Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 09:30 PM
Martial Arts Renegade Coach Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 64 08-15-2014 02:43 AM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 10:17 PM
Who here practices Martial Arts? Vanishing Nomad General Discussion 38 08-03-2012 09:26 AM
Best Martial arts to learn? ddog27 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 200 06-23-2012 06:24 AM
Self Defense vs. Martial Arts hudson69 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 24 06-14-2011 11:28 AM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 07:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 03:06 PM
Martial Arts for the Prepper ready1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-05-2008 11:56 AM

Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,786 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Western martial arts

Advertise Here

This thread is dedicated to the fighting arts of the west as i believe that eastern martial arts originated in the west and was taken east by Alexander the great over the Himalayas into India and then spread to china and the rest of Asia..

http://www.ugottawannamartialarts.com/kenpo.php

http://johnwhurley.com/hurleyframeset-2.html

Last edited by AncientBrit; 09-16-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AncientBrit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Trapper

The combat arts of the east are native, this is only what you believe, not fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiecuando For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecuando View Post
The combat arts of the east are native, this is only what you believe, not fact.
It may not be fact but a lot of experts believe that whats happened,can you prove beyond all doubt that it didn't happen this way.

Read this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_m..._arts_(origins)

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=164

Greek.
[400-300 BC.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pankration3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	20063  

Last edited by AncientBrit; 09-17-2009 at 06:37 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks65 View Post
It may not be fact but a lot of experts believe that whats happened,can you prove beyond all doubt that it didn't happen this way.

Read this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_m..._arts_(origins)

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=164

Greek.
[400-300 BC.]
Well, I couldn't find any east Asian arts that do stuff that looks like that...so, I guess they didn't come from the west. You know, Hawaiians have Lua, it looks kinda like Filipino Kun Tao, but it isn't. So, even if they did have stuff that looks similar, it doesn't mean it had influence.

Now, I don't know if they ever had real ground/submission wrestling in East Asia, the only thing I could find reference too is "dog boxing", supposedly based on ground 'n' pounding, but I don't know if this was made up recently or not. They use BJJ in China.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Trapper

I think it was "Mastering Jiu-Jitsu" where I heard that Judo, and this BJJ's ground work comes from a style known as "Fusen Ryu", but there is a school calling themselves Fusen Ryu that don't do that stuff. If it is true, however, then ground fighting may have also been a native art in some Asian countries.

The only real original Shao Lin techniques used anymore are the staff techniques, or so I've heard. Remember the cultural revolution, they can't even practice martial arts there without a license, so who knows what has been lost.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Well all one has to do is determine who's oldest, the europeans or the orientals.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
Well all one has to do is determine who's oldest, the europeans or the orientals.
Chinese civilization is older than classical Greece. But, there was ancient Greece, nobody knows much about that.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
well by this theory Africa would have the first martial art but until Shaka Zulu it was more for show than a fighting system.

And if your theory is correct wouldn't Africa be more advanced than europe in all things.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Trapper

Quote:
well by this theory Africa would have the first martial art but until Shaka Zulu it was more for show than a fighting system.

And if your theory is correct wouldn't Africa be more advanced than europe in all things.
Some of the tribes had metal tools and weapons. They were the ones who captured the less advanced tribes people and sold them into slavery. Of course, Europeans had guns.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:

Actually Iraq is considered the cradle of civilization, but it's a stretch to imply one culture stole martial arts from another culture. It is most likely martial artists traveled and expanded their martial art to other cultures. Most all cultures began by just fighting each other, but then some began studying how animals fought and incorporated those, while others stuck to study of the human movements. Even the Brazilians admit their Jujitsu was copied from the movements of the Anaconda.

Last edited by letsgetreal; 09-18-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Actually Iraq is considered the cradle of civilization, but it's a stretch to imply one culture stole martial arts from another culture. It is most likely martial artists traveled and expanded their martial art to other cultures. Most all cultures began by just fighting each other, but then some began studying how animals fought and incorporated those, while others stuck to study of the human movements. Even the Brazilians admit their Jujitsu was copied from the movements of the Anaconda.
I never said anyone stole anyone's martial arts,just that i think martial arts spread from Greece through India and into Asia with Alexanda the Great and there are a few historians that think this could be true.

BJJ was created by the Gracies and has its origins in Japan JJ.

Japans martial arts originate from China, China's martial arts originate from India and so on.

http://www.jadedragon.com/archives/roots.html

Many authorities contend that the fourth century B.C.E. conquest of India by Alexander the Great laid the foundation of Indian martial arts by dispersing pankration techniques throughout the subcontinent.[6][7] Notable figures, such as Tatsuo Suzuki, Hirokazu Kanazawa, and Masutasu Oyama have pointed out the influence of Pankration on Indian martial arts.[8]

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...n_Martial_Arts

Last edited by AncientBrit; 09-18-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Trapper

No, not all of Chinese martial arts come from India. And not all of Japan's arts came from China either.

Last edited by tiecuando; 09-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: "chine"=China
The Following User Says Thank You to tiecuando For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
I never said anyone stole anyone's martial arts,just that i think martial arts spread.......
Then I misunderstood the text. My apologies. Other than that, we agree that MA spread....now the exact route.......hmmmm. Btw, Iraq used to be called Mesopotamia. Also, even Yuhan uses conjecture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Trapper

I had a link a long time ago, I cannot find it now. But as I read that "internal" vs "external" doesn't mean hard hitting on the outside vs a powerful blow at short range capable of making you stumble back. What it really means is arts that were created within China, and those brought in from the outside. Shao Lin systems were external, because they had influence from India.

There are plenty of internal Chinese styles, and most traditional styles teach "short power" as well as long power. Then again, I've heard that what the Romans called "spiritus" could have been the equivalent of a Chinese one inch punch for Roman boxing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiecuando For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

I like how this thread is going.

I do think a lot of it is conjecture and cannot really be proved on less we where actually there.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecuando View Post
No, not all of Chinese martial arts come from India. And not all of Japan's arts came from China either.
Have you got any links to back this up
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,446 Times in 4,139 Posts

I really think you've got your directions wrong...No, I'm positive!

Alexander, for sure, brought different styles west with his army but it is doubtful that they, the Greeks, had any, or at most, very little influence on the fighting styles of the East...

Elephants, horse archers, different style of weapons (sabres and crossbows) which of course meant different combat styles is what Alexander encountered and they are still around today (to some degree) but I don't see much of the Greek influence in any style of warfare throughout the ages, except maybe ritual boxing...

The shield and spear, nothing new...leaf style sword was replaced by an Eastern pattern that is called fulcata--a drawing cut as well as stabbing blade not a plain stabbing blade like the later Roman Gladius evolved into -- more along the lines of a large kukhri...Also the wondrous bamboo, Eastern medicines and treatment, different foods and spices.

So stick fighting is different in Ireland then in the Philippines? Pick up a large branch and beat someone over the head, but the display, the movements, the dance is different but the concept isn't...French Savate, is known to come from the Far East via the North Africans and then modified by Brazilians for their "Sampo" fighting from knowledge obtained by the Portuguese sailors proximity to France...

Remember that he never made it into China or Japan or the Malay peninsula...

The stuff you have videos for (excluding Irish stick), is more then 2,000 years AFTER Alex and his boys visited India...

Look at the training manuals on Medieval sword combat (1000 AD) to sword combat of the early Renaissance (1400 AD) to later (1500 AD)...the first two similar swords but different armour--means different techniques...last two totally different as the broadsword is over and the rapier style of sword emerges and again different armour (if even worn at all) means a different fighting style...

I don't see much in the way of Eastern swordplay in the manuals and for sure none of the Western methods would be considered in the East...Then the difference of a few hundred miles and swords go from straight to curved which again means a totally different fighting style and a few hundred more miles and they become even more curved (China, Mongolia and India)...
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
I really think you've got your directions wrong...No, I'm positive!

Alexander, for sure, brought different styles west with his army but it is doubtful that they, the Greeks, had any, or at most, very little influence on the fighting styles of the East...

Elephants, horse archers, different style of weapons (sabres and crossbows) which of course meant different combat styles is what Alexander encountered and they are still around today (to some degree) but I don't see much of the Greek influence in any style of warfare throughout the ages, except maybe ritual boxing...

The shield and spear, nothing new...leaf style sword was replaced by an Eastern pattern that is called fulcata--a drawing cut as well as stabbing blade not a plain stabbing blade like the later Roman Gladius evolved into -- more along the lines of a large kukhri...Also the wondrous bamboo, Eastern medicines and treatment, different foods and spices.

So stick fighting is different in Ireland then in the Philippines? Pick up a large branch and beat someone over the head, but the display, the movements, the dance is different but the concept isn't...French Savate, is known to come from the Far East via the North Africans and then modified by Brazilians for their "Sampo" fighting from knowledge obtained by the Portuguese sailors proximity to France...

Remember that he never made it into China or Japan or the Malay peninsula...

The stuff you have videos for (excluding Irish stick), is more then 2,000 years AFTER Alex and his boys visited India...

Look at the training manuals on Medieval sword combat (1000 AD) to sword combat of the early Renaissance (1400 AD) to later (1500 AD)...the first two similar swords but different armour--means different techniques...last two totally different as the broadsword is over and the rapier style of sword emerges and again different armour (if even worn at all) means a different fighting style...

I don't see much in the way of Eastern swordplay in the manuals and for sure none of the Western methods would be considered in the East...Then the difference of a few hundred miles and swords go from straight to curved which again means a totally different fighting style and a few hundred more miles and they become even more curved (China, Mongolia and India)...
The videos are just examples of western martial arts,nothing more nothing less.

The Greek swords look very much like long Khukuris.

As for Alexanda the Great not making it into china,i know this but martial arts spread from India to china so i think there most have been a western influence on the Asian martial arts.

Last edited by AncientBrit; 09-20-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,059 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
The videos are just examples of wetern martial arts,nothing more nothing less.

The Greek swords look very much like long Khukuris.

As for Alexanda the Great not making it into china,i know this but martial arts spread from India to china so i think there most have been a western influence on the Asian martial arts.
If it makes you feel better that the White man invented martial arts then more power to you. I am of the opinion that all cultures created their own martial art based on the way they fought themselves and their enemies.

All peoples fought and martial arts is just a refined extension of that simple fact. If you were given a club after awhile you would learn that somethings would work better than other attacks. You would show your friends and family. They would go out and learn new attacks and share with you.

To me that is the origin of martial arts. All else is story telling and national or racial pride. Unlike the argument for or against God this is a subject that does not matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to monet108 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Earthwalker.

Awards Showcase

Forget all this Asian rubbish and learn English martial arts,you know you want to.