Home Media Center (not server) + browser - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1010 06-26-2019 08:47 PM
Poll: Has the media driven our nation to the brink of revolt? Fillzee Political News and Discussion 133 06-20-2017 07:49 PM
Media Fostering Domestic Terrorism kev Manmade and Natural Disasters 41 01-23-2017 01:42 PM
Using Holidays as a Distraction, Obama Just Signed NDAA “Propaganda” Provision to Des john1969 General Discussion 26 12-30-2016 02:34 PM

Old 06-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Rider

Thanked 7,578 Times in 1,267 Posts
Default Home Media Center (not server) + browser

Advertise Here

I've been using an older laptop that's permanently setup and connected to our home entertainment system via HDMI to play ripped movies, MP3s, browse the net, or watch Youtube, etc.

The laptop just died and not worth repairing. Since I've got to find an alternate solution anyway, I'm thinking of something running Plex or similar media center software and perhaps on a Rasperry Pi or other SBC like the ODROID XU4. I'm reasonably Linux fluent but my wife is not at all but she can find and launch the browser on my Mint laptop -so that and running Plex is all she'd need to do.

This device won't be acting as a server to other devices internally or externally so no transcoding issues. It will connect to my home network via WiFi but only for basic internet browsing. All local media will be on an external HD via USB.

I'm new to Plex and haven't messed with a SBC in years and years so I feel like this is a stupid question one of my computer illiterate friends would be asking me but - is there any reason that Plex/OSMC/OpenELEC or similar and a browser won't co-exist on a SBC? And will a Pi3 have enough power to do this w/o transcoding or buffering?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 06:52 AM

I cant speak for plex, but I have a kodi install running on a pi3. It gets its media over my home network from my freenas server. Performance is good, although I did have to tweak the buffer settings on the pi to get there. Getting it up and running with some linux experience should be a cakewalk for you.

The only caveats I can think of:
1) you probably won't be able to run a flashy skin...not enough hardware on the pi
2) I have had audio/video syncing issues with Bluetooth headphones. This really only seems to happen when I walk out of the room with them on though, so it's mostly user error
3) use the kodi app on a phone instead of a flaky usb remote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:16 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,701 Times in 4,968 Posts

I have several NAS drives that are holding over a thousand movies, series etc, drives are connected to router using ethernet cables then I have android boxes running Kodi on each TV and stream wireless to any TV. I've had this set-up running for years with no problems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Trapper

I have a couple of drives attached to my wifi router via USB. I can watch the movies/TV programs stored on them with VLC media player on any of my computers, tablets or phones.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
is there any reason that Plex/OSMC/OpenELEC or similar and a browser won't co-exist on a SBC? And will a Pi3 have enough power to do this w/o transcoding or buffering?
It works just like that on windows, that's all I know.
However when I added subtitles to a 4K movie, an i3 was not powerful enough to transcode it in real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I have a couple of drives attached to my wifi router via USB. I can watch the movies/TV programs stored on them with VLC media player on any of my computers, tablets or phones.
That works pretty much always. Kodi and Plex provide a netflix-like web browser interface which is much nicer to look at than just a directory listing.

I have a HP Microserver G8, it is a full featured server but same size as a regular 4 drive NAS box. It has room for 4 internal 3.5" drives and one 2.5" for OS. One of the things I've done with it is a plex server. My home internet is so fast (fiber) that I can watch full quality movies anywhere, not just at home.

I do access most of the movies and tv-series I have the first time with BS Player because I like it's interface more than VLC. If the movie is good enough that I want to see it a second time I'll transfer it into my Plex system. ...which kind of is the reason for lack of romcoms in my library :D
Old 08-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 46,818 Times in 10,898 Posts

I went the Android TV box route. Does up to 4k, Kodi, wifi, browser, file system, etc, etc. I have 4 Tbytes of ripped movies and music. Only connected to the main TV though.

I used MakeMKV to rip my purchased Blurays which are now stored in boxes. Typical Bluray movie size is about 25 Gbytes. MKV allows you to turn subtitles on or off, where MP4 it's burned in one way or the other.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 PM

Late to the party on this, but so was everyone else it seems.

I run Kodi inside a full install of Raspbian on a rPi3 without issue. The only thing you might run into is having to dedicate more of the memory to the GPU (pretty easy to do) if your video seems choppy (I originally ran into the problem with live streaming video but allocating more memory fixed it).

I can watch 1080p from my storage drive while simultaneously downloading on a maxed out 30Mbps connection without any issues with that setup.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,495 Times in 5,592 Posts

I ran a media computer for years, and I tried plex and hated it. What a PITA and way more trouble than it's worth.

Also, a thing about linux based systems (like, on a Raspberry Pi) is that, last time I looked into it (speaking as a former linux user) you can't play content with DRM. What this means is that you can't play netflix, Amazon Prime videos, etc. IMHO a media computer should be able to play that kind of stuff. Because, WTF? IDK if that's changed, so look into it.

HOWEVER, if you are going with a linux based system, you can't beat XBMC, or as they call it now, KODI. And I don't know whether they still have the DRM limitation. But it is as good as it gets.

Plex is more for if you want to stream videos from your home server to other computers over a network.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Also, a thing about linux based systems (like, on a Raspberry Pi) is that, last time I looked into it (speaking as a former linux user) you can't play content with DRM. What this means is that you can't play netflix, Amazon Prime videos, etc. IMHO a media computer should be able to play that kind of stuff. Because, WTF? IDK if that's changed, so look into it.
Just use Chrome on Linux. It plays all the DRM content just fine. I'm watching Amazon Prime on my Linux computer right now. It's also fine with YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, and Hulu.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,815 Times in 903 Posts

We went the Android TV box route as well. Currently using a Leelbox at home and the BOL.

Netflix, Amazon Video, Kodi, etc. Works very well and plenty of videos on how to set up Kodi to work well.

Ran a dedicated media pc for ages. Took some convincing to get the better half to go to something new and now she wouldn't go back.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Rider

Thanked 7,578 Times in 1,267 Posts

Thanks guys. Related question, I've been experimenting with Plex vs Kodi. One of the things that I find frustrating about Kodi is that all of my media are in sub-divided folders. For example "D:/movies/john_wayne/ then a separate folder for each John Wayne movie, go up a directory level change to Jimmy Stewart, then a sub-folder for each Jimmy Stewart movie, etc.

From what I'm seeing in Kodi it wants all files to be in the same folder whereas Plex can parse the subfolders. I'm not about to re-organize 6TB of media files - can Kodi parse the folders?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Prepared

Any reason not to setup another laptop? Are you just looking to try something different?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Related question, I've been experimenting with Plex vs Kodi. One of the things that I find frustrating about Kodi is that all of my media are in sub-divided folders. For example "D:/movies/john_wayne/ then a separate folder for each John Wayne movie, go up a directory level change to Jimmy Stewart, then a sub-folder for each Jimmy Stewart movie, etc.

From what I'm seeing in Kodi it wants all files to be in the same folder whereas Plex can parse the subfolders. I'm not about to re-organize 6TB of media files - can Kodi parse the folders?
It's been a minute since I set it up, but KODI has an option to look deeper into file structure.....I want to say it's a check box when you add media......recursive scanning or something along those lines.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:49 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,495 Times in 5,592 Posts

Quote:

I never had separate folders for every actor? OMG that would have been a PITA. What on earth do you do if a movie has both John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart?

I'm FAIRLY sure kodi won't mess with your folders if you tell it not to. But personally, I'd ditch that setup and just have all the movies in one directory. And then use Kodi to search for movies with "John Wayne" if you're in a "Duke" mood. Much more streamlined and easy. But I don't think Kodi will mess with your file structure if you don't want it to.

BTW in Kodi you can also browse by category, release year, and other things. Much nicer than browsing through your actual folders.

Last edited by sarco2000; 08-13-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Prepared

I use Universal Media Server. Easy to set-up.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,270 Times in 3,819 Posts

i'd look at the Synology brand of NAS's..

I use em alot, affordable and versatile..

get a coupe of drives, raid 1, dual nics, bond em together and call it a day...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS718+