Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
Should I ever move back to NY ? Plasma1010 New York 51 07-12-2017 02:59 PM
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 11:57 AM
Hunting in Grizz country Wilderdood Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 81 10-13-2016 01:56 PM

Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmorgan View Post
I was a martial arts instructor for many years, so I feel compelled to offer my suggestions..
No offense, but your suggestions will get her killed.

...unless she hardens her mind and practices to proficiency.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Sgt. Oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl51 View Post
Go get some krav maga training and learn to use your bodies natural weapons in a brutal and very effective way.
THIS right here....^^^^^^^^^
Then go get SD weapons.

I get it that circumstances always differ....you can be having a nice dinner with a "nice" guy...who lulls you into a false sense of security who then suddenly turns into an animal instantly catching you off guard or similar. Weapons will do you no good at that point. You have to be able to disable the attacker if for but an instant allowing you to distance yourself allowing time to get your weapon(s).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexicon5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 06:09 PM

I've been hit with two different types of stun-guns. One was an actual police Tazer(BIL is a cop, used it on stun mode) and the other was a normal civilian type. Stun is a misnomer. They don't stun you, they just hurt. And I was able to fight through the pain. I had a guy latch onto my shoulder with his teeth. My first instinct was to punch him in the solar plexus. Knocked the wind out of him and he let go. Granted it wasn't my nose, but I'd anything that would just **** me off more(bc I'd be disfigured). Two things that have stopped me; An elbow to the Adam's Apple, and pepper spray/mace. Both those made it basically impossible to breathe, and the mace wasn't even a direct hit. Problem was, the guy that maced me was too close and he got a big whiff.
I don't have any great advice. I just always have two knives and try to pay attention to the people around me. And I don't go to parties anymore...

Old 10-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Take a JuJitsu class for 4-5 years.

I'm fairly good at it. There is an 18 year old girl in the class. She weighs maybe 100 lbs. I'm 180 and have abs. She can take me every time. I have yet to have her tap once. It makes me crazy.

Jujitsu seems like it is almost a magic power. It is a tremendous leveler of size and strength.

That said, I also recommend carrying a knife and a gun wherever you go. It's a nutter world.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluetone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM

Also agree with the advice to take Krav Maga.

JuJitsu is fantastic if you end up on your back - but on the street you want to avoid going there if possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluetone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Soft spots and pressure points eyes and throat are my favorites. If the person is bigger/stronger and is on top of you pull him/her close don't let them get leverage on their hits.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMonk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Living the dream:-)

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
Would a guy with a CCW let himself be "pinned" to the ground as you say? Do not assume that a woman will either. Also do not assume that my wife can not get to either her mace or her CCW before you can put her in a choke hold. AND, she knows how to apply both quickly and, this is important, with confidence.

In any situation, being knocked out as you describe again, will be all she wrote for anyone.
Not even just pinned, a jammed gun due to a struggle multiple attackers. Cross draw if that's how someone carried, could disable your draw hand. Blind sided and taken down. Small of the back or 6 o'clock carry are all things that leave your gun in accessable, I was pushed in my front door and choked I couldn't reach my weapon but thumbs to the eyes ended the attack almost instantly. .just my experiences. Unarmed defense is a must. also what I posted below some times it just is a bad day. Or someone is on some heavy drugs. Weapons don't help
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
Some great advice posted so far.
I carry a gun. Always.
But that does not guarantee anything. Neither does a knife or hairpin or baton or pepper spray.
Being aware of your surroundings is of paramount importance but focused attackers may still succeed.
I love martial arts but don't feel that is always the best either. We prefer more of the "use what ya got" program.
If someone is harming you, harm them more. As the krav instructor said, unleash a torrent of overwhelming counter violence.
Many victims don't fight back. Overwhelm your attacker. It's not a boxing match. Smash their temple with your iPhone if you have to. Fight dirty.
Go for the attackers soft tissue.
Thumbs in their eyes
Twist their ear off
Bite until they black out from pain
Throat and Adam's apple jabs
Pull their hair until it comes out of their scalp
Anything along these lines buys you some time. And do not simply poke their eye and stick around. Jab the eye, knee their crotch, downward strike their jaw bone, do anything you must, then run to safety.
I am a true believer in making one's mind up for success. That is applicable to all things in life whether business, family, or self defense.
As you have heard, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.
+1 on this right here. Krav maga from a reputable institution is amazing. In a street fight there is no fair fight and you need to be aware to avoid that fight but if you get there use any means at your disposal to stop the fight as quick as possible. After surgery I'm going to be taking more krav maga training. It's a real world application for ending a fight.
I will also agree BJJ GRAP. On bites do have an inheritant danger of contracting blood borne pathogens. But to the attacker it is going to suck. When I was bit I was told to take these horse pills, the doctor in the ER told me pretty much 99.9% of human bites get infected, I lost a piece of my arm in the mix. But I was over powered, along with 3 other people because the guy was on some serious drugs. A baton, Taser used twice, and punches and this guy broke an officers arm, bit me, and still was trying to get an officers gun. Some times it's just a bad situation, 4 on one and we held this guy in a stale mate. I later found out after the guy was also shot in the ass the through the hand with a 22. He was armed with a hammer and pipe.i ended up elbows down covered in blood.

Last edited by Gva; 10-09-2016 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: More information
Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 PM
1, 2, 3 - HAM I am!!

Location: in a house...sometimes, someone's else house...other times, contracted house made of tarp or canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva View Post
This I something that'll do some damage and it's hard to be taken from you. The s&w hrt neck knife, has a belt clip too. I like the TDI it's definitely a quality knife, I want to get one just for the small size.. I have the neck knife for now. . Also I carry a Kershaw blur as my edc knife. Fast, and sharp, great customer service too.
That's one mean looking little sucker. Found a knock off on fleabay for 4 bucks. Might be cheap but if it breaks, I hope to leave the broken blade on the bastard that decides to mess with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Propofol For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Target Shooter

The op didn't give enough information to get a proper answer. This could have been a sorority party and a drunk fat girl pushed her down and sat on her chest. That hardly calls for biting off body parts or blowing her brains all over the campus. It could have also be an actual assault by a person intent on doing her real harm, but we don't know.

There is no one correct answer, because there are too many variables. The best thing to do is to have as many tools in your toolbox as your lifestyle and finances allow.

1. become situationally aware whenever possible. Avoiding conflict in the first place is the best defense

2. Legally carry a weapon and learn how and WHEN to use it. Not every situation calls for a gun, and this comes from a guy who carries ALL the time

3. Learn some type of unarmed self defense. Start now. I'm an MMA/BJJ guy and I guess I'm biased towards that. I know this may start a which art is better war, but arts like krav maga are not practical as you really can't spar those super deadly moves I hear about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fivepak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,191 Times in 476 Posts

I would suggest you figure out why long fingernails are NOT just a fashion statement...
The Following User Says Thank You to ISS For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 11:37 PM

Thanked 5,726 Times in 1,539 Posts

She hasn't read most of these posts. She started the thread with her first post yesterday, hasn't made any other post and hasn't been on the board since 30 minutes after making the post.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 11:58 PM
Cool dude

Thanked 1,612 Times in 513 Posts

This needs to be done in a fast, explosive fashion. Grab their hair at the back of their head with your weak hand. Put your strong hand under their chin and push while pulling their hair. This will twist their head. As they turn, plant your strong side foot flat on the ground and push up with your hips. Roll on top and (depending on the situation) you can bang their head on the ground, punch, head butt, knee to groin or get up and run.

A variation is to wrap your arm around the back of their head and grab the chin. Pull with that hand and push the chin with the other hand while planting one foot and pushing up with the hips to roll them over. This is a stronger move, but they need to have their head close to yours to pull it off.

If they are too far away for you to reach the back of their head throw quick punches or scratches to their face until they duck their head and close up to protect themselves. Then try it again.

Try it on a friend a few times to get a feel for it. The number one reason why many ordinary women are worse at fighting than ordinary men is not a lack of strength, but a lack of aggression. If you are fighting, even play fighting, be AGGRESSIVE! No technique will work if it's not done with aggression. I can't stress that enough.

Ground fighting is highly technical, highly dynamic and this probably won't work on someone whose trained in it. Brazillian Ju Jitsu (BJJ) is the authority on ground fighting if you genuinely want to learn how to fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propofol View Post
That's one mean looking little sucker. Found a knock off on fleabay for 4 bucks. Might be cheap but if it breaks, I hope to leave the broken blade on the bastard that decides to mess with me.
It's a bad*** blade. Gf got me one for Christmas a few years back, I very rarely wear it now. Since I carry a 9mm and a Kershaw blur daily. It's a good back up depending on the situation. I took off the chain and attached paracord with the inter hule taken out over my neck and left arm under my shirt as s last resort when I do carry it. I can access it with my left or right hand in almost any position. Good retention on the sheath too. I would definitely do a cord or tape wrapped handle to keep it steady in your hand. It's by far one of my favorites in small defense knifes.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3rd View Post
She hasn't read most of these posts. She started the thread with her first post yesterday, hasn't made any other post and hasn't been on the board since 30 minutes after making the post.
Wheather she comes back on or not, I think it's a good thread topic to make people think about unarmed defense. I hope she comes back and learns something but I'd not many people that search can. It's a crazy world out there. Hope she comes back on and see what's been posted. All good info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gva For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepak View Post
The op didn't give enough information to get a proper answer. This could have been a sorority party and a drunk fat girl pushed her down and sat on her chest. That hardly calls for biting off body parts or blowing her brains all over the campus. It could have also be an actual assault by a person intent on doing her real harm, but we don't know.

There is no one correct answer, because there are too many variables. The best thing to do is to have as many tools in your toolbox as your lifestyle and finances allow.

1. become situationally aware whenever possible. Avoiding conflict in the first place is the best defense

2. Legally carry a weapon and learn how and WHEN to use it. Not every situation calls for a gun, and this comes from a guy who carries ALL the time

3. Learn some type of unarmed self defense. Start now. I'm an MMA/BJJ guy and I guess I'm biased towards that. I know this may start a which art is better war, but arts like krav maga are not practical as you really can't spar those super deadly moves I hear about.
I absolutely agree with #1 for everyone.

#2 it's very important for OP to know When to use a weapon or rip something off someone.

#3 krav maga can be sparred just at a lower power with higher level students/trainees. You can also simulate weapons with plastic beer bottles, training knives, dumbie guns, And most trainers will tell you it's better to get a bump or bruised in training then on the street. Last training me and the gf did she ended up with a baseball sized bruise on her sternum. I will agree on everyone has a favorite combative that trains. I don't want it to be overkill for OP. Any true self defense training would be great for you. Not only for confidence but gross muscle memory of whatever she chooses, same with a firearm/edges weapon she might not pick a glock/Tops but if she trains with it. It's a good thing. Be it an lcp,a cheap folder or hands it's a benefit.

Last edited by Gva; 10-10-2016 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Gva For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,111 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Concealed Carry Permit
Firearms Training by a Reputable and Certified Trainer
Practice Practice Practice

God created man. Colonel Colt made them equal.

Tex

PS,
Welcome to the board.
First post, best post.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,509 Times in 8,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHog1195 View Post
I purchased her a very special type of StunGun. ... She held it on him for about 6-7 seconds and when she let up he fell on the damp ground twitching as she got in her car
What brand and model was it, if you don't mind? I have never heard of a stun gun causing someone to fall to the ground and twitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Lots of good advice so far

I would also recommend the martial arts route. I would suggest Ju jitsu or judo because you are taught to use your oppenents weight and momentum against them and is very effective. You don't need to be a black belt either. Very effective defence techniques can be mastered in a matter of days or weeks (although, clearly the more you practise, the better you will get)
The Following User Says Thank You to tpk361 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Prepared

Your legs and your lower body can be much stronger then your arms and upper body, depending on your sex and personal build. Use them to your advantage. There are many self defense techniques that reach you how to defend yourself from the ground. I would also recommend carrying a good folding knife clipped inside your waistband or pocket. Go to that as soon as an attack starts or is imminent and slash and stab at anything that comes within arms reach as you are kicking at knees and shins etc. I have a niece in the same situation at school in HI. I sent her a good knife to keep on her. God help the poor sucker that tries anything on her as she is determined not to be a victim.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Yankee For This Useful Post: