Something taking new chicks out of chicken house and killing them - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grandkids built chicken house for new chicks kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 04-08-2019 07:14 AM
Taking care of new baby chicks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 2 10-19-2015 05:46 PM
Humane Chicken/Poultry Killing Device S610 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 147 08-10-2015 10:55 PM
New chicken house kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 10 09-30-2014 01:35 PM
New to chicken raising hen ate chicks? Vectorwoman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 10 08-27-2013 01:32 PM
chicken help please - bubbles from mouth (chicks) ChickPea Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 05-03-2013 09:05 PM
Mountain House Backlog - Not Taking New Orders HeartofTexas Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 03-19-2011 04:46 PM
is the white house taking names? jason1221 Polls and Surveys 6 08-13-2009 12:10 AM
feral cats killing the chicken's vt.cd21 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 28 09-03-2008 09:07 AM

Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTennWoodsman View Post
Want me to save you the next one?
Nah, heard the taste like chicken. Was a serious question though. Bury, trash, "re-cycle" in the woods?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Woodsman

Thanked 1,659 Times in 642 Posts

Of all things to wonder about. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to WestTennWoodsman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,360 Times in 9,124 Posts

We once had what must have been 3 or 4 raccoons tear the door off the chicken coop. Lost 3 hens and a rooster, but the rooster must have put up a good fight because we found a young adult coon dead beside the garage with a hole in the top of its head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Woodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
We once had what must have been 3 or 4 raccoons tear the door off the chicken coop. Lost 3 hens and a rooster, but the rooster must have put up a good fight because we found a young adult coon dead beside the garage with a hole in the top of its head.

When my coop intruder coon struck and I helped him meet Jesus with a .40s&w I was unable to remove him immediately and the next morning my hens sure enjoyed pecking at that bastard a while. Lmao

I've set up a snipers nest in the corner of my elevated front porch 50 yards from the coop complete with chair, shooting rail,1k lumens light and my AR. I spend my evenings here lately waiting and listening. I need my hens and my eggs. Coon taste pretty good too.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Woodsman

Default Something taking new chicks out of chicken house and killing them

Im sure interested to see what ole Kevs update is. What say you Kev???

I've been having coon warfare out here in half the time it's taken you to possibly get a picture. What's up? Got any chickens left?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
What's the update on this? I've been killing coons like nobody's business trying to get to my chickens.

What's the latest?
Ditto on this Kev, I'm curious to find out what nailed your chicks.

On my end, the dogs, cats and myself are waging the battle royal against rats. In addition to the previously mentioned slain rats in an earlier post, we have killed more since then.

Score: This weekend through today:
Saturday: Me - 1 rat
Sunday: Me - 1 rat, Mac (pit bull)- 1 rat
Monday: Me - 1 1/2 rat, Willie (cat) - 1/2 rat, Mac - 1 rat, Unknown dog/cat - 1 rat
Tuesday: None.

Not as glorious as the 7-9 dead rats in one day but a good days work!

Oh, and this is me running the rats down like the cats and dogs! Not bad for an old, achy-kneed old cur!

And before any of you ask, no I am not eating them!
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDogBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Woodsman

Well kev wassup? Still no update? You've visited since we asked. Inquiring minds wanna know
Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,080 Times in 3,464 Posts

Yep, I put a coon haunch on the rack under the pork loin I smoked a while ago and the drippings and hickory smoke made it right tasty, kind of peppery. I also brined it for a day before smoking it.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Woodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Something is taking my 3 month old chicks out of the house, eating the meat off the neck and killing the chicks. I found 2 of the chicks, a buff orpington and a rhode island red. Both chicks were intact, except for the neck area which had been eaten.

In the past week around 9 chicks have come up missing.

Last night I set a live trap, this morning nothing was in it.

Today, May 5, 2016, my girlfriend and I went to Circle 3 feed in Jasper Texas where we bought 16 buff orpington chick and 6 Ideal 236 chicks.

Next was a trip to tractor supply in Jasper Texas where I bought a couple of more live traps.

This evening I am going to set out 2 live traps, 2 handhold barrel traps, and 2 trail cameras around the chicken house.

Will update and post pics later.

Update 5-9-2016

Over the past several days I have set live traps out baited with sardines, peanut butter, store bought chicken and blue berries. The predator will not mess with the traps.

Going to set a foothold trap under the wall of the chicken house tonight.

Update 5-9-2016 9:04 pm central time

Trail camera and trap are setup.

What's the latest? As a laying hen guy I wanna know your results. What's the scoop?
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Cave canem

Thanked 11,111 Times in 3,864 Posts

Another idea for coop security is a baby monitor. If folks are willing to spend $ on trail cams and traps then a baby monitor might be a better investment.

If the chickens freak out in the middle of the night you will hear it and catch the culprit in the act.
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
Another idea for coop security is a baby monitor. If folks are willing to spend $ on trail cams and traps then a baby monitor might be a better investment.

If the chickens freak out in the middle of the night you will hear it and catch the culprit in the act.
A good idea and not expensive. If you don't sleep like the dead, it'll alert you.

Drifting slightly off-track, since my last post in this thread on killing rats, we've snuffed another 33 or so rats, baby rats, and the assorted mouse by hand, fang, paw and claw! This year is shaping up to be a vermin infested year. More in the past 3 months than the past 14 years!

I still say stick a trusted dog in the coop and leave it with the chickens overnight.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,693 Times in 13,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

Update 5-9-2016

Over the past several days I have set live traps out baited with sardines, peanut butter, store bought chicken and blue berries. The predator will not mess with the traps.

Going to set a foothold trap under the wall of the chicken house tonight.

Bait one of the traps with the chicken carcass -- it will be something the predator is familiar with. Sardines and peanut butter are new.

Time to repeal the 17th.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogBoy View Post
Drifting slightly off-track, since my last post in this thread on killing rats, we've snuffed another 33 or so rats, baby rats, and the assorted mouse by hand, fang, paw and claw! This year is shaping up to be a vermin infested year. More in the past 3 months than the past 14 years!
Are you going to be able to secure the coop with a floor or wire to the keep rats out? You will never win the rat battle, only reduce the numbers.

I never have rats in the hen house (solid floor); the feed dishes stay in the run and that is where the rats stay.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Master Mason

Thanked 5,654 Times in 1,665 Posts

Maybe skunks or foxes. I've got two Momma and Poppa Texas Grey Foxes living in the woods behind me.

They're FAST.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Woodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Maybe skunks or foxes. I've got two Momma and Poppa Texas Grey Foxes living in the woods behind me.

They're FAST.

Apparently we will never find out.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Apparently we will never find out.
Kev started another thread about broody hens and mentions the 2nd coop with 20 chicks in it.

I would assume (or hope?) he has secured the 2nd coop and resolved the problem since now the focus is on hens hatching out chicks.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Woodsman

That's all we can do.....assume. Lol
Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S610 View Post
Are you going to be able to secure the coop with a floor or wire to the keep rats out? You will never win the rat battle, only reduce the numbers.

I never have rats in the hen house (solid floor); the feed dishes stay in the run and that is where the rats stay.
That is going to be difficult. Two of my three coops are 10X10 dog kennels wired up with hardware cloth and chicken wire to increase the security and tarped over for shade/wind shelter. The rats are tunneling under it through solid mud on one of them and kept going till they found the weak areas.

The other 10X10 dog kennel coop was blown loose by a tornado. It's going to have to be lifted and moved onto another area with a hardware cloth floor. Might be cheaper to do cement instead.

The rats can tunnel an easy 2 feet through solid mud you cannot break with a pickaxe. I will need something that cannot be shifted for a floor. Wood rots quickly here so cement may be a better option.

The third coop, a large wooden chicken tractor that is too heavy to move on rutted, hilly ground is a lost cause. I may shift the four birds in it to another coop, tear it down, and save the good parts since the wood is starting to rot in places.

I have very little usable flat land close to the house area. This makes putting anything out in the yard more difficult, especially when it erodes rapidly during massive runoff. Being that I will retire and move in four years, it may not be worth the expense to redo the three coops. I'll take what I've learned here and make a "Fort Knox" chicken coop at the next place.

Plus it is too hot at the moment to exert myself much on the heavy lifting. I'll do that in the Fall when it cools down. Assuming I have some younger relative come visit that can help me lift the coops up so I don't blow my back out. I'll replace the bent poles on the wind-shifted coop once it's moved.

If the damaged coop was empty, I'd disassemble it, move it, and put it back together. However I need it for the seven birds that are in it. It would take me a day or two just to take off the tarps, cut loose the hardware cloth from the fencing, cut the fencing loose from the poles, shift it, and put it back together. I have zip-tied the thing together along with the aluminum ties. It is a slow process.

I have found that putting the feed off the ground, either on a table, or hanging down from the roof cuts down on the rat visits since they have to be standing up in the open. I will do that to the third coop to help with that.

At least the cats are having fun killing all night long!
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDogBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Cave canem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogBoy View Post
That is going to be difficult. Two of my three coops are 10X10 dog kennels wired up with hardware cloth and chicken wire to increase the security and tarped over for shade/wind shelter. The rats are tunneling under it through solid mud on one of them and kept going till they found the weak areas.
Oh, so there is no hen house that you lock them into at night. If that is the case it does sound pretty hopeless, I wouldn't use hardware cloth or cement on the bottom of the run (the wire will lead to foot infections when they try to scratch around).

You could put a floor in a section of the run and wire that off so it is rat proof. If you only have layers (no roosters) then any changes should incorporate all of the birds to save you on daily chores.
The Following User Says Thank You to S610 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,424 Times in 3,682 Posts

Been there before...it was a WEASEL!!! They prefer to go for the neck and head while leaving the rest. More times than not it will kill more than one bird when it comes for a visit.