Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hope for good people in other religions sixtus Religious Discussion 146 12-15-2017 10:28 AM
Some hope for us millenials after all? Axethebarbarian General Discussion 18 10-26-2017 02:34 PM
Harvey, Irma - I hope everyone's okay. SamboRoberts Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 09-11-2017 04:37 AM
Hope is necessary. Undercover General Discussion 0 12-20-2016 08:52 AM
Which one leaves first? stan saas General Discussion 58 11-11-2016 02:21 PM

Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Hope I can help

Advertise Here

Hi all,
Chris from Rhode Island. I had recently found this forum from a link that somebody posted in one of the FaceBook preparedness groups I belong to. Being involved in non-profit emergency services groups for over 26 years I've seen a pattern in the radio communications side of things and really needed a much better solution when it comes to group radio communications that didn't have any ties to Amateur Radio, GMRS, MURS, Citizen Band, etc. This radio system and licensing programs have been developed out of necessity for my own groups not for financial gain and since then there are a lot of folks that agree with me and feel the same need. This radio system and license is now available nationally and offered to those who want another way to communicate with radio. I would like to share this with you all as a powerful alternative to the common "public" radio services. I'm looking forward to talking with you all.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US Preparatory For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,792 Posts

ol.....Saying Hey and Welcome....
The Following User Says Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,262 Times in 5,106 Posts

Welcome...
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:

Old 11-02-2017, 02:21 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,249 Times in 8,942 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I have not heard about any new FCC licensing changes. Which band/service are you advocating?

It sounds like business band (Land Mobile), but unless they have really relaxed the rules and lowered the fee structure, that can be expensive.

I am very interested in any type of alternative communication system.

Welcome to the forum.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Canadian EH!

Greetings from Southern Alberta
The Following User Says Thank You to Alien7up For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM
أنا لست إرهابيا

Thanked 79,988 Times in 31,968 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:31 AM
Ready, willing, and able

Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,198 Posts

Shalom from the panhandle of Florida.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke 22:35-38 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 PM
RAEIndustries

Welcome to the forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to RAEIndustries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,878 Times in 3,304 Posts

Welcome, from eastern Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:11 PM

Welcome to the site!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebolinux For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,472 Times in 12,731 Posts

Hey there!! Welcome from Quincy
The Following User Says Thank You to survivalebooks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Thansk everybody for the welcome. It looks like a very informative and valuable resourse for preparedness minded folks! Thanks again guys. I looking forward to learning more.
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to US Preparatory For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I have not heard about any new FCC licensing changes. Which band/service are you advocating?

It sounds like business band (Land Mobile), but unless they have really relaxed the rules and lowered the fee structure, that can be expensive.

I am very interested in any type of alternative communication system.

Welcome to the forum.

Just my opinion.
Hello Mr. Young.
I have read very similar statements from many over the last two years and have taken all of these concerns into great consideration while developing the licensing program. This is why it took almost a year and a half to develop...and long over due from my experiences.

To be honest, the licensing and radio hardware was actually going to be offered by my non-profit but my fiscal sponcor advised against it as non-profit organization sees a lot of "red tape" from the IRS if the organization would be selling any products on a regular basis. I was bummed out at first, not being able to do this project as my non-profit public safety organization...but began to rethink it. My fiscal sponsor advised that I should create a small company and offer the product and licensing as this company. So I began to go down that road. US Preparatory was formed shortly after this conversation.

This is a radio program and licensing program that was created by myself (for US Preparatory) and our certified FCC coordinator team not the FCC. The licensing is in fact part 90 LMR. I'll tell you a bit about it if you like.
First and foremost the system is called the Preparatory Emergency Groups or PEG. It uses some unconventional hardware designed specifically for the PEG radio systems and no duplex hardware is used. This helps keep the systems far cheaper than conventional systems but also ensures that the folks with basic mechanical ability and little to no radio experience can install and maintain the system. This was a must for a radio comms system of this type.

The system is available in three main types.
  1. Simplex
  2. Category1/2
  3. Category 3

Simplex is self explanatory.
A Category 1 and 2 are similar in licensing but are used for two different purposes. These are single zone, small/medium area coverage systems. Similar to what you would see in a conventional repeater system but far similar to install and offer over two times the range of a conventional UHF radio system.

A Category 3 system is a multi-zone, expandable radio network system. It uses Remote Node stations, one per zone, these are connected with a UHF back-haul link to a link hub Storford repeater. This links all the nodes together to form a large network.

The primary band of a PEG system is the LMR VHF low band with UHF being used for two applications. We use UHF to link a remote node of a multi-zone Category 3 system with the other nodes within the system but also the optional XTR system allows you to use a low power UHF portable radio to use the base or vehicle radio do do the "heavy lifting". This of course is a major advantage to portable radio use. Since it allows the portable radio to only have to get back to vehicle or base station AND since the base or vehicle radio is high power and utilizes a far more efficient antennas system the results are usually a paradigm shift on what most folks think of a portable radio.

The program is primarily geared towards small to large groups but there is a couple of individual/family licenses that have been granted. One on Long Island NY. The program consist of significant discounts and "round down" pricing on coordination. We also have an agreement with the coordinator that allows us to obtain a candidate frequency list for the group BEFORE the license is purchased to ensure testing can be done to reveal any potential issues with any given frequency such as noise or local user interference.

This allows testing to be done before the license is purchased. Once things have been tested by the group and everything is ready to go the license can be purchased. This was one of the most important features of the license because without it, I wouldn't feel comfortable offering the license to groups without the ability to test things first. The license has been organized to offer a rather simple way of obtaining an otherwise involved, full featured radio system so it's easy on the licensee/group.

Some of the key points of the license are super important to a radio audience of this type.
  • No technical exams to sudy for.
  • A single license/callsign covers over 100 users on the system.
  • Personal IDs, protocol and lingo are set by the group/licensee not by a "community" of outsiders
  • The group has priority use of the license frequencies within 75 miles of the coverage area.
  • Frequencies are readily available allowing for the addition of add-ons such as a "Tac", "Friends and Family", "off topic", etc simplex channel(s)
  • This PEG low band VHF offer up to 2.5 better range than a similar UHF system which means that simplex offers much better range which of course increases the functionality and usability of the system which really does make a difference in range without the use of a repeater.

I guide each group through the process and working closely with the coordinator.

There are PEG systems going up in different state throughout the country. NY, PA, AK, TX, VA are some of the ones going up now.

I'm building a state wide Category 3 in Rhode Island. It's a five zone system covering all of the state and a good chunk of MA and CT as well.

I can share videos with you if you like as well as other information but I do appreciate your interest.
I had no intention on diving into this here in my intro post so sorry about the long winded some what "self promo"...that was never the intention.

Thanks Jerry,
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US Preparatory For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 43,826 Times in 25,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Welcome to the forum.

"Be never first, never last and never noticed. Stay safe."

The Grey Man
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome.!
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to US Preparatory For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Off the leash

Thanked 1,991 Times in 841 Posts

Hello and welcome from S.IL!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 01:21 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,249 Times in 8,942 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Any elements that include long distance communications? And communications outside the regions set up locally?

Really interested in this idea.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,718 Times in 44,506 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Welcome aboard. We have a communications section that would be ideal for these posts. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor.

However, I do need to point out our site rules about advertising and spam. We take it very seriously and have a strong zero tolerance policy towards it, in any form. The site rules are available here:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Bowman

Thanked 6,102 Times in 2,975 Posts

Welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
Any elements that include long distance communications? And communications outside the regions set up locally?

Really interested in this idea.

Just my opinion.
Hi Jerry,
Yes there is an HF "InterRegional" channels that I haven't implemented yet however this is part of the original plan. Although the HF gear and capability is a secondary option for all members of a group, it's planned that some folks within each group will have this capability. Likely in a fixed station configuration using NVIS techniques. This "channel" connects groups together to pass information over great distances and then the priority traffic would be relayed to over the local system to inform the rest of the group.

There is also an InterGroup channel. This channel is authorized for all PEG licensees across the country and is used to communicate between local groups. The intent of this channel is for inter-communications between PEG groups without the need to be licensed on each others frequencies. It can be used to obtain information from another group while passing through their coverage area and coordinating resources between two or more local groups in an emergency. The InterGroup channel in most areas will be setup with an IP Gateway to allow communications using the Zello/Internet to link groups outside of the simplex range of the channel. This would mean in most cases that a mobile unit in Texas could talk to one of our units in Rhode Island using the InterGroup channel provided that the IP Gateway has been installed and working at both locations. Of course this would be considered "gravy" range as I don't think it's wise to depend on IP based communications for a preparedness radio communication system. Still it would come in handy while the Internet is working. Again this is what the HF freqs would help with but like I said...most folks are not going to want an HF radio/antenna setup in their vehicle or house but I'm sure there is a least one in every group that wouldn't mind having the HF/InterRegional channel(s) to stay connected with out groups across the country.
I hope that answers your question.

Sorry guys I didn't intend on this conversation going on in this section of the forum, nor did I intend for it to appears like I came here to advertise. I'll watch that next time. I'm just trying to share this exciting information with the community it was intended for.
-Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to US Preparatory For This Useful Post: