Post pics and / or tell how your BOL would function - Page 9 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post pics of your AR's roon Military Weapons Forum 721 11-05-2018 08:37 AM
Post pics of Your AK's Tombstone997 Military Weapons Forum 120 08-25-2018 07:16 AM
How do I post pics? thehunt78 The Tech Zone 1 10-03-2012 03:14 PM
post pics of your compost!!!!!! jodier7 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 07-08-2012 07:37 PM
Post Your EDC pics Ranger375 Firearms General Discussion 0 12-17-2011 02:25 PM
Can't post pics soundchaser Site Information & Suggestion Box 3 11-21-2011 07:45 AM
Cant Post Pics on 'new thread' ??? SF_Nug The Tech Zone 2 10-25-2011 05:34 AM
Post Pics of Your AR HawkGuy Military Weapons Forum 12 11-21-2010 06:05 PM
post pics sniperfx General Discussion 0 10-26-2009 11:21 AM

View Poll Results: How many like the idea of a BOL?
How many think a BOL is a good idea? 248 59.90%
How many think a BOL is a bad idea? 13 3.14%
How many own a BOL and are working on it? 115 27.78%
How many are looking for a BOL? 143 34.54%
Other 30 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Since I am getting ready to leave for my BOL - remote mtn survival retreat......

And here is a funny song, from the 1970's tv show called the Jeffersons, about how I sometimes think of when driving up to my mtn place >

"Well we're movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie."

Which I like to change to "I'm moving on up
To the east side,
To the east side of the Continental Divide.
I'm moving on up,
To a well stocked bunker near the sky........
LOL Thanks great song....U and Weezie have fun Brother!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to theboonedockssaint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,939 Times in 5,600 Posts

One of the pieces of eequipment I want is a Bobcat , By far it i the modst versatal tool there is for moving things and earth.
Thay make a foam block like a mold , you simply put them in place with rebar and pour your concrete in them.
I would build my bunker under ground ,especially if ou are on a bit of a hill side and a southern facing slope (good sun exposure) dig in and make as big a dwelling as is possable using that block and concrete . If you choose a ridgeback the drainage would naturally cercumvent your dwelling . You've got plenty of loggs for the roof and once that is complete, recover the roof with the rocks and dirt trees and brush . If there is nothing shiney poking out, infared would be the only way to see you . the chimney would be run up the hill and through the rocks and gravel capturing most of the smoke. run a chain full distance to pull a chimney brush from time to time , cold soot is sticky , great tool (soot ) for art work .
i'd also recomend a sistern in the lower portion of the dwelling, say 1000 gallons or better , in the event of a dry season . it ain't guna freeze and melting snow from above you will keep it fresh . Septic and leach lines would be run well below you , maybe to a cultivated garden of some sort in good view of the dwelling . alarms around it will keep you apprized of intruders or potential food .
Harbor freight sells motion sensors that have radio recievers good for 100 yards or better. great for camping and around the house . 2-3 different frequencies .
Using rechargable batteries and a solar pannel it would be like a gard dog you feed electricity every 3 months or so .
I used them during a yard sale at three different enterances to the property, so I could go about my work around the property or the house and not have to baby sit the front yard all the time . I took them down after the sale , because the next door neighbor's goats would constantly wander over triggering the alarms, of course even the rabbits do too.
Bless you bro.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Hiker

I did stay up there all of October 2008, living inside my bunker on a bunk bed. I burned at least 2 large pickup trucks of wood that month. I should get at Least 10 cords of firewood all ready and stacked inside my large woodshed to make things easier.

You should look into a rocket stove ,one would be ideal for your situation . You would burn way less fuel .
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyfasteddie For This Useful Post:

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,765 Posts

Our Bol is a 10 acre farm on a small private lake in Michigan. We are raising rabbits and Chickens and soon to get some goats. I have two large food plots which supply us with food for the animals field corn and alfalfa/timothy. Our garden is over 1/2 an acre. The lake is full of fish and we have lots of wild game all around us. W e are planting pear,apple and peach trees. W e are currently at the stage where we are building post event power . Both generator and Solar are going into the system here. Our goal is to #1 be able to pump water. #2 be able to run both freezer and refrigerator off grid. W e can do this and not go broke doing it. Heat is wood fired stove. Cooking is all with wood(after grid goes down). Backup genny is Propane via 500 gallon tank. Solar is still being hashed out but we are very close to buying a small system.

I can tell you all this, its hard work. Cutting wood, shoveling manure , planting, harvesting canning, butchering. How many quarts of veggies do you think 6 people need? 365 minimum is the answer. Then figure potatoes and meat. The good thing about meat is you can butcher as you go and it freezes real well. We are hoping to freeze meat and can veggies. Carrots and Potatoes in the root cellar. We might be living on rabbit, potato and green bean soup. With a few apples or pears for sugar.

Aside from all of this we are still packing canned goods into the pantry and 5 gallon buckets of rice and flour,sugar and salt. Cooking oil, toilet paper, antimicrobial soap. Bath wipes, lamp oil, candle making supplies, sewing supplies, medical supplies etc etc etc. Look for my post (The Ranch) There are pics of our house in that thread. All in all its work and we are still very vulnerable until we have back up power completed. Kingfish
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,534 Times in 4,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfasteddie View Post
I did stay up there all of October 2008, living inside my bunker on a bunk bed. I burned at least 2 large pickup trucks of wood that month. I should get at Least 10 cords of firewood all ready and stacked inside my large woodshed to make things easier.

You should look into a rocket stove ,one would be ideal for your situation . You would burn way less fuel .
Maybe someday I will get a "rocket" stove but I do have 4 woodstoves. Two of them are in the bunker. Which I have only used them the past few years.
I cannot spend $ for a new stove now but Maybe someday.

And I have an overabundance of dead wood on and all around my land. When I cut dead trees for neighbors I many times get even more firewood. I have to burn a lot of wood just to keep from getting piles of wood all over my land.

I also like to burn wood hot and fast to keep the stovepipe from getting creosote in it and to get the bunker warm and dried out fast.

And thanks Arleigh for bringing this pic thread back. No one has posted in it since July except now.

And thanks for telling about your BOL / farm Kingfish. If you post a link to your pic thread you will get more views since most will not take time to look up your thread unless it is easily found by clicking on a link.

This is also my favorite pic thread since quite a few have shown pics and told some about their BOLs / homesteads....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM

For the state of WY stops plowing the state highway a mile from my land and closes the road with a locked gate around early Nov.

just something to think about if shtf they may not plow anything, hate to be a ney sayer just a thought. but great pics and great location!
The Following User Says Thank You to captaingreg For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Look for my post (The Ranch) There are pics of our house in that thread. All in all its work and we are still very vulnerable until we have back up power completed. Kingfish
And here is the link to Kingfish's Ranch pic thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=137786

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingreg View Post
For the state of WY stops plowing the state highway a mile from my land and closes the road with a locked gate around early Nov. < MM Mike posted earlier.

just something to think about if shtf they may not plow anything, hate to be a ney sayer just a thought. but great pics and great location!
Thanks and I like any comments or questions. I actually would like it if the state does not plow the state highway. Especially after a SHTF since that would make my mtn retreat even more difficult to get to.
I have used snowshoes several times walking from the locked gate, six miles downhill, up to my land and bunker.
The deeper the snow the more remote & secure my BOL and bunker are.

Anyone else who has any comments or questions please post. After I go back up to my mtn land I will not be able to answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,163 Times in 8,104 Posts

Very nice. Beautiful landscape's. Subscribing in so I can come back and read.
The Following User Says Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,866 Times in 6,588 Posts

I have to tell you that is one of the best prepared posts I have seen since I've been on this forum!! Must have taken you a long time to set up. Thanks for your effort. Deserves an award!
The Following User Says Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 5,968 Times in 2,096 Posts

Mike, are you nuts? Don't let these guys know we have fish like that up here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextex View Post
I have to tell you that is one of the best prepared posts I have seen since I've been on this forum!! Must have taken you a long time to set up. Thanks for your effort. Deserves an award!
Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Mike, are you nuts? Don't let these guys know we have fish like that up here!
Thanks for the comments and to txflyboy for bringing this thread back up out of the dustbin. It was probably on page 100 plus of this busy section.

And rextex it did take me a long time to create this thread since there are so many pics on it. Most of my 6 pic threads took hours to make. A couple of the longer ones took 2 or more days uploading and then typing out what is in each pic.
I wanted to just message you about this but looks like no way to message or email you?
You and some others might like to see my online bunker where I post all of my pic threads and other info packed threads > http://survivalhq.net/index.php?/for...online-bunker/

And biathlon, I am sure quite a few think I am nuts mainly since I own remote mtn land, I live on it for months, usually from June to Nov. and I even own a strong but crude bunker / underground shelter.

And the trout I showed are from a private pond but the southern Wyoming area as well as most of Wyoming has some of the best trout fishing in the world. There is one area called the Miracle Mile on the N. Platte river a few miles north of my BOL.
And a few other areas in WY that are very beautiful. But if most people wish to think Wyoming is just a desolate unpopulated wasteland then ok with me.

Also If people wish to see some videos a guy took of my BOL last July >

I maybe should make a thread explaining these, especially the first 7 minute video.
Some might wish to skip over where I am talking at first and mainly look at the last five minutes looking around my BOL / retreat and bunker.

Here are 3 very short videos that scs also made of him shooting, of a nearby neighbors' trout pond and of me opening up a culvert. All of these videos were made around the middle of July 2011. About the culvert is that it is a small culvert that is next to my private dirt road. There is another larger culvert which has gotten plugged up in years past and if I would have had a video of me crawling inside of that large culvert then jumping out just as the huge amount of water gushed out then that would have been truly exciting.

Anyway, hope all like these vids. >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCs1sUGpFGc#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LS4g8vV8a4#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVnHD8UxXw#ws
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Trapper

I couldn't watch your videos. They are private. Bummer ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Thanks for the comments and to txflyboy for bringing this thread back up out of the dustbin. It was probably on page 100 plus of this busy section.

And rextex it did take me a long time to create this thread since there are so many pics on it. Most of my 6 pic threads took hours to make. A couple of the longer ones took 2 or more days uploading and then typing out what is in each pic.
I wanted to just message you about this but looks like no way to message or email you?
You and some others might like to see my online bunker where I post all of my pic threads and other info packed threads > http://survivalhq.net/index.php?/for...online-bunker/

And biathlon, I am sure quite a few think I am nuts mainly since I own remote mtn land, I live on it for months, usually from June to Nov. and I even own a strong but crude bunker / underground shelter.

And the trout I showed are from a private pond but the southern Wyoming area as well as most of Wyoming has some of the best trout fishing in the world. There is one area called the Miracle Mile on the N. Platte river a few miles north of my BOL.
And a few other areas in WY that are very beautiful. But if most people wish to think Wyoming is just a desolate unpopulated wasteland then ok with me.

Also If people wish to see some videos a guy took of my BOL last July >

I maybe should make a thread explaining these, especially the first 7 minute video.
Some might wish to skip over where I am talking at first and mainly look at the last five minutes looking around my BOL / retreat and bunker.

MtnmanMike Retreat and bunker - YouTube

Here are 3 very short videos that scs also made of him shooting, of a nearby neighbors' trout pond and of me opening up a culvert. All of these videos were made around the middle of July 2011. About the culvert is that it is a small culvert that is next to my private dirt road. There is another larger culvert which has gotten plugged up in years past and if I would have had a video of me crawling inside of that large culvert then jumping out just as the huge amount of water gushed out then that would have been truly exciting.

Anyway, hope all like these vids. >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCs1sUGpFGc#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LS4g8vV8a4#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVnHD8UxXw#ws
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Default My perfect BOL....

the penthouse of Trump Towers 30 feet underground with running utilities and a chef.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Reach-out Kill enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmtnlady View Post
the penthouse of Trump Towers 30 feet underground with running utilities and a chef.
that trumps my hot dogs over a camp fire without utilities
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Independent Thinker

Thanked 2,821 Times in 978 Posts

How do I miss all of the good threads?
The Following User Says Thank You to Antwan23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM

great looking place
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtrow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
minimalist

Thanks for the great thread, Mike.

I do believe skis and/or snowshoes would be essential to long term plans in the mountains. Living the entire winter up here at Lake Yellowstone, even the snow coaches have broken down. The closest town here was 50 miles, in West Yellowstone, so I never attempted that trek...however, if a person had to ski multiple days, they could winter camp, a viable option for skilled survivalists.
The Following User Says Thank You to thefemalesurvivalist For This Useful Post: