What Would Chickens Do Without People? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Societies' collapse. Some of the signs. soocom1 General Discussion 35 08-19-2018 11:23 AM
Bartering McGuire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 06-06-2018 08:00 AM
tree stands and pillbox davej1138 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-10-2017 03:17 AM

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,379 Times in 9,644 Posts

Advertise Here

I currently have several bantam roosters that fly well and can forage their own food in summer. My bantams still roost in their cage, which protects them from the owls.

But once the large commercial farms collapse, and the trees and heavy brush takes over farm country, the population of coyotes, foxes, hawks, owls, and bobcats will explode. Then it's going to be good bye to chickens and small livestock.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,959 Posts

I put 20 banties in with my sheep. Thinking they would naturalize in the pen. they did not make it a month. My guinea hens that get out of the goat pens don't make it. Guineas are terrible mothers anyway. There may be some breeds of chickens that make it, I had some phenix that nested high in the trees and did will in the orchard.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,878 Times in 5,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
In Hawaii I wonder how anyone could ever go hungry. Wild chickens are everywhere.....

On Kauai they are more prolific than squirrels are in my part of the world, and we have lots of squirrels.

They are technically protected, as are the eggs but the beachcombers have been known to be less than observant of these restrictions.

I was told that they were the result of a hurricane on 9/11/1992. Iniki, the worst to ever hit the Island of Kauai.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-PICT2690.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	275902   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-PICT2691.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	275904  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,545 Times in 5,628 Posts

I'd get a chicken catcher and grab those chickens. Protected. They're chickens.

Chicken Catcher

We would make them out of scrap wire or heavy coat hangers if we need more of them.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,715 Times in 1,642 Posts

No people = no roads= nothing for chickens to cross = bored chickens = more chicken criminals

It'll be mayham!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaffeineBuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 513 Posts

Re: Guineas -- guineas are dumber than a box of rocks and basically spend their lives looking for ways to commit suicide. I had one get between a fence and some bales of hay and then die because there wasn't room to turn around and it couldn't figure out how to back up. I've had them fly over a fence, then die because they couldn't figure out they could fly back over the same fence and the water was on the wrong side. I had one die because I moved the water from one side of a gate to the other, and they couldn't figure out how to go through the (open) gate to get a drink. I've had them die because they hit an electric fence, and it spooked them and they decided to run for home, but the electric fence was in the way, so in a blind panic they just kept bouncing off the fence until dead. Mind you, they fly quite well for barnyard poultry and I've seen them cover a hundred yards at a time.

I've had them die by flying into windows, by attacking their own reflections until they died of heat stroke, by spooking and flying into the pen fence when somebody walked into the pen, by trying to hatch eggs in a shed that got too hot, etc. Had one drop dead when I caught it and picked it up, out of sheer panic. Had another struggle so much it dislocated a hip and I had to put it down (and I wasn't holding onto the leg).

They're also not very good mothers and the babies are fragile.

(I like guineas for pest control but expect to either have to hatch out new ones, or buy keets every year or two to replace the inevitable losses. They do an excellent job of bug control!)

Chickens, now -- with the right stock (game fowl come to mind) and a source of water and some cover they'll survive just fine.