Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Home Security System - Mini Window Alert Jonaz15 DIY - Do It Yourself 18 11-18-2018 10:34 PM
STRAITS RED chapters 14-17 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 1 04-28-2018 06:23 AM
Hope I can help US Preparatory New Member Introduction 21 11-23-2017 02:31 PM
AimCam Sight Video Capture System is Here gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 03-14-2017 11:31 AM
Home security system with drone surveillance Nerf General Discussion 4 11-05-2016 08:33 AM

Old 11-27-2018, 04:38 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 16,461 Times in 5,102 Posts
Default Canine Versus Security System

Advertise Here

For strictly security purposes. Is a dog better than a security system?

Pros/Cons?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Just a Dumb Frog

I think of my dogs as an early warning system
They give me those few extra seconds to get ready
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SkyKid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 26,530 Times in 6,330 Posts

Both have pros and cons.

Dogs could be poisoned and a system can be cut/hacked/lose power. I would guess in the long run a dog is going to cost you more with feeding and healthcare. You also don't have to pick up a security systems crap. But a security system won't lay with its head on your lap. Then again, you won't get sued if a security system bites someone.

Ah hell, just buy another gun!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:

Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 13,941 Times in 3,412 Posts

Mine are set up to be complimentary . I think you could argue all have pros and cons , I think the trick is to layer them so they work together with additional psychological deterants complimentary . Think multiple layers such that no one in their right mind would case the place and then proceed to pick you for a victim in the first place but if they were extra stupid would be regretting the experience by the moment .
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 906 Posts

As friendly as my two dogs really are unless total stranger. They have let the People that walk down the street this is their territory. I like that.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 10,642 Times in 4,309 Posts

Dogs smell.
Dogs cost money.
Dogs require attention.
Dogs sleep.
Dogs get sick.
Dogs crap and need attention.
Dogs can be shot, stabbed, poisoned...
Dogs are a liability if they eat the face off a child.
Dogs have a mind of their own and no matter how well you claim you trained them they can and do go off the deep end.

Security systems donít need any of the above attention like feeding, vets, petting, cleaning up crap, purging their butts, flea baths...
Security systems donít bleed all over, hump legs, chew $2500 couches...

Security systems can be a witness after the fact.
Security systems can have battery backups.
Security systems can be admissible in court.
Security systems can warn you just as early if not earlier than a dog...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 09:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,483 Times in 5,488 Posts

I am a dog person , and I love Dogs, dogs require training in order to be Good at whatever their task is , my hounds are in Kennels in the barn , we have 2 long haired Chiawawas , Biggie Spuds and Tito if they are going to be worthless dogs they just has well have worthless names , these 2 turds are house dogs , then we have IZZY German Shepherd x Blue Heeler 80 pound gyp and spayed and she stays outside with me throughout the day at night she comes in , if you break in too bad for you , the turds will wake me up, Izzy will be chewing on you and I will put you out of your MISERY! House dogs have to be house trained for sure. Fly swatters work on children and Puppies , if one waits till they get to old it will be like trying to reign in a unruly teenager you will have to use a GD Club to get their attention. JMHO and S/FI!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 09:51 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

I like dogs too. I have been juggling the idea of getting another one but then I remember the 3+ hours I spent walking my last one almost every day and it turns me off. If we lived on some acreage where it could roam freely it would be a done deal.

As it is now, in the burbs, I could walk the dog on the nearby hiking trails but then that would be more time away from the household we are supposed to be protecting in the first place.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
I like dogs too. I have been juggling the idea of getting another one but then I remember the 3+ hours I spent walking my last one almost every day and it turns me off. If we lived on some acreage where it could roam freely it would be a done deal.

As it is now, in the burbs, I could walk the dog on the nearby hiking trails but then that would be more time away from the household we are supposed to be protecting in the first place.
IMHO dogs are a great early warning system.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
IMHO dogs are a great early warning system.
My last one was until she hit about 12 years old and started going deaf and "hearing things". Spent more than a few nights running downstairs ready to battle intruders in my underwear
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Prepared

Talking List is Lopsided on Dog/System Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Dogs smell.
Dogs cost money.
Dogs require attention.
Dogs sleep.
Dogs get sick.
Dogs crap and need attention.
Dogs can be shot, stabbed, poisoned...
Dogs are a liability if they eat the face off a child.
Dogs have a mind of their own and no matter how well you claim you trained them they can and do go off the deep end.

Security systems donít need any of the above attention like feeding, vets, petting, cleaning up crap, purging their butts, flea baths...
Security systems donít bleed all over, hump legs, chew $2500 couches...

Security systems can be a witness after the fact.
Security systems can have battery backups.
Security systems can be admissible in court.
Security systems can warn you just as early if not earlier than a dog...
Omitted from the above:

Security systems cost money: requiring either large initial outlay ($$$) or upgrades for more functionality ($$)
Security systems need attention: REGULAR operating systems updates (either by operator or by third party who is paid to)
Security systems need attention: require monitoring and adjustments (e.g., is the camera still pointed in the correct direction? Are all pieces still functioning?)
Security systems can be subverted: hacked by trained individuals
Security systems can be avoided: modified / destroyed by attacking individuals (paint vs. bullet vs. wire cutting vs. jamming)
Security systems can be subverted: subpoenaed for use against you in court proceedings
Security systemsí battery backups need attention: must be replaced on a regular basis ($$); could possibly be repurposed if common size
Security systemsĎ warning triggers need attention: must be calibrated for your setup (E.g., how many times have you heard a car alarm screaming about wind / passerbyís?)

I.e., if you believe security systems donít have expensive recurring charges ($$) too, you havenít been paying attention.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RW_in_DC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Survivor

Dogs/wolves were/are mans best friend and oldest ally/hunting companion and early warning device. S/fi!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,900 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
For strictly security purposes. Is a dog better than a security system?

Pros/Cons?
I use both. A dog can help with the short period of time your empty house may be waiting on the police to arrive.

Here is another tip.

When we leave the house, we open the bedroom doors that have important items in them. If you have a safe or jewelry, etc in any room. Leave those doors open. That way if someone goes into the house through a window the dogs can get in there. A lot of people close all their interior doors. that's fine, just open the important ones when you leave.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Drill That Oil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,828 Times in 3,408 Posts

We have 4 dogs, 3 of them large guard dogs ( one GSD in the house, 2 Great Pyrenees to guard the livestock).
If you live in a rural area and are mostly home, a security system would be nonsense. If you are not home, and someone breaks in, it would take a very long time for any sort of police to show up, if at all. Besides, we don't have a phone line , so probably not possible.
Dogs bark, and will bite intruders ( human and animals) and we will know and can shot them.

If you live in a city and are away from home a lot, a security system might be a better option. So it depends on your situation
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:10 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 13,941 Times in 3,412 Posts

Your security system is going to have to take into account your setting and circumstance and thoughtfully planned out to serve your own situation . It is not that one thing is better than another , it is where each component functions to serve your security.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW_in_DC View Post
Omitted from the above:

Security systems cost money: requiring either large initial outlay ($$$) or upgrades for more functionality ($$)
Security systems need attention: REGULAR operating systems updates (either by operator or by third party who is paid to)
Security systems need attention: require monitoring and adjustments (e.g., is the camera still pointed in the correct direction? Are all pieces still functioning?)
Security systems can be subverted: hacked by trained individuals
Security systems can be avoided: modified / destroyed by attacking individuals (paint vs. bullet vs. wire cutting vs. jamming)
Security systems can be subverted: subpoenaed for use against you in court proceedings
Security systems’ battery backups need attention: must be replaced on a regular basis ($$); could possibly be repurposed if common size
Security systems‘ warning triggers need attention: must be calibrated for your setup (E.g., how many times have you heard a car alarm screaming about wind / passerby’s?)

I.e., if you believe security systems don’t have expensive recurring charges ($$) too, you haven’t been paying attention.
It’s obvious you think this is still 1987 and security systems haven’t become way less costly, way more user friendly and way more reliable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
We have 4 dogs, 3 of them large guard dogs ( one GSD in the house, 2 Great Pyrenees to guard the livestock).
If you live in a rural area and are mostly home, a security system would be nonsense. If you are not home, and someone breaks in, it would take a very long time for any sort of police to show up, if at all. Besides, we don't have a phone line , so probably not possible.
Dogs bark, and will bite intruders ( human and animals) and we will know and can shot them.

If you live in a city and are away from home a lot, a security system might be a better option. So it depends on your situation
If youíre not home and you are that far away from civilization a dog isnít going to keep a serious crook from robbing you.
A hardened criminal will have no qualms in shooting your dog.

If you have internet you can be alerted that your system is going off.
If you have cameras that save to the cloud and some crook kills your dogs while youíre not home at least there would be the possibility of getting a look at the crooks.

But your right, different situations might call for different types of protection.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Seems to me that many dog owners have this unrealistic view that their dog is somehow a supernatural being not capable of being harmed by an armed and hardened criminal.

If a criminal or more than one criminal breaks into your home bent on taking your stuff and they are willing to kill you to do so they sure in the hell wouldn’t have a problem dispatching the barking dog behind that door.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,262 Times in 5,106 Posts

A dog(s) can only do so much in a situation where none of their humans are present. Many perps will stay away if dogs are in the home but determined crooks can defeat them when they are alone there.
For us, dogs are the first line of defense to slow down or dissuade bad people while we gather ourselves and our arms to defend the property. It gives us another option in our defensive arsenal.
Security systems are very useful but lack an actual presence to physically intervene and effect the outcome of a conflict.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
If youíre not home and you are that far away from civilization a dog isnít going to keep a serious crook from robbing you.
A hardened criminal will have no qualms in shooting your dog.

If you have internet you can be alerted that your system is going off.
If you have cameras that save to the cloud and some crook kills your dogs while youíre not home at least there would be the possibility of getting a look at the crooks.

But your right, different situations might call for different types of protection.
We have both Dogs and SECURITY Cameras , that record/UPLOAD to our E-MAIL.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post: