Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me lighten my BOB!!! Ferris93 Ladies Section 19 11-14-2014 03:54 AM
Lighten up a bit. Domesticated_Primate Site Information & Suggestion Box 6 08-14-2014 11:35 PM
To Lighten the Mood Writer's Block Jokes, Humor & Music 2 05-09-2014 08:21 PM
WTT this Radio setup for my first hunting bow setup Duality1980 Looking for - want to buy 0 03-08-2013 05:05 PM
Need Help: Tips to Lighten BOB JayOlliver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 11-27-2012 10:39 PM
Let's lighten up! (zombies...) josht Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 01-23-2011 07:50 PM
General fighting load and bug out load 89M1009 Reviews and questions 12 06-11-2009 04:56 AM
We need to lighten up a little Willy-N Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 04-29-2009 09:00 AM
The Soldiers load VS a Survivalist load kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 10-09-2008 11:25 PM

Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,938 Times in 2,513 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam3030 View Post
I had big problems with my winter sleeping system as well, at first, takes half of my bag space, till I realized that I would always be sleeping next to a fire burning the crap out of my bag, I have since ditched the sleeping bag and basicly sleep with fire blanket near small fire, no worries on burns, and always warm. Yes it sucks to wake up and stoke fire, but I found good old canadian winters to cold for even my minus 34 celsius bag, and breathing in all that cold air all night, sickness is going to set in if it is for long time out in the woods. just my two cents.
Sleep by the fire? Sleep on the fire.
Bury the coals and sleep on top is pretty warm.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 02:32 PM

I used 64 ft of gill net, folded and gathered at the ends for a hammock. Weighs 1/4 lb and is plenty strong enough to hold a 200 lb man. it's 5 ft wide, so in shallow water, it could be cut in half, lengthwise, and form a pair of 10 ft diameter fish weirs, with good sized "wings" to guide the fish into the weir. Such a pair of weirs will feed you well, long term, any area where it's sensible to set up for the long term, at least.

i have a pair of large, no see um bug nets, which can be wrapped around my neck and kidneys for insulation, worn as a scarf, etc. I wear 3 pairs of socks when sleeping, if it's cold, it's amazing how much that helps! :-) Also, heating water and bringing it inside of the bag with me is an aid, for several hours. A little bottle of 10mg Ambien sedatives is essential, in my book. less than a gram.

I had a seamstress cut off the bottom of an SOL escape bivvy, and convert it into a drawstring hood. Replaced the material with regular, heavy duty space blanket. I'm a big guy, so I also had 8" of the blanket added down one side, with velcro seam, and velcro strips across the shoulders. It weighs 3/4 lb. I also have 1/2 lb of "heat bubbled" tyek liner for it (velcro seams) This combo is good down to +20F, given goretex cammies, soft armor, and merino wool longjohns, in the hammock, with a pair of tyvek bags 3x5 ft each, with velcro seams. I can put them around the hammock, like a pea pod, or open them flat like a tarp, fold them down like a tent, use them to hold or carry stuff, use them to catch rain, dew, or frost

If it's colder, I can stuff debris between the layers, or use a Dakota pit to heat big rocks and bury them under me. The bivvy doubles as a poncho,and all of the items can be used to catch insects, seeds and the like. No zippers to jam or brake, no stuffing to be lost, a hole in any of it can be patched with a bit of 100mph tape. Most importantly, getting any of this system wet has no effect on it! total weight, 3.5 lbs., about as much bulk as a football. Given the tremendous versatility, I''m happy to carry it.

The army says that hostilities virtually cease at +10F, so using a fire becomes an option, but you have to gather and haul a lot of wood, constantly. My set up is 4 season for me, cause I refuse to live where it gets colder than +20f, at least, not for long or often. Real winter protection has to be cached/protected from bugs, rodents and moisture/rot all the rest of the year, or lugged around. To hell with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwelltime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2015, 09:36 PM
ALIEN HYBRID

First off.... Merry Christmas everyone!!
So we had dinner at my sons today. And the ex in laws were there. It turns out Grammy is a regional a manager for the Goodwills in our area. So she is going to hook me up on a down sleeping bag. I told her a down bag 20 or lower. And she said no problem. I'm really excited about that! So now both of our bags will be lighter. I also got myself some Tyvek. So i plan on making a footprint for my Combat tent this weekend .

Last edited by CRE3P; 12-26-2015 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: spelling and correction