Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building A Prepping Library AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 5 02-01-2018 08:19 PM
Smith & Wesson Fire Striker With Survival Kit (SWFS1) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 11:14 AM

Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 AM

Default Hunters the best at wilderness survival?

Advertise Here

Who else spends more time at risk of a true wilderness survival scenario? Are hunters inherently the best wilderness survivalists?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 03:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,687 Times in 6,395 Posts

If you intend first world modern persons. Probably not , though as always there would be some exceptions. Generally modern hunting is get up out of bed, go from the house/cabin/ tent. To some sort of breakfast, ride to the stand which may be heated. Wait, harvest, field dress, transport to the processor and pick up in a couple weeks. there are exceptions to this and varying degrees of participation and skill.

Maybe some of the subsistence hunters/fisher/gatherers in Alaska would qualify. But very few of us would qualify at the level of Otzi, or even the long hunters of yore.

I met a biologist that goes deep into Yellowstone and Glacier NPs and studies Grizzlies in the field from April -late September she had supplies airlifted or pack trained in and waste carried out . she said she wouldn't the 6 months and she studies how large omnivores survive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 AM
Prepared

Not majority of hunters i know
Few venture more than 20 yards from a trail, need every walmart gizmo to be effective, will trample over multiple wild edibles to get to their stand
And Without laws/regs they would wipe out their own food source as they have in the past
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Terasec For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 AM
in the woods

Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,191 Posts

Knowing how to navigate, (a survival skill), keeps hunters from getting lost and needing to use other survival skills in the first place..

More of an individual determination if someone is a survivor. Being a hunter doesn't make someone a survivalist.
The Following User Says Thank You to dude For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM
American made

Quote:
Who else spends more time at risk of a true wilderness survival scenario?
I think maybe those who teach survival by leading small groups out into the wilderness would be your best example.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,773 Times in 3,371 Posts

Nope....most hunters I know...have no clue about survival skills. Even hunting skills at that.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts

In this day and age, at least in modern civilizations, the only folks that I'd define as survivalists are those that set out to be. All the hunters I know are the type that have already been described above, spending only as much time outside as is necessary to make the round trip to their preferred spot and wait for the game to appear. Most recreational hikers and campers are going to/through parks along marked and (usually) maintained trails, with some manner of modern technology to aid in navigation, food prep, water filtration, etc. As I see it, only those who actually want to survive in the manner usually described on this forum will do so.

Now, if you are talking about indigenous people in remote areas with little or no exposure to modern technology and methods, then primitive survival is part of daily life, as well as in parts of the world where economic malaise or war have reduced the availability of previously common items, ala Venezuela. There you have survival with more emphasis on protecting you and yours against two-legged threats.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

It depends a lot on their style of hunting and where they hunt.
People that hunt out of a backpack in Alaska are a different breed than deer hunters in a deer camp in PA.

There are some great outdoor people in many different disciplines. Hunting guides, mule packers, backpackers, and anyone that makes a living out there usually have some pretty good skills.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,387 Times in 7,144 Posts

Old School off-grid gold Prospectors are well known to be survivors.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:38 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,039 Posts

Many eastern woodland hunters would be hard pressed to survive for very long. Most think they will just walk out or someone will come and get them. I know some who don't even carry matches or carry a compass.

My outdoor training and experiences have taught me not to take things for granted. Unless I am with others and we are "not far from the truck" I always have some items on my person to: make fire; make a small shelter; have a small pot; some food and water; flashlights and small first aid kit. I hunted in Maine in some "less inhabited areas". I was told: "If you get lost do not head north. The next road is about a hundred miles of thick woods away".

Now I don't hunt there. I do hunt in the south and am always with family and "not far from the truck".

I would have a hard time finding private areas as big as we have to hunt with a big white tail population. We are talking thousands of acres of "private property". The local police keep and eye on it and enforce the laws because they hunt it too.

No most hunters in populated areas have limited ability to take care of themselves for more than a few days if they are lucky.

Having winter backpacking experience and scouting skills along with time in the field has taught me many good lessons.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:39 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Some of the best I have met are exploration geologists. They are out all the time and travel everywhere including out of the country. Places like Argentina, Indonesia, and Guana.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,058 Times in 4,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
It depends a lot on their style of hunting and where they hunt.
People that hunt out of a backpack in Alaska are a different breed than deer hunters in a deer camp in PA.
Location and type of hunting significantly impact the skills of the hunter. Where I grew up, we ranged anywhere from 10-12 miles a day, sometimes spending the night with minimal gear and often miles from a camp or a vehicle. What I've found here in Georgia, is that most hunters are less than 50 yards from their vehicle or four-wheeler and the only skill they need to master beyond the trigger is how not to fall out of their deer stand. It's worlds apart from how I grew up hunting.

I would be willing to bet that more than 90% of active hunters are no more skilled in the outdoors than the typical car camper.

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,278 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthedog View Post
Who else spends more time at risk of a true wilderness survival scenario? Are hunters inherently the best wilderness survivalists?
No. But most of the hunters are good at shooting stuff. Survival in the wilderness depends on a host of skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to workquik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,680 Times in 2,840 Posts

Most hunters i know arent great at survival. Many get lost , they use hunting as a drunken adventure outdoors , and most just road hunt . Some are excellent outdoorsmen but so are some people that just go out and hike in the bush.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,393 Times in 1,492 Posts

Nope. Most of the hunters I know can barely make it from the truck to the tree stand without risking cardiac arrest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,911 Times in 1,313 Posts

it may have been said already but I think trappers would do good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workquik View Post
No. But most of the hunters are good at shooting stuff. Survival in the wilderness depends on a host of skills.
Actually, many hunters either never or seldom shoot anything except targets. I know many deer hunters who've hunted for years and still have yet to kill their first deer.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following User Says Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,172 Times in 334 Posts

I would think trappers would be a better choice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kraigwy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
PPG flyer

Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,402 Posts

Most hunters,no way.
A old lady thats takes daily walks in the park,would last longer than the average hunter in the wilds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:49 PM
Fly it Northward

I have guided hunters for 20 years in remote (fly in) locations. I'm always amazed how many of them have little or no bush skills (at least 60% of them). Many can't dress properly, can't light a fire, can't use natural formations such as creeks or ridge lines to navigate, can't estimate how much daylight remains, can't...well, you get the idea.

Maybe they know they don't have a strong skill set and that's why they use a guide? They sure rely heavily on the guide for many "bush basics!!"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to northernguy For This Useful Post: