BOL Game / Security Camera - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North Dakota Pipeline Protests Altarboy General Discussion 395 03-08-2017 08:42 PM
Come Celebrate with Camera Land and Swarovski gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 10-18-2016 02:47 PM
Choosing a BOL with water and food resources in terms of population chuck duster Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-08-2016 05:45 PM
Winners Chosen - Next Drawing is November 2nd for Camera Land Gift Cards gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 10-08-2016 09:43 AM

Old 11-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Default BOL Game / Security Camera

Advertise Here

Looking to put up a couple game cams at the cabin.

Not looking to spend a fortune. Any recommendations on game cams for BOL security?

I had a couple people recommend this camera, decent for the price they say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primos-Truth...EAAOSwcLxYGen6

But looking for more input.

Thanks-
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM

No one has any experience to share using trail cams for security purposes?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Target Shooter

Not sure about game cameras, we hard wired in hi def cameras all around the BOL as we built it. It's HUB is in a secure room with monitors and hooked to the internet to send us motion alerts or allow us to view cameras remotely. The cameras we got are amazing, you can see even bugs flying around clearly on them. It also backs up to two separate DVRs that hold about a few weeks worth of storage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 PM

Good prepper, sounds like a nice effective setup.

My BOL is off the grid, so I'm limited to trail cameras.

I don't think a trail camera is going to stop a burglary, but it would give me a little more peace of mind to know if there were any two legged trespassers on my land.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,293 Times in 4,295 Posts

you might be able to use something like netgear arlos + a wifi hotspot
Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,873 Times in 5,879 Posts

Get a couple solar panels, a good battery, and a powered surveillance system. Everything you need runs on 12v so such a system would work very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,260 Times in 7,842 Posts

If you are going to leave the cameras for several weeks unattended, look for ones that have a cable lock system.

Something where you can use a cable or chain and lock it to a tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,589 Posts

I have no personal experience with trail cams, but in remote areas I know people who put cameras on their cameras. We had an incident here about a year ago with some stealing cameras. Got very good pictures of them both!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,803 Times in 726 Posts

We got one due to our wacked out neighbor. We are taking her to court over her dog running loose and being a nuisance / threat. Had people at 2 different outdoor shops recommend a Moultrie unit. I'll have to look for the model number. Found it on sale at bass pro for 99.00, regular 160.00 at both places. I have it mounted about 10 feet up in a tree covering our driveway and part of our front yard. Put a 32 gig SD card in it and pull it about once a week and run it thru the computer. You can also get a wireless set up for it running about 200.00 more.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:57 AM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,873 Times in 5,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I have no personal experience with trail cams, but in remote areas I know people who put cameras on their cameras. We had an incident here about a year ago with some stealing cameras. Got very good pictures of them both!
I started my system with two cameras; one pointed one direction and the other pointed in the opposite directly. The thieves came up between the two, used a ladder I had left outside because I didn't have anywhere else to store it, and climbed up and cut the cables.

Now I have close to 20 cameras and every camera has at least one other camera with close up view of it. I use very high-quality, high-resolution cameras for all choke points or entry points with wider view cameras, still excellent resolution and quality, for other spaces. Everything records to multiple recorders on- and off-premise. You can't get in without having your picture stored on my web server.

Of course the whole thing is easily defeated with a 99 cent ski mask. It's a deterrent but that's it.

I had a breakin in my truck at my in-town apartment where I had high-resolution video of the thieves. The police didn't even want the video. They weren't interested in using it. An administrative assistant to the chief returned a call I left from when I was first trying to get non-emergency response and when I spoke to her and told her that the responding officer and his supervisor wouldn't even look at the video, let alone take a copy, she was pretty upset and spoke to the chief. I got a call from a detective the next day and I delivered a video to him but never heard another word even though I also gave him the names of the two thieves - I had gone door to door with snapshots from the cameras until I got the thieves identified.

Point is, do all you can do but if the police won't follow up, cameras are pointless other than as a deterrent. Get a good fence and a couple dogs.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:23 PM

I've had great results with StelthCam trail cameras - sportsman's guide has the units I use on sale http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-kit?a=2051869

Hope that helps.