Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alaska Secession foxkitten86 General Discussion 8 03-01-2018 10:21 PM
Communication Complete Newbie- where to start? happypreppermom Communications 26 06-12-2017 06:26 AM

Old 09-22-2018, 10:41 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 5,855 Times in 1,515 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
Assuming you're serious, how so? What do you think were the greatest dangers on a that trip?
Dangers? Incapacitating injuries and sicknesses, bear attacks, drowning and/or loss of food & gear in rivers, getting soaking wet from a tip-over and freezing, starvation, going for a short hike away from camp in the evening to watch the sunset, and not being able to find your way back after dark, and on and on. Going solo and unarmed is never a good idea in a northern mountain wilderness, which I have done many times (armed) on elk hunting trips in the mountains in MT & ID, but only for a day or two at a time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neut Anderson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 10:52 AM
In the Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neut Anderson View Post
Dangers? Incapacitating injuries and sicknesses, bear attacks, drowning and/or loss of food & gear in rivers, getting soaking wet from a tip-over and freezing, starvation, and on and on. Going solo is never a good idea in the wilderness (which I have done many times on hunting trips in the mountains in MT & ID, but only for a day or two at a time.)
The greatest risk of all is not living your life.

Going solo is a bad idea if a person isn't prepared or doesn't know what they are doing. I was neither.

It's not my first rodeo: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=374924
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buck3m For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Hiker

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of members who are tougher than I am and have of skills and knowledge and life experience that I don't, but thanks for the sentiment.

I don't know if I'm a great writer, but I've written a couple books. Books are a whole lot of work! This story I'm just posting for free in journal form.
Perhaps, but they do not seem to post here. We sure get a lot of safety posts from the "lecture tour". The proverbial keyboard warriors and armchair quarterbacks. Full of jealousy and empty of much experience.

Said it well, "The greatest risk of all is not living your life."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,314 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Dangers? Incapacitating injuries and sicknesses, bear attacks, drowning and/or loss of food & gear in rivers, getting soaking wet from a tip-over and freezing, starvation, going for a short hike away from camp in the evening to watch the sunset, and not being able to find your way back after dark, and on and on. Going solo and unarmed is never a good idea in a northern mountain wilderness, which I have done many times (armed) on elk hunting trips in the mountains in MT & ID, but only for a day or two at a time.
Quote:

Going solo is a bad idea if a person isn't prepared or doesn't know what they are doing. I was neither.

So many people go into the wilderness solo. I'd never get out there if I didn't go alone. I do take precautions and am as safe as I can be, but as with everything there is always a risk. I am actually more likely to die or get injured on the way to the trailhead than I am in the wilderness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 5,855 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:

I agree that living your dreams is great, and I'm one of the few who has actually done it. Rather my remarks were meant to caution the inexperienced and unprepared not to be stupid about it, such as hiking long distances in freezing cold bear country unarmed and alone.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:29 PM
In the Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
...Be sure to update here when ever you update the journal...
Here you go!

The Following User Says Thank You to buck3m For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
If you don't mind could you go over the equipment you brought with you? Mostly I am interested in you canoe(I am assuming it is a canoe) and set up for boating and how you pack everything to keep it dry.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 AM
In the Taiga

Quote:
If you don't mind could you go over the equipment you brought with you? Mostly I am interested in you canoe(I am assuming it is a canoe) and set up for boating and how you pack everything to keep it dry.
I will be posting a gear list at some point, but I was using a AIRE Outfitter I inflatable kayak. It's a bit slow, but very stable and I've been very pleased with it. A big advantage is it can be deflated and rolled up and easily put on a plane.

To keep most of my stuff dry when I was kayaking I had a large dry bag similar to this one. I also had a 20mm steel ammo can, that was part of my "boat cache." Those are great because they are reasonably bear proof, seal well, and are nice for protecting small gear that might be crushed.

When I was backpacking I lined my pack with two trash compactor bags. Usually I use one, but I was doing so many river crossings I wanted to make sure to keep my sleeping bag dry if I fell in.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,840 Times in 2,633 Posts

Another amazing trip. Well done Buck.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,824 Times in 5,140 Posts

Quote:
Doing that kind of trip solo and unarmed seems dangerously foolish to me.
I never had anything more powerful than bear spray and a labrador mix with me on the trail back in my day. I never used the bear spray even though we saw literally scores of bears. Had them coming into camp several times.

The Alaskans I met were above and beyond kind and bent over backwards several times to help us (I was with a girl).
One time we were hiking along a road (I think somewhere outside of Soldotna?) in the pouring rain, me, her, and a sopping wet dog. Lady with two kids in a subaru Forester stopped and made us pile in and get out of the rain. Drove us about 15 miles to town. One of the most selfless things I've ever experienced.

We got fed so many times, people would literally give us salmon and meat from their freezers, ate like kings the whole time there (still lost 40 pounds...). Never felt in any danger, even when we were miles in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Remote Alaska is very unforgiving. I have lived, worked, hunted and played up north since 1978. Being part of the food chain alone has some serious challenges. I consider this man and his endeavor very lucky. Alaska expends a considerable amount of resources recovering and rescuing people doing exactly what this fellow did.
Neut Anderson is right.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,696 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
That trip sounds awesome. I often think of how neat it would be to do something like that but when I start actually thinking of what it would involve I realize how tough and miserable it would actually be(most likely the first few days would be great, then a week or so of wishing I had never started, then eventually getting used to it and it just being another day)

Be sure to update here when ever you update the journal. What was the tent you were using?
To many people, the most difficult tasks they've ever voluntarily undertaken are the events they look to for motivation whenever something bad happens to them.
Life is meant to be a challenge. Men ain't meant to livin' easy, and the ones who do usually don't last as long as the ones who don't. All that BS about how stress kills you and how you should save your money to prepare for a comfy retirement of sitting around and visitin' the youngins, is just a prep for the big dirt nap.
I've known lots of guys who basically fall apart when they experience a tragedy, but the guys who have lived tough, full lives know how to take it in stride
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Homesteader

Lots of differing viewpoints here on Buck's trip. I've done similar trips but nothing quite so extensive and also the more extensive ones not solo. I do know a young lady in Fairbanks who takes a similar solo and unarmed trip every summer (month long trip and not near so many miles) into the Alaska wilderness. She's survived (so far).

As Buck said, it's not his first rodeo and I'll add not by a long shot when you get to know his accomplishments. I would also wager that he takes the dangers into account and weighs them carefully and makes his decisions accordingly. Deciding to live his life the way he wants to and accepting that he might die but going anyway.

As for myself, I've always carried a gun and I expect I always will. One of the things I have found is that it is next to impossible to find a compatible companion that has the time, money and fortitude (even the desire) to attempt such an extensive trip which weighs heavily toward the necessity of soloing.

Buck's journal isn't complete (at least to my search) and he obviously planned the trip well. He had the necessary stamina, equipment and caches and most importantly succeeded because he's back here to write about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 09:57 AM
In the Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
... I do know a young lady in Fairbanks who takes a similar solo and unarmed trip every summer (month long trip and not near so many miles) into the Alaska wilderness...
Does her name start with an "L?" 40ish?
Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM
In the Taiga

Latest post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buck3m For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I never had anything more powerful than bear spray and a labrador mix with me on the trail back in my day. I never used the bear spray even though we saw literally scores of bears. Had them coming into camp several times.

The Alaskans I met were above and beyond kind and bent over backwards several times to help us (I was with a girl).
One time we were hiking along a road (I think somewhere outside of Soldotna?) in the pouring rain, me, her, and a sopping wet dog. Lady with two kids in a subaru Forester stopped and made us pile in and get out of the rain. Drove us about 15 miles to town. One of the most selfless things I've ever experienced.

We got fed so many times, people would literally give us salmon and meat from their freezers, ate like kings the whole time there (still lost 40 pounds...). Never felt in any danger, even when we were miles in the middle of nowhere.
TLDR summary: My old hiking partner was a good looking girl. We got treated like royalty. Huge shock for a dude.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
Does her name start with an "L?" 40ish?

Yep! We are probably thinking of the same one. Starts with L and ends with L.

Small world. You knew Ivan too.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 AM
In the Taiga

Quote:
Yep! We are probably thinking of the same one. Starts with L and ends with L.

Small world. You knew Ivan too.
That's her! Amazing how small the world can be.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Homesteader

I took the time to read the journals today. Great adventure and great photos.

Well done!!

Also I now know what aufeis is. I remember a movie I saw once years ago and the words were that in German auf means on. Don't know whether it is factual or not but when the ice is 5 ft thick, it is definitely 'on'.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 AM
In the Taiga

Quote:
I took the time to read the journals today. Great adventure and great photos.

Well done!!

Also I now know what aufeis is. I remember a movie I saw once years ago and the words were that in German auf means on. Don't know whether it is factual or not but when the ice is 5 ft thick, it is definitely 'on'.
Thanks. One good thing about writing it up is the opportunity to experience it all again. I'd never heard the word aufeis until fairly recently. It's a good word though, because it is a unique phenomenon.