An incredible wilderness compound... that the bank can't get rid of! - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
STRAITS RED chapters 27-28 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 1 04-29-2018 12:57 PM
A couple of questions about the battery bank I've built... hlsjunk DIY - Do It Yourself 32 01-07-2017 09:58 PM

Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,516 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
Yep, since I posted that, have reached out to the Listing agents... We'll see what happens, Might go up and have a looksee, at the very least... Already planning a drive across (..another.. Done it 2x this year.. +_+ ) CA > NY for one of our jobs, soon, so.. We'll see.. And ya, Hubbard Lake is pretty much right there...

..Wasn't in the 'plans' to consider a move to MI, since we've already Got 'BOL' land up in NorCal, but... Sometimes, some of Life's 'Best Detours'... are those unplanned... (kids, pets, etc..) We shall see..

jd
Double tap. Sorry net is not good here unless you go with T-1. may be better where the property is though since it's more populated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM
Survivor

If you do it welcome to the general neighborhood. I'm not giving you my address but I haven't looked that one up either. Hit the MI subforum and see the sales prices that a store about 45 miles from there sells for. Great store and if you have an average US income you will be happy in the area. Gas is high though running 2.95-3.05 week to week since it's tourist season but although I could be wrong I think that is well within what you pay in Cali. Just remember buy bulk on sale because local stores will rape you on everything when there are no sales.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Prepare Adapt andOvercome

where is this property, what money are they asking for it and what size is it? I am not interested in buying but it would be helpful to know what the thread is about. No need to be specific just roughly if you are worried someone else will buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,517 Times in 8,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post
where is this property, what money are they asking for it and what size is it? I am not interested in buying but it would be helpful to know what the thread is about. No need to be specific just roughly if you are worried someone else will buy it.
The size, the price are stated in the OP.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 11:34 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,713 Times in 901 Posts

@ aussie... Forum-bot much?

@ Potwami, thanks.. Curious, what's Diesel like up in the area? That will be more relevant for Us, fuel-wise.. And.. Propane..

Thanks, cheers..
jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
@ aussie... Forum-bot much?

@ Potwami, thanks.. Curious, what's Diesel like up in the area? That will be more relevant for Us, fuel-wise.. And.. Propane..

Thanks, cheers..
jd
10-20 cents more a gallon usually. Not sure on propane since it really varies by time of year and sometimes gets jacked during a cold spell. It also varies by size of tank and since I heat with wood I have a small tank and pay a bit of a premium.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,307 Posts

I heard a company called propane plus is selling gas for $1.39 a gallon at this time. They will lock in the price for a period of time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,012 Times in 929 Posts

The price of fuel (gasoline,diesel,propane) should be non contributory to folks who might be seriously considering this property...IMO anyways.

I mean, the value and the savings would far outweigh the price of same fuel in several lifetimes.

Now, if you can’t get propane delivered to the property, that may weigh in to the purchase decision. There are workarounds for that though, I would think. Smaller tanks, and set up a “tank farm” further out from buildings. You’d still have to deal with hauling them in yourself though.

Haul in a storage tank for diesel, and get a pickup with a bed tank and offload the bed tank into the storage tank every trip “to town”.

Simple, but a little complicated.

I’d be more concerned about rite of ways to always have access...no matter who buys what, builds what on surrounding properties.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,303 Times in 3,406 Posts

Had I known about this place a year ago I would have considered it. We ended up buying a 1452sqft log cabin on 40 fenced acres (electricity, well, septic) 10 miles outside of a small town (pop:3400) in AZ for $160K.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
The price of fuel (gasoline,diesel,propane) should be non contributory to folks who might be seriously considering this property...IMO anyways.

I mean, the value and the savings would far outweigh the price of same fuel in several lifetimes.

Now, if you can’t get propane delivered to the property, that may weigh in to the purchase decision. There are workarounds for that though, I would think. Smaller tanks, and set up a “tank farm” further out from buildings. You’d still have to deal with hauling them in yourself though.

Haul in a storage tank for diesel, and get a pickup with a bed tank and offload the bed tank into the storage tank every trip “to town”.

Simple, but a little complicated.

I’d be more concerned about rite of ways to always have access...no matter who buys what, builds what on surrounding properties.
Propane isn’t that expensive, and there is an awesome wood stove that will heat much of the house... with plenty of wood around for many years of heating. The propane companies will gladly lease or sell a gasoline tank and fill it regularly, as that’s a common thing up here to have for recreational vehicles.

That road likely can’t be graded, even sinking $10K into it. But really, that $10K would be better spent on a life four-wheel drive truck or SUV. If it’s got big snow tires, 4-low and a big enough engine, you wouldn’t need anything else to get in and out of that road in the winter or spring. I managed just fine in the summer and fall with my little all-wheel drive Ford Escape. Is just not something the average person/family would want to deal with if they had a daily commute or school age children.

I wouldn’t think the way this home is situated that there would be any problem with access. The driveway is off a county road, it’s just not a maintained one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michigal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Prepared

If that place is as far off the beaten track as it sounds I wouldn't mess with the road in winter. I'd invest in a tracked snow machine and just park the car or suv close to the main road. Snow machine down the long driveway and then switch to the regular auto. Not a terribly huge investment for someone willing to live that far out. Have a chainsaw in the back for downed trees and you should be set.

Propane also would not be a huge consideration to me. If you are living that far off the road you should be using wood to heat with anyway if you are a prepper or survivalist. A couple 100 lb tanks could be filled as backup if need be. Same with gasoline or diesel.

I agree with the others that there is a back story to this place. There is a similar place near me that is fairly secluded (not nearly as secluded as this though) and is a beautiful property that no one will buy once they know the whole story. 40 acre parcel with a nice log home, outbuildings, etc. Bought by a guy from South Africa to retire to. Great guy. Turns out the neighbor he shares part of a driveway with is a lunatic. And the lunatics son is a registered sex offender. Lunatic and son have bermed over his driveway to prevent anyone coming near their property. And they fenced off the rest of the areas this guy can get to his property through. Been this way for year. I guess for timid souls this is considered a problem. I can think of a few work arounds to convince others that this is not neighborly but the owner decided this was not his style and boogied a few years back. No takers since. Life is full of interesting surprises.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Survivor

A few years ago propane was pushing 5 dollars a gallon, it was crazy
Old 09-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Survivor

in this area a ten pulp cord load of hardwood wood can be had delivered for 900 dollars.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,399 Posts

I live on one of the last dirt roads in my county, about 1/2 mile from a rural paved road. They grade the road twice a year, and cut the ditches once, right before hurricane season. Within 2 weeks of the ditches being cut, we get a big thunderstorm or small hurricane and the ditches fill up with.......the road. After that, the road washes out until it is impossible, at which point they grade it again.

in order to gravel 2 miles of road, you need 9 yard loads of gravel approximately every 100 [email protected] roughly $500 per load. Not a small cost.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Survivor

300 for 10 yards is going rate here. Maybe a touch more there but should be close.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,012 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderandprimers View Post
If that place is as far off the beaten track as it sounds I wouldn't mess with the road in winter. I'd invest in a tracked snow machine and just park the car or suv close to the main road. Snow machine down the long driveway and then switch to the regular auto. Not a terribly huge investment for someone willing to live that far out. Have a chainsaw in the back for downed trees and you should be set.

Propane also would not be a huge consideration to me. If you are living that far off the road you should be using wood to heat with anyway if you are a prepper or survivalist. A couple 100 lb tanks could be filled as backup if need be. Same with gasoline or diesel.

I agree with the others that there is a back story to this place. There is a similar place near me that is fairly secluded (not nearly as secluded as this though) and is a beautiful property that no one will buy once they know the whole story. 40 acre parcel with a nice log home, outbuildings, etc. Bought by a guy from South Africa to retire to. Great guy. Turns out the neighbor he shares part of a driveway with is a lunatic. And the lunatics son is a registered sex offender. Lunatic and son have bermed over his driveway to prevent anyone coming near their property. And they fenced off the rest of the areas this guy can get to his property through. Been this way for year. I guess for timid souls this is considered a problem. I can think of a few work arounds to convince others that this is not neighborly but the owner decided this was not his style and boogied a few years back. No takers since. Life is full of interesting surprises.
Yah, that’s where having rite of way in writing comes in. No having to be “neighborly” about nothin on your own.

A call to the Sherrif and your attorney gets a lien put on the non “neighborly” fellows property until they rectify whatever it was they did. Plus damages.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

I don’t know about Michigan but in Texas you would buy a title policy and they would check out the title to be sure there on liens or other clouds on title so you be guaranteed you would get clean title. Then if a surprise appears, the title company would pay the legal fees to deal with it. In Texas that would not cost much.
You can buy a couple 1,000-gallon propane tanks and bury them and keep warm. Propane never goes bad like diesel does. Then pipe the gas to the generator with a transfer switch and the you would need to buy new appliances with propane and new hot water (but not instant hot water, a tank) make sure the septic uses field lines not electric pumps. Would go further and look into compost toilets and dig lines for the gray water.
Clear a acre for solar and have an old 5000 watt generator set with a tri-fuel conversion with points for a ‘plan B’ power setup and then start cutting wood for the winter.
Any bank would be selling a foreclose would not disclose any structural defects even if they know them – they would sell it in ‘as in condition.’
That looks the perfect spot for a pepper but not for us.

Last edited by robertmcw; 09-09-2018 at 05:58 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to robertmcw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,878 Times in 10,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcw View Post
I don’t know about Michigan but in Texas you would buy a title policy and they would check out the title to be sure there on liens or other clouds on title so you be guaranteed you would get clean title. Then if a surprise appears, the title company would pay the legal fees to deal with it. ...
Supposedly that is what they promise. I have never heard of any Title company actually doing so. They always have wording that allows them to weasel out of being responsible or sometimes they have gone out of business by the time a issue comes up.

Big scam Title insurance.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,303 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Yep, since I posted that, have reached out to the Listing agents... We'll see what happens, Might go up and have a looksee, at the very least... Already planning a drive across (..another.. Done it 2x this year.. +_+ ) CA > NY for one of our jobs, soon, so.. We'll see.. And ya, Hubbard Lake is pretty much right there...

..Wasn't in the 'plans' to consider a move to MI, since we've already Got 'BOL' land up in NorCal, but... Sometimes, some of Life's 'Best Detours'... are those unplanned... (kids, pets, etc..) We shall see..

jd
How did things work out on this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 PM
SoJer

Thanked 2,713 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
How did things work out on this?
...Bah, didn't end up having the time on That 'run' to scoot up to the place, but.. Do have other (gawd.. can't believe I'm sayin this..) X-countries w/in the next 3-4 months (been 5x, clear-across the US.. CA > NY > 'Southern states', ie: PA, GA, (Naples, FL, being the furthest jaunt..) etc, then Aaaaaall the way back Home..since Last Dec, and, No, Not a 'professional trucker'.. It just worked out that for the Projects / timing / Flight-costs, etc, that Driving (vs Air / shipping..) worked out better...

..And, actually, I've always enjoyed the Drive / seeing the Country again, and all.. just not so much the 'shotgun version' (ie: 2 weeks ago, drove CA > Houston - left Friday, 2pm, and we were Back home, on Tues am... Had to break out the Jack Daniels after That one..

...Anyhoo, Will get up there, at some point.. Hope it's still 'there' to check out.. Would Love to GTHO of here (though we'd be Loathe to abandon our Awesome 'BOL' land, way-up NorCal.. So beautiful / quite defensible / solid Natural Spring / plenty of Rain / snow, etc.. Great location, but.. If we end up 'stuck in the muck', down here, well.. Doesn't do us much good, so..

..As the saying goes 'Sometimes "Good Luck" is just knowing when to Jump'... ain't That the Truth.. *sigh* Congrats on yer guys 'Imminent Exodus'..

jd
The Following User Says Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post: