Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about shortening a high tension wire fence Peredhil DIY - Do It Yourself 14 10-18-2018 09:50 AM
Survival Questions Lost Woods Survival Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 07-17-2018 08:31 PM
Questions about the Soul cat1978 Religious Discussion 16 04-07-2018 10:28 AM
Mr Heater Big Buddy Questions ThankfulK Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 12-29-2017 07:27 PM
U.S Army Infantry - Some questions 7.5x55 Swiss General Discussion 88 11-10-2017 03:18 PM

Old 10-31-2018, 09:45 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 2,244 Times in 831 Posts
Default Questions on boondocking

Advertise Here

I'm going to be in the mid-west this winter (job related) and I'll be staying in an Alaskan truck camper. I plan to boondock the entire time to save on costs. My water supply (toilet and shower) I will join a gym for $5 per month. I have my backpack stove for cooking. My problem I'm having is of course, electricity. I am planning on heating my camper with a Mr. Buddy heater. But I'm wanting to set up a couple LED lights and have power for charging my electronics. The best course of action to take to accomplish this, from what I've figured out, is to have a 2000 watt portable inverter. I can charge it up during the day while I'm at work by using the outlets I'll be working around.
Does this sound like it will work? Can you think of something else that my be better? If it gets real cold, I may have to use an electric heater or blanket. Would a 2000 watt inverter be enough?
Thanks for any help/advice,
Joe
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

Unless your electric blanket is very low wattage and your separate battery bank is robust, I think you may have a tough go of it, getting enough hours of operation. It's usually not a great idea operating a heat producing electrical device from a battery.

Even though I think the Buddy heaters have low oxy shutoffs, you may want to use caution when sleeping in a small area with a portable gas heater.
The Following User Says Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,065 Times in 940 Posts

Humidity will be tough. You will bring in snow and mud and even your heaters will be producing water vapor. When you aren’t in it and letting it get cold maybe open a roof vent a little, or a lot, to bring in fresh air to dry it out and get rid of the smells, which will build up. What are you cooking on?
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 10:24 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,697 Times in 20,444 Posts

It's fun to stay at the YMCA.

No battery bank you will want to buy or haul around will run an electric blanket for long.
A small 800 watt chinese generator would maybe work. They are pretty quiet.
Or a Honda 2000i

And fire used for heating will produce water, which will freeze against the outside walls or insulation and kill any insulation value you have in the walls. Humidity will grow mildew ..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,177 Times in 8,888 Posts

New electric blankets don't work with inverters - the circuitry thinks they are shorted because of the no real ground (I think). YMMV

You put out more than a half gallon of water just breathing during the night sleeping - unless you keep the camper well ventilated or really warm you will build lots of condensation, and soon mold. Every few days really warm up the unit and then open all the windows/vents to drive out the moisture.

Open the top vent some and use hot water bottles or a better sleeping bag/blankets to stay warm instead of a heater to stay warm while sleeping. In the morning reach out bed and light the heater or a lantern. Have your second alarm if needed wake you in about 1/2 hour. It will be warm enough to get dressed and have some coffee (a good thermos is nice) make breakfast etc.

Down booties, a wool beanie, jersey gloves and expedition weight polypropylene long johns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:50 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thank you! I thought having a electric blanket may be a stretch. I'm looking into inverter generators or what JustMe11 said about Honda 2000i
Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,387 Times in 2,067 Posts

Charlie's got it right - get a sleeping bag rated to the temps and use hot water bottles to supplement. Running a Little Buddy at night will add humidity and use oxygen; not all models have CO or low-O2 sensors, so be careful. Just use your warm bag at night and then heat it up in the morning before you get out.

An inverter just converts battery power (12VDC) to 120VAC (like house power). It doesn't store energy so you'll need to hook it up to a battery. Be very careful if you hook it up to your truck battery b/c you might drain it to the point where it can't start the truck. RVs have separate house batteries for that reason.

Getting a cheap Harbor Freight solar kit with a battery would probably be good enough to charge your phone and stuff...and putting a small inverter on that would be helpful. But building a setup to run an electric blanket, or any other electric heater, probably won't be worth the cost and hassle.

I've camped in single digits in a 3-season RV, so keep asking questions if you have them. I'll share what I know.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

Those mid-west winters can get rough, but being able to salt away all that cash you'd otherwise be spending on housing makes it worth it IMHO. I've never been a fan of truck campers because they tend to turn into ice boxes in the winter, but it's not like you'll be doing much other than sleeping and preparing food that will be much better than eating overpriced junk food.
I was in a similar position once, and just seeing my bank account swell up helped to keep me warm. Instead of a backpacking stove, I used a two-burner propane stove that I fed with a big tank using an adapter. The tank lasted for weeks, and to be safer I built a simple aluminum box that the stove fit into to prevent the chance of a fire. Had bacon and eggs or oatmeal every morning and make lots of stews and soups when I got home at night, and one of my favorite meals was either fried boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs.
Instead of trying to maintain a comfortable temperature all night long, I bought a monster sleeping bag that was rated to thirty below zero and was comfortable in all but the coldest weather. Before bedtime I'd open the vent on the top of the camper and run a catalytic for a few minutes to warm things up, and in the morning cooking breakfast would warm things up.
My electrical system was build around a small battery bank and inverter that was connected to the truck's alternator through a transfer switch so the batteries got charged driving to and from work each day. For entertainment I'd go to the local library and download content or borrow DVDs for free and play them using my laptop's HDMI port connected to a small flat screen TV.
All in all it was a comfortable and rewarding six months that allowed me to save lots of cash that would otherwise been spent on overpriced housing and food. It was also fun because it I enjoyed the challenge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,944 Times in 7,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
I'm going to be in the mid-west this winter (job related) and I'll be staying in an Alaskan truck camper.
http://alaskancampers.com/alaskan-campers-history/

Alaskan truck campers have a water tank, sink, propane stove & fridge in them

NOT CHEAP

http://alaskancampers.com/alaskan-ca...tures-pricing/
Old 11-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,805 Times in 19,074 Posts

I spent November till Feb in northern New Jersey (wind coming in off the ocean) ....in my Airstream. (Winterized, using the campground bathroom)

Find somewhere with shore power or you'll spend a fortune on propane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 04:01 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,386 Times in 1,671 Posts

Creative use of the word "Boondocking".
Old 11-01-2018, 06:58 AM
The Lord's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
http://alaskancampers.com/alaskan-campers-history/

Alaskan truck campers have a water tank, sink, propane stove & fridge in them

NOT CHEAP

http://alaskancampers.com/alaskan-ca...tures-pricing/
I'm not planning on using the water tank or stove. My water source will come from the local gym I will be joining and I plan on doing all my cooking with my MSR Windburner cook stove. My fridge is actually an ice box. Many Alaskan campers are expensive, but not mine, it is a 1967 model and bought it from the original owner's daughter/husband. Mint condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaskan 1st Day.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	279774   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 trip.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	279776  
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
I'm not planning on using the water tank or stove. My water source will come from the local gym I will be joining and I plan on doing all my cooking with my MSR Windburner cook stove. My fridge is actually an ice box. Many Alaskan campers are expensive, but not mine, it is a 1967 model and bought it from the original owner's daughter/husband. Mint condition.
That entire thing is an "icebox". It gets COLD anywhere here in the Midwest. Your YMCA water supply is going to be a large icecube by morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,177 Times in 8,888 Posts

I would try and put a second battery (deep cycle) type under the hood and have it on an isolator to charge when the motor is running. Maybe some solar panels on the roof of the camper to help keep your battery up if you aren't driving daily.

Add LED lighting if it doesn't have it already. Get the car charger for your computer/entertainment center. These should run on the aux battery.

Get a CO monitor.

It doesn't look all that roomy. Running a buddy heater/lantern on throw away cans is at least 5 times as expensive as off a BBQ tank. You can fill the throw away cans for about 75 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 AM
The Lord's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
That entire thing is an "icebox". It gets COLD anywhere here in the Midwest. Your YMCA water supply is going to be a large icecube by morning.
Lol, good one!
Charlie, you're spot on as usual. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 956 Posts

Use sleep gear rated for bellow the expected temps.

Do not sleep with a buddy heater on. Use it before sleep & in the am.

Donít use an LP tank inside, donít even store it inside.

We use an LP tank with an LP hose fir the buddy heater, LP tank is stored on a swing out on the bumper. You could likely fashion up an inexpensive storage fir one on a hitch mount, with reasonable enough secure storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,147 Posts

Maybevrun a crock pot when you have utility power.
Plenty of 12v led.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,210 Posts

I did almost a week in non-attached truck bed trailer and camper shell like that....

The one thing I wish it had were jack stands or blocks under the frame. Moving around in it shifted and dumped almost everything over was a soft suspension. Thats a 4x4 bed, and if its the original suspension it may be stiff enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,805 Times in 19,074 Posts

Quote:
You can ABSOLUTELY do it.

.....and be completely miserable if done longer than a month or so.
And then, unless your REALLY motivated you'll "treat yourself" to a motel here and there till any savings over paying for a hookup will be spent.

I endorse the Honda 2000, either of mine do 6-6.5 hours under load.

$1.5-$3\day, some days $6-7.
Electric hookup $200-$350/month.

Then there's the cost of a GOOD Subzero bag and $1100 for the geny. (granted an asset)

Honestly get a 4 piece military sleep system.... For your truck if nothing else. $100ish.

If nothing else make friends or ask your work of you can run an extension cord to : Electric blanket and one of those RV heater cubes (and that wont be enough, in NJ I was running propane AND electric heat.... Still cold some days.

Also consider: A cheap long term motel will have a kitchen. And you WILL Go out to eat more than you should dude.... Because your nest will be uncomfortable and complicated.

When I did it I was working for myself, and was making so much money eating out and writing reports while someone else cooked was no biggie.
I take it you'll have job performance. To be impacted...?

Having done it I either wouldn't, or only would for a few weeks while I made a paycheck and looked for better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

A little off topic here, but just wanted to mention this. If you stay in one place for longer than a week or so, you're not a boondocker... you're a squatter. Just don't want you to tick anyone off.

Sounds like you have an adventure ahead of you.