Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anybody gone this route? M16A1 DIY - Do It Yourself 10 04-24-2015 11:24 PM
How to route traffic through vpn snowmonkey The Tech Zone 9 02-08-2015 04:36 AM
Barter route Halkon Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 06-23-2012 08:28 AM
Step by step... how scientists analyse TEOTWAWKI A-Team Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 07-08-2011 07:54 PM
Woodland route to your BOL? Tryptamine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 03-07-2010 03:51 PM
Check bug out route.. haha49 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 11-04-2008 06:57 PM
Bug Out Route Dias Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 09-28-2008 03:04 PM

Old 08-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,060 Times in 5,278 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
I may have missed something, but I assume the BOL is in some kind of a cabin or rural ranch/house and is vacant? If it's just around 10 miles from your apartment/townhouse, is it possible to move into the BOL and just live there? I understand it when people are dozens of miles away from their BOL and cannot live out of it year round due to the work commute issues - but 10 to 13 miles? Just doesn't make sense to me.
My thought, is that a BOL that close is only 1 hour further away from getting over run, than he is now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Moving to the BOL now, if possible, was my very first thought as well. I'd also try to find a second bike and teach the better half to ride. Keep an eye on Craigslist for a bike baby trailer (my oldest daughter got a nice one in trade for some babysitting). Even when the baby is old enough to ride in a carrier instead of the trailer, you could use it for carrying gear. That would also give you a middle option between driving and walking.

I second the idea of planning for an overnight even only going 9 or 10 miles. I'm a firm believer in planning for the worst, at the very least if things go good you get a mild 'high' from being ahead of your plan.

And yea ... toliet paper!

Plan ahead and be safe.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Target Shooter

I'll swear, this is like listening to kids talk about a Boy Scout trip If your old enough to have children, you should already be able to build a fire in the middle of a creek in a rain storm! It ain't rocket science people. Take a bag of cotton balls, melt some parafine and dip the balls about half way in the parafine and sit them on a piece of wax paper to dry. Put them in a zip lock bag with a very small bottle of 100% alchahol and a bic. 2 or 3 drops on the dry side of the cotton ball gives you instant fire. No weight or bulk is involved. Dry tender is only as far away as the nearest pine knot! The next piece of flint rock you step on and the side of your ax is as much striker as you will ever need if your bic quits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Prepared

Just guessing, but from the sound of it, your BOL must be a family or friends house. You sound short on cash (like most of us), so I don't expect you own a place, while living in an apartment a dozen miles away.

If this is the case, I would become a news junkie, and leave before trouble starts. MOST problems have a few days notice to the well informed, if not, at least a few hours. In that time, no has panicked yet, and you can show up for a "visit"...

I agree about not needing that much ammo for the route distance, and that your gear and personnel are just too heavy and vulnerable for anything other than a car/SUV. That said, you need to get to safety BEFORE the general population is aware things are going to be really bad, and chaos ensues.

I would not trespass, period. Bad idea in Texas, or anywhere else for that matter, in a SHTF scenario.

With a pregnant or nursing wife, and a small child, you are highly vulnerable. Your best bet really is be the first one out of the danger zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsk65 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I may have missed something, but I assume the BOL is in some kind of a cabin or rural ranch/house and is vacant? If it's just around 10 miles from your apartment/townhouse, is it possible to move into the BOL and just live there? I understand it when people are dozens of miles away from their BOL and cannot live out of it year round due to the work commute issues - but 10 to 13 miles? Just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm still on page 1 so maybe this has been answered, but my first question was why aren't you living at the BOL if it's <10 miles away? From both financial and security perspectives, apartments are some of the worst places to live IMHO.

Also, your medkit needs some work. At the very least you should take some liquid diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and loperamide (Imodium). A bad allergic reaction can kill someone in your group before you make the BOL, and that's going to be a very rough and long journey if someone is sick with diarrhea. I'd also consider moleskin a requirement if you're hiking the whole way on foot.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Transport

Take a look at a used bicycle baby carrier, the 2 wheel kind you tow behind the bike. They roll easy on bicycle wheels, carry a reasonable amount of weight and fold down flat for storage. I got one free at the dump or tag sale cheap. Just pull it behind you loaded up.
The Following User Says Thank You to indawire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 PM

Default BOB

Set up in 4 layers,
1. what you need to survive, is on your person. Flight suit works good for this.
2. what you need in your basic waist pack to get to your stash or BOL,
3 what would be nice to have pack, but contents is used or tossed because you can not carry 60 / 100 lbs. of weight.
4. INCH bag, I am Never Coming Home Bag. Very heavy. You might want to find a use deer cart 350# to 500# capacity . Loaded right it will balance the load and not pull down on you. Mine is strapped to my pack belt. Remember the back pack load is carried on your hips not your shoulders. Use a good padded waist belt. Anyway ,set up like that your arms are free to carry a weapon, staff, light, ect.

Do some camping and look at lite weight camping blogs to see what is out there. Ounces turn to pounds pretty quick.

Best Regards, RangerRick
The Following User Says Thank You to RangerRick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,060 Times in 5,278 Posts

Are you *The* Ranger Rick? if so, who carries the poncho liner kits now'a days? Can they be gotten premade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
Set up in 4 layers,
1. what you need to survive, is on your person. Flight suit works good for this.
2. what you need in your basic waist pack to get to your stash or BOL,
3 what would be nice to have pack, but contents is used or tossed because you can not carry 60 / 100 lbs. of weight.
4. INCH bag, I am Never Coming Home Bag. Very heavy. You might want to find a use deer cart 350# to 500# capacity . Loaded right it will balance the load and not pull down on you. Mine is strapped to my pack belt. Remember the back pack load is carried on your hips not your shoulders. Use a good padded waist belt. Anyway ,set up like that your arms are free to carry a weapon, staff, light, ect.

Do some camping and look at lite weight camping blogs to see what is out there. Ounces turn to pounds pretty quick.

Best Regards, RangerRick
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM

Have you tried your on foot bug out? Try it solo first. Learn every obstacle, barking dog and look for ambush sites. Try humping that pack and see what becomes important. After a few trial runs try it with the family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishimo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM

I would take cloth diapers and something for diaper rash.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Look for a double baby jogger. You can attach rifle and shotgun scabbards to the sides carry your kids and some gear that isn't in your pack. your 9 mile trek will be much easier this way even if off road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonjo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 PM
High Concept

Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,317 Posts

Do some practice trips, look at potential hazards, look for potential LUPs, and places to cache gear.
You will also get a better picture of what you are carrying and why you are carrying it.
The more time you put in the field the easier it will be when you really have to bug out.

All the analysis in the world will not beat travelling those routes, try them all yourself, get completely familiar with all of them, you may need to change routes for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkitchens View Post
BOB will consist of:
16 inch pump 12g.
Don't forget to carry all the NFA paperwork showing you have paid the tax and gotten approval for your Class III Short Barrel Shotgun.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:31 PM

no that wont be possible with my route. I was discussing that with someone IRL yesterday. I Actually broke down late last night driving on the route. it showed me a few things.

There is not a light at all for the entire route, its dark as can be.
You can hear or see anyone coming for miles.
No one is coming. if they are, they mean trouble.
breaking down in front of a 70 year old abandoned shack is creepy.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I hope your shotgun is 18". Do you have a jogging stroller. One of those 2.5 gallon water jugs from the store are reasonably tough and reseal well.

Used Bic's are proven, new in the box ones are unknowns. A ferro rod is a better back up option than a 9V and steel wool. The batteries out of your flashlight will start steel wool (2 or 3 AAA held in series in your hand will work) but not as instantly as the 9V.

I wouldn't be carrying 200 rounds, the 2 30 rounds mags is enough. I'd pack extra socks, gum, baby changing needs (wipes, towels, diapers, toilet paper) instead.
i will only need the fire starting ability as a just in case during the 9 mile hike if it comes to it, so even if im not able to start a fire, it wont be a huge issue. We already have all the extras for the baby at the BOL, which is why we're only carrying minimum supplies. And I'm estimating on 200 rounds, which includes the 60 in the two mags. the shotgun is a 16 inch smooth bore. it's all i have. it places buckshot and slugs on target pretty well, so it will do.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,555 Times in 8,132 Posts

So a shotgun needs paper work or an 18" barrel ask Randy Weaver, you could ask Vicky Weaver; wait never mind the FBI shot her in the head holding her assault baby.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM

I would ditch these for more concealable hand guns. Carry 3 extra mags and that is it. If you get into a fire fight, where you end up using all 3 mags, you are likely shot and dying at that point anyway.

Go ahead and send me the money for the handguns and ill go pick them up.
This is what I have, so I make do with it.

For all 3 people 10qts, this is good. I would have each person carry a 2qt stainless steel bottle and a separate 2L water bladder. This system should also have a sawyer mini water filter and a bandanna to go with it.

Hard to make a baby carry water. I also have no intention of buying anything. We're financially very tight right now because my health took a dive last year. I'm not going to turn into a lifelong prepper. A single 2.5 gallon container will work fine, it's 9 miles, we're survive if it becomes damaged.I will get my hands on a means to sterilize water when i can, as we'll be crossing two large creeks en route, so those water sources will serve as backup.

A set up like that will give you near infinite potable water. Just fill the bladder, using the bandanna to prefilter larger particulates, put the sawyer filer on the end, and the clean water goes in the 2qt SS bottle. Additionally, the SS bottle can boil water as well. You can even cook in it if need be (although, I carry a separate cookset myself)

Again, it's a 3 hour trek with a secure well at BOL

I would drink the first quart right before leaving, and top off while you can.

9.5 miles is a 6 hour walk, at a snails pace. Assuming you will have food when you get there, the best option would be to pack a few days worth of trail mix (Heavy on dried fruits), and some beef jerky. Obviously the formula will be essential.

Normally it's a three hour walk, but i'm betting on it taking six, since murphys law says it will be at night and lots of stops will be needed to take cover and etc) So I'm thinking along the same lines as you on this. The formula will be a back up in case she cannot breast feed.

The problem with all the can foods, is that they are really heavy..and you are only going 9.5 miles anyway. You can skip lunch if you wanted, and probably not suffer all that much. I hike 10 or 12 miles without eating all the time.

Personally, I can last 72 hours on a single can of beans with no problems, even under stress (ask me how i know) my wife and kids are my concern. If its just us and our infant, the only concern is my wife, she will not be able to go more than 12 hours without some kind of food.

Although, if you are bugging out, you are in a crisis situation (or you would not be doing it). Having several days of food is essential. Things may not go as planned and you may get caught out longer than you thought.

you are 100% right, but I'm working on shortwave means to contact BOL about the situation and *should* have a means for EVAC if needed. Walking is plan z.

Good. This is shelter. You would be supprised at what you can survive with a good rain system and a good jacket. Carry one for each member no matter what. Weather reports can't be counted on in a crisis situation.

I haven't trusted a weather report in years. my biggest fear has always been tornados so i'be become quite a good amateur weatherman myself IMHO

I would carry that either way. Never leave the compass home.

Again I agree, but I will be able to reach BOL under nearly any circumstance without it, that's all i meant. I actually received a nice one last night that will do well and it's already added to the inventory

For me, I would use Seal-line waterproof socks instead. They are much lighter and just as water proof. When you get to the marsh, take off your regular pants, and just wear the ones from your rain system. Or even change into swim trunks (I would have them on underneath from the start). Then just switch to the seal line socks and go.

That gives you a functional way to cross the marsh, keeps your cloths dry, and is a world lighter than boots and waders.

Those are some good points, but I'm finding that crossing through the wood will not be a practical option at all, the road will have to be our path. if it is not possible, I'll be forced to return to home and bug in.

I would have a good pocket folder as well. Something like the blade found on a multi tool, or a Buck 110. If for some reason you get caught out over night, a lightweight folding saw might also be an option, but that would be a convenience, not a necessity.

I keep a leatherman multitool in my pocket every day, but good point, I have another, it will go into the bag.

You need to focus on reality here. That starts with an HONEST assessment of your fire making skills. How good are you? My thought is that your choices reflect a lack of fire starting skill (The 9V batter/steel wool is a give away....it's a gimmick to impress the girls...not a real method anyone would rely on)

I've never had a problem with this method, i learned it as a correctional officer and it has served me well. I'm not a fan of your perceived attitude but I'll ignore it in favor of knowledge. I'm not the best at starting fires, never have been, that's why I chose these methods, they are easiest and they are reliable. Besides, as i said above these arent things I will likely need at all, and even if i do, i doubt i will trust a fire anyway because i will be close to a road, where detection is possible.

So going with the idea that you have minimal fire making skills, you are going to need as much help as possible. So, lets explore the options:

The novice will have a lot of trouble getting a fire going. They often completely empty bic lighters, and use a whole box of matches just to get one fire. So we need flame extenders to help you conserve those ignition sources.

I'm not the best at starting fire, but i'm better than that.

I would carry the 3 bics, and a pack of waterproof/storm proof survival matches as my ignition sources. One pack for each member. Then I would add three 9 hour food warmer candles (like the kind a caterer would use when they cater food to a party), 3 packs of self relighting birthday candles, 3 small bottles of hand sanitizer, 3 tubes of Vaseline and a ziplock bag of cotton balls.

The hand sanitizer is flammable and held back as a last resort. What you would do is build your base fire structure (see Dave Canterbury vds on a "Fire Lay" and any vid on Boyscout fire teepees.). Use the bic to quickly light the birthday candles and try to THEM light your fire structure. That is what conserves your lighter fuel. If that does not work, you may need more help. Smear the cotton balls in the Vaseline, and out those under the fire structure and light them. In wetter conditions, you may need to dry out damp tinder. that is where the food warmer candle comes in.

This concept preserves your lighter and matches, and instead uses a larger, cheaper, 'light and easy to carry' extender to do the actual work. I have never seen a faster or more reliable way to have fire in the woods. The only thing I would add for more experienced guys is a magnesium rod and firesteel combination.

The magnese rod and firesteel would be a waste in my pack. Everything else you listed i am well aware of, but it would be overkill. I'll have no problem finding good kindling even if it is raining. I value your input, i'm simply defending my choice of firestarters on the basis of practicality. I will however consider cotton balls in vasaline, I meant to list that in the original post.

I would upgrade to a titanium one. It is abut the same weight, and is much, much more capable. You may need it for fire management if you get caught out over night.

again, overkill for my situation.

I would add some for of antihistamine for bug bites and unexpected allergic reactions. Also add antibacterial gel for cuts and wounds.

very good idea, thank you.

These are always good!

I would keep a 8X10 tarp, a furlined fleece or wool hoodie and a roll of #36 contractor grade Mason's line for each member as well. Additionally, I would keep a complete change of cloths, and extra sox & skivies. Remember, you are in emergency conditions. Unexpected things can severely alter your plans and you may need to make your own shelter for the night.

we can survive one night without this, and will do better without the added weight. We've both slept on the ground in the wood quite a bit in the three seasons. For winter I will def. be packing things to keep us warm. I do think it might be wise to carry something for the baby though.

Overall your advice is very helpful, but not totally practical in regard to my given situation. Only a fool would carry firesteel and a magnesium rod as one of his primary methods of firestarting in a real emergency. It would make a great backup if you have nothing else at all though. I want to pack light enough to make on foot travel as fast as possible, since it is a relatively short distance. were it only me, i would take nothing more than my rifle and some water, and if i suspected i would be kept out longer than anticipated i would kick in the first door I saw after that point and take what I need (there are houses scattered on the road i'm traveling) but it's not just me, and I cannot afford needless confrontation. The reason i chose this route is because the likelyhood of meeting armed resistance is very, very, very low in nearly ANY scenario, so I do not anticipate being kept out more than 10 hours for anything less than meteors falling.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldimagery View Post
I assume you BO location is well stocked.

1. Being a Texas native myself, if the weather is bad I wouldn't cross a flooded creek with my wife and small kids. Make a shelter, and a fire and wait it out. It won't take long.

2. Fire, with small children you would need a fire quick, bring some tinder. Everything you need to make the tinder is in your medics cabinet.

3. You have a bag for your gear already, you don't have to buy one. Does your kid go to school? If so his backpack can be used. He can carry a gallon of water. Make sure he has an emergency whistle if you get separated. His favorite toy too. That will help him cope. Your wife's diaper bag will work too. Her purse, do you work out? Did you in high school? Still have that gym bag? There are options here think creative about it. There is also this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb79ATSEZBc

4. I didn't see toilet paper.

5. Take advantage of back to school sales and go buy a book bag. My wife's bag is a janssport. Pretty tough bag.

6. I wouldn't ditch your boots. Your shoes and your knife are than the gold in your pocket. If they get wet. Stop, build a fire, and a shelter and warm up.

7. Get another knife. Never leave home without two. Yes, a multi-tool with a blade counts.

8. Sling for your rifle and shotgun? Who will carry those? Your hands will be full without a pack plus you want to keep your hands free to take care of tasks.
Yes, that's what I meant when i said a cheap bag. we have several backpacks and diaperbags. Taking the road there are well build bridges. There is a spot on the road that is prone to flooding but it is safe to navigate under most circumstances. i totally forgot toilet paper, though it was on the list in my head at the time of writing. I only meant that the rainboots could go if the weight was too much. i just put a leatherman multitool in the inventory after someone else mentioned that. Have slings for the sks, but still working on one for the shotgun.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbcody View Post
If you think it will take 3 hours on foot to get to your BOL, then in a SHTF event it will probably take 9 to 12 hours, which might leave you out overnight. Add in extra travel time for stress from dealing with event,baby/small child and wife. I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law (Whatever can do wrong, will go wrong), so I firmly believe a SHTF event will also occur during the worst weather your area has ever seen (think of traveling on foot in extreme heat, cold, rain and/or snow). I would add:

1. tarp and 550 cord (just in case you need shelter)
2. couple usgi ponchos and liners (just in case you have to stop and overnight it).
3. Unscented bug spray
4. Unscented wet wipes
5. A fire starting kit and a small cook stove (I like Trangia Spirit Burner with a yellow bottle of HEET as fuel)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NCGAN7VKSMBKY3

6. Some way of purifying water and a small pot (to either cook, boil, or purify water).
7. Add in a couple pouches of lightweight backpacker food (Mountain House is pretty good). Lots of cheaper options from Ramen noodles, instant oatmeal, to a jar of peanut butter and crackers.
8. For a pack either get a good one (go to an REI or quality outdoor store, get fitted right and buy right the first time) or get Military surplus pack like a medium ALICE (do the Hellcat mods), MOLLE II or Marine's ILBE.

Since you are going from point A to point B, I would try to save some weight by putting a buried cache or two somewhere along your route. Another option is a trail cart or one of those heavy duty running/jogging strollers to push or pull.
Trailcart is a good idea. I'm assuming a 10 hour trek by foot and i too am a firm believer in murphy's law (broke down in car on that very route last night less than 30 seconds after saying "This really would be a ****ty place to break down") and then today, my neighbor said mother-in-law would have probably have a flat after riding in the ditch to get to us (for some reason), and what do you know, that flat happened to us 2 hours from home this afternoon, and she did not have a spare) i'll i'll carry trailmixes and things of that nature, A cookset will be unneeded weight, esp. since I do not plan to make a fire, if I can avoid it. weathergear will be enough for us to sleep in if bad weather happens. Snow in east Texas? That alone would be SHTF for most around here, lol.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
BOL is family & friend owned entire street. All like minded and prepared very well for SHTF. Most have established means for being off the grid, including several wells, and large gardens, food storages, secure perimeters and lots and LOTS of guns. Its nearly the best thing anyone could hope to have in SHTF. Though it wont be possible for me to move there and live unless I fell into a pit of money deep enough to build myself a small cabin. The general overall plan is that family members living outside of the street will return as possible and then the street will be secured/closed and patrolled in two or three man fire teams around the clock. it's hard to have so many people work toward the same goal but we have worked toward it for years.