Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Advertise Here

When I say these things, what do you think of? Karate, Tae Kwon Do, BJJ, or even boxing? Krav Maga is used to great effect, Muay Thai and Muay Boran as well.

But, have you ever heard of Glima? What about Lausatok? I bet not unless you come from it's area of origin or have any interest in "obscure" styles of martial combat.

These two combat styles are practiced today just as they were over two thousand years ago.

But is it of Asian origin? African? Indian? No, it is of Norwegian origins. Yes, the same area of the world the combat hardened and brutal Vikings came from.

This is the ancient style of combat that the very same raiders used when sacking every village and coastline they waged war against. From the historical accounts of these battle we have, we know that Vikings were some of the hardiest and fiercest warriors of their age.

But how does this translate into a style for modern combat and self defense? Simple, it's the way the training is conducted. In most martial combat styles, you are training inside of a dojo where it is warm and you have soft mats to absorb most of your impact. Glima and Lausatok, you also train inside but only for a small portion, much of your training being conducted outside in all weather conditions.

The Vikings believed that to be the strongest warrior and survive combat, one must strengthen and harden their body, mind, and spirit in that order. Begin with the body because it is the easiest to strengthen. Then strengthen the mind, without this fortitude the body will fail. Finally strengthen the spirit, without this the mind will fail the body.

And who's to argue with them when the Vikings were, for so long and over such a large area of the world, feared as the warriors they were. When you saw the iconic longships of the Viking raiders landing on the beach, you knew that if they attacked it would be a bloodbath of axes, swords and spears. But they were also some of the greatest hand-to-hand fighters even without their weapons. They were masters of grappling, throws, joint locks, chokes, pain inducing, and strikes.

I am a martial arts enthusiast and have had training in several different style, though never enough that I could call myself overly proficient. Simply certain techniques that would afford me the ability to deal a threat; disarming of a subjects weapon hand, basic working joint locks, a handful of chokes, and strikes both empty hand and with weapons of different styles. But Glima and Lausatok I have only heard of recently and began researching it.

What are some styles you practice? Does it translate into real world combat tactics? Would you look into this as a practical method of self defense?

I am personally looking into, it is something that I would be interested in learning. If you have knowledge of anyone who teaches this, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,938 Times in 2,513 Posts

i think someones been watching a bit too much Vikings on the history channel. there many valid martial arts systems in the world. the more popular they become the more sporterised they get, but that said human body mechanics is the same hence most martial arts styles have a huge amount of overlap worldwide, its the philosophy and crap that is different
The Following User Says Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????? View Post
i think someones been watching a bit too much Vikings on the history channel.
You know, there is no need to be condescending. I have actually never watched the show, in fact I hardly watch enough TV to justify getting cable. I have a TV and DVD player to watch movies. That's about all I do besides the occasional video games. This is a legitimate style of martial combat. If you want to be a pr!ck, go do it on your own post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,938 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99Survival View Post
You know, there is no need to be condescending. I have actually never watched the show, in fact I hardly watch enough TV to justify getting cable. I have a TV and DVD player to watch movies. That's about all I do besides the occasional video games. This is a legitimate style of martial combat. If you want to be a pr!ck, go do it on your own post.
I never said it wasn't a legitimate style of martial art.

and considering in your OP its Viking this and that every other sentences. every culture has traditional martial arts and hand to hand systems to get men/boys ready to fight, and they are all very similar in technique. the fact your so overly sensitive to a skeptical look at your post says a lot about you. and I can promise you if that's how thin your skin is you wont do well on this forum.

and it is true ever since that show and all its historical inaccuracies came out its Viking this Viking that bla bla bla.

most Scandinavians at the time were farmers and traders. a few were professional soldiers.
The Following User Says Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 AM
Cool dude

Thanked 1,612 Times in 513 Posts

I just watched a few youtube vids on Glima. It seems to be a relatively primitive form of wrestling similar to the Celtic styles.

The stuff I saw doesn't look like it would translate well to the modern world, it's clearly from another age.

Very strength based with not much in the way of techniques, but hey if that's culturally appropriate for you, go for it. I'm sure it's a good workout.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????? View Post

I never said it wasn't a legitimate style of martial art.

and considering in your OP its Viking this and that every other sentences. every culture has traditional martial arts and hand to hand systems to get men/boys ready to fight, and they are all very similar in technique. the fact your so overly sensitive to a skeptical look at your post says a lot about you. and I can promise you if that's how thin your skin is you wont do well on this forum.

and it is true ever since that show and all its historical inaccuracies came out its Viking this Viking that bla bla bla.

most Scandinavians at the time were farmers and traders. a few were professional soldiers.
What you said wasn't skeptical, it was condescending. You spoke down to me, I don't take kindly to disrespect. A skeptical view would be what Apok commented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok View Post
I just watched a few youtube vids on Glima. It seems to be a relatively primitive form of wrestling similar to the Celtic styles.

The stuff I saw doesn't look like it would translate well to the modern world, it's clearly from another age.

Very strength based with not much in the way of techniques, but hey if that's culturally appropriate for you, go for it. I'm sure it's a good workout.
It is a fairly strength based form, a lot of it being controlling your opponent so that they do minimal injury to you while allowing you to do as much damage to them as possible. A big part of their philosophy, go to the ground if you have to and finish your opponent as quickly and brutally as possible because the more time spent struggling with one opponent means that his buddy has more time to attack and kill you while your attention is elsewhere in a struggle. They have modernized for both Military/defense applications as well as a sporterized version. The competition version focusing more on the grappling aspect than actual combat.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,755 Times in 8,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok View Post

Fighting is strength based.

This technique only buisness is a con to attract soccer moms.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Cool dude

Thanked 1,612 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Fighting is strength based.

This technique only buisness is a con to attract soccer moms.
I'm not sure about 'fighting' but imho real violence is based on strength/conditioning, technique/strategy & perception/willpower.

Each to their own though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
i think someones been watching a bit too much Vikings on the history channel. there many valid martial arts systems in the world. the more popular they become the more sporterised they get, but that said human body mechanics is the same hence most martial arts styles have a huge amount of overlap worldwide, its the philosophy and crap that is different
agree 100%.

I believe most martial arts in their original warlike style probably looked very similar.... There is a 'mechanically human efficient' way to punch, kick, takedown, throw, jointlock etc and the more realistically the style is used the more these attacks become similar looking across various styles.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:30 PM
Hunter

okay so I am a wrestler by sport and just looked at this glima.

Its nothing new. Because there is nothing new about takedown style wrestling. Its the worlds oldest sport, almost every ethnic group ever has a style of it. It varies through certain rules and costumes, but the mechanics are always there, and in free sparring 90% of the moves will look completely identical. ( for example a shoulder throw, and a hip throw, and a two on one, and a suplex, and a whizzer, and a front head lock and etc etc etc all look the same from year 5000BC to now, on all continents, in most styles, forever)

With these re-enactment styles you get the standard groups doing it.

Those who can wrestle to some degree and want to be part of a historical club.

Those who can't wrestle very well and don't seem to be interested in formal coaching by a wrestler. Balance and position and spacing all beginner level, but are slowly putting something together just by wrestling enough, and obviously having a fun time while wrestling poorly, and learning the very slow way.

My advice is just get standard wrestling lessons, learn it properly from any highschool level coach, then dress up in viking skins( or any other ethnic group costume)and call it what you want, because it will all look the same anyway, and you will actually be doing it correctly, and you will learn it 10 times faster to boot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,755 Times in 8,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
okay so I am a wrestler by sport and just looked at this glima.

Its nothing new. Because there is nothing new about takedown style wrestling. Its the worlds oldest sport, almost every ethnic group ever has a style of it. It varies through certain rules and costumes, but the mechanics are always there, and in free sparring 90% of the moves will look completely identical. ( for example a shoulder throw, and a hip throw, and a two on one, and a suplex, and a whizzer, and a front head lock and etc etc etc all look the same from year 5000BC to now, on all continents, in most styles, forever)

With these re-enactment styles you get the standard groups doing it.

Those who can wrestle to some degree and want to be part of a historical club.

Those who can't wrestle very well and don't seem to be interested in formal coaching by a wrestler. Balance and position and spacing all beginner level, but are slowly putting something together just by wrestling enough, and obviously having a fun time while wrestling poorly, and learning the very slow way.

My advice is just get standard wrestling lessons, learn it properly from any highschool level coach, then dress up in viking skins( or any other ethnic group costume)and call it what you want, because it will all look the same anyway, and you will actually be doing it correctly, and you will learn it 10 times faster to boot.
By the way insert glima for krav maga and this would also be on point.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Hunter

Not sure what you mean, krav maga is not a wrestling sport.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99Survival View Post
... A big part of their philosophy, go to the ground if you have to and finish your opponent as quickly and brutally as possible because the more time spent struggling with one opponent means that his buddy has more time to attack and kill you while your attention is elsewhere in a struggle. ...
Same philosophy we use in Japanese Jujutsu (the basis for the sport of Judo, the art of Aikido, and in it's original brutal form, the basis for most military and police combat systems world-wide). Why do you think the vikings and the samurai, who never met insofar as I know, had similar arts and similar philosophy in practice (along with medieval knights and many, many other cultures)? Because there are only so many ways to do something correctly. We have different cultures over the world, but we are all built the same (relatively speaking) so what works grappling vikings (or hapless villagers) works the same for the warring samurai, or the modern person walking down a dark street. Typically certain systems developed as different clans wanted to improve on design to give them a leg up (heh) on others. The ones whose system worked the best survived to pass on their training. As time wore on, of course, peace became more the thing, and more styles developed including, sadly, weaker systems. But, even at that, with experience, one can pick the techniques that are effective, focus on those and do well, hopefully then moving on to better and better training.

My family is mostly of Celtic and Irish origin so that sort of historical stuff interests me, as your viking blood peaks your interest in Glima and Lausatok. Irish Bataireacht is very similar in many respects to bojutsu (particularly the hanbo or a police baton-sized stick). I would love to do some hard-core training in Bataireacht, but while one can fine a TKD school on every corner here abouts, not so with more obscure arts. In any case, my heart is in Japanese martial arts (I've trained in, taught, and continued to practice Chinese and Korean stuff too). Jujutsu is what saved my bacon many times and helped me train others to do the same. Note I said martial art, not sport. I'm ranked in Judo and Aikido and they are fun and I have great respect for their dedicated practitioners, but I use those to improve my jujustu for fighting rather than using my jujutsu to improve on sport. Important distinction.

If you like the arts you mentioned and that interest is enough to keep you training, then by all means have at it! But keep an open mind and know that if something doesn't look right, there might be a better way to do it (and depending upon your instructor you might have to find that out for yourself). I recommend training in more than one martial art (I emphasize again, art, not just sport), even very similar ones just to get a well-rounded view.

Anyway, if you will forgive the lecture (hitting 32 years in martial arts, so I tend to lecture), enjoy what you enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CeltKnight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,026 Times in 4,468 Posts

In my limited experience, bjj and boxing create a very powerful and well rounded profile. You can sub actual wrestling for bjj. Every person I've gone up against full contact will ultimately devolve into a boxer and a grappler, no matter what fancy crap they are into. Some will also throw elbow and knee strikes, to good effect up close. Usually only losers and lucky people will throw a kick high at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
In my limited experience, bjj and boxing create a very powerful and well rounded profile. You can sub actual wrestling for bjj. Every person I've gone up against full contact will ultimately devolve into a boxer and a grappler, no matter what fancy crap they are into. Some will also throw elbow and knee strikes, to good effect up close. Usually only losers and lucky people will throw a kick high at all.
I agree. Being able to strike is nice and when the fight eventually goes to the ground, being able to grapple gives you a huge advantage. Boxing and BJJ give you both of these skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackSaint11 For This Useful Post: