Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Make A Casting Video For Alone Vs. YouTube Video & How To Make A Slingshot (87 Makery and Mischief Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 03-04-2018 02:28 PM
BREAKING: Sero Engineering, maker of GM6 Lynx, Closed AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-01-2018 08:30 PM
Zebco 202 Spincasting Rod and Reel Combo with Tackle Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-07-2017 03:04 PM
Zebco 404 Spincasting Rod and Reel Combo with Tackle Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-07-2017 03:00 PM
Zebco Hot 33 Flatboard Spincast Rod and Reel Combo with Tackle Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-07-2017 02:59 PM

Old 03-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Prepared

Default Best Closed Faced Casting Reel

Advertise Here

I'm wanting to upgrade from my Zebco 33 to a high quality and well working reel (closed faced casting reel). I'd like to get some feedback and opinions on what works for you. For now, I'll say money is no object. I just don't have a lot of fishing experience, but I am not satisfied completely with my Zebco.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,939 Times in 2,513 Posts

You meam like a baitcaster? I really liked my abu garcia when i actually used spin and baitcasting rods. Now its all fly fishing
Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
You meam like a baitcaster? I really liked my abu garcia when i actually used spin and baitcasting rods. Now its all fly fishing
A closed faced spin cast reel. Think Zebco 33, with the closed face. A bait cast reel is an open spindle. A spinning reel is open faced with the ring that you have to flick over for casting.

I may have exaggerated by saying I don't have much fishing experience. I fished a heck of a lot from age 5 to about 18. My parents operated a freshwater marina and we lived onsite. Then the military consumed my life. My fishing became more of a rare treat, and has been less than that as I get older, but I am trying to re-commit to more time doing the things I once enjoyed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,068 Times in 726 Posts

You'll probably be happier with a spinning reel. You can even use the same rods, so it's a little cheaper to try. The Pflueger President is an excellent choice, durable, smooth, and inexpensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Prepper View Post
A closed faced spin cast reel. Think Zebco 33, with the closed face. A bait cast reel is an open spindle. A spinning reel is open faced with the ring that you have to flick over for casting.

I may have exaggerated by saying I don't have much fishing experience. I fished a heck of a lot from age 5 to about 18. My parents operated a freshwater marina and we lived onsite. Then the military consumed my life. My fishing became more of a rare treat, and has been less than that as I get older, but I am trying to re-commit to more time doing the things I once enjoyed.
Lol sorry havent used a reel like that since i was very small.

I second sierra. Look at spinner reels. I think you will really enjoy them and they operate similarly.
The Following User Says Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 04:25 AM
I say I say

Thanked 1,344 Times in 508 Posts

I spent summers as a kid with a zebco 33 for bass and like, for catfish an 808.
Why do you want a closed face reel?
Go with a good shimano stradic spinning reel and a decent rod and don't look back...
The Following User Says Thank You to munik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,769 Times in 9,745 Posts

Quote:

I also strarted fishing zebcos for fishing in the Upper Midwest and Canada.
They worked for small to medium sized fish, and when they wore out, they were cheap to replace.

When I started traveling to SW Missouri for work, I got inspired to buy more modern gear.
I bought a medium Spin Rod and a Mitchell 306 Reel. Fished for a few yrs, then added a fly rod.

But be careful, buying fishing gear is a lot like buying guns.
Today I have a dozen rods and a nice boat.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by munik View Post
I spent summers as a kid with a zebco 33 for bass and like, for catfish an 808.
Why do you want a closed face reel?
Go with a good shimano stradic spinning reel and a decent rod and don't look back...
I want to use it on an emmrod pack rod. Being able to toss it under a seat or into a backpack is key. It's part of my hiking/camping/survival gear. I need something that won't have the spindle and line exposed. Dirt, sand, mud, lint, etc. can easily get into those other reels, or items in your pack can snag or tangle the line. Below is a link to the emmrod site. It will give you an idea of what I'm working with. They have rods and handles for all other types of reels too, but I'd like to have a closed faced reel to protect things when I'm packing it. I know there are various rod and reel kits that break down smaller, lighter, and there are reel bags for toting the reel separately, but I am going a different direction. These emmrods are virtually indestructable and with one quick connection, you are fishing. I have no affiliation with emmrod.

http://www.emmrod.com/
Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,593 Times in 599 Posts

https://www.outsidepursuits.com/best-spincast-reel/

Opinions vary.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 PM
Target Shooter

I too used spin casters for years, but they are not made well, and are marketed to entry level fishermen. I have since moved on to spinning reels, and have not looked back. I have more control and distance, and with the right line (nanofil) one can set the lure into a trashcan at good distances with practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to IlikeSa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 07:07 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default /////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeSa View Post
I too used spin casters for years, but they are not made well, and are marketed to entry level fishermen. I have since moved on to spinning reels, and have not looked back. I have more control and distance, and with the right line (nanofil) one can set the lure into a trashcan at good distances with practice.
He has it right ^^
The Following User Says Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I want to use it on an emmrod pack rod. Being able to toss it under a seat or into a backpack is key. It's part of my hiking/camping/survival gear. I need something that won't have the spindle and line exposed. Dirt, sand, mud, lint, etc. can easily get into those other reels, or items in your pack can snag or tangle the line. Below is a link to the emmrod site. It will give you an idea of what I'm working with. They have rods and handles for all other types of reels too, but I'd like to have a closed faced reel to protect things when I'm packing it. I know there are various rod and reel kits that break down smaller, lighter, and there are reel bags for toting the reel separately, but I am going a different direction. These emmrods are virtually indestructable and with one quick connection, you are fishing. I have no affiliation with emmrod.

http://www.emmrod.com/
I travel the world with 2 rods. a fly rod and tenkara in same tube, and i toss the real into my pack never an issue.

before i converted to fly fishing I was an avid fisher and I still have some travel rods even tho the majority of my equipment i got rid of as fly fishing is space efficient.

I would not buy that particular rod for your car or for hiking, if I were to recommend rods for travel it would be

orvis Clearwater frequent flyer

while its the most $$ of my recommendations its a great fly rod and has a 20year unconditional warrantee. you could break it over your knee and they would replace it. comes in 5 6 and 8 weight rods so good for large ish fish.

to rods more inline with what you want.
Diawa mini spin comes with the kind of reel you like or spin cast.

also comes in a convienient hard case that has attachment points to strap onto a pack and fits under the seat easily and without fuss.

the reel is good. not the best but good, I replaced mine with a abu Garcia cardinal because i like a good ultralight reel.

next up I would recommend the Plusinno Carbon Travel Rod

the last two are very budget friendly in the 40 ish ballpark.
and pack very small. the orvis is my favorite. but I only own two rods. a Orvis TLS power matrix. (recon is modern equivalent model)
and a tenkara usa rod. both in same tube. but I do like the travel rod and have used it when with friends the tube it comes with is a bit big, but you can easily put into a smaller case
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,520 Times in 1,416 Posts

I don't really know, as I haven't fished for 10 years. Having said that, I'm pretty sure Shimano makes high quality fishing stuff, and I'll bet there's a closed face bait caster in there somewhere.

I've used spinning reels and other types of reels all my life. I enjoyed them all.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Old 04-28-2018, 04:18 AM

I use the same reels that the OP is speaking about. I was in the same boat, fished a lot as a younger boy but fell out of it as an adult. I don't have much spare time to practice casting with a baitcaster and work out all the backlashes. I started using the Zebco 33 thinking it was the same quality as I used years ago and it's just not the case. What I found out is that Zebco makes a higher quality 33 called a Delta linked here https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/zebc...ductextensions I absolutely love it.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:01 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,772 Times in 954 Posts

I'm a big time fan of Abu Garcia Baitcasters. 15 years living and fishing in Alaska will do that to you. I've seen just about any brand of real literally start smoking when a nice 50+ King grabs your lure.. Then again, I've also seen Ugly Stick rods snap into 3 pieces on one hit..

I used both left and right hand 5000 series baitcaster and Zebco Rhino Rods. I was sold on the Rhino rod when I caught my first king at 35lb with a 6' bass fishing rod.. That rod was bent at a full 90 degree just above the grip and I was sure it was going to explode any minute.

Buy the best you can afford. You never know when a trophy will hit your line and get away because you're using last years line, a 7 year old rod, and/or a hand-me-down reel that was made in the 80's.

If you ever go for the Salmon in Alaska, carry two backup reels in your backpack with one of them mounted on an identical rod that you're carrying in your hand.

People spend a LOT of money to fish for the Kings there, get all the way out to a remote stream or someone's "secret" spot, only to have their trip end when their rod snaps or the reel has a melt down.

Treat your reels like you would treat your guns. Clean, clean, clean, and lube, lube, lube..

If I'm going light tackle, I have 4 Eagle Claw pack rods that come in aluminum tubes. They're each 4 sections and the bottom section can be set up with the reel seat on the bottom (fly rod style) or flip it over and it's perfect for a bait caster.

Why a baitcaster? The line rolls right off the reel with out all the spinning, the accuracy is VERY good, and.. well, that's what the Bass Pro's all use.

With my Eagle Claw Rods, I can carry one baitcaster reel and one fly casting reel and go either way. I think they're 7'6" long.
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,214 Times in 9,756 Posts

I think the Zebco 33 is the best of the coffee grinders.......

A good baitcaster is in an entirely different realm from spincast when it comes to larger fish, it doesn't twist the line like the others
Old 05-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,576 Times in 6,363 Posts

My toss and go is one of the zebco spin cast kids combos. Toy story, Barbie., they all catch fish.
Tried the Shakespeare's spin at combo and it twisted the line terribly.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post: