Kindle books a scam - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old guy just ordered a Kindle book reader. MattB4 The Tech Zone 37 02-15-2018 08:00 PM
Building A Prepping Library AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 5 02-01-2018 07:19 PM
Where to find FREE online books? grandma Books, Movies & Stories 17 09-10-2017 11:12 AM
"Adventures Of Little Baron Trump" Scifi books from 1890s. Re3UBCS General Discussion 18 07-24-2017 08:43 PM

Old 03-11-2018, 05:58 AM

Advertise Here

If you don't control your data, then you really don't 'have' it. There are instances where cloud services like Amazon have deleted purchased content.

Use Calibre e-book management software. It's free and relatively straight forward. You can move books from your device to your calibre library, and the convert it for use on another device. It won't convert FROM pdf, but most others work well. You can get the portable version, and have your entire library on a thumb drive (or multiple).

Only issue I've run into is that it doesn't like the new amazon KFX format. I have an old gen4 kindle, and a nook simple touch, so it doesn't affect me.

Calibre website - https://calibre-ebook.com/
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 13,720 Times in 2,903 Posts

Don't forget that Kindle books are designed to run on Kindle devices. The ability to run them on other devices is an add-on and limited to the features of the add-on device. You don't have any of these issues if you use a Kindle device. If you have Internet access, a Kindle device syncs up with your Kindle account when you power it up, but everything is still there when you have no Internet access.

Personally, I would never use a smartphone as a Kindle reader. It's not the same.

Calibre is a wonderful freebie tool for converting ebook formats. I have a large library of over 80,000 public domain books in various formats. Calibre easily converts them and installs them on my Kindle reader.

capitalGGeek, the new version of Calibre supports the KFX format.

Calibre eBook Converter Now Has Support for the New KFX Format from Amazon
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBI View Post

I'd like to be able to say that calms some of my paranoia towards Amazon, but considering the aloof way in which they've remotely tampered with Kindle owner's devices in the past, I'm still a bit sketchy about them as a company.
Being paranoid about huge corporations like Amazon, google, microsoft etc. is a good way to be. None of them are working in the interest of the people. I retired as a lead forensic investigator for a State/Local/Federal high tech crimes taskforce about 10 years ago. I was preaching about the evils of google, facebook and the others back then. Oh, and the NSA.

We went as far as to add invisible tags to our emails that would trigger the NSA and FBIs Carnivore project just for grins.