Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living in the wild, secluded. ZDA Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 58 12-15-2015 01:31 PM
One last hike before she's gone azb Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 06-04-2015 10:21 PM
Hike with my son... anmut Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 03-27-2014 09:31 PM
secluded Farm for Sale in Middle TN santose13 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 06-16-2013 03:48 PM
My first Hike :s (need help) TTerbo Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 12-28-2011 08:29 AM
Tax hike 1/1/11? JoeKan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 07-07-2010 03:02 PM
Secluded, fortified hideaway for sale MuzzleBlast General Discussion 0 09-20-2009 07:18 AM
How secluded should your retreat be? heehaw Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 01-18-2009 09:15 AM

Old 11-11-2015, 02:52 AM

Default Need a secluded hike in Washington

Advertise Here

I moved out to Washington State a few months ago from the northeast and need someplace to go. i have gone out to the olympic peninsula a few times but i always found myself surrounded by other people. Back east I had a solid chunk of woods an hour from my house where I could park the car and wander out randomly for a few days. Anybody have any suggestions on solid suggestions on a nice secluded area where some plinking would not be noticed.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,630 Times in 645 Posts
Default Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefire84 View Post
I moved out to Washington State a few months ago from the northeast and need someplace to go. i have gone out to the olympic peninsula a few times but i always found myself surrounded by other people. Back east I had a solid chunk of woods an hour from my house where I could park the car and wander out randomly for a few days. Anybody have any suggestions on solid suggestions on a nice secluded area where some plinking would not be noticed.
There is a lake south of the Ross lake dam. Maybe west from there??? And south of the river.

Ugly hike. Bring a boat.

Only lake in the lower 48 with Native Arctic Grayling that I know of.

The water was so clear you could see them farther than you can cast. My friend stepped onto a rock that was 2' under water - it was that clear.

Only about 3 ppl a year found it. But that was over 30 yrs ago - so might be spoiled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longhorngnu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 06:58 PM
one 'o the crazies!

Define secluded.

You can walk for hours and not see anyone if that is what you want....be careful you don't accidentally walk into Canada...

I came upon a sign one day....said to cross this road, you would be entering into the United States illegally...I didn't even know I was in canada!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanks Mare For This Useful Post:

Old 11-21-2016, 11:20 PM

I'm not sure if the OP has found a place yet, but you have to travel pretty far for really secluded trails. The mountain trails in the eastern counties (Everything East of King County) are really only used by loggers, dirt bikes/ATVs, etc.

There isn't really a good place for plinking in King County because there have been garbage and litter issues in the past. If you can find an area in the eastern counties a fair distance from any marked roads or trails, and there is an earthen backstop without trees in the way, then you should be good to go.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pacific Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Deo iuvante

Thanked 13,588 Times in 3,772 Posts

Most of the trails along the I-90 corridor in the mountains will be busy, though the ones to the south are less busy because they tend to be more difficult. If you go out to Hwy 20 near Ross Lake or Hwy 2 around Index or Hwys 12 & 410 between Mt. Rainier and White Pass, you can find some good hikes that a bit more secluded. Most hikes that are easy to get to from Seattle are going to be crowded. Although on second thought, even around Snoqualmie Pass you can get some more secluded hikes. For example the hike up to Snow Lake is usually packed, but the hike to Talapus and Olallie, which is slightly closer to Seattle can be relatively empty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bazooka Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 AM

I don't know if you are still looking for a hike or not but north of Bellingham are some great trails. Racehorse Creek, Damfino Trail, or up Church Mountain are all beautiful and very seldom get used after Labor Day except for the deer season of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Auctioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 11:48 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Stay away from parks and places that are talked about in outdoor magazines. Washington is full of secluded places you have never heard of. There is no reason to travel very far. Look at some USFS maps and get out there. The off season is the perfect time. Week days are best in the summer.

I went to forestry school in Seattle. We were in the woods at least a couple of days a week year around. We usually saw no one else.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,688 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Stay away from parks and places that are talked about in outdoor magazines. Washington is full of secluded places you have never heard of. There is no reason to travel very far. Look at some USFS maps and get out there. The off season is the perfect time. Week days are best in the summer.

I went to forestry school in Seattle. We were in the woods at least a couple of days a week year around. We usually saw no one else.
times have changed.

the POS NPS and state has seen fit to close down access everywhere except places with large and busy trail heads.

F the NPS, all of them, i have so many swear words i want to drop right now, they have royally screwed up the outdoors life here for anyone whose not happy trudging along on a graded trail behind 30 other idiots.

my hatred for the NPS is basically unmatched at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 02:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Stay our of the parks and the famous trailheads. Go where there are no trails. Go in winter. Go where others fear to tread.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:39 PM
devil's advocate

loki81, those throngs of idiots are the ones who will be on your side when developers want to pave over every inch of forest. If nobody visits the forest, nobody will value it. It sucks that everything is so crowded, but it's better than if nobody had any interest in the outdoors.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,490 Times in 548 Posts

Fern Lake, off Entiat trail. Eastern WA. Cold water, fat trout. STEEP climb.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Deo iuvante

Thanked 13,588 Times in 3,772 Posts

As this was your only post, OP, I hope that you didn't get lost and die on one of our suggested trails.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bazooka Joe For This Useful Post: