Worries of your BOL.... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food 'worries' - beyond GMOs Teslin Food and water 120 12-11-2015 01:31 PM
Japan...meltdown worries??? howyadoin Manmade and Natural Disasters 16 01-02-2014 11:46 PM
No AR, No AK, No Worries maine-marine Rifle Forum 57 01-21-2013 08:36 AM
End of the world is the least of my worries iVuo General Discussion 2 09-17-2012 10:24 PM
No worries Glock755 Financial Forum 6 08-07-2011 11:03 AM
A daddy's worries.... dogsoldier0513 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 09-03-2010 11:08 PM
Here's what worries me. Uwharrie Controversial News and Alternative Politics 26 03-02-2010 03:57 PM
the swine flu is the least of our worries. bikerdruid General Discussion 2 11-25-2009 07:31 PM
Wal-Mart Worries Ramona M. Faunce Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 09-11-2009 06:23 AM

Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Worries of your BOL....

Advertise Here

I write this with curiosity. I live in West Texas not far West Texas but in a ruraul area none the less. Our BOL is located away from the major populous but is close enough to people that I worry about it. What shouldy strategy be in regards to safety? Stay out of sight and keep the wife and kids locked up in the shelter( yeah right my wife would kill me before anyone else did). What are my other options? We plan on gardening and we have a well plus solar wind and a diesel generator. All of those things attract attention. My quandry, is a permanent BOL the answer or do we need to be planning on a nomadic lifestyle?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bigred84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

Start working on passive security for your bol. Plant thorn bushes around the perimeter, make sure you have good lines of sight, night vision, and can barricade the road entrance, etc.

Next step is more active security.

A nomadic lifestyle will only be an option if there is a massive drop in population for some reason. It is not viable in this day and age. Security and resources would be way too inconsistent on the move.

Az
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,064 Times in 2,546 Posts

You are far safer staying put. Being on the move makes acquiring food, water and shelter far more difficult or even near impossible. Besides, you are always better off defending a fixed location than a spot on the open road chosen by ambushers.

asb is right. Surround your BOL with blackberry bushes. They grow fast and will deter intruders better than fences. As an added bonus they will also provide food in the summer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:

Old 04-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,147 Times in 1,074 Posts

The diesel generator:
Can it be placed in an insulated shed, with a muffler on the exhaust (which would then be vented outdoors?)
That wouldn't make it silent, and if everything else is shut down, sound will stillcarry a long ways, but maybe that distance might be reduced.
Or maybe a windmill or solar panels, which would be visible, but quiet. The panels could be mounted on stands behind a fence instead of atop the house so that while they would still be visible from the air, they would be less visible from a scout on foot.

Otherwise, yes, a permanent BOL is going to be way more self-sufficient than foraging and scavenging. You might want to use some camoflaguing(sp) to make your place stand out a little less attractive. Just a thought.

There is no 100% solution, and the billion dollar bunker is out of the question for most of us, but for your money, a rural farming setup with a few defensive tricks is probably your best bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,064 Times in 2,546 Posts

Make the most visible part of your BOL a Marine Corps flag on a pole. Nothing says stay more than 500 yards away like that will.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,619 Posts

Start making relationships with any neighbors. Over the course of time get them to think of working together defensively.

There are about 10-12 homesteads along a 7 mile stretch of road, with lots of wilderness in both directions where I'm at. Since I was the newb in the community, I started by inviting folks over for BBQs about once a month. Then discussions about guns and hunting as everyone here has guns and hunts for subsistence. Pretty soon we were shooting together for fun. Then I got them into AKs and ARs. Now several have bought there own and others are talking about it and all have talked about working together against outsiders. The community has always been very protective against outsiders but we are now working together and have more firepower than before. But it did take a couple years to get to this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,559 Times in 7,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred84 View Post
I write this with curiosity. I live in West Texas not far West Texas but in a ruraul area none the less. Our BOL is located away from the major populous but is close enough to people that I worry about it. What shouldy strategy be in regards to safety? Stay out of sight and keep the wife and kids locked up in the shelter( yeah right my wife would kill me before anyone else did). What are my other options? We plan on gardening and we have a well plus solar wind and a diesel generator. All of those things attract attention. My quandry, is a permanent BOL the answer or do we need to be planning on a nomadic lifestyle?
Phase out the noisy diesel generator and go to solar with a battery bank. Got friends? a MAG?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 56,273 Times in 18,372 Posts

Nomadic is harder\more threats\fewer resources.

For someone to get to me they would either have to cross very rough terrain which would take you a full day of hard hiking (not impossible, but I scorned "the view" in favor of being set back so my building is not visible) and have no power lines going to my property. (Assuming no google earth)

If someone's coming up the road they have several miles of steep road\4x4 trail (depending on the weather) with neighbors who will be calling ME for help before they get to me...
Old 04-17-2016, 02:44 PM

As most have said BOL good, being a nomad or refugee Bad.

Lots of threads and info on this forum and around the net on how to make a BOL safe, defensible and even a great place to vacation and live.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:15 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,554 Times in 8,132 Posts

Just because you make it to the BOL doesn't mean Happy Ever After. You might need to go to an alternate at any time.

Skills and knowledge are the lightest things to pack on your back.

Security is tough for 2 people. Diesel noise can carry for miles, same for lights at night. The good news after 2 or 3 months there will be lots less dumb people, the bad news is the ones that are left will be smart and perhaps ruthless.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,738 Times in 2,602 Posts

Nomad life will kill most of your kids in a dire situation. Just check out the lines of refugees coming out of war-torn 3rd world countries. The routs are lined with the graves of the old and very young. Nomad is another word for refugee.

Plant thorny bushes around your perimeter at likely ingress areas, get a couple of dogs for early warning, make friends with your neighbors so there are more eyes AND someone who might show up if there's trouble.

In the mean time, nothings happening so settle in and enjoy life. If something should happen, you've chosen a spot the best you can now make a stand.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Our place is off of a highway and secluded. But not in rough terrain by any means so defensive measures will be a must. I like the community approach as well. The diesel generator is fairly quiet and would be a back up from the solar and wind. I know I'm over thinking this a ton.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Hiker

Quote:
The diesel generator is fairly quiet and would be a back up from the solar and wind. I know I'm over thinking this a ton.
Just an observation from the generator (and not slamming it as everyone around here has one for backup), it is louder than you think. Those low frequencies carry a long distance.

Have a person or group (don't know as they don't socialize with any of us) that live in a tent about 4 miles from my place. They run a generator a lot (likely their only power source). I can hear it just as loud as the coyotes less than 100 yards from my house. It is probably quiet to them.

Go to a bar with a live band playing and stand outside. Or a large outside concert venue miles away. Or the guy next to you on the road with his speaker volume on max. All you hear are the low frequencies.

Also, nothing wrong with overthinking things. Better to do that than not think about things and miss something important.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,877 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Our place is off of a highway and secluded. But not in rough terrain by any means so defensive measures will be a must. I like the community approach as well. The diesel generator is fairly quiet and would be a back up from the solar and wind. I know I'm over thinking this a ton.
It might be a good idea to build a (reinforced) concrete enclosure for the generator: generator stealing during emergencies is a big business. If I had one, I would go further (under WROL) and run it from within the house. It would have to be run once in several months for two hours, and redirect the exhaust is a peace of cake.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,172 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Any way you slice it has downsides. Security is obscurity. Speed is repetition of simplicity. If you can get to your BOL, so can anyone else. So the concept to me is more of a waypoint and better be far away from your actual home. You are using it to put distance between yourself and what you are running from. It's just part of a greater plan. BOLs as people seem to classify them, are remote, which makes them isolated. An isolated target is a lower risk target.

Thus I think BOLs as a waypoint are fine as long as you arrive first. Long term... the odds are against you though. You can't obscure your BOL if you are planning some sort of infrastructure. Just the way the world is now.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadeMurphy View Post
Any way you slice it has downsides. Security is obscurity. Speed is repetition of simplicity. If you can get to your BOL, so can anyone else. So the concept to me is more of a waypoint and better be far away from your actual home. You are using it to put distance between yourself and what you are running from. It's just part of a greater plan. BOLs as people seem to classify them, are remote, which makes them isolated. An isolated target is a lower risk target.

Thus I think BOLs as a waypoint are fine as long as you arrive first. Long term... the odds are against you though. You can't obscure your BOL if you are planning some sort of infrastructure. Just the way the world is now.
The real point of a BOL (whether people get it or not) is to lower the number of potential enemies. One STILL needs to prevail over the enemies that do exist.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6Niner View Post
Make the most visible part of your BOL a Marine Corps flag on a pole. Nothing says stay more than 500 yards away like that will.
Is the OP a Marine? Expect some very awkward conversations if not.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,966 Times in 3,817 Posts

I think in most scenarios, the whole point of a BOL is to have a place to make a permanent encampment of some sort where you can rebuild a life. If you are going to go nomadic, why bother with a BOL; just stay on the move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 03:32 AM

My plan is to stay put on my property, too much time and effort invested in fortifications to cut and run. If I'm caught away when SHTF I have a well planned out route of bins to take shelter in on my way home.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,166 Times in 7,823 Posts
Default bug out location security

My worry is trespassers,

Related thread - Trespassers scouting bug out location

You can have people scouting your location and you would rarely know they were even there.