Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCIS Season 14 - Beginning of the End Batko10 Books, Movies & Stories 5 12-19-2017 09:54 AM
Deciding between a hammer drill vs. a demolition hammer? zuren DIY - Do It Yourself 10 08-31-2017 08:29 PM

View Poll Results: Cast your vote for your favorite Season 1 Survivor
Aerindel (Team Heavy's Haulers) 4 11.43%
Harbinger1972 (Team Chaos) 1 2.86%
Martial Lawyer (Team Heavy's Haulers) 7 20.00%
Porkchop Samich (Team Chaos) 2 5.71%
Alaska99835 (Team Chaos) 2 5.71%
WoodHavenHunter (Team Heavy's Haulers) 1 2.86%
Lugh MacArawn (Team Heavy's Haulers) 2 5.71%
RaccoonTrapper2016 (Team Chaos) 4 11.43%
BadgeBunny (Team Chaos) 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,190 Posts
Default SurvivalistBoard Survivor Game (Season 1: Lucy's Hammer)

Advertise Here

SurvivalistBoard Survivor Game (Season 1: Lucy's Hammer) is set to begin!!!

Lucy’s Hammer, a giant asteroid, has just impacted the planet bringing with it an end to life as we know it here on earth. You’re among a group of people struggling to survive the ordeal, and establish a life that can keep you safe, secure, and fed in the coming days, weeks, and years of uncertainty. Do you have what it takes?

Game Play will be similar to the Survivor TV show in that players will participate in challenges (hosted and played out on this thread), and be subject to the same inter-tribal politics in order to become the ultimate survivor.

REAL PRIZES FOR THE WINNER!
The winner of this season’s game will receive a prize package of fun and useful prepper barter items. I estimate the total value of the prize to be around $300.

Stay tuned for a separate posting outlining the prize package the winner of this game will receive. There should be something for everyone.

Call for Players:

We’ll need between 16-20 players for this game. Sign up right away and let’s get this thing going..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Player Criteria:
* Players have to be American Citizens and living in the Continental US. Sorry, but members who aren’t active within the North American Time Zones tend to cause lags in the game-play making it less enjoyable for everyone (and would put international players at an unfair disadvantage for some of the time-sensitive challenges).Also, this is related to the prize and I don’t want the heartburn and potential issues shipping outside of the country. It’s nothing personal.

(this has been edited to include Canadians, since we share common time zones, and customs is not that big a problem with shipping the prize out)

* Players should be active SB members that regularly visit the forum and are willing and able to check in and participate in the game on a very regular basis.Time Sensitive or real-time Game Challenges or activities will be posted around 9PM Eastern Time (8PM Central, 7PM Mountain/6PM Pacific). Not all contests are time sensitive/real-time events (and there will be advanced notice), but players able to participate in these events will have an advantage in the big picture. The game is likely to last several weeks, but players will be allowed to choose another SB member to stand in for them during times that they might be away from their access for extended periods. Specific rules will follow, but primary among them is that the game involves players meeting a series of deadlines (challenges, votes, etc.) For each deadline a player misses they will receive a strike, and after 3 strikes they will be automatically eliminated from the game. If you choose to play, please be someone who will be active and keep up with the game play.

* Players will need to understand how to use Private Messaging and PM’s will be a large part of the game play. Players should understand how to use the site, for example finding and searching the posts of other members via their profile page, saving members in their friend list, PMing multiple members at once, joining groups, etc.

* Players should have a digital camera/smart phone and an image hosting account and be able to post photos here on the forum without too much angst or delay.

