Secure Browser ???? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 06:51 AM
This board not secure? grandma The Tech Zone 34 03-12-2018 02:04 PM
How do you secure your front door? JBryan314 Urban Survival 52 07-11-2017 06:47 PM
The Whitehouse is not secure enough Justme11 General Discussion 46 03-25-2017 05:53 PM
How to make a secure home for bugging in? David Bevis Urban Survival 50 02-05-2017 10:01 AM

Old 01-22-2018, 04:08 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default Secure Browser ????

Advertise Here

I was recently reading about surfing the net, with a secure browser. It is a download ,called Tor any one try it ? What is good about it, bad about it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,610 Posts

If you resize a TOR browser it can compromise the security of the browser. I have Arch Linux running on an Acer c720 chromebook and need the browser to be full screen.
If you are serious about being safe on the net try out a Linux distro called Tails. It runs off of a usb stick.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:02 AM
Trapper

Tor is scrambled en route to your computer, its secure enough
Linux T.E.N.S + Tor
The Following User Says Thank You to spundj For This Useful Post:

Old 01-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Thanked 1,298 Times in 684 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcast View Post
I was recently reading about surfing the net, with a secure browser. It is a download ,called Tor any one try it ? What is good about it, bad about it.
@OP, sorry for saying this, first of all I have no intend to discourage you what so ever, however I believe you need to learn more on how Onion Routing work and it's relation to TCP transport layer.

It's very easy to have false sense of anonymity when your browsing trough Onion Routing or browsing within dark web, unfortunately anonymity in the internet isn't something you could plug-n-play, it's require not only the fundamental understanding on how the entire internet protocol stack work, but also how they were applied in your system.

I always encourage anyone who wish for "enhanced privacy" in internet to at least learn & practice some technical understanding of internet protocol before they start using Onion Routing or other alleged anonymity services for serious use.

Even when you browsing using custom build Mozilla Firefox that were specially tweak for security to operate under Onion Routing, an attacker could still potentially apply multiple methods to severely compromise security.

When it came down to digital security, the only "silver bullet" would be technical knowledge, experience, and common sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,769 Times in 882 Posts

If you have a security clearance and they find you have TOR on your browser, you get reinvestigated. the cost of that reinvestigation is somewhere between a brand new full size pickup and a very respectable house in NM. They think you must be hiding something, and they want to know what it is.

The same thing happens if you have VeraCrypt or a steganography program on your computer. It is treated like possession of burglary tools; evidence of suspect motives and behavior.

TOR uses Duck Duck Go, which does not track you like Google.

TOR is a start. You need to add VPN to be reasonably secure.

TOR is necessary to get on the Dark Web, where crimes are conducted in the open.

If you research TOR you will be introduced to many other aspects of online security.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuna View Post
@OP, sorry for saying this, first of all I have no intend to discourage you what so ever, however I believe you need to learn more on how Onion Routing work and it's relation to TCP transport layer.
When it came down to digital security, the only "silver bullet" would be technical knowledge, experience, and common sense.
Okay, question... what do you mean by "secure"? Do you mean "secure" from hackers? Secure from government snooping? Secure against malware? Do you mean maintaining online anonymity? Because all of those are different issues and require different techniques... so you can't say "well, all of them." If you want all of that, then like varuna said, you have to basically become your own IT expert because there's no single product that provides all of that. Even the security provided by combinations of products can be undone by carelessness, impatience, or inexperience.

Take anonymity for example... which is really what VPNs, the Tor browser, and the onion network are really about. If you're going to go for online anonymity, you have to live two lives online and those lives can never cross paths. You can't use the Tor browser and your VPN to log into your online banking site, and you can't use your regular browser/setup to log into your favorite super-secret conspiracy theory site. The minute you do either, even once, you've left tracks that can be traced back to you. VPN and Tor also don't protect you from malware. In fact, if you're running around the grey or dark web with the Tor browser you're in even greater risk of infecting your computer if you don't know what to watch out for.

Security from hackers and malware can be addressed with methods like AK_guy mentioned. However, you can still hang yourself if you get tricked by a counterfeit website or Phishing scam.

Finally, for the truely paranoid, any pre-compiled software can potentially have malicious code in it that may not be picked up by even the most sophisticated antivirus. Even if it's open source software, unless you're checking and compiling the code yourself... there's the chance it could be used to track you or compromise your information.

So really the bottom line is what your goal is and how paranoid you are.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,182 Posts

TOR is good and VPN's are good. The combination is better.

Another trick is to create a VM for browsing, do not use your host machine.
If somehow the browsing machine is hacked, they've only hacked a ship in a bottle a VM.
You can restore your browser VM to it's initial image anytime you feel like, thus undoing
any hack that may have occurred.
Note, the VM I use for browsing is a Linux based distro - obviously not a Windows based
operating system due to the multitude of security holes...
The Following User Says Thank You to tiberius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ////////////////////////

This is obviously very complex , and needs research. What I am trying to accomplish, is become invisible . What I am gathering from info above is, unless you have dedicated computer . That is not possible, as soon as you make an on line purchase . Or send a document, your cover is essentially blown. It is not something you can simply use at free will ,from a flash drive.
And if others use you computer it is leading back to you .
Old 01-27-2018, 08:59 AM
LGM30F Little Helper

It helps to have a separate computer entirely set up for security away from your 'normal' on-line computer.

Coreboot and Libreboot are two other security measures not spoken of frequently. This is a reflash of the BIOS chip and loads a different, secure BIOS that cannot be hacked.

All of your security measures won't mean anything if a hacker, of any kind, can gain control of your system though a back door in the BIOS that the manufacturer loads.

Everyone seems to forget about this major vulnerability.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default //////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
It helps to have a separate computer entirely set up for security away from your 'normal' on-line computer.

Coreboot and Libreboot are two other security measures not spoken of frequently. This is a reflash of the BIOS chip and loads a different, secure BIOS that cannot be hacked.

All of your security measures won't mean anything if a hacker, of any kind, can gain control of your system though a back door in the BIOS that the manufacturer loads.

Everyone seems to forget about this major vulnerability.
So to simplify a little , if I was to use either of the mentioned alternatives .
I would be invisible, providing I was on an isolated device ? Or I would use this in conjunction ,with a list of others ?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM

I would suggest you run the Linux distro called TAILS live from a USB stick as your requirements seem to extend beyond what a web browser can provide.

https://tails.boum.org/
Old 01-29-2018, 04:59 AM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcast View Post
So to simplify a little , if I was to use either of the mentioned alternatives .
I would be invisible, providing I was on an isolated device ? Or I would use this in conjunction ,with a list of others ?
There is NO SUCH THING as being fully invisible in the internet. Even those of us whose operating hardened system rely more in deception (security trough obscurity)

A good rule of thumb is, if you still need to ask whether or not your secure / safe then your most likely are not secure / safe whatsoever. However if your at the point of asking spesific technical method then there is possibility that you are "sufficiently secure / safe"
Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 AM
Dog & Reptiles eater

@OP here is a good place to start learning https://ssd.eff.org/en