Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BARSKA 4x20 Electro Sight Scope - $48.59 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 03-15-2015 10:58 AM
BARSKA 4x20 Electro Sight Scope - $53.99 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 02-22-2015 01:20 PM
TMS AR Tactical 3x Magnifier Scope for Red Dot Reflex Sight - $59.90 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 02-03-2015 10:04 AM
TMS AR Tactical 3x Magnifier Scope for Red Dot Reflex Sight - $59.90 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 01-06-2015 09:05 AM
VERY100 Tactical Red Laser Dot Sight Scope - $11.98 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 10-06-2014 10:02 AM
Steel sight born and raised... should i invest in a scope? jim.schot Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 20 01-21-2014 07:45 PM
Ruger 10/22 Takedown sight and scope questions... zuren Rifle Forum 5 03-24-2013 06:25 PM
rear a2 sight ruger 10/22 with scope bobbydeadup Rifle Forum 3 10-17-2012 12:04 AM
Scope/Sight for Ruger .44 mag. carbine txpossum Rifle Forum 15 12-11-2011 01:24 PM
What is the best way to sight in a red dot scope? spenceNC Firearms General Discussion 4 12-25-2007 10:05 PM

Old 10-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

This is the way I sight in my long guns. Saves big bucks at the range. You really need a shooting vice, my .02. You can do three shot groups if you want but I save that for fine tuning.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...208093A82FB8D9

Bore sight to 50 yard and make sure you are on paper, then use the above at 100 yard. I have shocked a lot of people at the range using this. It does work!

As I stated before, invest in a good shooting vice and use it.

Dave
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritJoe View Post
Brought this up to an employee at my LGS and he said that you're supposed to move the reticle to where the impacts are. I've been shooting and using scope for quite a while and have never heard this logic before. It's always been adjust the turrets in the direction you want the bullet impact to go.

Has anyone every heard of logic like this before? Or are my turret directions just backwards?
Either way works. Both ways you are simply getting scope to agree with where rifle is actually impacting when held on a given line.

Adjusting scope to match previous impact works fine IF the impact shows on scope and you can lock down the gun between the shot and the adjustment fairly well.

A quick way to get close with very first shot works with guns where you can see through the bore. Lock it down, look through bore at a defined spot, then adjust scope to that spot, looking back and forth between bore and scope until they match.

You can do that with AR by just taking upper off, removing BCG and laying upper on something stable.

It's just "boresighting" with your eye instead of a laser.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Troll Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Either way works. Both ways you are simply getting scope to agree with where rifle is actually impacting when held on a given line.

Adjusting scope to match previous impact works fine IF the impact shows on scope and you can lock down the gun between the shot and the adjustment fairly well.

A quick way to get close with very first shot works with guns where you can see through the bore. Lock it down, look through bore at a defined spot, then adjust scope to that spot, looking back and forth between bore and scope until they match.

You can do that with AR by just taking upper off, removing BCG and laying upper on something stable.

It's just "boresighting" with your eye instead of a laser.

- OS
That's exactly what I did when I "boresighted" the AR after losing too much light outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to CritJoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Hello guys, I'm new here. I decided to join because I want to learn more about guns in general. I'm looking for advice on which among the scopes I should buy in this review I read. I don't want to make the wrong decision by deciding by myself. Thanks in advance guys.
Scope Review
Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,182 Times in 2,402 Posts

I have found that most folks don't know

how to properly mount a scope, much

less sight it in.

Jungle Work
Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
I have found that most folks don't know

how to properly mount a scope, much

less sight it in.

Jungle Work
When you mention lapping scope rings after mounting the rings but before mounting the scope and get this...

Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 AM

That's probably one of the best looking a new scope I've seen. Good video. Thx
Old 03-01-2018, 10:06 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 5,970 Times in 2,258 Posts

I am sure you won't believe how I sighted in my Mini-14 in my kitchen, but it worked. Can't look down the bore, so I tried this.
I put the rifle in a vice. I ran a piece of surveyor's line through a .223 shell and out the primer hole and knotted the end. I ran the other end out the barrel to the far wall about 12 feet away. Looking at the barrel, I visually centered the line in the bore as I pulled it tight. I marked where that was on the wall. I measured the vertical distance from the bore to the center of the scope, and marked that on the wall above the other mark. I then sighted the scope on the upper mark. On the range I was only off by about 1" at 50 yards. It is amazing how accurately you can visually find the center of the bore that way.