If this sounds like you, send in your applications right away! The first Season of this game will include 16- 20 players. Interested members, please send me the following information via Private Message (PM) Applications are not to be posted on the thread (but please post in the thread “I’M APPLIED” indicating that that you’ve sent your PM-Application in!) Please spread the word and let all your SB friends know about this (and potentially start the game with a secret alliance).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you’re interested in playing please Private Message me the following information. (this info may or may not be used in future gameplay challenges, If you are so concerned with OPSEC that you’d rather not share it, it’s OK to create a fictional persona)

*Name: (First name only or use your middle If that bothers you)
*Favorite Color:
*Favorite Book:
*Favorite Movie:
*Favorite Quote:
*Lucky number:
*Favorite season of the year
*Number of siblings:
*bug in or bug out prepper style:
* Favorite SB member:

Choose One of each of the following:
Morning person or night owl
Cleanfreak or messy
Life of the Party or tea-totaller
Organizer or procrastinator
Chatty or Quiet
Car or truck
Sweet or savory
Dog person or cat person
Christmas or Holloween
Right or left handed
Military veteran or no
Gold bug, or non beleiver
Bugout or Bugin

*Sell me on why you should be chosen to play- and please indicate any problems you might have keeping up with the game play. I’ll be seeking members who I can count on to be active and keep up with the gamer play in order to keep it flowing and make it more enjoyable for everyone. Fans of the TV show Survivor will appreciate the gameplay and also have some insight into the social aspects of this game.

Last edited by KeyserSoSay; 01-24-2018 at 01:25 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 02:25 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

SurvivalistBoard Survivor (Season 1: Lucy’s Hammer):

Prize Package!

There can be only one.. All of the following prizes will be awarded to the ultimate winner of the game. I have selected a wide variety of items from my personal preps that are both useful and that would make for good barter items. I’ve tried to include items with a wide range of applications, so there should be something in here that everyone can appreciate.

Camo backpack: (no picture yet):

Brand new, cheap, but well-built camouflage backpack. Never know when this might come in handy.

Kitchen/laundry Kit:

I built about a dozen of these a while back. It’s effectively everything you might need to wash dishes and laundry of the SHTF, even if you’re on the move. There is a collapsible silicon/plastic tub, a rubber textured washboard, three laundry brushes, a dozen compressed sponges, 4 mesh laundry (or dish drying) bags, 8 bleach pellets (makes 8 gallons of bleach), a copper pot scrubber, some dish rags, an abrasive dish scrubber, a block of Fels-Naptha laundry soap, and a block of Zote Pink, dish soap. This compressed into a nice tight 15”X12”x4" block using a 15” vacuum seal bag.

4x personal hygiene Kits:

I built 100 of these a while back. These are personal health and hygiene kits that fit in your backpack or even your pocket. Everything you need to clean and maintain your personal hygiene if SHTF. I won’t get into the many valuable items included in these packs, I’ve already done that in this thread- go check these out there.
(photos are reposted on page two of the thread after the Photobucket debacle)

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=727041&page=2

Caffeine tablets:

I wanted to include something from my med/ABX preps, but decided that was probably a bad idea. So I threw in a package of caffeine tablets, as a compromise.

Universal Boot laces:

Not a costly item, but I keep a bunch of them. These are about the best shoelaces I’ve ever found, and they are long enough to fit any boots or shoes you’ve got (and can be cut down to size)

Ceramic bucket H2O filter kit:

Most here know all about these, but I’ve included some examinational diagrams in the picture. I bought a bunch of these and sealed them with my vacuum sealer. It’s not a name brand, but these should be very near the top of any preppers list of essentials, and you can’t have too many of something that would be as valuable as this during SHTF.

LED lantern:

Just a cheapy LED lantern someone gave me for Christmas. It’s been stored and never used.

Magnesium Firestarter:

Bonus prize, I have a bunch of these like everyone else.

USGI OKAY 30rnd AR magazine:

I wanted an item or two from my weapons preps, and ammo seemed like a bad idea for a game prize. This magazine fit the bill perfectly. If you’re not into guns, this could at least provide some barter value if SHTF.

Single-Point tactical sling:

Fair warning, this is not a high quality item, but brand new. With it though, you’ll never be without a viable sling that can be used for just about any weapon with very little modification.

Reusable silica desiccant pack (50g):

For those who don’t know, this silica gel turns color (from blue to yellow) when it has absorbed moisture. This lets you know when your preserved items have been exposed to moisture you might not see. These can be baked in the oven (or even a microwave), regenerating it’s use as a dessicant for future use. They will turn blue again when the water is baked out. This is a 50g packet, which can desiccate 8 cubic feet, or about the space of a small gun case. I use them in caches or ammo can sized containers.

Stanley Flask:

I keep a few of these in my preps because it serves as a small dry box for tinder, paperwork, or meds, but can also be used as a flask. This one is brand new, but not boxed.

Chinese Tea Cakes:

I’ve been on several threads here exalting my love for Chinese tea bricks (and these smaller tea cakes). If you don’t know, these tea bricks can store for centuries and were even used as a form of money by the ancient Chinese. Even if you don’t like tea, these would make a valuable SHTF barter item if stored well.

1 OZT fine silver:

This 1 OZT nugget was made from 100% APMEX fine silver shot. .999 fine silver. It’s stamped accordingly. It’s worth $17 today. It was worth $48 after the financial crash in 2008. It’s likely to be worth at least 10 times it’s current value in a true SHTF environment.

Solar/Crank/waterproof flashlight:

I have vetted and tested these lights and have a dozen or so of them and keep adding more. I think this is the perfect SHTF or prepper flashlight and one just like this brand new one has saved my butt several times. The solar charger works better than you’d think if you give it light. The hand crank will power it even many years after the rechargeable battery is dead and gone (although the ones I purchased a decade ago still function perfectly as intended). These are also submersible.

USGI personal first aid kit:

I’m not sure if this is a true military first aid kit, but they were purchased and issued by the US government. I have a dozen or so of these, and think they make a great kit to have on hand. I’m not sure how old it is.

Heirloom Indian Cave Beans:

I wanted to make sure and include something for everyone in this prize package, including the homesteaders. I’ve actually included 3 types of heirloom seeds making up what we here in NM call the “Tres Hermanas”, or “3 Sisters”. There are heirloom Indian squash seeds, some heirloom Indian corn, and a very special variety of Indian cave bean you won’t find anywhere else. These varieties will not produce as much food as other more modern (squash/corn/pole-bean) varieties you could plant, but they are well adapted to being grown in less than ideal conditions with little upkeep and water (ideal for a secret survival garden or dispersed gardening techniques). Natives used to plant these in small garden plots along riparian zones as they migrated the country side, providing them food on their return.

I’ve included a diagram showing the Tres Hermanas symbiotic principal in planting these seeds together. The Indian corn included is actually descendant from corn my dad literally found in an Indian pot in a cave in the 1970’s. We sent it off to a university in South America where they were able to germinate some of the corn after an estimated 600 years. It is not genetically unique from other Indian corn you may find, but still very cool background. The beans are the most special item of all. These are a unique variety of Indian cave bean nearly lost forever and only possessed by a handful of folks. The picture does not show it well, but these are giant beans with lavender color that dry to a deep purple.

These beans are most similar to (but still unique from) the Fremont Cave Beans found here.

https://www.marysheirloomseeds.com/blogs/news/84354433-saving-the-fremont-bean

If you win the prize, and are not into planting things, please pass these magic beans onto someone who will plant them and create a fresh generation of this seed-stock (or allow me to).

Last edited by KeyserSoSay; 01-24-2018 at 12:21 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Another place holder for future content......
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:19 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,036 Times in 3,116 Posts

Can I play? I'm in a central time zone in Canada. If I win, I'll pay shipping and the AR mag can go to someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,471 Times in 7,085 Posts

A Survivor like game?

I should join just so all the people I've hacked off on the site will have the pleasure of voting me off, first.

But anyway, congratulation on putting such a game together, and good luck and lots of fun running it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Can I play? I'm in a central time zone in Canada. If I win, I'll pay shipping and the AR mag can go to someone else.
Yes sure, Canadians are a go. Having studied up on similar games in other forums, folks in distant lands tend to mess up the game a bit as they are asleep when things are happening (is why I restricted it to the US). I don't think we'd have a problem with customs shipping the prize to Canada either.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,179 Times in 4,263 Posts
Thumbs up

Applied.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,080 Times in 4,381 Posts

Applied.
The Following User Says Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM
King of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
Yes sure, Canadians are a go. Having studied up on similar games in other forums, folks in distant lands tend to mess up the game a bit as they are asleep when things are happening (is why I restricted it to the US). I don't think we'd have a problem with customs shipping the prize to Canada either.
I'll PM my application!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM
12th Generation American

Thanked 1,874 Times in 674 Posts

Iíll be down. Will PM later tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to R_Jacobs18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Also, to answer a few questions, Not all challenges or game play will require players to be on at a certain time (in fact none will REQUIRE it), but there will be some challenges where frequent or timely activity on the site will be beneficial. Early risers, and night owls can be a benefit too, so as teams are formed, those members (who are up extra late or extra early) might be valuable to the team.

Some of the games will be based on forum activity (who posts what, and when), others may be a quiz, or puzzle, or codebreaking where you don't have to be first to win. Some games are strategy games where you try to outwit your opponent (think rock/paper/scissors for example). At the end of the day, like the TV show, you don't have to win the challenges to win the game- this will be a social game and the players will themselves determine who stays and who goes, and ultimately who wins.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Prepared

Sounds fun.

I'm Applied
The Following User Says Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM
King of Canada

I'm applied!

I'm in it, to WIN IT!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,970 Times in 8,963 Posts

I'm Applied
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
A Survivor like game?

I should join just so all the people I've hacked off on the site will have the pleasure of voting me off, first.

But anyway, congratulation on putting such a game together, and good luck and lots of fun running it!
LOL! Join the game, Moc. We can argue around the asteroid crater

Keyser, as per our conversation, I'll submit an app later tonight/tomorrow morning and you can add me if needed.

Those beans look similar to the Anasazi beans I grow on occasion, although mine are more mottled. Are they from SEARCH? If they are Anasazi, as a bare minimum, maybe we can swap a handful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh MacArawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh MacArawn View Post
LOL! Join the game, Moc. We can argue around the asteroid crater

Keyser, as per our conversation, I'll submit an app later tonight/tomorrow morning and you can add me if needed.

Those beans look similar to the Anasazi beans I grow on occasion, although mine are more mottled. Are they from SEARCH? If they are Anasazi, as a bare minimum, maybe we can swap a handful.
So far we have 7-9 players pending- So I hope both you and Moccasin commit and apply to play (and everyone else reading this). We can probably start with as few as a dozen, but I think at least 16 would be best.

As far as the beans- I do not know if these are yet in SEARCH, if compared to an old car this bean would be what you'd call a "barn find". I have a friend who makes documentary films, and she is making a film on this bean, it's history, its genetics, SEARCH, and the overall importance of conserving genetic diversity in food crops. She gave me some of the beans because I had told her the story of my dad finding the 600 year old Indian corn and working with scientists to get it germinated- so she knew I had an interest in these types of things.

As far as a prepper resource, what's cool about the ancient Indian strains of these crops is that they are as tough as the people who grew them when all of life was SHTF (before petro-fertilizers, irrigation pumps, insecticides, and tractors)

These beans are over 5 years old, but should still germinate at least 50%. I usually try to get a new gen every 3 years (usually germinate about 100% for up to 3 years) as a minimum, but am a little behind. I'm planting a new generation this spring and would have some more to give out to those interested this fall.

link to SEARCH site for those interested.
https://www.nativeseeds.org/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,774 Times in 418 Posts

I'm applied
Old 01-24-2018, 05:32 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,656 Times in 627 Posts

NOT APPLYING, I'll be having surgery and a multi-day hospital stay in the next couple of weeks, but I want to follow along, so I'm tagging this thread.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Cool dude

Thanked 1,612 Times in 513 Posts

Overseas, so not applying, but subscribing out of curiosity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post: