Predators at bug out location - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Location, Location, Location – Depends on Where You Live Yehudi Urban Survival 13 07-17-2016 07:41 PM
ammunition seized from George Zimmerman’s home - location, location, location.... HarryWinters44 General Discussion 51 12-05-2013 03:36 PM
Predators and other pests barnetmill Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 03-06-2013 12:49 AM
BOLO Predators Whiskey Tango Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 11-26-2011 12:31 PM
Danger! Taking cell phone pics can pinpoint your location to predators/ thieves! patriot101 General Discussion 3 11-11-2011 11:08 PM
Urban Danger: Location, location, location Halkon Urban Survival 8 12-13-2010 06:04 AM
predators corndogggy Religious Discussion 45 10-08-2010 08:56 AM
How Do You ID Human Predators? Pinemarten Urban Survival 131 07-17-2009 03:48 AM
Predators of man after SHTF Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 06-27-2009 01:24 PM
Big Predators in Texas when SHTF Dwind Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 08-11-2008 09:03 PM

Old 12-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,694 Posts

Advertise Here

I like 2x4 welded mesh fence too. It makes a really nice fence if you run a pipe or something along the top. I don't bury mine though, because it will eventually rust out. I have a lot of stuff laying around from the previous owner, so I lay masonite siding on the outside of my fence right next to the bottom wire. So far no wabbits have dug under the fence into my gardens, but coyotes could be a little tougher to stop.

When I move to my place I will be getting some chickens, but I will make a chicken tractor. Google them. That way I can move them around to allow access to bugs and weeds. Also tractors are small enough to be completely enclosed. I have owls that would also probably like chicken dinners.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,342 Times in 794 Posts

your dogs should be trained NOT to eat out of traps and should be able to guard the chickens from possums, raccons and alarm against the coyotes.

Last edited by Neo nimrod; 12-04-2015 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,966 Times in 3,817 Posts

I have an old Remington 700 that is in 22-250 and it is a great varmint gun.

It is funny when you think about the fact that the exact same problems that used to be foundational issues for early settlers (and even farther back to the earlier humans who first domesticated animals) are the sorts of issues we will have at BOLs come SHTF.

Right this minute, some livestock get lost to predation and while it is a cost, they can be replaced. Later, it could mean the difference between life and death...

In a way, you can look at this as a prepping lesson. Are there things you can do to make your pens less vulnerable, make approaches to them less predator friendly, an the like?
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:

Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,868 Times in 925 Posts

Better protection at night for the chickens.

Live trap for excess possums [they have populations waxes/wans like all population cycles]. In theory you could get a very large live trap for excess raccoons/coyotes [expect that you will get the younger stupid ones - but if those aren't eating the other stuff, the rest of the coyotes/raccoons/possums have a larger food source and are less tempted by the chickens].

Also, you might catch an occasional feral dog which is also a danger to your chickens. Take that to the local animal control of disposition thereof in hopes they will test for rabies -- you can always say the dog was acting strange. [Ditto with any strange acting raccoons.] You want to know how active rabies is in your area -- and often if the Animal Control folks will extra vaccine bait any 'active' area.

Catching a neighbors' dog/cat can be dealt with calling the neighbor to come get it. [Oh, is this your dog/cat in my live trap? It looks a lot like Fluffy.] One, you are alerting your neighbor of their animal's activities, and particularly for cats the experience can be disturbing enough they won't come back. Dogs are another issue.

Live traps have the advantage of you don't have to spend all night sitting up outside. Just check them in the morning. [leave freshly emptied dog food can inside as bait].
Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,624 Times in 6,837 Posts

I agree with doing more in firming up your defenses and providing a safe place for your birds.

Coop them at night and 98% of your problems are locked out and taken care of. There are solar powered door opener/closers if your schedule doesn't jive.

Amazon.com : Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener :... cover
Amazon.com : Automatic Chicken Coop Door Opener :...
or:

http://www.chickendoors.com/products.htm

or:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/fi...-door-openers/

Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-xBfchh5w

Kind of expensive. I'd go the manual route if possible. Open at sun up and the birds will roost right about dark ready to close back up.

Provide a 2" x 4" woven wire fence for letting them out in the daylight and add an electric fence wire should anything try and dig under. Run one electric wire along the top so that in a chicken tries to fly up and land on it it will touch the fence ground and get shocked. They learn very quickly about shock.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Preditor Protection

Many good ideas here, but the first thing you should do is ensure your pens are in good shape to protect your critters. Once that is done go to the other ideas.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
possum are easy, bowl of dry cat food, pour some bacon grease over it, set it out by the chicken pen about dusk, flashlight and a 22 should take care of the issue, or box trap em. used to have to trap one for my grandmother every sunday, so it could be fed cornmeal and fattened up(cleaned out) for the following sunday for bait, use the most digusting smelling thing you can find, you will se how many you actually have. coyotes, round here, what works is a climbing tree stand, ( get out of scent level) and a rabbit scream call.last year we played with a coyote call, was hit and miss, got to catch em when they in season. dont miss though, they learn from every mistake, long as they survive it. some can get downright cunning. thing im having issues with is dillo's, not they hard to catch, just what to do with em all......
Possum on the half shell. Clean carefully,cook completely. Enjoy.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawiscoming View Post
If he could get his hands on some baleen he could solve this problem real fast.

ahhh the old eskimo wolf trap. sharpen a piece of baleen on both ends and double it it up inside some frozen meat.

varmit gulps frozen meat, body heat warms meat and the baleen springs open puncturing the stomach.

3 days later wolf dies.

the eskimos did it becuz the wolf was the main competitor they had to survive against. i can see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,223 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
ahhh the old eskimo wolf trap. sharpen a piece of baleen on both ends and double it it up inside some frozen meat.

varmit gulps frozen meat, body heat warms meat and the baleen springs open puncturing the stomach.

3 days later wolf dies.

the eskimos did it becuz the wolf was the main competitor they had to survive against. i can see it.
I am impressed that you know that.

They would tie it with a piece of thread increasing the chances that it will make it into the gut causing infection.

I heard that bamboo can also be used.

Try this one "We will plant a tree in her honor." PM me when you figure it out and you can not ask JDY he knows the answer.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawiscoming View Post
I am impressed that you know that.

They would tie it with a piece of thread increasing the chances that it will make it into the gut causing infection.

I heard that bamboo can also be used.

Try this one "We will plant a tree in her honor." PM me when you figure it out and you can not ask JDY he knows the answer.
"
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965

3 days later wolf dies.

the eskimos did it becuz the wolf was the main competitor they had to survive against. i can see it."

I cannot believe the amount of cruelty some on this site have towards animals. Why can't you just hunt them and shoot them? Why do you have to go for the cruel, vicious, agonizing kill methods?
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
I cannot believe the amount of cruelty some on this site have towards animals. Why can't you just hunt them and shoot them? Why do you have to go for the cruel, vicious, agonizing kill methods?

Perhaps because they realize that animals are a part of nature, that we are also animals who are a part of nature. And that nature is cruel.
The Following User Says Thank You to zorost For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Target Shooter

The way someone treats animals says a lot about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Padeen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,848 Times in 2,000 Posts

The way people treat people says a Whole lot more
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carney For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Target Shooter

Are you referring to me calling that guy a sick fuc*?
The Following User Says Thank You to Padeen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,848 Times in 2,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeen View Post
Are you referring to me calling that guy a sick fuc*?
I don't know what your talking about
Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorost View Post
Perhaps because they realize that animals are a part of nature, that we are also animals who are a part of nature. And that nature is cruel.
Nature might be cruel in many instances, but we are thinking creatures, and there is NO NEED to treat animals (or people for that matter) like that. Its abhorrent.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,238 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
"
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965

3 days later wolf dies.

the eskimos did it becuz the wolf was the main competitor they had to survive against. i can see it."

Because when you are living a true subsistence lifestyle the loss of even a single animal can spell the difference between life and death. Unlike how the TV shows depict it, living such a lifestyle is a FULL TIME job so those people don't have time to spend days tracking down and humanely(?) killing such predators.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,223 Times in 1,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Because when you are living a true subsistence lifestyle the loss of even a single animal can spell the difference between life and death. Unlike how the TV shows depict it, living such a lifestyle is a FULL TIME job so those people don't have time to spend days tracking down and humanely(?) killing such predators.
Also hunting them down means that you have to have a one on who knows how many encounter with them. It is a lot safer to leave these tidbits where one is sure they will find them.

Sometimes I think that people don't know that this forum is dedicated to the subject of survival.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 10:36 PM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,529 Times in 4,614 Posts

+1 on hardening the defenses.
+1 on the elec fence. I use solar chargers on my Guinea and Rabbit tractors so they are mobile.

The only thing I can add is LIGHTS. Set up the solar motion detection type. They are a nice surprise to night critters. You can get em for 40$ at Lowes and HD. I have not lost one bird or bunny to critters since setting my system up this way.

Hawks are a different story for me. I free range the Guineas During the day and will lose a few to hawks from time to time.

For the folks that are upset about the inhumane treatment of Predators... Feral Hogs and Coyotes are still Shoot on Sight in these parts. The hooks and Baleen are efficient. I have never done anything like that but at least now I know how.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Hiker

As stated, first tighten down the security of the birds. If you want them to be able to free range, which has great advantages in savings of food costs and reduced bugs around the place, it becomes more difficult. Trapping is your best bet. Those who critisize foothold traps don't understand them. They are designed to minimize damage and allow release of an unharmed animal if wanted. Snares often more effective on skittish or cagey animals. You need to get on some trapping forums and start reading the basics. One advantage of snares is that most dogs will not be harmed by them. My experience, as well as others, is that dogs seem to go into a "tied up" mode when snared and they won't continue to tug it down, but will be waiting for you when you make your rounds. Coyotes and foxes will run and tighten the snare down. Snares don't strangle, per popular conception, but restrict down the arterial blood flow to the brain so they black out and die.