Alcatel Myflip phone as a internet server - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 09-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,840 Times in 10,502 Posts
Default Alcatel Myflip phone as a internet server

Advertise Here

I have had a Tracfone Myflip for several months that I bought as a backup emergency phone. Since it rarely gets used I did not pay much attention to it other than making a couple of phone calls. The cheapest Tracfone plan I signed up for included some DATA allotment, that I never touched up until today, mostly because the phone would not connect to Data 4G LTE as it came.

Well I was playing around with it today and thought I would see if I could get the data working. What I had to do was to rename the APN (under Settings> DATA and Cellular -ON/OFF) to vzwinternet (The Verizon APN) from the tracfone default one... I also selected the network type to LTE/WCDMA plus then turned on the connection for DATA Cellular.

Success 4G LTE came up. I was now able to use the supplied browser (not that I would want to with a phone keypad) and download updates. Which I found in the Settings area. The phone found a update and installed it.

Later on I noticed that there was a Tethering option for sharing Internet connection over USB. What the heck I plugged it into my computer and switched tethering on. Up pops Wired connection 2 notice on my computers network manager (I run Open SUSE 42.3 Linux on the computer) and I was off to the races. No other settings were required of me. I am composing this Thread now while using my computer hooked to the Internet off my little flip phone. Pretty good speed. About 13mb down and 7mb up.

Just thought I would put this out there if you have one of these little flip phones and want to use your computer with it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: