Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Home Security System - Mini Window Alert Jonaz15 DIY - Do It Yourself 18 11-18-2018 10:34 PM
STRAITS RED chapters 14-17 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 1 04-28-2018 06:23 AM
Hope I can help US Preparatory New Member Introduction 21 11-23-2017 02:31 PM
AimCam Sight Video Capture System is Here gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 03-14-2017 11:31 AM
Home security system with drone surveillance Nerf General Discussion 4 11-05-2016 08:33 AM

Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Dogs don't plug in.

If the grid would go down for a length of time people will quickly understand why man domesticated canines.
You don’t have an alternate source of power?

Dogs will become extinct if the grid goes down for any length of time preventing people from obtaining dogs?
Geese make just as much noise as dogs and are no more bulletproof.

Dogs give a false sense of security.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,112 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
You caused me to think. Today if you have a security system you have it turned off, set for in or set for out. If you set it for out it will detect motion. This means a pwrson with an inside dog can never set the alarm for "out". This means once in without tripping the alarm it will not go off. It is easy enough to tell if a home has glass breaks on windows.

Bottom line keeping an inside dog reduces the effectiveness of your security system.
As a guy that has both a home alarm system and dogs I can tell you are clueless about halfway current systems that are available or how they can be installed / configured.

You may want to do some homework and educate yourself a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 06:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,271 Times in 7,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
As a guy that has both a home alarm system and dogs I can tell you are clueless about halfway current systems that are available or how they can be installed / configured.

You may want to do some homework and educate yourself a bit.
Nope, I have a system I am comfortable with. I am sure there are those posting here that would like to understand how/why I am wrong. I personally do not care because I do not believe in indoor dogs. IMO it (keeping a dog indoors) is animal cruelty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Nope, I have a system I am comfortable with. I am sure there are those posting here that would like to understand how/why I am wrong. I personally do not care because I do not believe in indoor dogs. IMO it (keeping a dog indoors) is animal cruelty.
They have been domesticated to the point where most cannot survive outdoors on their own.
I see numerous “lost” dog posts daily on Facebook.

I think the best place for a dog is indoors where it won’t get lost.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
They have been domesticated to the point where most cannot survive outdoors on their own.
I see numerous “lost” dog posts daily on Facebook.

I think the best place for a dog is indoors where it won’t get lost.
A dog that dumb needs to be lost.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Trapper

Quote:
https://www.homesecuritystore.com/al...ors/pet-immune

Follow that link and do some reading then...

Aside of your ignorance with respect to modern alarms systems and their ability to be actually used around dogs you just heaped more ignorance on the pile with your comment about keeping dogs indoors being 'cruel'.

Wouldn't be so bad if you cited a particular breed that was better suited for the outdoors but you made a fairly general statement there that is just not even remotely true for half the breeds out there.

Dobermans are a perfect example of a breed that is much better suited being inside with its owner vs. being kept outside, alone, in some sort of kennel.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
https://www.homesecuritystore.com/al...ors/pet-immune

Follow that link and do some reading then...

Aside of your ignorance with respect to modern alarms systems and their ability to be actually used around dogs you just heaped more ignorance on the pile with your comment about keeping dogs indoors being 'cruel'.

Wouldn't be so bad if you cited a particular breed that was better suited for the outdoors but you made a fairly general statement there that is just not even remotely true for half the breeds out there.

Dobermans are a perfect example of a breed that is much better suited being inside with its owner vs. being kept outside, alone, in some sort of kennel.
What do you want to bet? I believe I can defeat such a system.

But

You are right I had zero knowledge of such systems.

As for the dog thing. I have no doubt there are dogs that cannot survive outside.

IMO keeping a dog with no other function other than being a companion is a sickness and is worse than carrying around a 30 pound security blanket. Why? Because it is a dead waste of time and money.

You are free to waste your time and money.

Breeding such dogs is like breeding a child with no arms so it must always depend on you to be fed and for its care. You may not think that is cruel but I do. Do not misunderstand me breeding work dogs for completing a task is just part of using nature like burning firewood. Most work dogs can and will survive on their own.

There are some working dogs that are 24-7 full time working companions but most are happiest sleeping like wolves not people. My attitude is not absolute.

I have a neighbor that owns a sheep dog. Its hair is kept short year round. It is let outside for 10 minutes twice a day. It defecates in other neighbor's yards and interrupts children's basketball or other games. It just wants to play or follow its instincts.

Most indoor dogs only make nasty people more nasty. The only people worse are those that cannot go into a Walmart without their 25 pound worm infested live bundle of nastiness.

A people needing a support dog should be required to wear a doctor issued handicap tag around their neck. The dog should wear a vest issued by a vet signifying it has both been trained as a service dog and has all its inoculations. Printed on the vest should be a date of expiration. Only a vet and doctor can renew each.

Anyone else should be jailed for endangering public health.

Sorry I know you do not agree so it is best we drop this now. Else we will be guilty of highjacking this thread.

Thanks for the link on security monitors.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,440 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
What do you want to bet? I believe I can defeat such a system.

But

You are right I had zero knowledge of such systems.

As for the dog thing. I have no doubt there are dogs that cannot survive outside.

IMO keeping a dog with no other function other than being a companion is a sickness and is worse than carrying around a 30 pound security blanket. Why? Because it is a dead waste of time and money.

You are free to waste your time and money.

Breeding such dogs is like breeding a child with no arms so it must always depend on you to be fed and for its care. You may not think that is cruel but I do. Do not misunderstand me breeding work dogs for completing a task is just part of using nature like burning firewood. Most work dogs can and will survive on their own.

There are some working dogs that are 24-7 full time working companions but most are happiest sleeping like wolves not people. My attitude is not absolute.

I have a neighbor that owns a sheep dog. Its hair is kept short year round. It is let outside for 10 minutes twice a day. It defecates in other neighbor's yards and interrupts children's basketball or other games. It just wants to play or follow its instincts.

Most indoor dogs only make nasty people more nasty. The only people worse are those that cannot go into a Walmart without their 25 pound worm infested live bundle of nastiness.

A people needing a support dog should be required to wear a doctor issued handicap tag around their neck. The dog should wear a vest issued by a vet signifying it has both been trained as a service dog and has all its inoculations. Printed on the vest should be a date of expiration. Only a vet and doctor can renew each.

Anyone else should be jailed for endangering public health.

Sorry I know you do not agree so it is best we drop this now. Else we will be guilty of highjacking this thread.

Thanks for the link on security monitors.
I'm most of the way with ya. Says the girl with a cur dog laying on her feet and a 10 year old GSD laying next to her so she can reach out and pet him when he has a bad dream.

Both are inside/outside dogs but given the cur's short hair and the GSD's advanced age I can't in good conscience put them out when temps are below 50F. I know ... I'm a smuck.

Both make sure I know someone is around LONG before I hear a thing, so they've earned a pass from me. That said, I can't tell what is a greater deterrent, them or the motion sensor lighting I put up a few years back when some teenagers thought it was great fun to jump back fences and tap on the windows of rooms facing the back yard. The last thing I wanted to do was go check what was going on without lights in the yard and I didn't want to turn on the lights in the room so ... up went the outdoor lights. Funny how kids quit getting in my backyard after that first night they were awash in light!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,561 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
You don’t have an alternate source of power?

Dogs will become extinct if the grid goes down for any length of time preventing people from obtaining dogs?
Geese make just as much noise as dogs and are no more bulletproof.

Considering dogs have been around for millions of years, and electricity has been in common use for less than 150 years, I'd say your "logic" is flawed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Considering dogs have been around for millions of years, and electricity has been in common use for less than 150 years, I'd say your "logic" is flawed.
No, your reading comprehension is flawed.

See the question mark?
It wasn’t a statement.

My point was that if the grid goes down and people cannot use a security system then they could go get a dog because dogs will still be around if power isn’t.

And dogs haven’t been around for millions of years...
Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 PM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
For strictly security purposes. Is a dog better than a security system?

Pros/Cons?

I think both is advantageous , two is one !
The Following User Says Thank You to surfcast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 02:58 AM
Hunter

Quote:
No, your reading comprehension is flawed.

See the question mark?
It wasn’t a statement.

My point was that if the grid goes down and people cannot use a security system then they could go get a dog because dogs will still be around if power isn’t.

And dogs haven’t been around for millions of years...
My opinion of your credibility hasn't changed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/prehistoric-dogs-1093301

Quote:
The First Canids: Hesperocyon and the "Bone-Crushing Dogs"
Paleontologists agree that the late Eocene (about 40 to 35 million years ago) Hesperocyon was directly ancestral to all later canids—and thus to the genus Canis, which branched off from a subfamily of canids about six million years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
My opinion of your credibility hasn't changed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/prehistoric-dogs-1093301
First, you don’t address your mistake in the post where your reading comprehension lacked so bad that you totally misread my post and issued your first incorrect comment towards me, but I don’t expect that you’re the type of person to correct yourself so...

Now,
From your own link:
Quote:
And second, of course, dog evolution took a sharp right turn about 15,000 years ago, when the first wolves were domesticated by early humans
You said dogs.
Dogs are domesticated wild animals.
You didn’t say the canine species.
This thread isn’t about tree dwelling bear like creatures with early canine dna that evolved into what we call dogs today.

So again, your reading comprehension sucks pal.
But keep doubling down, it’s hysterical.

Dogs, mans beloved best friend, have not been around for millions of years, the species has but not what we call dogs.
Nobody calls a modern day pack of wolves dogs, they are wolves.
A Fox is not called a dog. Well except maybe by a child who sees one in a field who doesn’t know any better.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Hunter

Quote:
So again, your reading comprehension sucks pal.
But keep doubling down, it’s hysterical.
Quote:
You said dogs.
Dogs are domesticated wild animals.
You didn’t say the canine species.
Dogs are canines.

Quote:
Dogs are domesticated wild animals
They were dogs before the were domesticated too.
Cows were cows, sheep were sheep, etc.

My opinion about your credibility remains unchanged.
It's not based on just this one thread.

Quote:
Then why not just say that instead of this?:
Quote:
Maybe your writing is more "poor" than my reading.
Let's not waste any more time on you trying to change my mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Boo hoo some random nobody on the internet thinks I have no creditability.
Hahaha!

I’m soooo sad now.
Haha haha!

Snipper...
Haha haha!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,261 Posts

A Swedish study suggests that owning a dog is linked to a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease and death. However they caution that cause and effect have not been demonstrated so don't rush out and buy granny a dog.

Someone in my past told me country people used Guinea Fowl for security. I thought of it when I recently read that they are sometimes purchased for revenge purposes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
A Swedish study suggests that owning a dog is linked to a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease and death. However they caution that cause and effect have not been demonstrated so don't rush out and buy granny a dog.
The older I get the less I like dogs trying to pull my arms out of their sockets when trying to walk them on a leash.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,967 Times in 2,204 Posts

Quote:
The older I get the less I like dogs trying to pull my arms out of their sockets when trying to walk them on a leash.

Thats the dog walking you.......

An easy way to break a leading dog with poor handler habits is to 180 EVERYTIME it leads the leash, even if it means taking only 2 steps and spinning.

You may look like a carnival shooting gallery target but they will learn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillHere View Post
Thats the dog walking you.......

An easy way to break a leading dog with poor handler habits is to 180 EVERYTIME it leads the leash, even if it means taking only 2 steps and spinning.

You may look like a carnival shooting gallery target but they will learn.
You mean dogs aren't supposed to control their owners?

Seems counter to what many believe but ok...
Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Survivor

On a related note, yesterday on Facebook I saw no less than a dozen lost or found home security units posted.
They were out wandering in the cold waiting for their owner to rescue them.