Old guy just ordered a Kindle book reader. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 11-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 43,121 Times in 10,079 Posts
Default It's too late now but ...

Advertise Here

... an Android tablet is much more flexible and does the same thing (and much more) as a Kindle. Plus you don't need to convert your other e-book files to Kindle as they read them directly. I have tons of PDF maps, books, manuals, and so forth all on my tablets.

You can download the same book to multiple devices such as tablet, phone, desktop for one price.

I don't know if the Kindle is storage expandable, but most Android tablets are.

If you already buy from Amazon, you can download Kindle books. Many are free, many are cheap, some are the same price as paperback. You can also download magazines.

I use a refillable VISA debit card to do all my online purchases so my real bank account is not "out there".
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,963 Posts

There are kindle e readers and kindle fires. The fire is a tablet but software modified to be an amazon platform. On sale you can get them for $35. I actually like the smaller cheaper lighter version better. Disadvantage is hours battery life vs weeks for e reader.

Storage is on the cloud, free. The reader itself can hold thousands of books but audio books take a lot of space, just a few, say 3, can fill it up.

Amazon in the past has offered special deals on prime and kindle unlimited around this time of year.

You can read PDF files but its a pain because of page sizing issues. Best to convert or use a computer.

Check out bookbub for free books.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,411 Times in 10,116 Posts

I haven't got my Kindle yet but using Calibre I D/L my first E-Book (Irish Fairy Tales) from Project Gutenberg. Fascinating how the process works. Impressive program to use for acquiring books and converting formats.

I can see I am in for many hours of exploration and adventure. Thanks all who helped me with this stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:

Old 11-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Officer Friendly

Thanked 2,394 Times in 697 Posts

I bought a kindle paper white a couple years back and I honestly don't know how I lived this long without it. The battery lasts forever and you can buy a solar charger to take with you.

It's small, lightweight and great for reading on the go. Since the screen is backlit, it's also great for reading in bed.

The digital copies of books are also a little cheaper than the physical copy so you can save some cash if you read a lot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twilight For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Climate change advocate

I got the Kindle in the mail this Afternoon. Boy am I glad I had some help before getting it. The device comes with no written instructions other than a small piece of paper showing the on switch location and the charging location. It does not even explain that you need to push the on switch for 7 seconds.

Once it starts up it is not immediately intuitive how you should operate it. Especially so for someone like me that has never owned a touchscreen interface before. I had a deuce of a time looking for how to enter my Hotspot's password and found my old hands not all that good at picking out the proper letters and numbers. I finally got the Wi-fi working and it went through several Amazon do you want things (no) that I hope my screen tapping skills accomplished ok. If not I expect the bills to come rolling in.

After getting to the home screen I found the operators manual and started reading. It is a long manual, and I have not finished it, but I think I have enough knowledge to be dangerous, so I than attempted to load a couple of books that I have D/L with Calibre onto my desktop computer.

Connecting to my Linux computer was flawless with the USB cable. After starting Calibre I could than select on the books and load them onto the Reader. I than disconnected the Kindle and was able to open the books and begin reading. I am now able to read my first E-book! Huzah!

I am sure that there is much more I need to learn about actual operation and various better methods. But it is a start. All in all I think it would be rather intimidating to someone new to computers and/or smart phone usage. Maybe some of the younger folks could help out a older relative as a Holiday gift.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 43,121 Times in 10,079 Posts

Don't forget the maps. Tons of PDF format maps out there for free. I think USGS has opened up for free downloads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,963 Posts

Very easy to get 1000s of free cheap books. Best to try to organize them and things like recipes, maps, instructions into files. I wish I had.
I've got a ton of files.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 03:15 AM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,951 Times in 3,861 Posts

I am like you and old timer who loves to read.

I can go through up to 6-8 books a week depending.

I do agree with Lagnar that I would have recommended an Android tablet as it allows you to do so much more. I hardly touch my desk top or lap top computers anymore, I just don't need to.

But once you get the hang of it you are going to LOVE it.

I take my tablet every where and read great books whenever I want.

Really cool thing about my Kindle Unlimited is that over time it recognizes your reading preferences and then recommends books for you. Often times ones you wouldn't have anticipated you might love.

I used to force myself to finish books even if they were bad.
Now if I get part way through and I don't like it I just discard it and grab another.

For avid readers like us it is candy land!
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Climate change advocate

Now that I have had the Kindle for awhile and used it there are a few things that I find. For one the touch screen interface is difficult for me to operate. For some reason my fingers do not always cause a action to happen. I have solved this by getting a touchscreen stylus. It is a huge difference. With the stylus I can easily pick things and change the page whereas with my fingers I could not.

One other issue I have is with the "feel" of the device while reading. For someone used to holding a book in one hand while reading, the feel of holding the kindle is not as comfortable. I suspect if they had used a more rubberized case rather than hard plastic it would have helped. Not easy for old dogs to learn new tricks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,222 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Now that I have had the Kindle for awhile and used it there are a few things that I find. For one the touch screen interface is difficult for me to operate. For some reason my fingers do not always cause a action to happen. I have solved this by getting a touchscreen stylus. It is a huge difference. With the stylus I can easily pick things and change the page whereas with my fingers I could not.

One other issue I have is with the "feel" of the device while reading. For someone used to holding a book in one hand while reading, the feel of holding the kindle is not as comfortable. I suspect if they had used a more rubberized case rather than hard plastic it would have helped. Not easy for old dogs to learn new tricks.
They make many rubberized cases for tablets, the kindle included. You can run a search and find just about any kind or color.

The tablets we use at work have a protective cover over the screen. The cases that I use for my personal tablets do not have that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MS45 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,093 Times in 577 Posts

I have a case like that on my iPad. Very generic style, pretty much every device has one like that. Screen cover has nice fake leather texture underneath, it offers nice grip when I read something.

Another option could be a really thin "fake leather" cover that adds minimum possible bulk but decent grip.

Can't point at any specific case/cover because there is so many different Kindle models.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Having heard about these Electronic readers for some time
People have mentioned that you can get free books to read on the Kindle. How is that done? It would be nice have some new reading material since I have read most of my real book collection over enough times the bindings are falling apart. I used to be a big library user when I was younger but when gas cost got too high I stop visiting the Library.

Any information and tips for me to make use of the E-reader when it shows up would be much welcome. I would hate to have spent $80 for a electronic version of a table leg prop. I have much to learn which is no longer as easy as it used to be.

One of the best moves would be to go to www.bookbub.com and get on their daily mailing list. They offer free books daily and if you see a book you like then just click on it and you will be taken to Amazon where if it's free you're golden. Click on the deal and it gets delivered to your Kindle. Most books are pretty cheap that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fencible39 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Hunter

I went thru those free books, ended up getting almost 40 of them from Amazon. I'll be ready if I ever have time to read
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 16,624 Times in 5,696 Posts

There's a reason free books are free. Like everything on the Innertubes, if it's free, YOU are the product.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
There's a reason free books are free. Like everything on the Innertubes, if it's free, YOU are the product.
Many of them were #1 of a longer series. It makes perfect sense, if I like the first one why not buy the rest of them...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,622 Posts

+ 1,000 on the Paperwhite
The "Blue Light" from tablets is smoking peoples' eyes.
The white light is directed across the page
Color graphics are out, but then I will use tablet or computer if needed
For reading, best thing since sliced bread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:23 PM

Kindle has a help line: 866 321 8851. Also get a teenager or your or some else's grandchild to help you. I ask my grandkids or ask around @ church. Good luck. I am in my third kindle and they are great!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Trapper

A little info for you all that have kindle paper white readers. I just took my sons apart trying to save it after it had coffee spilled in it. They are not easy to take apart but once inside the device I found some interesting things. All of the chips are shielded with some heavy duty metal cages. They should be fairly resistant to EMP. They are really over built. I would have no qualms with keeping my SHTF library on one in my pack.