Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone from Jefferson County area? OhioMan Indiana 0 04-01-2017 07:27 AM
CHESTER COUNTY and nearby areas SeekAndDestroy Pennsylvania 0 03-23-2017 12:03 AM
Giant Mississippi Bass Is Only County Record AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-03-2017 09:00 PM
Conservative Blogger Guilty 21 Counts For Self-Defense gets 50 years. SG1 General Discussion 110 02-25-2017 12:36 PM
oklahoma county sheriff in trouble mreddie General Discussion 10 12-16-2016 05:40 PM

Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Wer sind da Gehirnpolizei

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,275 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Lurker View Post
I wonder if this varies by state/area? Speaking from personal experience, it can be expensive to NOT allow them to inspect the interior of your house here.

A little background, we have owned our current house for over ten years. It's a modest-sized, one-story, new construction (over ten years ago that is). We've never done any upgrading/work, etc. beyond basic painting and maintenance. A few years back we arrived home to a message left on our machine from an inspector telling us he would be there the next day (Friday) to inspect the interior of our house. We returned the call and left a message to inform him we couldn't be there the next day. Since he didn't leave the message until sometime Thursday night for an inspection on Friday we didn't really think too much about it as we assumed they would reschedule (since he gave us less than a 24-hour notice we didn't think it was reasonable to expect us to be able to be there). We were honestly just so busy at the time that we promptly forgot all about the call until we received our new assessment in the mail...since it was obvious we didn't do any exterior changes, he instead put us down for interior upgrades (extra bedrooms, etc. even though there is no place in this house where such things could even fit). We were told the only way to avoid the drastically increased property tax bill, was to allow a full interior and exterior inspection (the inspector even did a full inspection of every closet and shower in case we were "hiding" extra rooms behind a door/shower curtain.)

Fortunately, it sounds like that isn't the case everywhere
That sounds like a scam. There have been some municipalities where folks have had unscrupulous inspectors do this routinely.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Crazy

Thanked 9,940 Times in 3,262 Posts

In NC to be a bedroom has to have a door and closable closet. Take the doors off you extra bedrooms and closets. Your 4 bedroom can become a two bedroom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 43,824 Times in 25,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I guess I must be pretty fortunate. My Tax Assessor is my son's mother in law and for some reason she thinks the world of him. But the in California we have what is called Proposition 13. Back in 1974 we voted a State Constitutional Ammendment where the assessed value of a property is based on the value in 1975 plus minimal adjustments. A reassessment can be made if the property is sold or if improvements are made. Regarding improvements, the reassessment only relates to the actual improvement, and not the rest of the structure. Example, my mom is still living in the house I grew up in. She is still paying property taxes based on the 1975 value of the house. The house is in her trust, when she dies I get it at the same tax rate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:

Old 05-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Here you can just show the blue prints , but they will measure the outside of the building., make a wild ass guess at the worth add 25% and send you a land rental, sorry I ment a land tax bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtmerkley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:22 PM

I used to go to church with a guy who had ranch out in the county. He spoke up in a quorum court meeting about them wanting to add a new property tax. His property taxes went up 300%.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wb5ggn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5ggn View Post
I used to go to church with a guy who had ranch out in the county. He spoke up in a quorum court meeting about them wanting to add a new property tax. His property taxes went up 300%.
OUCH That's what ought to happen to the rich fat cat democrat donors who say taxes need to be higher.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Almost free

We're going to court soon with pictures. They assessed our house (it has not changed since we purchased it last year), without calling. My wife's home, they didn't even come over. They just estimated. So our taxes went up.
The Following User Says Thank You to cokey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Wow. That doesn't sound too good. They never came in our house, but they decided to jump the chain link fence to measure a shop building once. Didn't even ask, and I was home too! I sent our 120lb Rottweiler out in the yard to greet the lady and followed with a pistol in hand warning the lady trespassing on my property is a good way to lose your life. Dog is harmless and more likely to lick people to death than anything else.

I sure hope you have some legal protection, no matter where I lived, I would never let them in the house!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 01:47 AM

Cover everything inside with large drop sheets, move a few trestle ladders in, leave a few cans of paint with rollers and trays around. Tell them your painting and not moving anything for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM

Talk to assessor today on the phone. Asked if I could deal with this over the phone. She asked some questions on interior of home. Gave her limited details. Enough to satisfy her. She said she will still need to walk the property. But no further information will be needed. I can live with this. Thanks for the help guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acs75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 28,947 Times in 9,532 Posts

Taxes are based off of the area. If you live in a house worth 150K and you have four 250K homes built within a mile of you, I can guarantee your taxes will go up. Just keep in mind, that when they send you the tax increase, you can refute it. I've had to dispute value a couple times over the years and it really wasn't that big a deal. Just don't be a horses ass and expect them to work with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,223 Times in 8,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
I guess I must be pretty fortunate. My Tax Assessor is my son's mother in law and for some reason she thinks the world of him. But the in California we have what is called Proposition 13. Back in 1974 we voted a State Constitutional Ammendment where the assessed value of a property is based on the value in 1975 plus minimal adjustments. A reassessment can be made if the property is sold or if improvements are made. Regarding improvements, the reassessment only relates to the actual improvement, and not the rest of the structure. Example, my mom is still living in the house I grew up in. She is still paying property taxes based on the 1975 value of the house. The house is in her trust, when she dies I get it at the same tax rate.
I am hoping prop-13 works for us as well. When our house was damaged by fire a year and a half ago, the insurance company paid to have it rebuild but we opted to upgrade in the process. Added a second bath and attached the garage to the house. The town gave us permits for "rebuilding" as long as we kept one wall in place which we did. So even though the house is essentially new, we didn't have to go through what we would have if it was permited as new.

I know our assessment will go up (probably at least double) but with prop-13 our taxes should only be able to go up 2% per year which they have been doing anyway. We will know more when we get the next tax bill, and hopefully we won't have to sell the place.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,488 Posts

In Idaho they don't enter the home, they do their assessment from the curb. They allow one week in May for appeals before the assessment is final. They are assessing the property values for taxation purpose. Has nothing to do with the interior of the home or it's contents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 119,963 Times in 23,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratbastard View Post
I don't know the law there in Minnesota, but they sure can here in Oregon. I had THREE county inspectors show up at my place in response to a neighbor "complaint" as per land use statutes. Building inspector, electric inspector, plumbing inspector. Refusing access sometimes means they go back downtown, see a judge, and return with the sheriff. Other times (like with me) they simply impose a $500 a day fine for being out of compliance. They wanted me to rip down an entire building... a nice studio cottage which my son lived in at the time. They could find no records other than a partial one which showed it to be a garden shack.
Of course, the county is in charge of those records... and they are an abysmal MESS.
I did my own records search and found another scrap, an approved plan for the cottage bathroom plumbing. They could no longer claim it was built without permits. But they were fully prepared to make me tear it all down.
That's not an analogous situation as the application for a building permit is what extends jurisdiction to the building inspector in most states. If you read your statutes carefully, you will likely find references to the permitting process, and consequences of pulling a permit, but it is most likely that there is no law requiring you to have one.

Not so with tax assessors, whose jurisdiction is established by statute, not your free will act and deed.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 119,963 Times in 23,790 Posts

Read the statute. If it is worded as it appears to be on the website, there is a bit of a curiosity:

Quote:
273.08 ASSESSOR'S DUTIES.
The assessor shall actually view, and determine the market value of each tract or lot of real property listed for taxation, including the value of all improvements and structures thereon, at maximum intervals of five years and shall enter the value opposite each description.
look at the punctuation: the first comma opens what one might imagine is a dependent clause, yet the clause is not closed with another comma. This makes it an independent clause co-equal to the first. As such, the assessor has two functions under this law:

1) to "actually view." No object noun is listed, so his responsibility is to "view," whatever that means.

2) to "determine the value of each tract or lot of real property" in the manner described by the ensuing dependent clause, every five years or less.

So as long as he "actually views" whatever unspecified thing he is meant to view, and then, in a separate action evaluates your property, he is in compliance with the law.

Furthermore, I don't know whether there are related statutes, but even if the court construed, arguendo, that the missing comma is a scriviners error, and that the second clause depends on the first, I see nothing obligating you to do anything. Nor do I see an enforcement mechanism, like a fine or jail time.

Additionally, nothing mandates that he view the inside of your home, or even enter into the private curtilage. The law makes no such instruction.

In fact, the law says that he "shall," which, in legal lexicography, means "may." It is, therefore, not incumbent upon him to enter your property at all, and he would not run afoul of the law should he decline to do so. Quite frankly, and he would get fired for doing this, he could, theoretically, start neglecting to valuate properties altogether. Nothing in the law mandates him to actually do what the law instructs.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,369 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
In NC to be a bedroom has to have a door and closable closet. Take the doors off you extra bedrooms and closets. Your 4 bedroom can become a two bedroom.
I think you forgot about the window....to be a bedroom, it has to have a means of escape or window. That's why most basement "bedrooms" are not legally bedrooms, and why a lot of people spend money retro-fitting the tiny windows, into an egress-sized window and landscape so it can be escaped from.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,369 Times in 533 Posts

When we lived in Minnesota, they had to physically come into the house, something like every 10 years.
If you could not, or would not, let them in, then your taxes would be estimated on the very high side, from what they could see outside the building.
Then if you disagreed, they would only adjust the taxes, if you let them inside the building. Pictures were not sufficient.

FWIW, our taxes on a totally unimproved basic 1970's 3BR/2BA split, went from 800 to over 3000 in less than 5 years, when other more expensive homes were built nearby. We complained, saying that we had old carpeting, old windows, old everything!!! and the Assessor simply said, "Well, we expect that you should be maintaining your property, so we will tax you as if you had made the improvements even if you haven't. It's your responsibility to keep your home maintained." The lady said that! Didn't write it down, and I didn't audio record her, but it really burnt me up inside. So glad we left Minn.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,236 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblount View Post
Interesting to read this because a property tax assessor showed up yesterday. I wasn't here and my lady friend told him that she was just visiting and had no knowledge that would help him. He looked at the old barns behind the house and said that nothing looks new and left.

BUT in my county... as with most other states and counties there is an exemption from property tax Senior Citizens and Disabled People. I'm 65 and applied last year but my dumb ass brother went to the tax office and paid after I had applied but had not heard form them. Call your county assessor or treasurer's office to apply for or get more*info if you think you qualify.

If you can get an exemption you can tell the tax assessor it doesn't matter since you are exempt.
Being exempt from paying doesn't preclude the Assessor's Office from needing an updated assessment. They are tasked with keeping track of the value of all property in their county/district/whatever and such isn't changed because a property owner gets an exemption.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,236 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
Read the statute. If it is worded as it appears to be on the website, there is a bit of a curiosity:

look at the punctuation: the first comma opens what one might imagine is a dependent clause, yet the clause is not closed with another comma. This makes it an independent clause co-equal to the first. As such, the assessor has two functions under this law:

1) to "actually view." No object noun is listed, so his responsibility is to "view," whatever that means.

2) to "determine the value of each tract or lot of real property" in the manner described by the ensuing dependent clause, every five years or less.

So as long as he "actually views" whatever unspecified thing he is meant to view, and then, in a separate action evaluates your property, he is in compliance with the law.

Furthermore, I don't know whether there are related statutes, but even if the court construed, arguendo, that the missing comma is a scriviners error, and that the second clause depends on the first, I see nothing obligating you to do anything. Nor do I see an enforcement mechanism, like a fine or jail time.

Additionally, nothing mandates that he view the inside of your home, or even enter into the private curtilage. The law makes no such instruction.

In fact, the law says that he "shall," which, in legal lexicography, means "may." It is, therefore, not incumbent upon him to enter your property at all, and he would not run afoul of the law should he decline to do so. Quite frankly, and he would get fired for doing this, he could, theoretically, start neglecting to valuate properties altogether. Nothing in the law mandates him to actually do what the law instructs.
"Shall" does NOT equal "may" under the law. Shall is an imperative while may isn't. Hence the difference between shall issue and may issue laws concerning CCWs.