Trying to decide my best SHTF rifle. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rethinking SHTF Rifle And Ammunition Stockpile kev Military Weapons Forum 147 02-11-2019 08:42 AM
SHTF Rifle for the Ozarks... hoth Firearms General Discussion 102 01-30-2018 01:12 PM
Pellet Rifle Myths. nomadshooter Firearms General Discussion 14 12-25-2017 01:55 PM
First post: What should I do for a rifle in SHTF? SafeOperator Firearms General Discussion 124 06-19-2017 01:53 PM
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Bolt Action Sporterized Rifle w/Monte Carlo Stock (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-17-2017 01:21 PM

Old 07-06-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Trying to decide my best SHTF rifle.

Advertise Here

As things stand right now I have a basic setup of non perishable foods and basic medical supplies for my wife and I should we need to survive in SHTF, I'm planning on bulking them up and maybe aiming for some better quality eventualy.

But for right now I feel my next decision I need to make is to finally make a solid decision on a rifle setup. So I know exactly what tool to grab as we leave and i can focus practice and ammo/funds on that rifle.

I know a lot of this will depend on personal opinions but that's what I'm here for is to get as many as I can then decode which I agree with.

I have both a 556 AR15 and an AK47 and I'm having a hell of a time deciding which would be better. They both have all sorts of positives and negatives.

I had settled on the AK for the simple facts of how extremely reliable it has proven to be and the extra punch the caliber allows me. The one down side that is making me seriously doubt the decision is how damn heavy the thing is. Especially compared to the AR.

What are your personal thoughts and what do you have?
As a side note I'm saving up to buy a glock 19 as a side arm. I test fired a bunch of 9mm handguns and it worked best for me.

Sorry about the long post! Thanks for reading.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Marick73 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,842 Times in 3,506 Posts

I'm a dedicated AK owner, having divested myself of everything AR a few years back. That said, there is no better time to be buying complete AR rifles and uppers/lowers than RIGHT EFFIN NOW. Palmetto Armory will flood your email on a daily basis with great deals, and 5.56/.223 ammo if as reasonably priced as it has been since pre-2013. Forget AKs ... now is not the time. Elevated prices and not enough bang for the buck. You want to drop $1K+ on an Arsenal, that's a different animal. But for a straight up value play, ARs are where you should be and as much ammo as you can afford.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 30,840 Times in 7,466 Posts

Gosh, this is going to be a novel discussion... prolly no information anywhere on the web of opinions on the AR vs. AK...

My question is why do you have to pick just one? Seems really silly exercise in chasing your tail.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:

Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Hiker

Thanked 3,225 Times in 415 Posts

If you are looking at in from a "bug in" perspective, then which ever you are most comfortable with, and that works best for you. If you are thinking "bug-out" take the gun capable of killing whatever the largest threat is that you will face.

Around here, barring Hogzilla, the AR will be fine for most situations. If I was somewhere that large animals were a problem, I'd take whatever gun would take care of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theblindman94 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 PM

I own both an AR and AK. So buying them isn't the problem.

And thank you for your helpful and insightful reply leadcounsel. Your suggestion to lug two rifles as well as ammo and mags for both was very good. I'm painfully aware of how many opinions there are on the internet as to the competition between the two rifle platforms. I'm looking for ideas on what people here have for a setup and why those chose what they did.

Instead of being a smart ass and pushing my sarcasm button you could have told me what setup you have or suggested a 3rd option besides the two rifles I mentioned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marick73 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindman94 View Post
If you are looking at in from a "bug in" perspective, then which ever you are most comfortable with, and that works best for you. If you are thinking "bug-out" take the gun capable of killing whatever the largest threat is that you will face.

Around here, barring Hogzilla, the AR will be fine for most situations. If I was somewhere that large animals were a problem, I'd take whatever gun would take care of that.
We do have bear and mountain lions around here. As well as I would like some way to hunt deer and some small game.

I would definitely prefer the bug in approach, then I would probably stick to my ar15 I think. Not that it would matter since they would both be there lol. But i worry that it lacks the power I might need for a bug out.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Marick73; 07-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Spell check
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marick73 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Hiker

Thanked 3,225 Times in 415 Posts

A thought for the future, as I know this doesn't help immediately, is to by a higher powered handgun and carry the AR. I know that's not an immediate option, but something to ponder on in the future. When some friends and I planned a survival trip to Alaska, that was my approach to the problem. Take whatever rifle I wanted, and carry a large pistol for defense. We never went, so I can't tell if that approach would have worked out okay or not, but it's a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to theblindman94 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindman94 View Post
A thought for the future, as I know this doesn't help immediately, is to by a higher powered handgun and carry the AR. I know that's not an immediate option, but something to ponder on in the future. When some friends and I planned a survival trip to Alaska, that was my approach to the problem. Take whatever rifle I wanted, and carry a large pistol for defense. We never went, so I can't tell if that approach would have worked out okay or not, but it's a thought.
That's a good idea, one of the reasons I chose 9mm though is that besides the fact that it's so cheap it's a caliber my wife is comfortable with and can handle easily. Eventually the glock may well become hers when I can afford something bigger for myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marick73 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marick73 View Post
And thank you for your helpful and insightful reply leadcounsel. Your suggestion to lug two rifles as well as ammo and mags for both was very good. I'm painfully aware of how many opinions there are on the internet as to the competition between the two rifle platforms. I'm looking for ideas on what people here have for a setup and why those chose what they did.

Instead of being a smart ass and pushing my sarcasm button you could have told me what setup you have or suggested a 3rd option besides the two rifles I mentioned.
OK, I'm confused, you admit you know there are already virtually COUNTLESS threads on this subject, both on this forum and the rest of the web, yet you thought it was necessary to start yet another one? If it would make you feel better, we could compile the 100,000,000 other posts on this EXACT question and put them here to make you feel special? This is most likely the most common single question on the internet...Google would give you countless reasons for both back and forth. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to howyadoin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Can't the wife carry one? Not being sarcastic but there is two of you where or why did she fall out of the equation.

I have both and to be honest it would be a tough call on which one to grab, it literally would be a coin toss if all the variables were the same (ie ammo on hand, mags loaded, maintenance level of each).

You have a tough decision but I think you would be safe either way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DEFTanker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:55 PM
MAGA

Thanked 14,893 Times in 4,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Gosh, this is going to be a novel discussion... prolly no information anywhere on the web of opinions on the AR vs. AK...

My question is why do you have to pick just one? Seems really silly exercise in chasing your tail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
OK, I'm confused, you admit you know there are already virtually COUNTLESS threads on this subject, both on this forum and the rest of the web, yet you thought it was necessary to start yet another one? If it would make you feel better, we could compile the 100,000,000 other posts on this EXACT question and put them here to make you feel special? This is most likely the most common single question on the internet...Google would give you countless reasons for both back and forth. Good luck.
Why do you open the threads and comment on them? Stay out of them if all you want to do is be a *******.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Old School

Thanked 1,702 Times in 582 Posts

A quality lightweight bolt action rifle in .223 and a decent scope. .308 if you also plan to hunt deer-size game or larger.

With stainless steel instead of blue steel.

A Smith (pre-lock) or Ruger revolver in .38/.357 and a secure holster.

Then spend the money you saved by not buying more gun - on ammo and handgun combat classes.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need a rifle at all, especially an AR or an AK, you have made some very serious strategic mistakes that a firearm is not going to get you out of.

IMO - an AR or an AK make you a target for law enforcement.

Unless you are insisting that either of those two platforms are the only possible choices.

If that's the case, save up for an ACOG to put on your AR.

Oh, and a forward rail. You have to have a forward rail. Mine are from a company called Knights Armament.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstSergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,147 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote:
As things stand right now I have a basic setup of non perishable foods and basic medical supplies for my wife and I should we need to survive in SHTF, I'm planning on bulking them up and maybe aiming for some better quality eventualy.

But for right now I feel my next decision I need to make is to finally make a solid decision on a rifle setup. So I know exactly what tool to grab as we leave and i can focus practice and ammo/funds on that rifle.

I know a lot of this will depend on personal opinions but that's what I'm here for is to get as many as I can then decode which I agree with.

I have both a 556 AR15 and an AK47 and I'm having a hell of a time deciding which would be better. They both have all sorts of positives and negatives.

I had settled on the AK for the simple facts of how extremely reliable it has proven to be and the extra punch the caliber allows me. The one down side that is making me seriously doubt the decision is how damn heavy the thing is. Especially compared to the AR.

What are your personal thoughts and what do you have?
As a side note I'm saving up to buy a glock 19 as a side arm. I test fired a bunch of 9mm handguns and it worked best for me.

Sorry about the long post! Thanks for reading.
Both AKs and ARs are good guns in their own way, and have their pros and cons.

I apologize in advance for assuming that your wife *might* be a novice shooter. You're both going to want to be armed and trained with your primary weapon, and you should both be armed with the same weapon.

But, in my opinion:
-ARs are more convenient to operate. The bolt locks back after the last round, drop a mag, slap the next mag in, slap the mag release and off you go.
I don't know your wife (or you) , but mag changes are "less fiddly" and more intuitive with the AR.
-The AR feels more comfortable to shoot.

Disclaimer:
I've owned AK-type rifles in 7.62x39, and currently own and enjoy a Saiga 308 and a Saiga 12, and I'm on my 2nd and 3rd AR-15 (not counting the M16A2 Uncle Sam let me borrow for a trip to the catbox.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:57 PM
MAGA

Quote:
I own both an AR and AK. So buying them isn't the problem.

Be careful, he will push the mini 14 off as the rifle you just have to get.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 PM
MAGA

Why can't you carry the AK and have the wife carry the AR?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
Why do you open the threads and comment on them? Stay out of them if all you want to do is be a *******.
Because the title of the thread is " Trying to decide my best SHTF rifle"...but in reality it is just another AR vs. AK thread. If you're smart enough to operate a keyboard, you should be smart enough to find literally countless answers to this question. The reality is that it's personal preference and if the OP was actually proficient and using them regularly, he'd already know HIS answer. If he hasn't dedicated time to make that decision on his own...it probably won't really matter if the time comes that he actually needs this tidbit of information.
There is no correct answer and this thread will just be an endless back and forth based on most individuals own preference....which is usually dictated by what they already spent their money on. I own both and can tell you my personal preference, but that preference is based on my own experiences. As discussed thousands and thousands of time...there is no generic correct answer. It gets really old seeing the same responses over and over and over and over and............................................... ....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howyadoin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 PM
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSergeant View Post
A quality lightweight bolt action rifle in .223 and a decent scope. .308 if you also plan to hunt deer-size game or larger.

With stainless steel instead of blue steel.

A Smith (pre-lock) or Ruger revolver in .38/.357 and a secure holster.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need a rifle at all, especially an AR or an AK, you have made some very serious strategic mistakes that a firearm is not going to get you out of.

Unless you are just here to fantasize. If that's the case, save up for an ACOG to put on your AR. Oh, and a forward rail. You have to have a forward rail. Mine are from a company called Knights.
BS.
If you are in a situation where you have to get into a fire fight you will be better off with a semiauto with a 30rd mag. It has nothing to do with fantasy, just a simple matter of being prepared for the situation. A bolt gun does nothing a semiauto can't do. The trigger control is between your ears not the action of your rifle. My lightest BA is close to 8lbs with 5rds, my heavy AR is 9lbs with 30rds on board and my SKS is 9lbs with 20rds.

I have revolvers, milsurp bolt actions, single shot/double barrel shotguns lever actions and so on. I would not choose to leave my house in a end of the world situation with them over a proper semiauto. I also don't plan on getting into a fire fight but if I do I want to have at least a small chance to make it out, with what you are suggesting that ain't happening.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,107 Times in 9,324 Posts

Start with where you live and what you think you will do.

Do you honestly think you will have to fight off dozens of people?
Do you live in a place with numerous animal predators?
Do you plan on hunting anything bigger than coyote?
What are the chances you will be forced to evacuate suddenly (Bug Out) on foot?

In every real life crisis I've ever heard about, actual gun fights happened at very close range, with little warning, and against a small group of aggressors. The most likely weapon used in these conditions is the handgun carried on your body, not the fancy carbine lying ten steps away.

So My advice is to buy a handgun in a major power caliber. Buy the best gun, in the most powerful caliber you can shoot fast, and with confidence. Then buy a duplicate if you can.

I would not keep both your AR and your AK. Pick the one, and sell the other.
Use the money to buy a second pistol, gun leather, training, and a carry permit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
Because the title of the thread is " Trying to decide my best SHTF rifle"...but in reality it is just another AR vs. AK thread. If you're smart enough to operate a keyboard, you should be smart enough to find literally countless answers to this question. The reality is that it's personal preference and if the OP was actually proficient and using them regularly, he'd already know HIS answer. If he hasn't dedicated time to make that decision on his own...it probably won't really matter if the time comes that he actually needs this tidbit of information.
There is no correct answer and this thread will just be an endless back and forth based on most individuals own preference....which is usually dictated by what they already spent their money on. I own both and can tell you my personal preference, but that preference is based on my own experiences. As discussed thousands and thousands of time...there is no generic correct answer. It gets really old seeing the same responses over and over and over and over and............................................... ....
Then don't bother to open the thread.
If he had read and commented on a necrothread some other Richard would be there to communicate that he had ****ed up that too.
You have the ability to decide what threads are to be opened by you and which ones will not be.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Old School

Thanked 1,702 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Do you honestly think you will have to fight off dozens of people?

In every real life crisis I've ever heard about, actual gun fights happened at very close range, with little warning, and against a small group of aggressors.

The most likely weapon used in these conditions is the handgun carried on your body, not the fancy carbine lying ten steps away.

So My advice is to buy a handgun in a major power caliber. Buy the best gun, in the most powerful caliber you can shoot fast, and with confidence. Then buy a duplicate if you can.

Pick the one, and sell the other.

Use the money to buy a second pistol, gun leather, training, and a carry permit.
Well said.
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstSergeant For This Useful Post: