What are the deepest lessons you've learned from Martial Arts? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional martial arts or mma Grass hopper Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 95 06-18-2017 10:23 AM
Martial Arts trail walker Health, Fitness and First Aid 89 04-05-2016 10:30 PM
Martial Arts Promotions PhotonGuy General Discussion 35 01-11-2015 10:33 AM
Martial Arts Renegade Coach Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 64 08-15-2014 03:43 AM
Kid's martial arts Stealthy1 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 6 12-04-2012 11:17 PM
Who here practices Martial Arts? Vanishing Nomad General Discussion 38 08-03-2012 10:26 AM
What system have you learned for Self Defense (NOT Martial Arts) deanathpc General Discussion 10 02-24-2011 07:19 PM
Martial Arts SilverSpLou Health, Fitness and First Aid 35 01-09-2011 08:09 AM
Martial arts AffairAtLexington Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 80 10-10-2009 04:06 PM
Martial Arts for the Prepper ready1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-05-2008 12:56 PM

Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,549 Times in 8,150 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
the best you can expect is to have to get stitched up by a MPs wife (off duty nurse) at her kitchen table. that one was 64 stitches. and I won..... still to this day trying to figure out exactly what i won.......
You won confidence through the crucible of experience.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Rational Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce001 View Post
So what are some of the deeper lessons you've learned from the martial arts?
Starting from a very young age...discipline, self-respect, respect for others.

As i got older i learned...how it feels to be knocked around and not lose your ****, maintaining awareness while being beaten on (sparring and real world application) and dishing it out(in a controlled manner)

I recommend martial arts to everyone. It's like firearms, pick the one "style" YOU are comfortable with and train,train,train

my personal journey was karate, jeet kune do, and muay thai

Last edited by MikeK; 09-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Do not bypass the language filter. Reread site rules for clarification.
The Following User Says Thank You to jc74 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,348 Times in 11,462 Posts

Rhonda, at the invite of a young Marine, will be attending tha Marine Corps Ball. all i can say is Outstanding Young Marine!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default I also learned deflecting the blade hand and slightly missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
You won confidence through the crucible of experience.
the wrist, hit just a tad high i did. hurts like hell and leaves a mark.......
Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 PM
are we there yet??

I have come to realize that the more you learn gives you the ability to understand how much you don't know.

I also learned that for those that think martial arts have no street credit either haven't been in any fights or they have never trained for years consistently. just my own 2cents.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone Hammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

the second lesson i learned, or lesson i strive to uphold might be a better way to say it, situational awareness. no matter where you are be aware of your surroundings, and what is transpiring around you. that one has bit me in the tail more than once, as in growing complacent,in a area you feel is always safe, and letting down your guard....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 AM
Toilet Paper Hunter

Thanked 2,372 Times in 615 Posts

I did all that stuff 30 years ago, now I am too old and dont like to fight anymore. If you pull that crap out on us old guys we will probably hurt you real bad real quick. But as you have asked the question.

1 know what is going on around YOU all the time
2 know when to leave the area
3 keep them out of your bubble (if they cant touch you your ok)
4 do not get mad, doing so will make you do everything wrong
5 there is no such thing as a fair fight
6 normally no one wins, there is just a lesser degree of loss
7 If you have to fight, finish it as quickly as possible. (the older you get the more important this becomes)

I avoid fighting as much as possible. If your in a fight with me, you started it and I have no other choice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oddgunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Always thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddgunner View Post
I did all that stuff 30 years ago, now I am too old and dont like to fight anymore. If you pull that crap out on us old guys we will probably hurt you real bad real quick. But as you have asked the question.

1 know what is going on around YOU all the time
2 know when to leave the area
3 keep them out of your bubble (if they cant touch you your ok)
4 do not get mad, doing so will make you do everything wrong
5 there is no such thing as a fair fight
6 normally no one wins, there is just a lesser degree of loss
7 If you have to fight, finish it as quickly as possible. (the older you get the more important this becomes)

I avoid fighting as much as possible. If your in a fight with me, you started it and I have no other choice.
Amen! Summarized my views and situation accurately and succinctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfxman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM
COLD HEARTLESS BREED

Awareness, practice all your senses, intuitions, interpret your surroundings, at first mistakes but learn from them.

don't sidestep a kicking mule, avoid it before you pass by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsitenha For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Old Fart

treat a fist fight like a gun fight. shoot to kill
The Following User Says Thank You to trinity93 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 AM

years of bjj, muay thai and mma...

the lesson: when you are in the moment, not thinking just reacting and breathing you will always perform your best. rely on your training.

rolling with dudes for hours you find a sweet spot between conserving energy and staying contious and finishing folks

its like a mindless state very zen. just reacting and staying loose and not thinking about your next move just taking what is given to you.

second lesson: dont mess with too much head trauma you have lots of life left to live. gym wars can leave a mark
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dodubb For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,208 Times in 503 Posts

it is a journey
The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyHomestead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 01:39 AM

what I learnt : 99% of martial arts training has no relevance or help in the ambush or any real self defense benefit. Most give false confidence. A rule I practice 90/10 you must practice 90% situation awareness and de-escalation and 10% gross motor defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to woobla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 01:06 PM

I don't know if boxing is considered a 'martial art', I personally look at it more as a sport than a self defense system, but here are some good lessons I've learned from the few years I have under my belt.

1. Speed kills
I've seen sluggers get wrecked by guys who cant hit half as hard, just because they could move, get out of the way, and hit more often.
2. No one cares about your muscles
Similar to the first point, technique beats brute force. Guys that come into the gym bragging about how they're 'street fighters' and/or they lift weights all the time and are stronger than everyone else, typically get the crap kicked out of them.
Related: Bodybuilder vs boxer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-NP-wgj3U
3. Cardio
If you're gonna get into a fight, make sure you can last until the end of it.
4. You'll survive getting hit
This is more an issue with people just learning to fight, people afraid to get hit. Learn to take a hit, understand that you'll survive, and keep fighting through. Not a huge issue in martial arts training, but if it's a real fight where your survival might be at stake, you can't ball up and try to avoid taking any damage at all after the first hit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 01:15 PM

I learned there's a big difference in an accomplished martial artist than a fool who thinks he is one..........

You are never better than your sensei........and he better be a great one.

If your training is no good in a fight then you have been trained wrong.......

Know your capabilities and your limitations. Never fight except for your life.........

And train, train, train, ..........work it baby and sooner or later it will come back to you in a good way.........

Its a way of life- a state of mind......

What I say
The Following User Says Thank You to Insector For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,040 Posts

The lesson I learned from martial arts is that like most things in life people expect something for nothing, and like most industries there are people selling them this nothing and telling them its something. Growing up in Australia in the 70's and 80's when everything still settled by fists saw a karate or aikido or kungfu guy get bashed by drunks in clubs each week. Did not take long to work out there was a whole industry of suckers out there paying money for belts that often don't work. Made my choice in boxing and wrestling, which took care of 99% of situations.(We hadn't seen BJJ at that stage, though were aware of Judo's basics)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

1. Fast disarming techniques....
2.And situational awareness.....
3. Time spent in a shotokan dojo is actually a great stress reliever... Lol.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,271 Times in 5,561 Posts

From observations on the street, in the military and in prison.

Fancy pajama dances are worthless against skilled and experienced street fighters.

So Asian martial arts are a joke against other skills where the person knows something. The Bruce Lee movies and the Karate Kid series got a lot of scrawny, gullible kids to fork over a lot of money and time into thinking they were learning fancy fighting skills and when it came down to it, they got their butts kicked and were left in pain and horrible astonished.

The ground fighters I noted did well against Asian style martial artists, as did skilled boxers, and what we use to call 'free style'. The ground fighting stuff impressed me. A friend of mine, a highly skilled martial artist considered it an art form, good for some self discipline but utterly worthless for anything but competition. He resorted to grappling on the day he had to deal with two use of force incidents in the same day because they were much more effective. Russian and Israeli stuff smokes the Asian stuff...and straight out thugging and gooning does as well...then came the UFC and the MMA...those are insanely difficult to deal with.

People should have known this back before the boxer rebellion. Europeans, Indians and Sikhs in British service, and Americans smoked the Boxers in hand to hand combat, armed and unarmed. Prior to the full out fighting, many unarmed fights took place between the sailors, Marines and soldiers of various 'western' Nations and the rebellous Chinese and the Chinese quickly resolved they needed to resort to weapons. Many military men back then were pugilists. In our American West, a handful of Railroad goons could keep thousands of Chinese in line with primarily physical force and a few firearms. Americans had a lot of tough SOB's and they use to like to fight a lot. We've changed.

Against someone unaware, untrained, and drunk, judo, karate, all that stuff works, but so does simple aggression and planned moves of any kind. This is just my opinion. I'm too old, big and lazy to do more than I need to goon someone, giving the horrific problem that deescalation and avoidance didn't work. Besides, now, if I'm just going about my personal business, and there's some sort of physical altercation, there will be assault charges involved because I certainly didn't provoke and likely tried to stop any violence and that means it's an out of control situation with criminal activity, hopefully, very unlikely considering most of my choices on what places and times I avoid. Work is a different matter.

I'm not saying that if someone wants to learn fancy pajama dances and pretend that it's 'martial' arts they shouldn't. I encourage them...they might be competition for my sons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
From observations on the street, in the military and in prison.

Fancy pajama dances are worthless against skilled and experienced street fighters.

So Asian martial arts are a joke against other skills where the person knows something. The Bruce Lee movies and the Karate Kid series got a lot of scrawny, gullible kids to fork over a lot of money and time into thinking they were learning fancy fighting skills and when it came down to it, they got their butts kicked and were left in pain and horrible astonished.

The ground fighters I noted did well against Asian style martial artists, as did skilled boxers, and what we use to call 'free style'. The ground fighting stuff impressed me. A friend of mine, a highly skilled martial artist considered it an art form, good for some self discipline but utterly worthless for anything but competition. He resorted to grappling on the day he had to deal with two use of force incidents in the same day because they were much more effective. Russian and Israeli stuff smokes the Asian stuff...and straight out thugging and gooning does as well...then came the UFC and the MMA...those are insanely difficult to deal with.

People should have known this back before the boxer rebellion. Europeans, Indians and Sikhs in British service, and Americans smoked the Boxers in hand to hand combat, armed and unarmed. Prior to the full out fighting, many unarmed fights took place between the sailors, Marines and soldiers of various 'western' Nations and the rebellous Chinese and the Chinese quickly resolved they needed to resort to weapons. Many military men back then were pugilists. In our American West, a handful of Railroad goons could keep thousands of Chinese in line with primarily physical force and a few firearms. Americans had a lot of tough SOB's and they use to like to fight a lot. We've changed.

Against someone unaware, untrained, and drunk, judo, karate, all that stuff works, but so does simple aggression and planned moves of any kind. This is just my opinion. I'm too old, big and lazy to do more than I need to goon someone, giving the horrific problem that deescalation and avoidance didn't work. Besides, now, if I'm just going about my personal business, and there's some sort of physical altercation, there will be assault charges involved because I certainly didn't provoke and likely tried to stop any violence and that means it's an out of control situation with criminal activity, hopefully, very unlikely considering most of my choices on what places and times I avoid. Work is a different matter.

I'm not saying that if someone wants to learn fancy pajama dances and pretend that it's 'martial' arts they shouldn't. I encourage them...they might be competition for my sons.
Agree totally. Most of the ''McDojo'' styles don't work. They actually do work if trained properly, that is full contact, with strong emphasis on fitness and utilising grappling, which most traditional styles actually have in their writings somewhere. But less than 5% of clubs bother with it.

Real useful fighting training(aka boxing, kickboxing, MMA, sambo, BJJ, etc) is damn hard work and therefore doesn't draw big memberships. So called ''Senseis'' realise the average folk doesn't want to break too much of a sweat. If he can convince dad and the kids they are turning into Bruce Lee for a modest fee, he'll get ten times the membership. Dad and the kids will probably never get in a fight and find out it doesn't work anyway, so its a safe deal. And that is why the MA industry is 90% misguided people.

Also agree about the mysticism of Asian martial arts and warfare making no sense. When Asian forces had enough being beaten by the west, they dropped their codes, systems, traditional styles and copied ours. There are no shoguns or feudal lords left in Asian armies after all- its all privates, corporals, captains, and colonels etc.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

If you're still fighting after five seconds, your opponent is better then you expected and your tactics are wrong.