Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concealed - Fiction novel about concealed carry and prepping J.McDonald Knives Books, Movies & Stories 7 05-12-2016 01:58 PM
Open carry vs. Concealed carry Fepony Pistol and Revolver Forum 119 05-08-2016 05:22 PM
Post SHTF open carry or concealed carry? bobbydeadup Pistol and Revolver Forum 41 02-26-2016 12:02 AM
Concealed Carry or open carry? spymaster New Mexico 23 12-25-2015 08:46 AM
Open carry vs concealed carry Luke 22:35-38 Pistol and Revolver Forum 84 11-13-2015 05:50 PM
Snub Nose Revolver Caliber Question... 1charter Firearms General Discussion 36 11-07-2015 09:18 AM
Non-Concealed Carry Gun Stolen in Wal-Mart Bathroom- Because it Wasn?t Concealed AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 11 09-29-2015 03:59 AM
Concealed Carry: A Permit, a Carry Gun, and Marksmanship are Not Enough AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 07-28-2015 05:42 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry in SHTF mhneil Firearms General Discussion 102 07-30-2014 08:21 AM
SC concealed carry Alpha1234 Pistol and Revolver Forum 8 03-15-2010 02:36 PM

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

I have different small guns from a 2 inch S&W, 380 Colts, 22 derringers, Colt Officer's to the new Shield. I do like the revolvers, they are reliable and I have not had one fail. The autos can and do fail at times and so can the revolver. I agree when you are in a fight for your life in a phone booth it is pretty hard to tap and rack. On the other hand if you don't carry then it is a moot point. Get what you like and fits you life style. Where are you going to carry the gun. Some do not like the revolver because it is not flat and smooth like the auto. Too bad whatever you get, use it and know how it works.

When dealing with calibers, the 9mm is hot right now and its performance is very good. The 38 is an old cartridge and its performance is great. All you got to do if figure out what works best for you. The 9mm of my choice is 147 grain. The 38 I prefer the Barnes bullets because they work.

So what would l like in that phone booth? Whatever is big and massive, 44 mag or 45 long Colt all with the Barnes bullets. However that is not going to happen because I would not be carrying them. I would be carrying be carrying the 9mm Shield I carry off duty.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 10:46 PM

I carry a Taurus .38 spec I bought my Sweetheart the same pistol. both of us have CCW permits. I carry mine I love it since I purchased mine I wont "carry" any of my other pistols. I like the Hornady ammo for CCW don't matter the kind or type I don't have any specific one I like better. There is a lighter load for women and a regular load for anyone who likes a little kick. I like snub nose revolvers, I just wish I had a .357mag so I could have the best of both worlds.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJustice View Post
I've heard of plenty of guys using a snub nose revolver as a primary concealed carry weapon [and some carry a secondary compact automatic on their ankle ]. The idea that I generally hear is that the advantage is usually more stopping power per bullet, therefore less needed in a given situation. Anyone use a wheel gun for concealed carry? If you can shed more light, that would be great.
The "advantage" you hear is total nonsense. So, you think a .22 revolver has more stopping power than a .45ACP semiautomatic?

There are only three factors that apply here:
1. Caliber (not just bore diameter, but the actual caliber of the round)
2. Bullet design (FMJ, SWC, JHP, etc)
and
3. Muzzle Velocity (which for any specific caliber is largely determined by barrel length)

For any overall size and weight gun firing the same round, a revolver will generally produce a lower muzzle velocity, which means less energy, less expansion, and less stopping power.

But, of course, revolvers and semiautos rarely fire the same round.

You will find "snub nose" revolvers in .22LR, .38SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .357 Magnum, .327 Magnum (relatively scarce); and occasionally in .41 Magnum, .44 Special, and .44Magnum.

Of those, only .22LR and 9mm Parabellum are commonly found in semiautomatic pistols.

Similar size semiautomatics are commonly available in .22LR, .380ACP (9x17mm), 9mmMak (9x18mm), 9mm Parabellum (9x19mm), .357 Sig, .40S&W, and .45ACP

Round for round when you compare any SIMILAR bore diameter and the same bullet design, the only instances where the revolver wins is a 357 or hot 38 load against the assorted 9mm loads

The other commonly expounded nonsense is that a revolver is inherently simpler or more reliable than a semiautomatic. There are some small kernels of truth to this argument, especially if the person carrying the gun is grossly incompetent.
The Following User Says Thank You to xaunloc For This Useful Post:

Old 10-29-2015, 01:05 AM

I often carry my SW 642 -with Hogue Mono grips- in front pocket carry, backed up with a KelTec P32. The 642 is stoked with soft lead alloy SWCHP commercial reloads that have just a touch of extra powder added to the cartridge to aid expansion. Very controllable, but not quite the recoil of +P.

My KelTec, reliable as a brick, has a Corbon HP in the pipe and one on top of the magazine backed by hot European .32 hardball.

"We don't hold grudges. We remember the facts"

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM

John Dillinger is reported to have said "Never trust a woman or an automatic pistol".
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,758 Times in 5,387 Posts

LCR .357 loaded with .38 Spl +p for me. Pocket holster.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Target Shooter

For Church, business meetings, the grocery, and the mall I carry a model 36 Smith. If I have to go downtown it's going to be the 10mm glock in a shoulder holster With the 10mm I can also shell small islands as a hobby!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Ephemerally here

Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,739 Posts

Whatever You will carry EVERYWHERE. For My Wife, Her all Stainless, 640 S&W (.357 Mag, for non-gun folks)snubbie. For Me, a Sig P-220. She carries in Her purse or ankle, or garter, or underbra. I carry in a fake "Bible Case". Very slow draw.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:53 PM

I might add; look for Grant Cunningham's book on revolvers - - he makes some very good points - - as well as his comments on Mike deBethencourt's carry. (Look him up as well - - excellent wheel-gun trainer)
Also mentioned is John Farnham of D-T-I; "you're more apt to run out of time than out of ammunition".
Re: the post on the Charter Arms "Bulldog" - - if you have one that shoots POA = POI, you've got a keeper. I've owned 5 of the original 3" tapered barrel, 3-blued, 2-stainless, and one of the newer editions in "Tiger-Stripe". Regardless of what commercial ammunition or handloads I used, I just could not get one that was accurate - - they either shot low and left, or high and right or any combination of both. The "best" groups were somewhere on the order of 5" at 10-yards, which is like approx. 40-moa.+/-
I'm not 'recoil' shy, shot most of the magnums well, and the 45 in competition.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM
No Apology Southerner

As in any thread like this, there are always a few pompous types who infer that any who don't agree with their position are fools. I've learned over the years that most of those who post that sort of stuff haven't been around long enough to have made enough mistakes - otherwise known as "experience" - to know better.

I'll repeat the key points of my previous post:

... we need to be flexible and adaptable as our needs change.
... carry what you like to carry. Just make sure you carry.

• Find what works for YOU
  • Ignore the self-proclaimed "experts"
  • Choose a gun you can always carry, then always carry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ConfederateColonel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Prepared

I've found that old revolvers always have more stopping power than new polymer pistols.

They are almost guaranteed to stop me in front of a glass case for a longer look where as most polymer guns don't get a second glance.

Jokes aside, I mostly carry an HK P2000SK .40 but on occasion I like to take my great grandfather's Nickel plated H&R "The American" .32S&W long snubby with me instead. It's reliable and still works 100+ years later. Bit of an odd gun though. Six chamber fixed cylinder with a loading cutout on the right side, but no loading gate. Cylinder only locks when the trigger is pulled. If you leave a chamber empty (like you should) then the cylinder can move back and forth a bit and allow a round to line up with the loading cutout and if you pocket carry the round can slip out and fall out or tie up the cylinder. So you have to keep a fired cartridge in the "empty chamber" and set the firing pin in the spent primer to keep the cylinder locked and centered during carry. Like I said... odd design, but it works.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to destrux For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 03:57 PM
No Apology Southerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by destrux View Post
I've found that old revolvers always have more stopping power than new polymer pistols.

They are almost guaranteed to stop me in front of a glass case for a longer look where as most polymer guns don't get a second glance.
Excellent! That's one that everyone can like and agree with - even if they don't like revolvers.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 AM

Taurus 6-shot .357 w/o Hornady loads
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Prepared

S&W 442 in a pocket holster everyday and never felt the need for anything more. I suppose there is the possibility that I could be attacked by a zombie hoard or a biker gang, but if that happens nothing I am carrying will make much difference.

I happen to like .38+P better that the .380 or little 9mm's that only hold one or two more and I shoot the revolver better. IMO the revolver is more reliable and I choose not to carry a big gun everyday. I save big guns for Home Defense or woods roaming.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 11,235 Times in 5,096 Posts

The wife has an air weight in .38 spl that she carries. She has a Charter Arms .22 that she prefers to practice with.
I like the Charter Arms .44 spl with the three inch barrel.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,842 Times in 3,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJustice View Post
I've heard of plenty of guys using a snub nose revolver as a primary concealed carry weapon [and some carry a secondary compact automatic on their ankle ]. The idea that I generally hear is that the advantage is usually more stopping power per bullet, therefore less needed in a given situation. Anyone use a wheel gun for concealed carry? If you can shed more light, that would be great.
I have never met anyone who carries a snub nose as a primary and a semi-auto compact on their ankle as a back-up. A DAO AirLite conceals as well if not better than virtually any compact semi, so a dedicated revolver shooter would have little to no reason to deviate from the primary sidearm. I'm sure there are a few, but they are not the norm.

Perhaps if this thread was posted in the correct Firearms section, additional comments would be garnered.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,194 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickitt View Post
I've got to add a vote for the .38 special snubbie. I bought a 5 shot ultra light Taurus a few years ago because it was all I could afford at the time. Having owned it for a few years now I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Have the same one and feel the same way. It's one of my favorite conceal carries.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:49 AM
No Apology Southerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Have the same one and feel the same way. It's one of my favorite conceal carries.
I would not have bought the Taurus Ultralight, but I won one in a raffle at a Friends of NRA event about 10 years ago. Very nice little carry gun, except for the fact that I don't get to use it. My wife has claimed it as her own.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Three Percenter

I carry a Taurus .357 snubbie with a 5 round capacity. I don't remember the model number but it is near identical to the 617. (The 617 holds 7 rds.)

My load is 158gr. Federal Hyrda-Shoks. I typically carry a total of 10, 5 in the gun, 5 in my pocket. My reasoning is as follows.

1. I practice constantly with shot placement, multiple targets, and range. I can shoot a 3" group out to 30 yards. This gives me distance which equals time. If I am closer than that to those who wish to do me harm then shot placement will be that much better. Knowing I only have 5 rounds to start off with also helps keep me from the "accuracy by volume" mentality.

2. I am only going to shoot when I intend to kill. This means head shots when I know it is clear beyond my target and heart shots for the rest. Should someone be running at me then it will be center mass with a quick follow up shot.

3. Even though it is a DA revolver I only shoot it SA. I use the thumb of my support hand to pull the hammer back. This makes the gun much more stable than shooting DA and the trigger break is super clean because there is almost no travel.

4. If I can not feel comfortable with my load out I leave.

5. When I travel to areas that I KNOW I will will not be comfortable with that load out, I carry a S&W M&P 9 with 35 rounds of 127gr. Winchester Ranger (the black ones).

Other than that it is condition yellow anytime I am outside the house.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,884 Times in 775 Posts

Small revolver is far safer and easier to operate than a small automatic. More dependable in my opinion. Heavy flat nose lead bullets more effective.
More likely to be available than trick jacketed hollowpoints. You can cast them yourself also if need be.
You can show a novice how to operate a revolver and after 3 minutes of instruction he/she can use it close range to good effect.

Granted, small semiautos like the Ruger LCP are slightly more concealable and reload quicker. Those are their only advantages.