Now That I Live at my Bug Out Location - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug Out Bag Test Ideas?? Lewis99 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 12-01-2017 12:48 AM
Developing Wildlife Habitat At Bug Out Location kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 01-18-2017 09:19 PM
My location (warning! large post) thewanderer92 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 11-07-2016 11:07 AM
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) at Bug Out Location 40cal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 10-23-2016 12:03 AM

Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,345 Times in 9,639 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawiscoming View Post
Will it climb a 60% hill, float across a river and have 400+ mile range on one fill up of gas?
I use my 4wd tractor to excavate dirt and gravel, move 800 lb round bales, dig nearly a thousand feet of trenching for water and power lines, lift the trusses for my pole barns, clear brush, and mow weeds.

Since I am retired, I need help getting jobs like this completed.

I do not believe the motorcycle you linked, will do any of these things.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM

Sounds great love to see some pictures of the place
Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rock View Post
Sounds great love to see some pictures of the place
When I bought the place, it was just grass and a fence. Now I decent road, water system, and a few buildings.
I have part of the pasture cross fenced, and sheep, goats, horses, and a couple of pigs grazing spring grass and clover.

I estimate I have the place about half complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	197842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	197850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	197858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	197866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	197874  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJ View Post
Congrats on your retirement and the setup you have. The only comment I would like to make at this time is it would seem, to me, that you need PEOPLE. That's a lot of land and home to try to defend, or even operate in times of peace, alone.

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP, except I'm still a couple years out from my escape to full time at the homestead. I think this point made by ChristianJ is a good one. I plan my homestead to be an oasis to sustain my family during SHTF and beyond if need be, whether that comes in my lifetime or not.

Most SHTF/WROL scenarios I've studied on would mean the need for a community of people at the homestead in order to be truly self sufficient and secure. I have about 20 families (family and vetted friends) who I've discussed SHTF with that will likely make my homestead their destination for BOL. Many here view that as bad OPSEC, and that argument could be made for sure- But for me that is a specific element of my prep plan, and a welcome and essential component. Much of my prep planning focuses on creating the infrastructure to support a group that size for the long term. My homestead will be something different for my wife and I than it might be at SHTF, but it's not impossible to plan for both functions.

FYI- before I catch too much flak- about a third of those 20 families are within my own family, and the (SHTF/WROL) homestead plan expands to about a 10 square mile radius to include a major river, farm land, defendable topography, and natural gas wells, so I don't intend to stuff those people in the barn, I mean for a broader secure community. many problems can obviously arise from such a scenario- but all those problems are still good insulation to our prosperity compared to the alternative (two people living alone in the woods).
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,648 Times in 2,758 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

We moved out to our BOL a year and a half ago. Still close enough to get to and from work, (small military town; closest city is an hour and a half away) but far enough away that we're out on the dirt roads...smallest allowed lot size is 4 acres...we have almost 5 times that, and most of the neighbors have livestock and/or are "preppers" or homesteaders.

About the only real threat we have here is wildfire; the last big one that posed the most threat came through 6 years ago this coming summer. Once I get more of the mesquite removed, though, it will reduce the risk greatly.

Agree on the tractor. I got one with a front end loader and backhoe, and it is a real workhorse. Best purchase I've made, after the property.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 5,114 Times in 1,411 Posts

You picked a great area to bug out to, Hick. Eastern Oklahoma has some really remote areas that are beautiful and sufficient for farming, etc. I've spent a lot of time in the southeastern part of the state, fishing, camping, backpacking, canoeing, etc.

Well done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 40cal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM
[96] wks to off-grid esc

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I use my 4wd tractor to excavate dirt and gravel, move 800 lb round bales, dig nearly a thousand feet of trenching for water and power lines, lift the trusses for my pole barns, clear brush, and mow weeds.

Since I am retired, I need help getting jobs like this completed.

I do not believe the motorcycle you linked, will do any of these things.
We couldn't live without our Kubota L35 at the homestead. people love those Rokon motersickles until they own one and realize the design does not provide well for longevity. We have a Cushman Trailster with a 5hp B&S and trailer that does all the Rokon will do for a 10th the price, and for decades. It doesn't float (unless you strap a Yeti to it), but I have several boats that do. If I was going to spend on a motorcycle, it would be a Motoped.

https://motoped.com/survival/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,940 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Crisis Planning, Now that I Live at my BOL

Another response to the end of the world would be to live in a remote area until the craziness burns itself out. I adopted the term Extended Wilderness Living System (EWLS) to describe the system of gear and cached supplies I believe I would need to needed to live in a remote area for six years.
I gather from this and other posts you have made, that your EWLS would be for bugging out (further) from your current homestead in a WROL scenario (ie if it were to become indefensible or be destroyed).

I have identified the same need for my own situation and have been applying resources and effort to development of a multistage fallback capability.

I would be keen to hear more about your EWLS (within the limits of OPSEC of course).
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Nice looking area and set up,I like the buildings you have out there. I too live at my BOL out in the country on a lake but the wife and I just took it a step farther,we close on 12.7 acres of land this Thursday and it's going to be our other BOL, Saturday we will be bringing our camper out there and hooking up a few solar panels being there is no power,water/well(the south property line is a clear running stream that I'll use for basic water needs) and no septic but these are things we will address as time goes on and it's farther off from the main roads. Our plan is a 35x40 shop and a one level 3 bedroom home with no basement just a area for the furness and water heater under the home,we are invested in goats,pigs,chickens and cattle with a few other peppers so no need for that but we will be putting in another garden. I'll post a couple pics when we get the camper out there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ranger56528 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 02:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,817 Posts

I stand by what I said early on:

By definition, you CANNOT be full time living at your BOL. If you are, you have simply moved to a remote primary residence and now need a secondary location as your new BOL.

The purpose of a BOL, by its very definition, is to be a place to bug out to when staying in your primary residence or location is not survivable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,940 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post

By definition, you CANNOT be full time living at your BOL. If you are, you have simply moved to a remote primary residence and now need a secondary location as your new BOL.

The purpose of a BOL, by its very definition, is to be a place to bug out to when staying in your primary residence or location is not survivable.
From the time that HI bought his current homestead to when he moved there full time, by your definition it was his bug out location.

I suppose you could forgive him for still referring to it as a BOL (even if just for old times sake).

It is clear from his first post in this thread (and many of his posts in other threads) that he understands and accepts that there are many scenarios that may require him to bug out from there - so that puts him well ahead of the many homesteaders on these boards that think their homestead (that they describe as a BOL) is as far away from trouble as they will ever need to be - even though in reality, it is not.

I do not live full time at my farm so perhaps I should refer to it as my BOL.....but since my cattle do live there full time, they should refer to it as the farm.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawiscoming View Post
Will it climb a 60% hill, float across a river and have 400+ mile range on one fill up of gas?
I seriously doubt it.
And it does not NEED to have those capabilities.

It is a freaking TRACTOR.

Not everything you own HAS to be about survivalism.
I own a "Big screen TV" and lots of DVD's.
I also have hawaiian shirts, a santa hat, a 5" tablet, Guitars & Amps, Music CD's, computers, a toy firetruck and ambulance collection....

Because some things are just for FUN.
And a funless, boring, "existence".... is a LIFE WASTED.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

You need a POND or water source.

Looking at your place, and the "fauna", I would suggest that you look into AG sprinkler system in case of wildfire.
Something you could put out in a couple hours time to WET the entire house and barns and area around them.

Plenty of info on such systems and how they have saved homes.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post

I have always been more interested in moving to a more survivable area, building a sustainable homestead, and hardening it to survive the most likely threats, than worrying about terminology.

I am far too busy building it, to worry what others might choose to call it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
I gather from this and other posts you have made, that your EWLS would be for bugging out (further) from your current homestead in a WROL scenario (ie if it were to become indefensible or be destroyed).

I have identified the same need for my own situation and have been applying resources and effort to development of a multistage fallback capability.

I would be keen to hear more about your EWLS (within the limits of OPSEC of course).
If things get so bad that I can no longer continue to live at my ranch, I plan to evacuate to the shore of a very large reservoir, accessible by small fishing boat.

This area has a lot of fish, turtles, deer, hogs, small game, and hardwood nuts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,529 Times in 4,614 Posts

Livin at the BOL can be a full time job.

Senseless tractor pic

Spent a lil time cleaning out the bridge yesterday to get ready for the rains that are a coming... Damn Beavers
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,162 Times in 1,604 Posts

Congratulations on retirement and your new home. Here's a couple of suggestions for you:

First off, like John Donne wrote, "No Man is an Island". Now that you are home, if you haven't done so, make a concerted effort to become part of the community. Churches, VFW, Elks, Shooting/Hunting Clubs and especially Ham Radio and (non-crazy) Prepper Groups could all be good resources for you.

Get to know people and have some fun doing it. Volunteer and contribute to the community. No need to violate OPSEC, but don't be the paranoid survival guy either.

Gas Prices and Car Trouble.

New cars that are shiny and have lots of gadgets basically suck for survival. You want simple and easy to work on 4x4 vehicles. Pre-electronic diesels are your best bet. Manuals are great, unless you hate them, then get a non-electronic automatic transmission. Get some comforts like air-conditioning, etc. no need to "Mad Max" everything, simple luxury is O.K..

If you have the cash, get a vehicle built and restored to your specs, just don't load it up with electronics. You want any electronics to be accessories and not integral to the operation of the vehicle.

Have a good tool/repair kit on-board the vehicle to take care of foreseeable emergencies. An emergency belt(s), snow chains, hi-lift jack and good duct tape, etc., etc. Extra oil, trans fluid, 5 gallons of drinking water that can go in the radiator if necessary and 5 gallons of diesel fuel, both in good, real metal military jerry cans.

If you have a generator at your home or a back-up generator at your home, I recommend diesel, as you can use the same fuel for your vehicle as well as your house. If you already have a big propane tank on site to support cooking, heating power generation, etc. then a dual fuel gasoline propane vehicle may be better choice than a diesel for you. Propane is very common and if vehicle fuel is not around, propane will likely still be available. In any event you have two options.

Communications

You have a cellular phone, get a cellular extender for your vehicle. They are not cheap, but will provide you with extra range over a conventional cellular phone. You can also get a satellite phone too, they are much cheaper now and you can pre-pay the minutes.

Get a HAM Radio non-code license and a good radio for the home and vehicle. learn to use it. Join a HAM Radio club if you can. Repeater networks are all over the place and the ranges can be quite long.

A small radio that gets shortwave and weather bands is good to have too. Either at home, in a bug out bag or both.

Although an EMP could render all this useless, it might happen 100 years after you're dead. so don't sweat it, you can't control, what you can't control. SAT Phones and HAM radios could save your bacon today; flat tire, medical emergency, robbers, etc.

Immediate Physical Danger.

Large Forest Fires, Floods, a Major Storm are going to be area and building/site specific. Your needs are going to vary compared to others, so I can't comment.

Physical Attack by the local meth heads is something I can comment on. Your best bet is to do a search on this site and the internet for "Rhodesian Farm House". Forget about the landmines and C4 and focus on the layered defenses, sandbags in the walls and lights, security fences, etc.

What you will find is that the goal is to make a soft target, a harder target and do it on a reasonable budget in a way that keeps your home a home. The design of the defenses is to allow a lone farmer or even their children to hold off a large group of armed men, until the police/army arrive.

The keys are to cause the attacker to be delayed and forced into an exchange of gunfire with a farmer shooting from behind hard cover at attackers in the open.. The attackers are either forced to expose themselves in order to fire or advance toward the house.

Reliable communication is key, as given enough time, any defenses can be overcome. The Rhodesians pioneered the Agri-Alert System that used radios, sirens and even signal rockets to alert the Police and neighboring farmers that a farm was under attack. This was pre-cellular phone, so radio was king here.

Loosing the House.

Bugging Out = Becoming a Homeless Refugee for most folks and is the last option you should consider. A get Home Bag, might be more of what you need.

You might be able to kill two birds with one stone here; if you have the means and the ability to construct a hidden bunker on your existing property, near your home, that might be best.

In the event that fire, flood or man destroys your home, being able to walk over to your back-up house/bunker is a way better option than traveling somewhere far away. Now if for some reason a hostile group sets fire to your home, while you are inside it. It might be nice to have an escape tunnel that leads to your nearby bunker. Just saying.

You don't need luxury, just the ability to stay warm dry and hidden from view. being able to eat, drink, sleep, pee and poop are the minimums. If you have power and tons of water and supplies and radio logical/biological protection, that's great too. Like everything in life, its about time and money.

If you go this route, do yourself a favor and get professional help building a bunker. Most I have seen are nasty, wet, leaky death traps. Don't do that to yourself. Do it right or do something else.

Loosing our Society.

No one can predict the future and no one can prep for everything. having the ability to feed and care for yourself and your family for 6 to 12 months is a really good start. Most people are not that prepared. Food in the cities is going to last 30 days in the event of a collapse and most people will be dead inside of 12 months in the event of a total collapse.

What happens after that, no one knows. Being part of a community and being prepared are all good steps that will help you if/when civilizations collapses. It may never happen or it could happen next week.

Have fun, enjoy your new home. Do what you can, enjoy life, go to Disneyland or on a Cruise.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mauser6863 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Hunter

Camper on new property,tucked way back in and out of sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02DDF9B9-D407-414A-A07E-487365F82F8C.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	235202  
The Following User Says Thank You to ranger56528 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Hunter

Looks different now then that pic but that’s as much as I’ll show, I’ve done other things to the property this summer,I did mow a area around the camper to help keep the pests down, there is a fox den about 12 yards left of the camper in the trees/brush and I believe they are doing a good job on the smaller pest, I’ve caught a lot of deer and a few yotes on my cameras so I know it’s holding wildlife as long as I don’t do to much to disturb the land, I have caught some Bass,Northern and pan fish out of my creek so that’s a plus....
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,539 Posts

We are in the same position you are , live in a rural area about an hour away from the nearest city and it;s a small one. I just try to limit the times we have to go there by shopping once a month ( what are the odds of a EMP exactly on the day and during that time? Probably not that great) .
We have no fires around here ( very wet) , so I don't worry about natural disasters too much .
We do have a prison in the area but we have been told nobody has escaped from there in like 30 years, plus they most likely would try to get away and not hike up our mountain I would hope. But if they do, dogs will warn us and we are armed.

My biggest worry is my kids. One drives into town and hour away every day to go to college. The other one still lives in Florida. But there is nothing I can do about it, they are young and want to live their lives, and not just live here in the middle of nowhere and be farmers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post: