An incredible wilderness compound... that the bank can't get rid of! - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
STRAITS RED chapters 27-28 NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 1 04-29-2018 12:57 PM
A couple of questions about the battery bank I've built... hlsjunk DIY - Do It Yourself 32 01-07-2017 09:58 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Potawami II Potawami II is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,314
Thanks: 14,598
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
Yep, since I posted that, have reached out to the Listing agents... We'll see what happens, Might go up and have a looksee, at the very least... Already planning a drive across (..another.. Done it 2x this year.. +_+ ) CA > NY for one of our jobs, soon, so.. We'll see.. And ya, Hubbard Lake is pretty much right there...

..Wasn't in the 'plans' to consider a move to MI, since we've already Got 'BOL' land up in NorCal, but... Sometimes, some of Life's 'Best Detours'... are those unplanned... (kids, pets, etc..) We shall see..

jd
Double tap. Sorry net is not good here unless you go with T-1. may be better where the property is though since it's more populated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM
Potawami II Potawami II is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,314
Thanks: 14,598
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default

If you do it welcome to the general neighborhood. I'm not giving you my address but I haven't looked that one up either. Hit the MI subforum and see the sales prices that a store about 45 miles from there sells for. Great store and if you have an average US income you will be happy in the area. Gas is high though running 2.95-3.05 week to week since it's tourist season but although I could be wrong I think that is well within what you pay in Cali. Just remember buy bulk on sale because local stores will rape you on everything when there are no sales.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Aussie1's Avatar
Aussie1 Aussie1 is offline
Prepare Adapt andOvercome
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 535
Thanks: 2,921
Thanked 719 Times in 359 Posts
Default

where is this property, what money are they asking for it and what size is it? I am not interested in buying but it would be helpful to know what the thread is about. No need to be specific just roughly if you are worried someone else will buy it.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
hawk55732's Avatar
hawk55732 hawk55732 is online now
The Hawks Nest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,059
Thanks: 12,436
Thanked 22,517 Times in 8,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post
where is this property, what money are they asking for it and what size is it? I am not interested in buying but it would be helpful to know what the thread is about. No need to be specific just roughly if you are worried someone else will buy it.
The size, the price are stated in the OP.
__________________
Father, husband, son, Marine.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 11:34 PM
SoJ_51's Avatar
SoJ_51 SoJ_51 is offline
SoJer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 1,125
Thanks: 26,081
Thanked 2,713 Times in 901 Posts
Default

@ aussie... Forum-bot much?

@ Potwami, thanks.. Curious, what's Diesel like up in the area? That will be more relevant for Us, fuel-wise.. And.. Propane..

Thanks, cheers..
jd
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Potawami II Potawami II is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,314
Thanks: 14,598
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
@ aussie... Forum-bot much?

@ Potwami, thanks.. Curious, what's Diesel like up in the area? That will be more relevant for Us, fuel-wise.. And.. Propane..

Thanks, cheers..
jd
10-20 cents more a gallon usually. Not sure on propane since it really varies by time of year and sometimes gets jacked during a cold spell. It also varies by size of tank and since I heat with wood I have a small tank and pay a bit of a premium.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 07:07 PM
randyt's Avatar
randyt randyt is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tipp of the mitt
Posts: 2,142
Thanks: 3,985
Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,307 Posts
Default

I heard a company called propane plus is selling gas for $1.39 a gallon at this time. They will lock in the price for a period of time.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: State of Jefferson XX
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 4,203
Thanked 2,012 Times in 929 Posts
Default

The price of fuel (gasoline,diesel,propane) should be non contributory to folks who might be seriously considering this property...IMO anyways.

I mean, the value and the savings would far outweigh the price of same fuel in several lifetimes.

Now, if you can’t get propane delivered to the property, that may weigh in to the purchase decision. There are workarounds for that though, I would think. Smaller tanks, and set up a “tank farm” further out from buildings. You’d still have to deal with hauling them in yourself though.

Haul in a storage tank for diesel, and get a pickup with a bed tank and offload the bed tank into the storage tank every trip “to town”.

Simple, but a little complicated.

I’d be more concerned about rite of ways to always have access...no matter who buys what, builds what on surrounding properties.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is online now
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St John's, AZ
Posts: 5,438
Thanks: 6,745
Thanked 9,303 Times in 3,406 Posts
Default

Had I known about this place a year ago I would have considered it. We ended up buying a 1452sqft log cabin on 40 fenced acres (electricity, well, septic) 10 miles outside of a small town (pop:3400) in AZ for $160K.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Michigal's Avatar
Michigal Michigal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 137
Thanks: 99
Thanked 179 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
The price of fuel (gasoline,diesel,propane) should be non contributory to folks who might be seriously considering this property...IMO anyways.

I mean, the value and the savings would far outweigh the price of same fuel in several lifetimes.

Now, if you can’t get propane delivered to the property, that may weigh in to the purchase decision. There are workarounds for that though, I would think. Smaller tanks, and set up a “tank farm” further out from buildings. You’d still have to deal with hauling them in yourself though.

Haul in a storage tank for diesel, and get a pickup with a bed tank and offload the bed tank into the storage tank every trip “to town”.

Simple, but a little complicated.

I’d be more concerned about rite of ways to always have access...no matter who buys what, builds what on surrounding properties.
Propane isn’t that expensive, and there is an awesome wood stove that will heat much of the house... with plenty of wood around for many years of heating. The propane companies will gladly lease or sell a gasoline tank and fill it regularly, as that’s a common thing up here to have for recreational vehicles.

That road likely can’t be graded, even sinking $10K into it. But really, that $10K would be better spent on a life four-wheel drive truck or SUV. If it’s got big snow tires, 4-low and a big enough engine, you wouldn’t need anything else to get in and out of that road in the winter or spring. I managed just fine in the summer and fall with my little all-wheel drive Ford Escape. Is just not something the average person/family would want to deal with if they had a daily commute or school age children.

I wouldn’t think the way this home is situated that there would be any problem with access. The driveway is off a county road, it’s just not a maintained one.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michigal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 10:02 PM
powderandprimers powderandprimers is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 17,317
Thanked 617 Times in 188 Posts
Default

If that place is as far off the beaten track as it sounds I wouldn't mess with the road in winter. I'd invest in a tracked snow machine and just park the car or suv close to the main road. Snow machine down the long driveway and then switch to the regular auto. Not a terribly huge investment for someone willing to live that far out. Have a chainsaw in the back for downed trees and you should be set.

Propane also would not be a huge consideration to me. If you are living that far off the road you should be using wood to heat with anyway if you are a prepper or survivalist. A couple 100 lb tanks could be filled as backup if need be. Same with gasoline or diesel.

I agree with the others that there is a back story to this place. There is a similar place near me that is fairly secluded (not nearly as secluded as this though) and is a beautiful property that no one will buy once they know the whole story. 40 acre parcel with a nice log home, outbuildings, etc. Bought by a guy from South Africa to retire to. Great guy. Turns out the neighbor he shares part of a driveway with is a lunatic. And the lunatics son is a registered sex offender. Lunatic and son have bermed over his driveway to prevent anyone coming near their property. And they fenced off the rest of the areas this guy can get to his property through. Been this way for year. I guess for timid souls this is considered a problem. I can think of a few work arounds to convince others that this is not neighborly but the owner decided this was not his style and boogied a few years back. No takers since. Life is full of interesting surprises.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM
randyt's Avatar
randyt randyt is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tipp of the mitt
Posts: 2,142
Thanks: 3,985
Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,307 Posts
Default

A few years ago propane was pushing 5 dollars a gallon, it was crazy
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:06 AM
randyt's Avatar
randyt randyt is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: tipp of the mitt
Posts: 2,142
Thanks: 3,985
Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,307 Posts
Default

in this area a ten pulp cord load of hardwood wood can be had delivered for 900 dollars.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 AM
wldwsel wldwsel is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,206
Thanks: 619
Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,399 Posts
Default

I live on one of the last dirt roads in my county, about 1/2 mile from a rural paved road. They grade the road twice a year, and cut the ditches once, right before hurricane season. Within 2 weeks of the ditches being cut, we get a big thunderstorm or small hurricane and the ditches fill up with.......the road. After that, the road washes out until it is impossible, at which point they grade it again.


in order to gravel 2 miles of road, you need 9 yard loads of gravel approximately every 100 [email protected] roughly $500 per load. Not a small cost.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Potawami II Potawami II is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,314
Thanks: 14,598
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default

300 for 10 yards is going rate here. Maybe a touch more there but should be close.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Camelfilter's Avatar
Camelfilter Camelfilter is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: State of Jefferson XX
Posts: 1,374
Thanks: 4,203
Thanked 2,012 Times in 929 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderandprimers View Post
If that place is as far off the beaten track as it sounds I wouldn't mess with the road in winter. I'd invest in a tracked snow machine and just park the car or suv close to the main road. Snow machine down the long driveway and then switch to the regular auto. Not a terribly huge investment for someone willing to live that far out. Have a chainsaw in the back for downed trees and you should be set.

Propane also would not be a huge consideration to me. If you are living that far off the road you should be using wood to heat with anyway if you are a prepper or survivalist. A couple 100 lb tanks could be filled as backup if need be. Same with gasoline or diesel.

I agree with the others that there is a back story to this place. There is a similar place near me that is fairly secluded (not nearly as secluded as this though) and is a beautiful property that no one will buy once they know the whole story. 40 acre parcel with a nice log home, outbuildings, etc. Bought by a guy from South Africa to retire to. Great guy. Turns out the neighbor he shares part of a driveway with is a lunatic. And the lunatics son is a registered sex offender. Lunatic and son have bermed over his driveway to prevent anyone coming near their property. And they fenced off the rest of the areas this guy can get to his property through. Been this way for year. I guess for timid souls this is considered a problem. I can think of a few work arounds to convince others that this is not neighborly but the owner decided this was not his style and boogied a few years back. No takers since. Life is full of interesting surprises.
Yah, that’s where having rite of way in writing comes in. No having to be “neighborly” about nothin on your own.

A call to the Sherrif and your attorney gets a lien put on the non “neighborly” fellows property until they rectify whatever it was they did. Plus damages.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 AM
robertmcw robertmcw is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Free State of Texas
Posts: 64
Thanks: 6
Thanked 72 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I don’t know about Michigan but in Texas you would buy a title policy and they would check out the title to be sure there on liens or other clouds on title so you be guaranteed you would get clean title. Then if a surprise appears, the title company would pay the legal fees to deal with it. In Texas that would not cost much.
You can buy a couple 1,000-gallon propane tanks and bury them and keep warm. Propane never goes bad like diesel does. Then pipe the gas to the generator with a transfer switch and the you would need to buy new appliances with propane and new hot water (but not instant hot water, a tank) make sure the septic uses field lines not electric pumps. Would go further and look into compost toilets and dig lines for the gray water.
Clear a acre for solar and have an old 5000 watt generator set with a tri-fuel conversion with points for a ‘plan B’ power setup and then start cutting wood for the winter.
Any bank would be selling a foreclose would not disclose any structural defects even if they know them – they would sell it in ‘as in condition.’
That looks the perfect spot for a pepper but not for us.

Last edited by robertmcw; 09-09-2018 at 05:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to robertmcw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM
MattB4's Avatar
MattB4 MattB4 is offline
Don't get me started
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15,512
Thanks: 21,669
Thanked 29,878 Times in 10,514 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcw View Post
I don’t know about Michigan but in Texas you would buy a title policy and they would check out the title to be sure there on liens or other clouds on title so you be guaranteed you would get clean title. Then if a surprise appears, the title company would pay the legal fees to deal with it. ...
Supposedly that is what they promise. I have never heard of any Title company actually doing so. They always have wording that allows them to weasel out of being responsible or sometimes they have gone out of business by the time a issue comes up.

Big scam Title insurance.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Steve_In_29 Steve_In_29 is online now
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St John's, AZ
Posts: 5,438
Thanks: 6,745
Thanked 9,303 Times in 3,406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
Yep, since I posted that, have reached out to the Listing agents... We'll see what happens, Might go up and have a looksee, at the very least... Already planning a drive across (..another.. Done it 2x this year.. +_+ ) CA > NY for one of our jobs, soon, so.. We'll see.. And ya, Hubbard Lake is pretty much right there...

..Wasn't in the 'plans' to consider a move to MI, since we've already Got 'BOL' land up in NorCal, but... Sometimes, some of Life's 'Best Detours'... are those unplanned... (kids, pets, etc..) We shall see..

jd
How did things work out on this?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 PM
SoJ_51's Avatar
SoJ_51 SoJ_51 is offline
SoJer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 1,125
Thanks: 26,081
Thanked 2,713 Times in 901 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
How did things work out on this?
...Bah, didn't end up having the time on That 'run' to scoot up to the place, but.. Do have other (gawd.. can't believe I'm sayin this..) X-countries w/in the next 3-4 months (been 5x, clear-across the US.. CA > NY > 'Southern states', ie: PA, GA, (Naples, FL, being the furthest jaunt..) etc, then Aaaaaall the way back Home..since Last Dec, and, No, Not a 'professional trucker'.. It just worked out that for the Projects / timing / Flight-costs, etc, that Driving (vs Air / shipping..) worked out better...

..And, actually, I've always enjoyed the Drive / seeing the Country again, and all.. just not so much the 'shotgun version' (ie: 2 weeks ago, drove CA > Houston - left Friday, 2pm, and we were Back home, on Tues am... Had to break out the Jack Daniels after That one..

...Anyhoo, Will get up there, at some point.. Hope it's still 'there' to check out.. Would Love to GTHO of here (though we'd be Loathe to abandon our Awesome 'BOL' land, way-up NorCal.. So beautiful / quite defensible / solid Natural Spring / plenty of Rain / snow, etc.. Great location, but.. If we end up 'stuck in the muck', down here, well.. Doesn't do us much good, so..

..As the saying goes 'Sometimes "Good Luck" is just knowing when to Jump'... ain't That the Truth.. *sigh* Congrats on yer guys 'Imminent Exodus'..

jd
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bug out, compound, for sale, homestead, michigan, real estate



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net