could use. Think I'm just gonna park it in my collection and describe it as Goblin stated, " a mystery custom made knife.". I'm sure I'll pull it out from time to time to admire and show off. I do think I'll take it to a few gun & knife shows just to see if anyone recognizes it. Good suggestion.

That's a good plan. Probably do the same for mine, but it's tempting to carry it it's so neat and well made.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post: